Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

[FIXED B698] Performance Degredation During Game Play

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Tech Support >> [FIXED B698] Performance Degredation During Game Play Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
[FIXED B698] Performance Degredation During Game Play - 4/21/2015 10:50:05 PM   
stilesw

Hello to the CMANO technical wizards.

I am using CMANO version v1.071, build 678.3. I've been developing a modern version of the October 1962 Missile Crisis (still in initial stages) and have been stumped by a performance problem. After about 1.5 days of game time the game speed slows way down with intermittent stops and speed-ups. Thinking it might have to do with the number/type of units involved I've tried removing units, sides, missions, range circles and so forth with no appreciable difference. Vectors, Datablocks, Datalinks, Emmissions and Plotted Courses are all set for the selected unit.

My system specs are:
Windows 7 Professional 64Bit
Gigabyte B75M-D3H MOBO with 16GB RAM (Never seen more than about 60% used during game play)
Intel Core i7 3770K 3.50 gigahertz CPU
128 kilobyte primary memory cache
1024 kilobyte secondary memory cache
8192 kilobyte tertiary memory cache
Mufti-core (4 total)
Hyper-threaded (8 total)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Video Card (4GB on board RAM)
Samsung 500GB SSD (35% used)
16GB System Page File (System managed).

I've attached the scenario and screen shots of the game settings. Any suggestions as to how and keep the scenario from slowing way down (unplayable) after it has run for 1.5+ days? Should I have a faster system, more memory or am I missing some tweak to improve performance?

As always, thanks for any help you can provide.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Sunburn -- 4/27/2015 7:23:53 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Performance Degredation During Game Play - 4/21/2015 10:57:24 PM   
mikmykWS

Sorry for the slow down but thanks for the report and the files! We'll take a look

Mike

(in reply to stilesw)
Post #: 2
RE: Performance Degredation During Game Play - 4/26/2015 9:24:17 AM   
Dimitris

Hello,

Would it be possible to post a save from the point at which the performance degradation starts? I tried to replicate this without success here, so I suspect it may happen only under a specific set of conditions.

Thanks in advance!

(in reply to mikmykWS)
Post #: 3
RE: Performance Degredation During Game Play - 4/26/2015 4:59:32 PM   
stilesw

Here you go. This is the point where the slowdown starts. It just keeps getting worse from this point on.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Dimitris)
Post #: 4
RE: Performance Degredation During Game Play - 4/26/2015 5:09:37 PM   
thewood1

I ran the original and just let it run at 1:15 time and it started crashing around 30 hours. I wasn't paying attention so missed the moment it crashed.

(in reply to stilesw)
Post #: 5
RE: Performance Degredation During Game Play - 4/26/2015 5:22:07 PM   
thewood1

Here is a screen capture of the error message...no save.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 6
RE: Performance Degredation During Game Play - 4/26/2015 5:23:33 PM   
thewood1

Something hinky is going on to get a memory message. Ic an run 2000+ unit scenarios with only mild slow downs. This one seems pretty tame.

It crashed after only running a couple hours game time form the save above.

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 7
RE: Performance Degredation During Game Play - 4/26/2015 5:56:09 PM   
stilesw

I never received that (or any) error message. Once the game started to slow down I would continue it for several game hours until it got to slow to do anything with. Or, on occasion, the screen would dim and a "system is not responding" message would appear. Then I would just terminate it. As stated in my original post my system has 16GB of RAM and when CMANO runs this scenario I never saw "standby memory" in system monitor drop below about 9GB. I have tried this scenario with no other applications other than system processes running in the background - no email, browsers, anti-malware, explorer windows, etc. Didn't make any difference - after about 30 game hours the brakes go on.

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 8
RE: Performance Degredation During Game Play - 4/26/2015 6:51:13 PM   
thewood1

I get the out of memory message every time I have run to game time over 30-36 hours. They could very well be the same issue just manifesting itself differently.

(in reply to stilesw)
Post #: 9
RE: Performance Degredation During Game Play - 4/26/2015 10:01:14 PM   
Grondoval

Good afternoon,

after testing the last save provided by stilesw, I can confirm a MASSIVE performance degradation on my system. It instantly gets so sluggish that normal gameplay is impossible. Scrolling around the map, zooming in or out literally takes at least a couple of seconds. I couldnt even quit the game, because it kind of hung up without error message.

Notably the pulse time was 2-10 ms, so very low all the time.

EDIT: after more testing I found out, that TIME COMPRESSION has something to do with it. I ran it for at least 15 minutes real time with no problems whats so ever. As soon as I activated TC once, after going back to real time it becomes unplayable really fast. Its as if the CPU trying to catch up on a huge backlog of calculations it couldnt do in time because of TC.

Specs:

Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit
Core i7 4770k 3,9 Ghz
8 GB DDR3 1600
Samsung 512gb SSD
GTX 970 GPU

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Grondoval -- 4/26/2015 11:37:48 PM >

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 10
RE: Performance Degredation During Game Play - 4/27/2015 6:21:48 PM   
Dimitris

Okay, looked at this with the profiler at hand.

While I did not experience any noticeable slowdown or OOM exception (and on a rig much weaker than the OP's hotrod), the profiler clearly showed a massive CPU spike at the ship-pathfinding code.

So I ran the save in step-debug mode and discovered that at least one of the civilian ships (the 135.000-ton cruiseliner) was mercilessly hammering the navigator code with pathfinding requests. (Pathfinding is easily one of the most expensive areas of the code, both in CPU & RAM). This meant that the ship had real trouble following its plotted course.

Curious, I traced the manual-plotted course of the ship, and noticed that at least one of the waypoints was located in an location which should be inaccessible to the ship (too shallow, just 2m deep). I checked our related UI code and confirmed that we prohibit adding a new course leg to a non-accessible location......BUUUUUT.... we currently don't prohibit _moving_ an existing waypoint to such a location.

So what I presume happened is that you first plotted a rough course for the ship, and while subsequently manually refining it, you dragged the waypoint on the too-shallow location. Which led to the ship's navigator going completely bonkers. (The nav code has no concept of "we tried going through that point a thousand times, just let it go already!").

So, fixed this for the next version by adding an extra UI check that prevents dragging a waypoint to an inaccessible location.

This will not automatically solve the problem in your specific scenario. I would suggest re-plotting the courses for the civilian ships, this time paying attention to depths.

Thanks.

< Message edited by Sunburn -- 4/27/2015 7:23:26 PM >

(in reply to Grondoval)
Post #: 11
RE: Performance Degredation During Game Play - 4/27/2015 7:07:16 PM   
magi

Very interesting.....

(in reply to Dimitris)
Post #: 12
RE: Performance Degredation During Game Play - 4/27/2015 9:29:44 PM   
stilesw

WELL DONE! I removed all the neutral shipping and ran the scenario at 30 min intervals (1800x) and it played through to the end with no slow down. I then modified the ship plots to avoid depths that were too shallow and again it worked fine. I also found another ship whose plot would also run aground. I'm sure that when the game tried to find routes for both ships at the same time it gave up and completely died.

Many thanks for the outstanding support. Not only is CMANO a superb simulation but the engineering support staff cannot be beat!

(in reply to magi)
Post #: 13
RE: Performance Degredation During Game Play - 4/27/2015 11:39:20 PM   
mikmykWS

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sunburn

Okay, looked at this with the profiler at hand.

While I did not experience any noticeable slowdown or OOM exception (and on a rig much weaker than the OP's hotrod), the profiler clearly showed a massive CPU spike at the ship-pathfinding code.

So I ran the save in step-debug mode and discovered that at least one of the civilian ships (the 135.000-ton cruiseliner) was mercilessly hammering the navigator code with pathfinding requests. (Pathfinding is easily one of the most expensive areas of the code, both in CPU & RAM). This meant that the ship had real trouble following its plotted course.

Curious, I traced the manual-plotted course of the ship, and noticed that at least one of the waypoints was located in an location which should be inaccessible to the ship (too shallow, just 2m deep). I checked our related UI code and confirmed that we prohibit adding a new course leg to a non-accessible location......BUUUUUT.... we currently don't prohibit _moving_ an existing waypoint to such a location.

So what I presume happened is that you first plotted a rough course for the ship, and while subsequently manually refining it, you dragged the waypoint on the too-shallow location. Which led to the ship's navigator going completely bonkers. (The nav code has no concept of "we tried going through that point a thousand times, just let it go already!").

So, fixed this for the next version by adding an extra UI check that prevents dragging a waypoint to an inaccessible location.

This will not automatically solve the problem in your specific scenario. I would suggest re-plotting the courses for the civilian ships, this time paying attention to depths.

Thanks.

After this winter we ought to rent that profiler to the MBTA(Boston Trains, Buses and Subways) profiler for a few. Just saying

Nice work D

< Message edited by mikmyk -- 4/28/2015 12:39:47 AM >

(in reply to Dimitris)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Tech Support >> [FIXED B698] Performance Degredation During Game Play Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI