Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Name This One

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Name This One Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Name This One - 8/5/2015 8:01:36 PM   
geofflambert

I think that's a winner, though Every time I look there's a different spelling. Here's the whole pic

Attachment (1)

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 31
RE: Name This One - 8/5/2015 8:02:21 PM   
geofflambert

Here's a closer version of that rifle

Attachment (1)

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 32
RE: Name This One - 8/5/2015 8:13:27 PM   
geofflambert

On that ship pic, the date would've been in 1894 and the caption would be from that year. Reprinted in 1901. It was subsequently destroyed in a different port by Army/Navy action.

You know, I'm not sure I'm seeing that date correctly, but I know it was first published in a different paper. But this is shortly after the 1894 Battle of the Yalu River otherwise known as the Battle of the Yellow Sea.

< Message edited by geofflambert -- 8/5/2015 9:18:39 PM >

Post #: 33
RE: Name This One - 8/5/2015 8:15:55 PM   
geofflambert

On that rifle, the Gurkha pics I saw before (but can't find now) only had two ventilation slots on each side rather than three. That would probably ID the mfg.

Post #: 34
RE: Name This One - 8/5/2015 10:40:23 PM   
wdolson

With the picture of that ship, it looks like a giant dunked his mug in the foreground left.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

Post #: 35
RE: Name This One - 8/5/2015 10:43:07 PM   
geofflambert

I think it's a buoy but I don't know

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 36
RE: Name This One - 8/6/2015 12:56:56 AM   
pnzrgnral

The picture of the WWII US soldier holding what appears to be an FN-FAL looks like the character Gage (Cage?) from the early-60's TV show COMBAT! aired on ABC. Can't be a real WWII photo due to the weapon, so it might well be the TV show.

Rangers Lead The Way!
Sua Sponte

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 37
RE: Name This One - 8/6/2015 1:28:29 AM   
AW1Steve

The best I could research is that the photo was taken in Holland in 2010
, and is a ww2 re-enactor who for some reason is holding a FN FAL. My guess is that he was talking with a active duty European soldier and asked to be photographed with it. Kind of a "Gee , wouldn't ww2 be different if we had these?" type moment.

Here was the quote on pintrest:

Pentax

CAVEAT: This is not a genuine World War II photograph. It is instead depicts a re-enactor photographed by Floris Oosterveld in 2010 in Holland, though with equipment incorrect for the wartime period. The uniform and web gear are from various NATO countries, and he is carrying a Fusil Automatique Léger (or FAL, "Light Automatic Rifle") produced by the Belgian armaments manufacturer Fabrique Nationale de Herstal dating from 1954. The only American item in the picture is the helmet.

< Message edited by AW1Steve -- 8/6/2015 2:32:40 AM >

(in reply to pnzrgnral)
Post #: 38
RE: Name This One - 8/6/2015 1:36:40 AM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: pnzrgnral

The picture of the WWII US soldier holding what appears to be an FN-FAL looks like the character Gage (Cage?) from the early-60's TV show COMBAT! aired on ABC. Can't be a real WWII photo due to the weapon, so it might well be the TV show.

Right, the series with Vic Morrow who was killed along with a child he was holding trying to make a movie and a helicopter crashed on top of them?

(in reply to pnzrgnral)
Post #: 39
RE: Name This One - 8/6/2015 1:41:43 AM   
AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

quote:

Right, the series with Vic Morrow who was killed along with a child he was holding trying to make a movie and a helicopter crashed on top of them?

I'm afraid that's not Pierre Jalbert ("Caje") . And I have everyone of the episodes. He always carried an M-1

Attachment (1)

Post #: 40
RE: Name This One - 8/6/2015 1:45:25 AM   
geofflambert

Here's Caje (Pierre Jalbert)

Attachment (1)

Post #: 41
RE: Name This One - 8/6/2015 1:46:33 AM   
geofflambert

Curses, Steve beat me again.

Post #: 42
RE: Name This One - 8/6/2015 1:52:20 AM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

I'm afraid that's not Pierre Jalbert ("Caje") . And I have everyone of the episodes. He always carried an M-1

You have every one? In my recollection they were always the same. There was always an Italian or French girl and they were always trying to keep the girl, or her parents, or her little brother from getting killed.

How do you tell these episodes apart? Are you sure you didn't get scammed by some sharpie selling you multiple copies of the same episode?

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 43
RE: Name This One - 8/6/2015 2:11:33 AM   
rogueusmc

A friend of mine has one...actually, two friends have one but I have shot this one. They are great shooters!

There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.

Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 44
RE: Name This One - 8/6/2015 2:17:46 AM   
pnzrgnral

Crap! My mistake about Cage - can't think of the name but it was the BAR man. Been more than a few days since I watched COMBAT! Good catch.

Rangers Lead The Way!
Sua Sponte

(in reply to rogueusmc)
Post #: 45
RE: Name This One - 8/6/2015 3:04:00 AM   
wdolson

quote:

I thought that was the Twilight Zone movie.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

Post #: 46
RE: Name This One - 8/6/2015 3:10:21 AM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

quote:

Bill

I was being rather loose, no that didn't occur during the TV series.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 47
RE: Name This One - 8/6/2015 12:31:53 PM   
AW1Steve

Jack Hogan played Kirby. Much of the early episodes showed him cajoling Saunders (Vic Morrow) into letting him be the "BAR man". The BAR was usually carried by the biggest guy in the squad (it weighed 22 pounds without ammo) and the most steady. It was the one weapon that had enough firepower to "break" an ambush. So a squad leader chose who carried the BAR VERY carefully.

Post #: 48
RE: Name This One - 8/6/2015 12:32:28 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

Jack Hogan played Kirby. Much of the early episodes showed him cajoling Saunders (Vic Morrow) into letting him be the "BAR man". The BAR was usually carried by the biggest guy in the squad (it weighed 22 pounds without ammo) and the most steady. It was the one weapon that had enough firepower to "break" an ambush. So a squad leader chose who carried the BAR VERY carefully.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 49
RE: Name This One - 8/6/2015 12:33:46 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

quote:

Bill

I was being rather loose, no that didn't occur during the TV series.

In 1975 (when he was killed) Morrow was trying yet another comeback. He had a very "up and down" career.

Post #: 50
RE: Name This One - 8/6/2015 3:13:32 PM   
AW1Steve

OK....so we've migrated from "grafted airplanes" to Chinese (later Japanese) "battleships" to "who starred in Combat". Is it possible that a thread can change so much in two pages as this one? Obviously yes , as it happened. But how much more can it morph? Only the mad Gorn can tell. Where will he take us next? The world wonders.

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 51
RE: Name This One - 8/6/2015 3:22:52 PM   
Lecivius

quote:

OK....so we've migrated from "grafted airplanes" to Chinese (later Japanese) "battleships" to "who starred in Combat". Is it possible that a thread can change so much in two pages as this one? Obviously yes , as it happened. But how much more can it morph? Only the mad Gorn can tell. Where will he take us next? The world wonders.

Gorn fashion?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 52
RE: Name This One - 8/6/2015 8:46:26 PM   
geofflambert

The mad gorn says movies: Which was the star of "The Sand Pebbles", Steve McQueen or the BAR?

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 53
RE: Name This One - 8/6/2015 8:55:57 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

The mad gorn says movies: Which was the star of "The Sand Pebbles", Steve McQueen or the BAR?

Neither. Both were supporting actors. Obviously the star was the movie's namesake. The USS San Pablo , aka "the san pebbles". One of my favorite all-time movies , and my favorite novel.

Post #: 54
RE: Name This One - 8/6/2015 9:10:05 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

Lizard-that's the funniest thing I've read today.

Post #: 55
RE: Name This One - 8/6/2015 9:15:37 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

quote:

quote:

Damn I only have one season. Got some catchin up to do. When we were kids playin army in the neighborhood EVERYONE wanted to be Sgt. Saunders.

Except my skinny little brother who always played Kirby.

Hans

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 56
RE: Name This One - 8/6/2015 10:42:45 PM   
geofflambert

I had one of those pillbox hats and a submachinegun (toy) that I can't remember what the real one was, but in one of those Eastwood movies a Marine wasted a bunch of IJA soldiers with one. My one had this ratchet thing you could pull back and when you pulled the trigger it released (tooth by tooth). Because of my equipment I was always the officer.

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 57
RE: Name This One - 8/6/2015 10:51:50 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

I had one of those pillbox hats and a submachinegun (toy) that I can't remember what the real one was, but in one of those Eastwood movies a Marine wasted a bunch of IJA soldiers with one. My one had this ratchet thing you could pull back and when you pulled the trigger it released (tooth by tooth). Because of my equipment I was always the officer.

Officers didn't carry SMG's (sub machine guns) NCO's did. Officers carried pistols , or later M-1 carbines (generally, there were exceptions like Dick Winter , who had M-1 rifles). Snipers were taught , 2 ways to tell an officer. 1) a pistol. 2) a map case.

Post #: 58
RE: Name This One - 8/6/2015 10:52:57 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

quote:

quote:

quote:

Damn I only have one season. Got some catchin up to do. When we were kids playin army in the neighborhood EVERYONE wanted to be Sgt. Saunders.

Except my skinny little brother who always played Kirby.

Only because 1) he had a Thompson 2) he wore a USMC camouflage cover on his helmet.

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 59
RE: Name This One - 8/7/2015 1:44:01 AM   
geofflambert

quote:

quote:

Officers didn't carry SMG's (sub machine guns) NCO's did. Officers carried pistols , or later M-1 carbines (generally, there were exceptions like Dick Winter , who had M-1 rifles). Snipers were taught , 2 ways to tell an officer. 1) a pistol. 2) a map case.

Let me clarify. I had a submachine gun. Nobody else did. Let's play this out. Steve has a squirt gun. Julie has a toy grenade. Herman has a Luger (let me tell you about Herman later). In case your attention span is short, let me remind you I had the submachine gun. I'm the Lieutenant.

I did have a couple of kids who were neighbors, I think they were twins but one was a boy the other a girl. I can't remember their names but their last was Hess, or Hesse, and they actually had German accents and were both blonde. They usually had to play the bad guys. They weren't bad guys, they just got stuck with the role. But they were different than the rest of us, I'm not sure I can explain how.

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Name This One Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI