Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

What other WCS game(s) do you own?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Brother against Brother: The Drawing of the Sword >> What other WCS game(s) do you own? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
[Poll]

What other WCS game(s) do you own?

Crown of Clory: Europe in the Age of Napoleon
  5% (10)
Crown of Glory: Emperor's Edition
  19% (37)
Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865
  28% (55)
Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear!
  19% (37)
Conflict of Heroes: Ghost Divisions
  9% (19)
Conflict of Heroes: Storms of Steel
  8% (17)
This is my first WCS game
  8% (16)

Total Votes : 191

(last vote on : 3/3/2016 6:56:48 PM)
(Poll will run till: -- )
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
What other WCS game(s) do you own? - 4/16/2015 6:54:30 PM   
Gil R.

We at Western Civilization Software are curious to know if "Brother against Brother" is your first game from WCS, or if you have previously purchased one or more titles. So, a poll thread seems in order, providing a selection of our other games. Thank you for taking the time to respond.

< Message edited by Gil R. -- 4/16/2015 7:55:39 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: What other WCS game(s) do you own? - 4/16/2015 7:21:12 PM   
zakblood

Brother against Brother is my first and only game from WCS i'm sorry to say, will now look at a few others and get some of them when time allows, sorry boss

i'd like the set if you'd do me a bundle

< Message edited by zakblood -- 4/16/2015 8:22:12 PM >

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 2
RE: What other WCS game(s) do you own? - 4/16/2015 7:24:30 PM   
Vyper

This is my first WCS game....could you make that a poll option?

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 3
RE: What other WCS game(s) do you own? - 4/16/2015 7:29:48 PM   
Gil R.

Sure, I just did so. Thanks for the suggestion.

(in reply to Vyper)
Post #: 4
RE: What other WCS game(s) do you own? - 4/17/2015 1:26:11 AM   
KEYSTONE0795

The Conflict of Heroes games was my first and only WCS games. The lack of post release support taught me a lesson.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 5
RE: What other WCS game(s) do you own? - 4/17/2015 1:33:33 AM   
vonRocko

I have four others, I can't afford this one yet. You make great games!

(in reply to KEYSTONE0795)
Post #: 6
RE: What other WCS game(s) do you own? - 4/17/2015 8:30:11 AM   
oldspec4

The first three on the poll list.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 7
RE: What other WCS game(s) do you own? - 4/17/2015 10:53:46 AM   
AlessandroD

First time, and it is a nice one

(in reply to oldspec4)
Post #: 8
RE: What other WCS game(s) do you own? - 4/17/2015 12:56:22 PM   
Blond_Knight

After the "Conflict of Heroes" series I decided to make that my last WCS game(s).

(in reply to AlessandroD)
Post #: 9
RE: What other WCS game(s) do you own? - 4/17/2015 1:13:07 PM   
Yogi the Great

quote:

ORIGINAL: Blond_Knight

After the "Conflict of Heroes" series I decided to make that my last WCS game(s).

I have felt that way about another company in the past but still try to keep an open mind.

If you like good games and the American Civil war this one is real gem. I have not played Conflict of Heroes so won't comment on it. However Brother Against Brother is a great well done game.

Hooked Since AH Gettysburg

(in reply to Blond_Knight)
Post #: 10
RE: What other WCS game(s) do you own? - 4/17/2015 1:20:24 PM   
KEYSTONE0795

Conflict of Heroes was also a very good game(s). It was the complete abandonment of the series post release that soured me on WCS. A perfect example was additional scripting tools. We were told that additional scripting documentation would be made available. After months of waiting and posting ................. complete silence. CoH was dropped faster than a hot potato.

< Message edited by KEYSTONE0795 -- 4/17/2015 2:21:19 PM >

(in reply to Yogi the Great)
Post #: 11
RE: What other WCS game(s) do you own? - 4/17/2015 2:29:53 PM   
Erik Rutins

I'm dissapointed to see the COH comments here. I understand that something was promised which was not delivered in the scripting docs you mention. I don't recall that but I'll see if we can provide it.

However, I strongly contest the idea that COH was dropped faster than a hot potato. WCS in fact not only supported and updated COH, but did a very major post-release overhaul to make the game more faithful to the board game rules based on community feedback and to make graphical improvements to the 2D mode of play. This was above and beyond normal post-release updates and this was despite the fact that during pre-release development, they were fully partnered with the original board game designer and following his design for the computer game.

In addition, on their own initiative they continued to invest in COH with the Storms of Steel expansion. Unfortunately, neither the original COH nor Storms of Steel met our expectations sales-wise and a series cannot continue indefinitely if that's the case, especially when it's based on a license and not our own IP. After Storms of Steel, COH was left in good shape with several updates including some major feature additions as a stable, finished game.

For previous projects, COG and FOF, WCS has also gone above and beyond in post-release support with many, many feature and content additions post-release.

Regards,

- Erik

< Message edited by Erik Rutins -- 4/17/2015 3:31:18 PM >

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 12
RE: What other WCS game(s) do you own? - 4/17/2015 3:16:44 PM   
jack54

quote:

ORIGINAL: Blond_Knight

+1

Sorry Erik but it was the forum silence that got me....

Avatar: Me borrowing Albert Ball's Nieuport 17

Counter from Bloody April by Terry Simo (GMT)

(in reply to Blond_Knight)
Post #: 13
RE: What other WCS game(s) do you own? - 4/17/2015 3:23:15 PM   
Duck Doc

Yikes, loved COH. One of the most fun gaming experiences I have had. Oozes quality. Just sayin'

(in reply to jack54)
Post #: 14
RE: What other WCS game(s) do you own? - 4/17/2015 4:43:18 PM   
Charly G

I've Forge of Freedom and Conflict of Heroes (AtB,GD and SoS). These are very good games.
I'm interested by the new game but I don't know if I will take it now.
No problem with Forge of Freedom but the forum silence for Conflict of Heroes has disappointed me.

< Message edited by Charly G -- 4/17/2015 5:45:03 PM >

(in reply to Duck Doc)
Post #: 15
RE: What other WCS game(s) do you own? - 4/17/2015 4:45:14 PM   
RobearGWJ

Another vote for CoH. I'm disappointed to hear it didn't sell to expectations, but I have no complaints about the finished products. Very much enjoy playing it and I still recommend it.

BaB is turning out very well for me, too. I've spotted what seem to be two small info screen bugs (Brigade status reported as being previous status by some screens, correctly by others) but nothing game-breaking so far. Once I got past the familiarity stage and learned to think correctly about my brigades, the game just sucked me in.

When will there be more scenarios? Day one purchase for me. :-)

(in reply to Duck Doc)
Post #: 16
RE: What other WCS game(s) do you own? - 4/17/2015 5:06:40 PM   
ericbabe

In response to the disaffected COH customer: After COH was released I did months of full time work on patches that added features to the game in response to customer feedback, during which time I was very active in the forum there. We don't really see a big increase in sales from such work, so I was basically doing months of unpaid labor for the benefit of COH fans. I don't mind this so much since I hope that our fan-base will be grateful for the extra work, and I try to work hard to build customer loyalty. But I cannot work for free forever; gratitude does not buy shoes for my children. I try to spend a few months being active in our game forums after release, but we have now released seven games, and if I tried to be active in all their forums it would be a full time job.

With regard to the support for the modding document, I did begin work on a summary of this, but the code for the AI scripts is extremely technical and I found that it was taking me much, much longer than I had originally anticipated. When I looked at the forum and saw that some of the best mods created by the fans -- with custom graphics and excellent playability -- had only been downloaded by less than a dozen people, I realized then that I simply couldn't afford to spend another week of unpaid full-time work supporting something in which only ten people seemed to have had an interest. I'm sorry if our poster in this thread was one of those ten people. I hope our fans in general will understand that though I will do my best to add requested features and to tweak the games in response to feedback after release, my capacity for this is not infinite, and sometimes when I say that I will add some feature or another I shall not always be able to do it.

(in reply to Duck Doc)
Post #: 17
RE: What other WCS game(s) do you own? - 4/17/2015 5:18:41 PM   
Franchot

I'm also a fan of CoH and thought it was well-done. I was hoping for more scenarios, but sadly this doesn't look like it's going to happen.

(Maybe Matrix can strike up a deal to port more of the Academy Games board games to the computer, but that sounds like wishful thinking at this point.)

Eric,

Your post went live just as I posted to this tread. A BIG THANK YOU for all the work you put into CoH. I salute your efforts!

< Message edited by Franchot -- 4/17/2015 6:25:00 PM >

(in reply to RobearGWJ)
Post #: 18
RE: What other WCS game(s) do you own? - 4/17/2015 6:14:01 PM   
KEYSTONE0795

Ericbabe,

Although I don't like the result, I appreciate your position regarding CoH.

Why didn't you communicate your rationale to the community? It would have cleared the air up front.

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 19
RE: What other WCS game(s) do you own? - 4/17/2015 7:10:15 PM   
ericbabe

Maybe you're right and I should have posted something by way of an explanation, though there were other factors at work. In my defense, I'm a nerdy war-gaming programmer sort so people-skills aren't the greatest of my talents. (That's why I have Gil!)

Post #: 20
RE: What other WCS game(s) do you own? - 4/18/2015 12:49:06 AM   
aaatoysandmore

I have your Forge of Freedom and I like the random battles in it a lot more than the canned scenarios of your new game Brother against Brother so I won't be buying that one. I'm still holding out an hoping and waiting on an ancients or medieval game by you guys. You have a great design and development just in the wrong periods that I like.

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 21
RE: What other WCS game(s) do you own? - 4/18/2015 1:00:23 AM   
Gil R.

We'd love to do an ancients game someday, since I'm a real, living, breathing ancient historian, and Eric likes that stuff too. Any such project would have to be several years in the future, though.

(in reply to aaatoysandmore)
Post #: 22
RE: What other WCS game(s) do you own? - 4/18/2015 3:18:33 AM   
FroBodine

I just want to throw in my two cents and say I really enjoyed Conflict of Heroes, too. I never bought Storm of Steel, but the work you did to improve the quality of the maps and adding more of the boardgame rules was very commendable, and made an already good game great.

Anyway, onwards to more Brother Against Brother!! I hope this series continues to thrive and get the polish and more content it deserves.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 23
RE: What other WCS game(s) do you own? - 4/18/2015 10:38:01 AM   
Charly G

quote:

ORIGINAL: Charly G

I've Forge of Freedom and Conflict of Heroes (AtB,GD and SoS). These are very good games.
I'm interested by the new game but I don't know if I will take it now.
No problem with Forge of Freedom but the forum silence for Conflict of Heroes has disappointed me.

quote:

ORIGINAL: ericbabe

In response to the disaffected COH customer: After COH was released I did months of full time work on patches that added features to the game in response to customer feedback, during which time I was very active in the forum there. We don't really see a big increase in sales from such work, so I was basically doing months of unpaid labor for the benefit of COH fans. I don't mind this so much since I hope that our fan-base will be grateful for the extra work, and I try to work hard to build customer loyalty. But I cannot work for free forever; gratitude does not buy shoes for my children. I try to spend a few months being active in our game forums after release, but we have now released seven games, and if I tried to be active in all their forums it would be a full time job.

With regard to the support for the modding document, I did begin work on a summary of this, but the code for the AI scripts is extremely technical and I found that it was taking me much, much longer than I had originally anticipated. When I looked at the forum and saw that some of the best mods created by the fans -- with custom graphics and excellent playability -- had only been downloaded by less than a dozen people, I realized then that I simply couldn't afford to spend another week of unpaid full-time work supporting something in which only ten people seemed to have had an interest. I'm sorry if our poster in this thread was one of those ten people. I hope our fans in general will understand that though I will do my best to add requested features and to tweak the games in response to feedback after release, my capacity for this is not infinite, and sometimes when I say that I will add some feature or another I shall not always be able to do it.

Thank you for these explanations. They allowed me to buy your new game today.
I hope good sales for you and see new battles (1862,1863,1864) in the future.

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 24
RE: What other WCS game(s) do you own? - 4/18/2015 3:01:23 PM   
budd

I own all the COH games and i'm happy with my purchase. I just wish that the board game maps were available in all the firefights, and you didn't have to download the high rez maps with every update. Why does every update have to be over a gig to download. Can't you update your setup release or something.Otherwise Overall i am very happy with the COH series, its a shame it won't continue.

As far as BvsB is concerned i did balk at the price. I loaded money into paypal and was ready to purchase and couldn't pull the trigger. We all have arbitrary lines we draw and price points in our minds when making our purchase choices. I read civil war books and watch civil war films but have never been able to get into a civil war game, and i've tried..don't know why as i have a great interest in the period. Worth is subjective at best, and it's not just price it's price vs time and do i really want to spend $50 bucks on something i may or may not take to, so i'm on the fence at this point. what originally attracted me to the game was the scale and those damn fine maps[kudos to the map maker] and thats what will keep it on my radar. I need to see more[youtube videos and AAR's] and read more opinions from end users about how it plays and the replayability of the scenario's. Things like unit count in larger scenarios[not into pushing dozens and dozens of counters anymore], is there a free deploy option in any scenario's, do the scenario's give you enough time to maneuver, and do the scenarios play out the same every time[scripted AI] and is the game fun and why. The game looks great and the scale is right in my wheelhouse, but i have more than a few games that I bought that look great and i was never able to get into.Just my 2 cents....Damn those maps look cool.

Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

(in reply to Charly G)
Post #: 25
RE: What other WCS game(s) do you own? - 4/18/2015 4:33:12 PM   
vonRocko

I have to agree with budd, the price stopped me cold. I've been looking forward to this for years, but $65+ shipping is just too much. Why is the box copy $15 more than download?

(in reply to budd)
Post #: 26
RE: What other WCS game(s) do you own? - 4/18/2015 4:47:29 PM   
Yogi the Great

quote:

ORIGINAL: vonRocko

I have to agree with budd, the price stopped me cold. I've been looking forward to this for years, but $65+ shipping is just too much. Why is the box copy $15 more than download?

Copied from Matrix info

The Best of Both Worlds Digital Downloads and Physical Shipment!
When you select this option you can use our digital download option to get the game right away and start playing. Then have a boxed copy of the game shipped to you as a backup for permanent storage. With a backup, you'll be prepared for whatever comes your way-whether it's a system crash, a computer virus damaging your files or the software simply no longer functioning as it should. You will be billed to have the game shipped in a printed DVD box with a printed DVD and your serial number.
Our Physical Editions and Printed Manuals...
We give each game an "edition" logo to tell you what the physical boxed copy will contain. Once you know these definitions, you can know at a glance whether a game comes with a PDF or printed manual in the boxed copy.

Collector's Edition: This edition comes with a full color printed box, full color printed DVD (with your order number and serial number printed on it), a Printed full color manual and a PDF E-Book indexed manual.

PS: I usually buy the boxed copy with the free download. I want to play right away but I'm an old Grognard who feels better if I have a hardcopy in my hands.

< Message edited by Yogi the Great -- 4/18/2015 5:52:52 PM >

(in reply to vonRocko)
Post #: 27
RE: What other WCS game(s) do you own? - 4/18/2015 4:54:54 PM   
vonRocko

Thanks Yogi, but I knew all that. Box copies used to be $10 more. Why is it now $15?

(in reply to Yogi the Great)
Post #: 28
RE: What other WCS game(s) do you own? - 4/18/2015 5:01:06 PM   
Yogi the Great

quote:

ORIGINAL: vonRocko

Thanks Yogi, but I knew all that. Box copies used to be $10 more. Why is it now $15?

Maybe they will be able to give a better answer. I don't know the answer or if it is the same for all games but perhaps increased costs (inflation) or the large full color illustrated manual also has an affect??

(in reply to vonRocko)
Post #: 29
RE: What other WCS game(s) do you own? - 4/18/2015 5:34:45 PM   
Gil R.

The boxed copies contain a 200-page color manual -- so the extra $15 covers the costs of box+DVD+manual. (And possibly shipping, though I have no clue if shipping is extra, and figure that you would already know if that's the case.)

Unfortunately, Erik Rutins is off this coming week, since he would be able to explain the costs in greater detail. But the printing cost for that manual is certainly the lion's share of the additional expense.

(in reply to vonRocko)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Brother against Brother: The Drawing of the Sword >> What other WCS game(s) do you own? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI