Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

A plea to thou map God, Jison

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> A plea to thou map God, Jison Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
A plea to thou map God, Jison - 3/30/2015 3:30:20 AM   
montanaza

It has been mere weeks since my last post

I look to these forums daily, in hope of mapping salvation, yet to no avail

I know many have asked before me but a sign, just a screen grab perhaps to show my diligence and faith were not misplaced? Oh how much I long for the high contrast goodiness for witw

Until tomorrow's visit..

Post #: 1
RE: A plea to thou map God, Jison - 3/30/2015 7:56:35 AM   
reggimann

I feel with you, montanaza, as I too visit the modding section every day in hope of reading about a mapping project.

I will continue to do so. Faithfully and with high hopes.

(in reply to montanaza)
Post #: 2
RE: A plea to thou map God, Jison - 3/30/2015 9:34:27 AM   
LiquidSky

Actually the original map for WiTW is not bad. It may be one of the first computer wargames I have played where I haven't had the urge to change the map.

The counters on the other hand I had to de-flatten.

“My logisticians are a humorless lot … they know if my campaign fails, they are the first ones I will slay.” – Alexander the Great

(in reply to reggimann)
Post #: 3
RE: A plea to thou map God, Jison - 3/30/2015 10:32:57 AM   
morvael

If I remember what Jison said, the chances for such map are slim. WitW uses a tiled map engine, where map images is glued from single hex images on the fly (there might be several variants of given terrain hex, so the map does not look very repetetive to the eyes). This has the advantage of being able to fix the map in patches, without having to rework map graphics. Downside is there is no chance to use beautifully painted/drawn maps.

(in reply to LiquidSky)
Post #: 4
RE: A plea to thou map God, Jison - 3/30/2015 11:19:00 AM   
RedLancer

As morvael says the tiled map does have a big impact on the likelihood of a map mod but I'm not sure whether it is more difficult just quite different. 

During WitW alpha testing when the map construct was much, much simpler I created a Jison version of the WitW map in a couple of hours but cutting and pasting patches out of his WitE map and using them as tiles.  You see the beauty of the tiled map is that the game puts all the terrain in the right place for you.  My conversion was only possible in such a short time because at that stage in development each terrain type had only one tile and the weather was not added.  The map you see now is much more complex because as morvael highlights each hex type now has a range of different tile variations - especially where they are blended between terrain types.

What I'm trying to say is that a Jison 'style' map is very possible but it would be somewhat different to that you see in WitE.  The editor contains all the tools needed to arrange the tiles but you do need the graphical expertise to create the mosaic tiles first.  Changing the map text is also quicker although you are limited to text in straight lines.

John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev

(in reply to morvael)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> A plea to thou map God, Jison Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI