Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: THE WAR COLLEGE-Rio Bravo (A) v. El Lobo (J)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: THE WAR COLLEGE-Rio Bravo (A) v. El Lobo (J) Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: THE WAR COLLEGE-Rio Bravo (A) v. El Lobo (J) - 8/27/2015 11:16:30 AM   
HansBolter

I think you are a bit confused about American carrier based fighters.

You won't be seeing any Hellcats until 1943. The Hellcat is an F6F.

There are two versions of the Wildcat in the game, the F4F3 and F4F4 (there is also an alternate version of the F4F3, the F4F3A).

The F4F3 has 6 50 caliber machine guns while the F4F4 has eight, not sure what flight characteristic differences there are..

Your carriers start with a mix of F4F3s and Buffalos.

While you have likely upgraded the one carrier Buffalo squadron (IIRC aboard the Lexington) to an F4F3 Wildcat, or possibly an F$F3A, there is no way you could have upgraded all your carriers to F4F4s by the middle of March when their production only started at the beginning of March.

The F4F4s perform much better in combat against zeroes than the F4F3.

It is considered generally good wisdom to avoid a carrier encounter until at a bare minimum you have upgraded all the fighters to F4F4s leaving the F4F3s for your Marine squadrons.

It is also considered generally good wisdom to also avoid a fight until you have replaced your abysmally short legged TBDs with TBFs.

This doesn't start happening until May.

It's no coincidence that the battle of Midway took place in June and not in March.

Carriers can make full speed runs to get in position and cover vast distances in two days doing so.

The KB can be at Babelbaob and react to your being spotted enroute to the Marianas and get there in time to clobber you.

Only if I was certain the KB was in the Indian Ocean or at least deep in the western DEI would I venture a fleet action in the Marianas in '42....and I would wait until summer or fall to do it.

You are obviously free to make your own choices. Who knows you could pull it off or you could go down in flames.

There is a certain amount of WWI "maintain the fleet in being as an asset" mentality that the Americans have to adopt.

The notion of the Decisive Battle cuts both ways. While you can win the war in one day you can also LOSE it in one day.

The doctrine of the decisive battle is predicated on NOT engaging in it unless you have a pretty good assurance of victory, less you lose the fleet and thus the war in one day.

While you are not looking to precipitate a decisive battle you also don't want to sail into conditions that may result in it being visited upon you.

Hans

(in reply to Rio Bravo)
Post #: 271
RE: THE WAR COLLEGE-Rio Bravo (A) v. El Lobo (J) - 8/27/2015 12:08:45 PM   
JocMeister

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rio Bravo
Please feel free to be perfectly "Frank" to advise whether I am still taking too big of a risk with the Allied Fleet?

Best Regards,

-Terry

Well, to be Frank...your chances to succeed in this is so close to 0 it might as well be 0. The most likely outcome is that KB will show up and clobber the USN to a bloody pulp.

Even if you by some miracle are not spotted and manage to land and even capture it there is no chance you can maintain the LOC all the way from PH. Your opponent will simply isolate the landing, counter land when he finds the time and say thank you for the VPs.

EDIT: Just glanced through your AAR a bit. Seems this is your opponents first try with the Japanese? You might actually get away with a Marianas landing but don´t think its the best way to use what you have at hand right now.

I know the itch to "do something" is very strong in 42. But 42 is pretty much just about 2 things.
- Avoid AV
- Build a solid base on which to start counter attacking in 43.

I havn´t read your AAR from the beginning so I don´t really know the full situation. But looking at the map your opponent is already in serious problems. Reinforce key areas like NORPAC, Burma, lower DEI, Rabaul and Northern OZ. Those are all key areas he needs to capture. If you can deny him any of those location it will cause him 100x more harm then any venture into the Marianas ever could.

Good luck!

< Message edited by JocMeister -- 8/27/2015 1:11:24 PM >

(in reply to Rio Bravo)
Post #: 272
RE: THE WAR COLLEGE-Rio Bravo (A) v. El Lobo (J) - 8/27/2015 3:03:33 PM   
Rio Bravo

Of Wildcats and Hellcats

Hans-

You're right!

The Enterprise and Saratoga have F4F-3A Wildcats. The Yorktown has F4F-3 Wildcats. The Lexington has F2A-3 Buffalos. Not a Hellcat in sight!

It looks like I could upgrade some of these aircraft now, but only a small portion of them. Exmaple: If I am interpreting this right, right now, I could only upgrade two of the F4F-3 Wildcats.

Thank you for pointing this out to me.

Now then, by what date will I have all the carriers with Hellcats? June of '42?

Best Regards,

-Terry

"No one throws me my own guns and tells me to run. No one."

-Bret (James Coburn); The Magnificent Seven

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 273
RE: THE WAR COLLEGE-Rio Bravo (A) v. El Lobo (J) - 8/27/2015 3:22:26 PM   
Rio Bravo

quote:

ORIGINAL: JocMeister

quote:

Please feel free to be perfectly "Frank" to advise whether I am still taking too big of a risk with the Allied Fleet?

Best Regards,

-Terry

Well, to be Frank...your chances to succeed in this is so close to 0 it might as well be 0. The most likely outcome is that KB will show up and clobber the USN to a bloody pulp.

Even if you by some miracle are not spotted and manage to land and even capture it there is no chance you can maintain the LOC all the way from PH. Your opponent will simply isolate the landing, counter land when he finds the time and say thank you for the VPs.

EDIT: Just glanced through your AAR a bit. Seems this is your opponents first try with the Japanese? You might actually get away with a Marianas landing but don´t think its the best way to use what you have at hand right now.

I know the itch to "do something" is very strong in 42. But 42 is pretty much just about 2 things.
- Avoid AV
- Build a solid base on which to start counter attacking in 43.

I havn´t read your AAR from the beginning so I don´t really know the full situation. But looking at the map your opponent is already in serious problems. Reinforce key areas like NORPAC, Burma, lower DEI, Rabaul and Northern OZ. Those are all key areas he needs to capture. If you can deny him any of those location it will cause him 100x more harm then any venture into the Marianas ever could.

Good luck!

Hey Joc-

Welcome to The War College.

I'm not planning on invading the Marianas Islands right now, just bombarding Guam and Saipan. However, Operation Wake Up Call is looking more and more dangerous to me based on input from Hans, BBfanboy, pontiouspilot, SqzMyLemon, and you.

To date, I have basically invested heavily in and built-up India, Southern Australia, Tahiti, and these Gulf of Alaska Bases: Anchorage, Whittier, Seward, and Kodiak Island.

Right now, I don't have any spare troops to build-up anything.

As new reenforcements arrive, the priority is to build-up these Pacific Island Bases: Wake, Midway, Johnston, Palmyra, and Christmas.

Just not enough troops to build up other areas right now.

Best Regards,

-Terry

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 274
RE: THE WAR COLLEGE-Rio Bravo (A) v. El Lobo (J) - 8/27/2015 3:24:03 PM   
BBfanboy

Hellcats arrive in 1943. You can get the exact month they first appear by looking at the upgrade types available for your Wildcats from the air unit screen -scroll down the list to find the Hellcats, Corsairs and the FM-2 Wildcat which generally goes to the CVEs you will be getting. Once enough Hellcats are available the CVEs can swap for Hellcats too and the FM-2s can go to land based squadrons.

When I played the Marianas scenario the Hellcat's greater speed and rate of climb made a big difference in defending against Betties, Judys and Jills launched from land. The CVEs with FM-2s were less effective and let the AA gunners have some practice.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Rio Bravo)
Post #: 275
RE: THE WAR COLLEGE-Rio Bravo (A) v. El Lobo (J) - 8/27/2015 3:50:16 PM   
Rio Bravo

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

Hellcats arrive in 1943. You can get the exact month they first appear by looking at the upgrade types available for your Wildcats from the air unit screen -scroll down the list to find the Hellcats, Corsairs and the FM-2 Wildcat which generally goes to the CVEs you will be getting. Once enough Hellcats are available the CVEs can swap for Hellcats too and the FM-2s can go to land based squadrons.

When I played the Marianas scenario the Hellcat's greater speed and rate of climb made a big difference in defending against Betties, Judys and Jills launched from land. The CVEs with FM-2s were less effective and let the AA gunners have some practice.

BBfanboy-

The War College Members have impressed upon me the need to pay much closer attention to carrier aircraft.

I have added to my list the need to research this matter and to plan not only for the upgrades for these aircraft, but also take into consideration the timing of the upgrades to coincide with future carrier operations.

Your help and all The War College Members' help is greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,

-Terry

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 276
RE: THE WAR COLLEGE-Rio Bravo (A) v. El Lobo (J) - 8/27/2015 3:52:01 PM   
pontiouspilot

Don't cancel yet!!....I'd love to see it go off. Start now by dispatching appropriate scouts. Subs won't work for this. I'll bet you a good bottle of scotch that your scouts near Hokkaido don't get spotted but your scouts near Marianas do... I am partial to 18yr olds by the way!!....scotch that is.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 277
RE: THE WAR COLLEGE-Rio Bravo (A) v. El Lobo (J) - 8/27/2015 4:01:40 PM   
Rio Bravo

A Couple Updates

Operation Wake Up Call

Based on the sound input from several War College Members, Operation Wake Up Call has been filed under, "Perhaps Another Day."

In other words, it is scratched for now!

A Lull in the War

El Lobo is in the United States visiting family members and friends. He is going to be quite busy the next couple of weeks visiting his nephews in Georgia, and then on to Colorado for a family reunion.

Consequently, turns may be slow over the next couple of weeks.

I will use this down-time to provide detailed reports to The War College regarding base sizes, and troop and aircraft dispositions in the Gulf of Alaska, Tahiti, Southern Australia, and India. These are the four general areas that the Allies have been concentrating on to build-up and halt Japanese expansion.

If any of the War College Members are curious about other matters, let me know and i will try to give you an update on such matter(s).

Best Regards,

-Terry

(in reply to Rio Bravo)
Post #: 278
RE: THE WAR COLLEGE-Rio Bravo (A) v. El Lobo (J) - 8/27/2015 4:03:31 PM   
JocMeister

quote:

To date, I have basically invested heavily in and built-up India, Southern Australia, Tahiti, and these Gulf of Alaska Bases: Anchorage, Whittier, Seward, and Kodiak Island.

As new reenforcements arrive, the priority is to build-up these Pacific Island Bases: Wake, Midway, Johnston, Palmyra, and Christmas.

Best Regards,
-Terry

That sound very sensible and wise.

Although I think you can move your defenses quite a bit forward. Especially in SOPAC where your opponent doesn´t seem to have even captured Rabaul?

(in reply to Rio Bravo)
Post #: 279
RE: THE WAR COLLEGE-Rio Bravo (A) v. El Lobo (J) - 8/27/2015 4:04:20 PM   
Rio Bravo

quote:

ORIGINAL: pontiouspilot

Don't cancel yet!!....I'd love to see it go off. Start now by dispatching appropriate scouts. Subs won't work for this. I'll bet you a good bottle of scotch that your scouts near Hokkaido don't get spotted but your scouts near Marianas do... I am partial to 18yr olds by the way!!....scotch that is.

*laughing hard*

Uh, huh. Are you a Japanese spy!?!?!?!

I do enjoy a good scotch on the rocks now and then.

Through the years, Johnnie Walker Black has been my affordable choice.

Best Regards,

-Terry

(in reply to pontiouspilot)
Post #: 280
RE: THE WAR COLLEGE-Rio Bravo (A) v. El Lobo (J) - 8/27/2015 4:15:17 PM   
Rio Bravo

quote:

ORIGINAL: JocMeister

quote:

Best Regards,
-Terry

That sound very sensible and wise.

Although I think you can move your defenses quite a bit forward. Especially in SOPAC where your opponent doesn´t seem to have even captured Rabaul?

Joc-

That is correct.

To date, El Lobo has not invaded the Celebs, New Hebrides, the Solomons, New Guinea, Papua, nor Burma.

The Japanese are mopping up in Malaya, The Philippines, Sumatra, and Borneo. Only Batavia is under siege in Java.

The Japanese have pushed very hard in China and I believe it is El Lobo's firm intent to conquer all of China!

Best Regards,

-Terry

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 281
RE: THE WAR COLLEGE-Rio Bravo (A) v. El Lobo (J) - 8/27/2015 4:20:53 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

I think you are a bit confused about American carrier based fighters.

You won't be seeing any Hellcats until 1943. The Hellcat is an F6F.

There are two versions of the Wildcat in the game, the F4F3 and F4F4 (there is also an alternate version of the F4F3, the F4F3A).

The F4F3 has 6 50 caliber machine guns while the F4F4 has eight {Small correction: the F4F-4 has 6x .50 cal while some of the earlier model F4F have 4x .50 cal. You might be thinking of the P-47 which has 8x .50 cal.}, not sure what flight characteristic differences there are..

Your carriers start with a mix of F4F3s and Buffalos.

While you have likely upgraded the one carrier Buffalo squadron (IIRC aboard the Lexington) to an F4F3 Wildcat, or possibly an F$F3A, there is no way you could have upgraded all your carriers to F4F4s by the middle of March when their production only started at the beginning of March.

The F4F4s perform much better in combat against zeroes than the F4F3.

It is considered generally good wisdom to avoid a carrier encounter until at a bare minimum you have upgraded all the fighters to F4F4s leaving the F4F3s for your Marine squadrons.

It is also considered generally good wisdom to also avoid a fight until you have replaced your abysmally short legged TBDs with TBFs.

This doesn't start happening until May.

It's no coincidence that the battle of Midway took place in June and not in March.

Carriers can make full speed runs to get in position and cover vast distances in two days doing so.

The KB can be at Babelbaob and react to your being spotted enroute to the Marianas and get there in time to clobber you.

Only if I was certain the KB was in the Indian Ocean or at least deep in the western DEI would I venture a fleet action in the Marianas in '42....and I would wait until summer or fall to do it.

You are obviously free to make your own choices. Who knows you could pull it off or you could go down in flames.

There is a certain amount of WWI "maintain the fleet in being as an asset" mentality that the Americans have to adopt.

The notion of the Decisive Battle cuts both ways. While you can win the war in one day you can also LOSE it in one day.

The doctrine of the decisive battle is predicated on NOT engaging in it unless you have a pretty good assurance of victory, less you lose the fleet and thus the war in one day.

While you are not looking to precipitate a decisive battle you also don't want to sail into conditions that may result in it being visited upon you.

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 282
RE: THE WAR COLLEGE-Rio Bravo (A) v. El Lobo (J) - 8/27/2015 5:11:59 PM   
HansBolter

Thanks for the correction.

I was likely mixing it up with et P40B-E comparison which IIRC is the 6-8 gun difference.

Regardless of being off on the gun comparison the portrayal of the "common logic" of waiting on the 4s to put carriers into action is an accurate one.

Hans

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 283
RE: THE WAR COLLEGE-Rio Bravo (A) v. El Lobo (J) - 8/27/2015 5:57:08 PM   
witpqs

quote:

Thanks for the correction.

I was likely mixing it up with et P40B-E comparison which IIRC is the 6-8 gun difference. With the possible exception of night fighters, I think the P-47 is the only US fighter that gets 8x guns.

Regardless of being off on the gun comparison the portrayal of the "common logic" of waiting on the 4s to put carriers into action is an accurate one.

I think so too.

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 284
RE: THE WAR COLLEGE-Rio Bravo (A) v. El Lobo (J) - 8/27/2015 6:22:57 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

quote:

BBfanboy-

The War College Members have impressed upon me the need to pay much closer attention to carrier aircraft.

I have added to my list the need to research this matter and to plan not only for the upgrades for these aircraft, but also take into consideration the timing of the upgrades to coincide with future carrier operations.

Best Regards,

-Terry

Something I forgot to mention - it seemed like you were taken by surprise when some of your ships started upgrades at PH. I presume you started the game with automatic upgrades set to "On". This should be changed so that you can get personal control of when upgrades are done. Go to the second button from the left at the top of the screen (Preferences) and select the Auto-Upgrade of Devices to "Off". This will only affect newly arriving ships and units, not the ones already in the game.
Now, every time you do something with a ship or unit, turn off the upgrades unless you are sure it is OK. For land units, you need a good flow of the needed devices into the pools and lots of supply at the base to do the upgrades. For air units, availability of aircraft is key. For both of them, decide whether they will be deployed in combat soon and if so, allow the upgrade while not allowing upgrades for units training or non-deployable.

For ships, upgrades mostly deal with AA and radar, but ASW upgrades are critical for DDs. Get those done as soon as possible. Some upgrades can be skipped, depending on how you will use the ship. BBs South Dakota and Washington get some upgrades close together in late 1942 and the upgrade time uses most of the time before the next one, so the ship doesn't really get much deployment time. Lots of planning in this game!

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Rio Bravo)
Post #: 285
RE: THE WAR COLLEGE-Rio Bravo (A) v. El Lobo (J) - 8/27/2015 6:30:55 PM   
Rio Bravo

Gulf of Alaska

As of March 3, 1942

Opening Notes

1.) Ground forces have been withdrawn from Nome and Dutch Harbor.
2.) Gulf of Alaska Bases are supplied and fueled from Vancouver.
3.) The only units earmarked for the Gulf of Alaska during the next thirty days are the 501 Cst AA Rgt and the 16 Canadien Bde. Both units will go to Prince Rupert.

Anchorage

Port Capacity: 2 (17%)
Aircraft Capacity: 6
Fortifications: 2 (40%)

Supply: 23,070
Fuel: 16,431

Total Aircraft: 81

Ground Forces:

CD 1/250 Cst Art Bn
ENG 121 USAAF BF
INF 4 (Sep) Inf Rgt
ART 81 FA Bn
HQc Alaska Defense Cmd
HQa Eleventh USAAF

Total Assault Strength: 132

Whittier

Port Capacity: 1
Airfield Capacity: 0
Fortifications: 2 (43%)

Supply: 2,041
Fuel: 1,000

Total Aircraft: 0

Ground Forces:

INF 1/153 Inf Bn
ENG 133 USAAF BF
INF 1/102 Inf Bn
INF 53 (Sep) Inf Rgt
INF H/153 Inf Co

Total Assault Strength: 204

Seward

Port Capacity: 3
Aircraft Capacity: 1 (76%)
Fortifications: 3 (13%)

Supply: 43,209
Fuel: 11,016

Ground Forces:

ENG 103 USN BF
ENG 108 USN BF
INF 138 (Sep) Inf Rgt
ART 154 FA Bn
ENG 2/151 Combat Engr Bn
INF 2/153 Inf Bn
CD 2/250 Cst Art Bn
AA 210 Cst AA Rgt
CD 3/250 Cst Art Bn
AA 30 Cst AA Rgt
ENG 42 Cnst Rgt

Total Assault Strength: 198

Kodiak

Airfield Capacity: 3
Fortifications 3 (21%)

Supply: 21,767
Fuel: 6,134

Total Aircraft: 12

Ground Forces:

ENG 1/151 Combat Engr Bn
ENG 107 USN BF
INF 201 (Sep) Inf Rgt.
AA 203 Cst AA Rgt
AA 215 Cst AA Rgt

Total Assault Strength: 161

Prince Rupert

Port Capacity: 4 (30%)
Aircraft Capacity: 2
Fortifications: 3 (4%)

Supply: 3,324
Fuel: 8,544

Total Aircraft: 16

Ground Forces:

ENG 122 USAAF BF
ART 144 FA Bn
INF 14 Canadien Bde
CD RCN Prince Rupert Fort

Total Assault Strength: 159

Best Regards,

-Terry

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Rio Bravo -- 8/27/2015 8:20:48 PM >

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 286
RE: THE WAR COLLEGE-Rio Bravo (A) v. El Lobo (J) - 8/27/2015 6:34:49 PM   
Rio Bravo

quote:

quote:

quote:

BBfanboy-

Best Regards,

-Terry

Something I forgot to mention - it seemed like you were taken by surprise when some of your ships started upgrades at PH. I presume you started the game with automatic upgrades set to "On". This should be changed so that you can get personal control of when upgrades are done. Go to the second button from the left at the top of the screen (Preferences) and select the Auto-Upgrade of Devices to "Off". This will only affect newly arriving ships and units, not the ones already in the game.
Now, every time you do something with a ship or unit, turn off the upgrades unless you are sure it is OK. For land units, you need a good flow of the needed devices into the pools and lots of supply at the base to do the upgrades. For air units, availability of aircraft is key. For both of them, decide whether they will be deployed in combat soon and if so, allow the upgrade while not allowing upgrades for units training or non-deployable.

For ships, upgrades mostly deal with AA and radar, but ASW upgrades are critical for DDs. Get those done as soon as possible. Some upgrades can be skipped, depending on how you will use the ship. BBs South Dakota and Washington get some upgrades close together in late 1942 and the upgrade time uses most of the time before the next one, so the ship doesn't really get much deployment time. Lots of planning in this game!

BBfanboy-

I have a file labeled "BBfanboy Advice."

I will cut and paste this information to your file.

I need a secretary to keep track of all this.

Please forward Raquel Welch to me in brief mini and high heels.

Best Regards,

-Terry

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 287
RE: THE WAR COLLEGE-Rio Bravo (A) v. El Lobo (J) - 8/27/2015 7:07:23 PM   
Rio Bravo

Tahiti

As of March 3, 1942

Opening Notes

1.) The primary logistics route from Pearl Harbor and the USA West Coast is via Tahiti.
2.) No reenforcements are earmarked for Tahiti for the next thirty (30) days.
3.) Once the Tahiti Port, Airfield, and Fort are at standard capacity, some of the engineers will set sail for elsewhere.

Tahiti

Port Capacity: 4 (19%)
Aircraft Capacity: 1
Fortifications: 3 (99%)

Supply: 78,745
Fuel: 12,567

Total Aircraft: 12

Ground Forces:

AA 1/198 Cst AA Bn
ENG 114 USAAF BF
ENG 115 USAAF BF
ENG 134 USA BF
ENG 135 USA BF
ENG 136 USA BF
INF 2/3 Ind Co
AA 251 Cst AA Rgt
INF 29 NZ Bn
INF 30 NZ Bn
ENG 34 Combat Engr Rgt
INF 34 NZ Bn
INF 3/102 Inf Bn
INF 49 Australian Bn
AA 64 Cst AA Rgt
ENG 808 EAB
ENG Bobcats USN SeaBees
ENG C Det USN Port Svc
INF Tahiti Detachment

Total Assault Strength: 348

Best Regards,

-Terry

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Rio Bravo -- 8/27/2015 8:14:49 PM >

(in reply to Rio Bravo)
Post #: 288
RE: THE WAR COLLEGE-Rio Bravo (A) v. El Lobo (J) - 8/27/2015 7:09:59 PM   
HansBolter

To add to BBs advice about upgrades, be careful when allowing upgrades to sub components of a larger unit, such as the regiments of a division.

They can only combine into the larger unit if all devices match.

Players have routinely screwed their ability to put a full division into action because they had all three regiments set to upgrade a certain device but only had enough devices in the pool to handle one or two of the regiments.

They then find their ability to put the larger unit into action delayed while they wait for the pool to refill with sufficient devices for all.

Hans

(in reply to Rio Bravo)
Post #: 289
RE: THE WAR COLLEGE-Rio Bravo (A) v. El Lobo (J) - 8/27/2015 7:18:50 PM   
Rio Bravo

quote:

To add to BBs advice about upgrades, be careful when allowing upgrades to sub components of a larger unit, such as the regiments of a division.

Players have routinely screwed their ability to put a full division into action because they had all three regiments set to upgrade a certain device but only had enough devices in the pool to handle one or two of the regiments.

They then find their ability to put the larger unit into action delayed while they wait for the pool to refill with sufficient devices for all.

Hans-

Sheesh!

How's a guy suppose to have time to plan strategy and tactics and implement the same?

*chuckling*

Best Regards,

-Terry

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 290
RE: THE WAR COLLEGE-Rio Bravo (A) v. El Lobo (J) - 8/27/2015 7:25:36 PM   
pontiouspilot

I wouldn't abandon the Aleutians so quickly. Once you are past Japanese amphib bonus Ap 1st'42 it isn't real easy for him to snatch islands. Adak improves quickly and could be a tough nut for him if he attempted especially after Ap 1st. Make sure you send some coastal art if you decide to keep it. Dutch Harbour is a PIA to improve so send your Eng units to Adak. If nothing else Adak is a great sub base and a good search base. Some use it as a means to get in the back door.

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 291
RE: THE WAR COLLEGE-Rio Bravo (A) v. El Lobo (J) - 8/27/2015 8:19:01 PM   
Rio Bravo

quote:

I wouldn't abandon the Aleutians so quickly. Once you are past Japanese amphib bonus Ap 1st'42 it isn't real easy for him to snatch islands. Adak improves quickly and could be a tough nut for him if he attempted especially after Ap 1st. Make sure you send some coastal art if you decide to keep it. Dutch Harbour is a PIA to improve so send your Eng units to Adak. If nothing else Adak is a great sub base and a good search base. Some use it as a means to get in the back door.

pontiouspilot-

I would like to build-up Adak.

There are lots of places I would like to build-up.

The problem is, not enough troops and too many "Would Like To" build-up locations.

As I mentioned, I made a decision early-on to heavily invest in India, Southern Australia, The Gulf of Alaska, and Tahiti. Perhaps, I selected the wrong locations for early build-up or perhaps I invested too heavily in those locations.

I invested heavily in India, as I view India critical for two reasons: First, I want a land war in China that eventually pushes into Manchukuo and Korea. Second, Joel's fight to hang onto Karachi scared the scotch out of me.

I invested heavily in Australia, because when it is time for the Allies to launch Offensive Operations, I didn't want to be set back because I had to, perhaps, retake most of Australia.

Accordingly, it was a top priority to me to secure India and Southern Australia.

I invested heavily in Tahiti, because my primary logistic path to Australia from Pearl Harbor and the USA West Coast is via Tahiti. Tahiti is a priority to me as I want this logistics path secure.

Lastly, I chose the Gulf of Alaska as a priority to secure. I figured I could tolerate the loss of the Aleutian Islands early on, if I was able to secure the Gulf, as I could then later launch offensive operations to retake the Aleutians.

As I post the troop and aircraft dispositions for these four main priority geographical locations, The War College will be in a good position to determine whether I have perhaps invested too heavily in these areas. Perhaps, I should not have put so many eggs in these baskets, and saved a few eggs for places like Adak, Port Moresby, Rabaul, and Ceylon.

My next priority is to invest heavily in certain Pacific Islands: Wake, Midway, Johnston, Palmyra, and Christmas. At this point, I am not sure how long it will take before I feel comfortable that these five (5) Pacific Islands are somewhat secure. I intend to garrison these islands with Base Forces, construction engineers, Seabees, EABs, Marine Corps Defense Battalions, and a minimum of an infantry battalion. I want the forts, ports, and airfields built-up. I want to stock these islands with supply and fuel. And lastly, I want to be able to quickly load or unload troops at these islands as deemed appropriate when Allied Offensive Operations commence.

Having given the above sermon...*chuckling*...I am open to adjustments for troop and aircraft dispositions.

As always, I do appreciate your help and the help of others. I realize the wealth of knowledge and experience The War College Members bring to the table. The advice given to me is well-taken and critical for me to manage the operations for the Allies.

Best Regards,

Terry

P.S. My fiance is Canadian. She lives South of Too Ron Too; in Burlington, Ontario.

Post #: 292
RE: THE WAR COLLEGE-Rio Bravo (A) v. El Lobo (J) - 8/27/2015 8:46:47 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

quote:

Hans-

Sheesh!

How's a guy suppose to have time to plan strategy and tactics and implement the same?

*chuckling*

Best Regards,

-Terry

Whomever it was who said "Don't sweat the details" never played WITPAE.

Perfection is in the details!

Hans

(in reply to Rio Bravo)
Post #: 293
RE: THE WAR COLLEGE-Rio Bravo (A) v. El Lobo (J) - 8/27/2015 11:55:04 PM   
pontiouspilot

Toronto...you mean TO the next World Series champs?! Well I probably know her, not in biblical sense,....there are only 431 of us up here and TO is only 7days by car away!!!

(in reply to Rio Bravo)
Post #: 294
RE: THE WAR COLLEGE-Rio Bravo (A) v. El Lobo (J) - 8/28/2015 6:17:48 PM   
Rio Bravo

Australia

As of March 3, 1942

Opening Notes

1.) Within the next week or so Australian aircraft will be moved to strategic bases and search arcs will be set up.
2.) The following U.S. ground forces are already on transport ships and are in route to Australia. These units are scattered somewhere between Pearl Harbor and the U.S. West Coast toward Australia. Marine and Navy ground forces will go to Bathurst. Army ground forces will go to Wagga Wagga.

U.S. Marines

I Amphibious Corps
2 USMC Engr Rgt
3 Marine Raider Bn
3 USMC Def Bn
4 USMC Def Bn
2 USMC FA Bn

U.S. Navy

F Det Port Svc
101 USN BF
225 USN BF

U.S. Army

118 USAAF BF
11 USAAF BF
147 FA Rgt
148 FA Bn
94 Cst AA Rgt
96 Cst AA Rgt
197 Cst AA Rgt
208 Cst AA Rgt
276 Cst AA Rgt
428 Cst AA Bn

3.) The following U.S. ground forces are earmarked for Australia and are waiting for political points to be bought out to the Pacific Fleet.
2 Marine Regiment (at San Diego)

19 Inf Rgt (at Pearl Harbor)
21 Inf Rgt (at Pearl Harbor)
27 Inf Rgt (at Pearl Harbor)
35 Inf Rgt (at Pearl Harbor)

4.) No other U.S. ground forces are earmarked for Australia within the next thirty (30) days.

Outpost Early Warning Bases

Note: If the Japanese invade and threaten any of these bases, the ground forces and aircraft garrisoned will be quickly moved to points South of the Whyalla-Brisbane Line.

Townsville

Port Capacity: 3 (9%)
Airfield Capacity: 3 (9%)
Fortifications: 1 (43%)

Supply: 118
Fuel: 3,005

Ground Forces:

CD CD Battery Heavy Cst Art Rgt (moving to Port Kembla)

Total Assault Strength: 0

Darwin

Port Capacity: 3 (21%)
Airfield Capacity: 3 (43%)
Fortifications: 2 (25%)

Supply: 18,690
Fuel: 7,597

Total Aircraft: 16

Ground Forces:
ENG 1 Fgtr RAAF Wing (moving to Katherine)
CD A/B Battery Heavy Cst Art (moving to Katherine)
CD Emery Point Fort

Total Assault Strength: 27

Katherine

Port Capacity: 0
Airfield Capacity: 1
Fortifications: 1(25%)

Supply: 1,503
Fuel: 0

Ground Forces:

ENG 10 Patl RAAF Wing
ENG NW Aus Aviation Rgt
ENG NW Aus BF

Total Assault Strength: 34

Tennant Creek

Fortifications: 1 (68%)

Supply: 129

Ground Forces:

ENG Tennant Creek RAAF BF

Total Assault Strength: 4

Alice Springs

Airfield Capacity: 3(30%)
Fortifications: 3 (14%)

Supply: 2,817

Total Aircraft: 18

Ground Forces:

ENG 11 RAAF BF
INF 19 Aus Bn
ENG 2 RAN BF
ENG Darwin RAAF BF
ENG Derby RAN BF
ENG Katherine RAAF BF
HQc Northern Territory
ENG Wyndham RAAF BF
ENG Broome RAN BF (2 hexes North in route to Alice Springs)

Total Assault Strength: 80

Geraldton

Port Capacity: 1 (30%)
Airfield Capacity: 2 (45%)
Fortifications: 2 (14%)

Supply: 149
Fuel: 1,009

Ground Forces:

CD Geraldton Fort

Total Assault Strength: 9

Perth

Port Capacity: 5
Airfield Capacity: 4
Fortifications: 2 (77%)

Supply: 1,623
Fuel: 3,568

Ground Forces:

CD Freemantle Fort

Total Assault Strength: 27

Kalgoorlie

Fortifications: 1 (45%)

Supply: 117

Ground Forces:

ENG Carnavon RAN BF

Total Assault Strength: 3

Albany

Port Capacity: 3 (17%)
Airfield Capacity: 1 (29%)
Fortifications: 1 (70%)

Supply: 93
Fuel: 3,009

Ground Forces:

CD Princess Royal Fort

Total Assault Strength: 9

Ceduna

Fortifications: 3 (5%)

Supply: 487

Ground Forces:

ENG 17 RAAF BF

Total Assault Strength: 6

Main Defensive Position Bases

Whyalla

Port Capacity: 2
Fortifications: 2 (11%)

Supply: 1,017
Fuel: 2,003

Ground Forces:

INF 13 Australian Bde
ENG 4 RAAF BF

Total Assault Strength: 108

Port Augusta

Fortifications: 3 (18%)

Supply: 2,318
Fuel: 2,001

Ground Forces:

ENG 12 RAAF BF
INF 3 Australian Bde
CD 7 RAA Cst Art Rgt
ENG Geraldton RAN BF
ENG RAAF OUT Augusta
HQc Western Command

Total Assault Strength: 112

Broken Hill

Airfield Capacity: 2
Fortifications: 3 (10%)

Supply: 1,850

Ground Forces:

ENG 4 RAN BF
ENG 5 RAAF BF
INF 6 Aus Cav Bde

Total Assault Strength: 148

Bourke

Fortifications: 2 (59%)

Supply: 1,215

Ground Forces:
ENG 13 RAAF BF
ENG 1 RAAF BF
INF 1 Aus Cav Bde

Total Assault Strength: 138

Toowoomba

Fortifications: 3 (6%)

Supply: 1,687

Ground Forces:

INF 2 Aus Cav Bde
ENG 6 RAN BF

Total Assault Strength: 151

Brisbane

Airfield Capacity: 5

Supply: 9,861
Fuel: 5,357

Total Aircraft: 171

Ground Forces:

INF 11 Australian Bde
INF 7 Australian Bde
ENG Bowen RAN BF
CD Brisbane Fort
HQc Eastern Command
ENG Rockhampton RAN BF

Total Assault Strength: 216

Adelaide

Airfield Capacity: 5
Fortifications: 3 (11%)

Supply: 1,889
Fuel: 7,134

Ground Forces:

INF 6 Australian Bde
CD Largs Fort
ENG RAAF OUT Adelaide

Total Assault Strength: 118

Mildura

Fortifications: 2 (20%)

Supply: 651

Ground Forces:

INF 39 Aus Bn
ENG 3 RAAF BF
INF 53 Aus Bn

Total Assault Strength: 90

Roto

Airfield Capacity: 0 (38%)
Fortifications: 1 (41%)

Supply: 1,235

Ground Forces:

INF 14 Australian Bde
INF 44 Aus Bn
ENG Albany RAN BF

Total Assault Strength: 132

Tamworth

Fortifications: 2 (27%)

Supply: 954

Ground Forces:

ENG 14 RAAF BF
INF 29 Australian Bde

Total Assault Strength: 92

Wagga Wagga (Reactionary Force)

Fortifications: 3 (13%)

Supply: 4,119

Ground Forces:
ART 109 Tank Attack Rgt
ART 131 FA Bn
INF 1 Marine Raider Bn (moving to Bathurst)
ART 1 Medium Rgt
ART 2/16 Field Rgt
ART 205 FA Bn
ART 21/22 Field Rgt
ART 223 FA Bn
ART 2 Marine Def Bn (moving to Bathurst)
ART 2 Medium Rgt
INF 8 Marine Rgt (moving to Bathurst)
ENG Raaf OUT Wagga Wagga

Total Assault Strength: 222

Canberra

Fortifications: 3 (15%)

Supply: 1,409

Ground Forces:

INF 5 Australian Bde
ENG RAAF OUT Canberra

Total Assault Strength: 99

Bathurst (Reactionary Force)

Fortifications: 1 (93%)

Supply: 1,538

Ground Forces:
INFp 2 USMC Parachute Bn
ARM 2 USMC Tank Bn
INF 8 Australian Bde
ENG Bundaberg RAN BF

Total Assault Strength: 209

Portland

Fortifications: 3 (11%)

Supply: 1,445
Fuel: 2,002

Ground Forces:

ENG 16 RAAF BF
INF 2 Australian Bde
CD 6 RAN Cst Art Rgt

Total Assault Strength: 118

Geelong

Fortifications: 2 (2%)

Supply: 743

Ground Forces:

ENG 2 RAAF BF
INF 32 Aus Bn
INF 38 Aus Bn

Total Assault Strength: 89

Melbourne

Port Capacity: 7
Airfield Capacity: 8
Fortifications: 3 (8%)

Supply: 12,789
Fuel: 21,260

Total Aircraft: 143

Ground Forces:

HQy 1 Aus Army
INF 2 Marine Raider Bn (moving to Bathurst)
CD 2 RAA Cst Art Rgt
INF 4 Australian Bde
ENG RAAF OUT Melbourne

Total Assault Strength: 139

Portsea

Fortifications: 3 (0%)

Supply: 892
Fuel: 551

Ground Forces:

INF 10 Australian Bde
CD Nepean Fort

Total Assault Strength: 86

Sale (Starting bid $26,000)

Fortifications: 2 (28%)

Supply: 701
Fuel: 1,207

Ground Forces:

INF 15 Australian Bde

Total Assault Strength: 86

Port Kembla

Fortifications: 2 (19%)

Supply: 1,095
Fuel: 1,783

Ground Forces:

AA 4 Aus Lt AA Rgt
INF 9 Australian Bde

Total Assault Strength: 91

Sydney

Port Capacity: 9
Airfield Capacity: 8 (31%)

Supply: 694,736
Fuel: 26,614

Total Aircraft: 30

Ground Forces:

INF 1 Australian Bde
ENG 1 RAAF M/W Sqd
INF 2/5 Ind Co (moving to Wagga Wagga)
INF 2/7 Ind Co (moving to Wagga Wagga)
AA 2 Aus Heavy AA Rgt
CD 5 RAA Cst Art Rgt
HQ Australian Command
CD Banks Fort
CD North Fort
HQa RAAF Command
ENG RAAF OUT Sydney

Total Assault Strength: 200

Newcastle

Port Capacity: 4
Fortifications: 2 (68%)

Supply: 1,320
Fuel: 2,468

Ground Forces:
INF 18 Aus Bn
INF 41 Aus Bn
INF 45 Aus Bn
CD Newcastle Fort

Total Assault Strength: 136

End Note

Though I am pleased with the progression of the build-up of ports, airfields, and forts, Australia remains I a rather weak condition. The Americans earmarked for Australia need to pour in before the Japanese pour in.

Best Regards,

-Terry

Attachment (1)

Post #: 295
RE: THE WAR COLLEGE-Rio Bravo (A) v. El Lobo (J) - 8/28/2015 6:20:42 PM   
Rio Bravo

quote:

quote:

quote:

Hans-

Sheesh!

*chuckling*

Best Regards,

-Terry

Whomever it was who said "Don't sweat the details" never played WITPAE.

Perfection is in the details!

Hans-

Yes, and El Lobo and fastidious attention to details!

I will need to do the same to give him a good fight.

Best Regards,

-Terry

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 296
RE: THE WAR COLLEGE-Rio Bravo (A) v. El Lobo (J) - 8/28/2015 6:23:33 PM   
Rio Bravo

quote:

Toronto...you mean TO the next World Series champs?! Well I probably know her, not in biblical sense,....there are only 431 of us up here and TO is only 7days by car away!!!

pontiouspilot-

Now I know you're fibbing.

I have been to Hutches and there were at least 150 Canadians eating fish and chips, and gabbing, and looking out toward Lake Ontario!

*laughing*

Best Regards,

-Terry

P.S. Go Dodger Blue!

Post #: 297
RE: THE WAR COLLEGE-Rio Bravo (A) v. El Lobo (J) - 8/28/2015 6:57:57 PM   
Rio Bravo

Combat Report

for

March 3, 1942

Japanese Bombers Continue to Pound the Allies Every Day; Especially in China!

El Lobo is a Good Example of what is Wrong with This World: Greed!

Ground combat at Hengyang (80,53)

Japanese Deliberate attack

Attacking force 5846 troops, 38 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 210

Defending force 0 troops, 0 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 0

Japanese adjusted assault: 201

Allied adjusted defense: 1

Japanese assault odds: 201 to 1 (fort level 2)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Hengyang !!!

Combat modifiers
Attacker:

Assaulting units:
51st Infantry Brigade

And

Ground combat at Iloilo (79,84)

Attacking force 8289 troops, 80 guns, 28 vehicles, Assault Value = 282

Defending force 2798 troops, 50 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 115

Japanese adjusted assault: 116

Allied adjusted defense: 6

Japanese assault odds: 19 to 1 (fort level 1)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Iloilo !!!

Combat modifiers
Defender: leaders(-), fatigue(-), morale(-), experience(-), supply(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
71 casualties reported

Squads: 0 destroyed, 4 disabled
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 1 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled

Allied ground losses:
1214 casualties reported

Squads: 67 destroyed, 26 disabled
Non Combat: 19 destroyed, 0 disabled
Engineers: 7 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 22 (22 destroyed, 0 disabled)
Units retreated 1

Defeated Allied Units Retreating!

Assaulting units:
19th/A Division
19th/C Division

Defending units:
61st PA Infantry Division

Evil El Lobo Amphibious Assaults Hex 50,98:

Amphibious Assault at 50,98

TF 252 troops unloading over beach at 50,98

Japanese ground losses:
38 casualties reported

Squads: 2 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 0 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 2 (2 destroyed, 0 disabled)

17 troops of a IJA Infantry Squad lost from landing craft during unload of 21st/A Div /1
47mm Type 01 AT Gun dropped into water during unload of 21st/A Div /3
17 troops of a IJA Infantry Squad accidentally lost during unload of 21st/A Div /5
75mm T94 Mtn Gun lost overboard during unload of 21st/A Div /9
10 Support troops accidentally lost during unload of 21st/A Div /11

Batangas Holds!

Ground combat at Batangas (79,78)

Attacking force 2917 troops, 18 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 115

Defending force 6781 troops, 142 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 297

Japanese adjusted assault: 98

Allied adjusted defense: 67

Japanese assault odds: 1 to 1 (fort level 2)

Japanese Assault reduces fortifications to 1

Combat modifiers
Defender: forts(+), leaders(-), fatigue(-), experience(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
123 casualties reported

Squads: 1 destroyed, 8 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled

Allied ground losses:
157 casualties reported

Squads: 2 destroyed, 17 disabled

Assaulting units:
58th Infantry Brigade

Defending units:
41st PA Infantry Division
51st PA Infantry Division
PAF Aviation

Allied Bombardment Continues to Hammer Japanese at Batavia!

Ground combat at Batavia (49,98)

Allied Bombardment attack

Attacking force 6587 troops, 118 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 355

Defending force 23542 troops, 318 guns, 110 vehicles, Assault Value = 634

Japanese ground losses:
132 casualties reported

Squads: 1 destroyed, 5 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled
Engineers: 1 destroyed, 0 disabled

Allied ground losses:
23 casualties reported

Squads: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled

Assaulting units:
2nd KNIL Regiment
1st Regt Cavalerie
1st KNIL Regiment
1st KNIL Landstorm Battalion
4th KNIL Landstorm Battalion
Roodenburg Battalion
1 ML-KNIL Aviation
Batavia Coastal Gun Battalion
Merak Base Force
ML-KNIL
1st KNIL AA Battalion
Batavia Base Force

Defending units:
14th Guards Regiment
55th Infantry Regiment
16th Naval Guard Unit
21st/B Division
15th Naval Guard Unit
15th Guards Regiment
21st/C Division
III/81st Naval Guard Unit
2nd Ind.Hvy.Art. Battalion
10th Ind. Mountain Gun Regiment
3rd Ind.Hvy.Art. Battalion
2nd Mortar Battalion
93rd JAAF AF Bn
15th JAAF AF Bn
20th Ind. Mtn Gun Battalion
1st Hvy.Artillery Regiment
29th JAAF AF Coy

Best Regards,

-Terry

(in reply to Rio Bravo)
Post #: 298
RE: THE WAR COLLEGE-Rio Bravo (A) v. El Lobo (J) - 8/28/2015 7:06:07 PM   
Rio Bravo

Heading to Reno

To: The War College Members
Re: Brief Disappearance

My fiance is heading back to Canada. We leave for Reno, Nevada tomorrow morning (August 29, 2015). We are going to spend the night in Reno and we are going to the Vince Gill concert.

Sunday morning (August 30, 2015) I will take her to the airport.

I may or may not be home on Sunday. I might stay another night in Reno to watch some football games and drink all pontiouspilot's good scotch.

Everyone have a good weekend.

Best Regards,

-Terry

(in reply to Rio Bravo)
Post #: 299
RE: THE WAR COLLEGE-Rio Bravo (A) v. El Lobo (J) - 9/1/2015 6:49:39 PM   
Rio Bravo

Not much to report.

The Japanese are busy on vacation so haven't made a move for a few days.

The Allies are studying the Pacific War Theaters, taking notes, and studying all the good advice that The War College members have provided to me.

Request urgent supply of sticky notes and scotch.

Best Regards,

-Terry

(in reply to Rio Bravo)
Post #: 300
Page:   <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: THE WAR COLLEGE-Rio Bravo (A) v. El Lobo (J) Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI