Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Hersfeld Station AC (US) vs. BruttoBob (German)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SPWaW AAR/DAR >> Hersfeld Station AC (US) vs. BruttoBob (German) Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Hersfeld Station AC (US) vs. BruttoBob (German) - 3/13/2003 4:32:49 AM   
AC

So this time I've choosen the KatzKillers.

In the opening bombardment one P51D Mustang takes out both a HQ-Post and an adjacent Tiger. Due to heavy german AA fire, the other flyboy is shot down.
On my first turn, I advance cautiously along the road to the north. Not cautiously enough, though, as I loose a Jeep to an 88 and a scout car to something smaller. Both guns are set up for flanking shots on the road, but will be sure quickly dealt with.

AC

"Tridentina, avanti!" General L. Reverberi leading his Alpini troops in the decisive assault on Soviet-held Nikolajewka, 26th January 1943
Post #: 1
- 3/13/2003 4:16:21 PM   
Brutto-Bob

Mmmmh...

this scenario is huge! I love smaller ones...

Not much happens in my turn, just some MG shot against the yankees...

I'm moving german forces in better defensive positions.

(in reply to AC)
Post #: 2
- 3/13/2003 7:18:58 PM   
AC

And I do see you doing so:D
On the left of my axis of advance my recon guys spot 3 german squads moving off. Combined with the MG that opened fire on me minutes ago, that makes almost a whole platoon.
For losses we trade another of my Jeep's and an M3 which hit a mine - before of him others passed that hex unharmed - with a small mortar squad.

We draw also long range fire from ahead.

AC

"Tridentina, avanti!" General L. Reverberi leading his Alpini troops in the decisive assault on Soviet-held Nikolajewka, 26th January 1943

(in reply to AC)
Post #: 3
- 3/14/2003 4:40:18 AM   
Brutto-Bob

Little to report from my side: one of my inf platoons was reached and pinned down by US recons, I will try to save someone but the enemy is too close...

One lone US aircraft strikes from the east, nothing was hit but I think that the US commander now knows many useful information about my units displacement...

(in reply to AC)
Post #: 4
- 3/14/2003 5:54:26 AM   
AC

My advance continues slowly but steady. I spot and destroy a hidden 37mm Flak, another 50mm mortar and one of the above mentioned infantry squads. Unfortunately, another jeep goes boom to a well-hidden Pak. Seems like the place is full of dug-in AA and AT guns.:(

AC

(in reply to AC)
Post #: 5
- 3/15/2003 2:12:40 AM   
Brutto-Bob

My ATGs are taking some good shots on the advancing enemy: one M20, an halftrack and an AA-jeep destroyed.

Nothing more to report...

(in reply to AC)
Post #: 6
- 3/15/2003 4:45:51 AM   
AC

Too much losses to one single ATG:( But I've taken my revenge, as another AA-Gun and Infantry squad are eliminated. I spot another 50 mm mortar and inflict some casualties. That AT gun is spotted too and hopefully pinned down enough to be finished off next turn.

However I ought to be a little more careful in the future.

AC

(in reply to AC)
Post #: 7
- 3/16/2003 1:03:47 AM   
Brutto-Bob

Nothing of important in this turn: My infantry is fleeing from US tanks in order to find better fight positions.

(in reply to AC)
Post #: 8
- 3/16/2003 4:06:46 PM   
AC

A quiet turn. We pour some fire in the retreating infantry, survive a close assault from one of them; survive another close attack from a mortar crew; on our left flank unfortunately a recon patrol is lost to long range AA fire. The 50 mm ATG loses some other crew, but survives also this turn.
On the road (my main axis of advance running NNW to SSE) we are now spotting tank obstacles, some 20 hexes away. On the eastern bank of the river, which runs along the right side of the road, the Germans try to move in 88's which can enfilade the road. Exchange some fire with one, which looses some crew members and gets supressed.

AC

(in reply to AC)
Post #: 9
- 3/17/2003 3:52:53 PM   
Brutto-Bob

Not much happens: I can't retreat ATG and AA guns from the advancing yankees because I've not trucks.

I'm still moving troops around the map.

One airstrike hits my ammo dump :mad:

(in reply to AC)
Post #: 10
- 3/17/2003 6:47:57 PM   
AC

As the enemy admits himself, we are trying not to lose contact to the spotted German troops trying to retreat. So, we able to finish off the infantry platoon already mentioned; the 50mm ATG which did so much damage; the crew of a third 50mm mortar. Identified gun positions on our left flank are suppressed with direct and indirect fire.
And yes, indeed we blew up an ammo supply. What I've learned is:
DO NOT ATTACK AN AMMO SUPPLY WITH NAPALM. IT WILL BLOW YOUR OWN AIRCRAFT TOO!:eek:

AC

(in reply to AC)
Post #: 11
- 3/19/2003 2:45:36 AM   
Brutto-Bob

Still no much action in my turn: a couple of US halftracks were spotted while patrolling the left bank of the river, one was hit by my ATG.

I'm still moving Krupp's steel to the front line...

(in reply to AC)
Post #: 12
- 3/19/2003 5:18:09 AM   
AC

Not much action for me neither. I spot some German infantry on both sides on the river and shot at them, but score no kills. I'm slowly approaching a little town which I'm sure hides many surprises for me. Must be careful!

(in reply to AC)
Post #: 13
- 3/21/2003 5:37:12 AM   
AC

US turn 8:

In the last replay I had to see one of my scout cars destroyed by the 5cm gun of a nearby hidden SDKFZ. A crew from a previously hit vehicle gets caught in the open by long range AA fire and disappears.
However, in my turn, I move one Chaffee on to the SDKFZ, trigger its op-fire; then move on a second one, trigger op-fire again, shot with first, triggering again and so on until I finally hit and destroy the enemy vehicle. Aiming of my boys could be a little better.
In a small wood just in front of Ansbach I discover another infantry squad and drive it back; seems like there's another platoon between the wood and the first houses of the village. I discover and destroy an MB Bunker to, which was covering the road. Next turns will see the struggle for Ansbach.
Heavy german arty falls far away from my troops:D

AC

(in reply to AC)
Post #: 14
- 3/22/2003 1:10:01 AM   
Brutto-Bob

I lose another recon armor in the outskirts of Ansback due to that evil couple of Chaffee...

Some long range gunnery against a platoon of trucks carrying infantry moving forward my flanking artillery. No hits...

(in reply to AC)
Post #: 15
- 3/22/2003 3:38:11 AM   
AC

US turn 9

A good turn for me as one of my two Chaffees survives an op-shot from a Stug IV, decides to fire back and kills it with one shot through its front armor, thus scoring its third kill!
We are now very close to Ansbach and drive the already mentioned german infantry back into the town while inflicting heavy losses. As a halftrack scouts out the first row of houses it is shot on by a second Stug - skilfully positioned to enfilade my axis of advance - but missed. Infantry advances on the left flank and engages some bycicle squads.
Heavy US arty opens up on Ansbach.

(in reply to AC)
Post #: 16
- 3/22/2003 9:37:23 PM   
Brutto-Bob

Some long range gunnery against US recon armors and halftracks without results.

Nothing more to tell in this turn...

(in reply to AC)
Post #: 17
- 3/23/2003 1:37:06 AM   
AC

US turn 10

Thimgs at Ansbach are heating up. A PzIIIn and a PzIV are spotted while moving in the village; a US halftrack hits a mine. To the west of Ansbach, 2 german Stugs open up on my lead elements without doing much harm, but causing my boys to seek cover.
In the west, a Flak37(?) which was far too long harassing my primary advance road, is finally spotted and fired at by SP arty; halftracks are moving in for the kill.
In the east, a german halftrack has been spotted while trying to infiltrate in my rear accross the river. Fired at by mobile AA, the infantry squads it carried bails out and is dispersed by machine gun fire.

German losses so far:

1 train car, 1 HQ post, 1 Tiger 1/E
(opening air strike)
3 50 mm mortars
2 20 mm Flak
1 Prime Mover (88)
4 Infantry Squads
2 MG squads (1 for sure)
1 50mm Pak
1 SdKfz 251/22
1 SdKfz 234/2
1 Stug IV
1 MG Bunker

At least 3 infantry platoons and 2 88's have taken medium to heavy losses.

(in reply to AC)
Post #: 18
- 3/23/2003 9:42:20 PM   
Brutto-Bob

The US army lose two halftracks in the outskirts of ..... But I lose another tank, hit by a Sherman dozer.

Some german recon armors are engaging halftracks but without results.

(in reply to AC)
Post #: 19
- 3/24/2003 12:39:55 AM   
AC

US turn 11
In the outskirts of Ansbach the battle is raging. A german attempt to hit the american left flank is stopped cold by US armor; a halftrack and infantry squad and a recon vehicle are destroyed. US forces maneuver for the rush into the town.
In the southwest, a 75mm gun is detected as an infantry squad almost runs into it. They suffer some casualties, but reinforcements are moved in to deal with the entrenched germans.
Already behind Ansbach, a 128mm antitank gun and a Stug are spotted, obviously positioned to guard the german right flank. Fast response arty is called in upon them. The hex where the Pak is positioned burns. Al least another Stug must be lurking around somewhere near.

(in reply to AC)
Post #: 20
- 3/24/2003 4:08:26 PM   
Brutto-Bob

US army tanks and infantry are hidden behind to the first row of houses, many other tanks are securing the left flank of their front line.

I see that there is a continuous entrance of US reinforcements on the map :(

The battle for Ansbach goes on, without big efforts, two US halftracks are destroyed, another one damaged (I think...).

(in reply to AC)
Post #: 21
- 3/25/2003 5:33:28 AM   
AC

US turn 12

Heavy fighting in an around Ansbach: on my left flank the Germans lose a SdKfz 250/9 and a 250/1 HT, while in the village itself US infantry supported by armor slowly pushs back the defending Germans (we kill another infantry squad). In the village an observation post is detected. In the street fighting we lose a Chaffee to op-fire from a hidden PzIIIn. The 128mm AT is further neutralized by heavy mortar fire on its position.
Seems like the German will try to fight it out here, as heavy AFV's are spotted approaching Ansbach.
In the south a 20mm Flakvierling is discovered and destroyed.
Almost 1/3 of the game is over, and my progress is not so good. But accelerating the advance means to stumble in the traps my counterpart will surely have prepared ... Gotta find some way out of this ...

(in reply to AC)
Post #: 22
- 3/27/2003 5:51:26 AM   
AC

US turn 13

Ansbach is now almost mine. US infantry supported by a Sherman Flame, secures the center of the village; we take our second VH. On the left flank, infantry and Shermans maneuver in seek for a Stug with a 105mm gun, and find it just in the middle of a little wood just west of Ansbach; but in the end it is my Chaffee which scores its fourth and fifth kill (Stug and crew). Only one out of 9 shots from 3 Shermans at a 2 hex' distance have hit the Stug!?

Along the main road to Ansbach, suddenly a 37mm Flak opens up on my advancing reinforcement; I forgot to re-lay the smoke screen to the east of the road, because I am stupid (sometimes only).

In the southwest corner of the map we play hide and seek with another of those nasty German SdKfzs.

(in reply to AC)
Post #: 23
- 3/28/2003 4:03:54 AM   
Brutto-Bob

Us forces are conquering the town, but they are advancing slowly and they still haven't meet my first line of defence.

In Ansbach one M4A3 was hit by long range shot, his crew abandoned the tank, meanwile one squad of german infantry try to get closer to one Sherman dozer but was spotted and drived back.

On the US left flank, one AA-jeep was destroyed in a skirmish with my recon armor.

Nothing more of interest happens in my turn.

(in reply to AC)
Post #: 24
- 3/28/2003 2:59:13 PM   
AC

Turn 14

The US secures the village of Ansbach, only to discover a second - and fortified - line of defense just some hexes behind of it. A heavy TD is hit and destroyed by a so far unknown ATG; a German bicycle sqauds survives some 15 volleys of tank gun and MG fire from three different AFVs; in the southwest another German halftrack is destroyed, and far west from Ansbach a FO Kübelwagen falls to one of my tanks.

The north of Ansbach is heavily smoked by my arty.

(in reply to AC)
Post #: 25
- 3/29/2003 3:06:36 AM   
Brutto-Bob

Some long range shot against US troops in town, without casualities. US artillery is filling the whole area with smoke.

(in reply to AC)
Post #: 26
- 3/29/2003 5:02:04 AM   
AC

US turn 15

The usual slow advance: in the northern outskirt of Ansbach, two infantry squads and a MG are killed; in the east we exchange fire with the already known 37mm flak, and in the south west we destroy a 75 mm gun and two Panzerschreck teams. We also discover there a MG bunker and an AT gun in defense of Hill 480, which will soon be ours.

West of Ansbach two Shermans exchange fire with a Stug and a Panther, without casualties on neither side.

(in reply to AC)
Post #: 27
- 3/29/2003 10:46:32 PM   
Brutto-Bob

Umh... I hope that US artillery run out of smoke ammo soon: the whole area around Ansbach is filled with smoke.

In this turn I was able only to hit one AA-jeep, losing one more Stug that was abandoned by his crew after been hit by one bazooka.

(in reply to AC)
Post #: 28
- 3/30/2003 1:01:50 AM   
AC

US turn 15

Ansbach is now definitely mine. US infantry pushes forward; a recon patrol runs into a full strenght German infantry squads, survives the op-fire, fires back and drives the Krauts back; later on they will perish in cross fire from several units. On the eastern border of Ansbach, one of my halftracks kills an 8-wheeled scout car (SdKfz 622?) on the other side of the river (Fulda?) with MG fire.
A Sherman flame grills the remnants of another infantry squad.
Further south along the river, an MG and an infantry section exchange fire with that same ol' 37mm Flak. They cause no casualties, and in the end a tank is called in.
West of Ansbach tanks exchange fire with that 128mm AT, causing some casualties. A before immobilized Sherman has a bad idea and fires on a Stug on the hill nortwest of Ansbach, and is killed by the return fire.
In the southwest, we fill the MG Bunker and the ATG position with all fire we have to suppress them, and smoke them too.

(in reply to AC)
Post #: 29
- 3/30/2003 5:16:05 PM   
Brutto-Bob

US troops are pushing forward, covered by a smoke shield, from Ansbach to reach the bridges. I was able to hit one halftrack on the south side of the town. In the west side, one Sherman Jumbo is targeting my heavy ATG on the hill, I hit it two times but the shells are bouncing off his heavy armor.

More fighting happens in the east of the map, two M8 HMC and one halftrack were spotted while patrolling the peninsula in the left bank of the river and destroyed.

(in reply to AC)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SPWaW AAR/DAR >> Hersfeld Station AC (US) vs. BruttoBob (German) Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI