Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: THE WAR COLLEGE-Rio Bravo (A) v. El Lobo (J)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: THE WAR COLLEGE-Rio Bravo (A) v. El Lobo (J) Page: <<   < prev  24 25 [26] 27 28   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: THE WAR COLLEGE-Rio Bravo (A) v. El Lobo (J) - 3/9/2016 4:17:37 PM   
CaptHaggard

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wargmr

quote:

ORIGINAL: CaptHaggard

Admiral Rio and Colleagues,

This CaptHaggard reporting for duty.

War College: I have gleaned much insight into this game from your remarks and advice.

I am a board-game guy who is on the verge of purchasing this game. About the only period I didn't play simulation battles, beginning with AH's Gettysburg in '59, was when I was actually in the USN '67-'71.

Rio and I have known each other for years. (Come to think of it, I've known Lobo for almost as long.)

Rio and I once cobbled together a table in order to play SPI's seven-map War in the Pacific, and I can say for sure that this game appears to be way easier on a marriage than taking over an entire living room.

After looking in for months, I'm hooked. Until I get up and running, he is graciously permitting me to run his sub ops (as best as I can via the aforementioned maps and email.)

I might mention that El Lobo not only knows of my participation, he welcomes it. That's because he relishes the idea of thrashing me almost as much as Rio.

I trust the gentlemen don't mind if I occasionally pose a question or seek clarification.

For example:

Do "wolfpack" tactics (three or more submarines in one hex) net a commensurate advantage in this game system?

Thank you, and happy to be aboard!

—Hag

This isnt a game, it is a hobby. You have been warned ;]

Wargmr: I appreciate the heads up!

(in reply to Mike McCreery)
Post #: 751
RE: THE WAR COLLEGE-Rio Bravo (A) v. El Lobo (J) - 3/9/2016 4:27:13 PM   
CaptHaggard

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

But for hours played vs. game cost - a very cheap hobby!

To answer your question re: sub ops, the game engine does not calculate any advantage per se for a "wolfpack" , as in saturating the defence of the convoy.
Therefore the games experts will tell you that individual sub patrols mean you can cover twice as many hexes per turn and have twice the number of opportunities as compared to a pack of two subs.

BUT, I am a dissenting opinion because successful attacks depend on detecting the target. What I have seen is that very often when one of the subs in my two-sub pack gets a shot at something, or is just seen and doesn't get a shot, the other sub also gets an even better opportunity. And if the first sub damages something the second sub delivers the coup de grâce.

To make this work the TF commander must have good leadership skills 60+. With individual subs leadership does not matter so much.

If you are left in some confusion about which way to go, get used to it. The game is full of angles that have advantages and disadvantages and it will come down to your preferred style of play. Experiment a lot until you get a feel for what risks you can tolerate and what you will not.

Note that you can (and should) pose your questions in "The War Room" section of this forum rather than someone else's AAR. Members are very helpful but at some point they will expect you to search on the forum for information that has already been posted before asking common questions.

Welcome aboard, Admiral/Field Marshall/Air Marshall Haggard!

BBfanboy: I appreciate this heads up as well—reporting for my first ship out of boot camp, I learned quickly what was expected when I overstepped—inadvertent or otherwise. Hereafter, I shall comb "The War Room" for information. As for your dissenting opinion, I find that a compelling analysis. Again, than you!

—Hag

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 752
RE: THE WAR COLLEGE-Rio Bravo (A) v. El Lobo (J) - 3/9/2016 4:45:26 PM   
HansBolter

Almost too many reasons for not flying to be able to guess.
Weather doesn't seem to be the factor.

IIRC LI has a capacity of 16 which means that standard Marine 18 plane squads can operate from it with the capacity number in the orange.

Slightly over capacity, but not enough to shut down flight ops.

Who's doing the searching for the TF? Is the DB squad set with at least 10% to 20% search?

I hove found since the days of playing Uncommon Valor that squads seem to fly more often if they have a percentage of their own squad doing the searching.

Otherwise cruiser FPs in the same TF would be the next best bet.

If the ships were spotted only by land based PBYs the chance of a sortie from eth carrier might be reduced

Hans

(in reply to CaptHaggard)
Post #: 753
RE: THE WAR COLLEGE-Rio Bravo (A) v. El Lobo (J) - 3/9/2016 8:34:52 PM   
Rio Bravo

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

Almost too many reasons for not flying to be able to guess.
Weather doesn't seem to be the factor.

IIRC LI has a capacity of 16 which means that standard Marine 18 plane squads can operate from it with the capacity number in the orange.

Slightly over capacity, but not enough to shut down flight ops.

Who's doing the searching for the TF? Is the DB squad set with at least 10% to 20% search?

I hove found since the days of playing Uncommon Valor that squads seem to fly more often if they have a percentage of their own squad doing the searching.

Otherwise cruiser FPs in the same TF would be the next best bet.

If the ships were spotted only by land based PBYs the chance of a sortie from eth carrier might be reduced

Hans-

The search was conducted by three squadrons from the CLs accompanying the Long Island.

Today, I set twenty percent of Long Island's Dive Bombers on Naval Search.

I ordered the Long Island 80 miles due south, hoping the Japanese War Ships will continue northwest and that the Long Island gets one more chance to sink something.

Best Regards,

-Terry

"No one throws me my own guns and tells me to run. No one."

-Bret (James Coburn); The Magnificent Seven

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 754
RE: THE WAR COLLEGE-Rio Bravo (A) v. El Lobo (J) - 3/9/2016 10:40:13 PM   
CaptHaggard

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rio Bravo

War College Members

Please Meet Allied Submarine Fleet Commander CaptHaggard

Dispatch this 6th Day of August, 1942

Hag will be recommending the disposition and operations for all Allied submarines in the Pacific Theater of War.

Hag is supremely qualified to assume such command. He has been a scholar of World War II and the American Civil War for over sixty years. His knowledge will be extremely valuable to the Allies. Hag is also a tactical genius. I can personally vouch for him as he has personally kicked my ass in numerous WWII and American Civil War strategical war games.

Now then, please bare with me as I tell you a humorous story regarding the first day I met Hag.

It was a beautiful day in June of 1973 on the campus of the University of California at Santa Barbara. I was 21 years old. I had, but a couple days earlier, received an early release from the United States Marine Corps to attend college. The last thing I really wanted was to be stuck in some stuffy classroom listening to the Professor drone on about how America was a War Monger. I was not of the "Hippie" anti-war ilk; I wanted to be at the nude beach just off campus watching the shapely college girls frolicking about.

The Professor moved from trashing the Vietnam War to trashing the internment of the Japanese during World War II. I was half asleep when one of the students objected to the Professor's rendition of the "Internment" and proceeded to give the Professor a lecture regarding the facts and circumstances surrounding the "Internment," taking the entire class and the Professor back to 1942 versus the Professor's hindsight of 1973.

I woke up, chuckling, as Hag ripped the Professor into a new Asshole. I laughed even harder when the entire class and the Professor strung-up Hag to sway in the slight breeze coming through an open window. Yet, Hag wasn't done, with his feet swaying and his neck in the noose, he battled them right up until class was over...with the exception of myself whom remained silent, by himself, outnumbered, just one ex sailor against the Professor and his sheep. Hag had taken Political Correctness to a whole new level.

After class, outside under a bright Santa Barbara sun, I approached Hag and asked, "Care to cut class, find a dive bar, and get hammered?" Hag was up for it and that was the beginning of our friendship.

Welcome aboard Commander Hag. Remember the Boisie and get even with our friend El Lobo!

Best Regards,

-Terry

Thank you, Admiral, for a colorful rendition of that fateful day.

Clarification: I never advocated for the internment camps—indeed, a sad mark against our country. I simply called for historical empathy: an acknowledgement that the placid perception of those insulated neighborhoods of Issei had overnight become unhinged. Suddenly they were sinister dens of furtive outsiders. This in no way justified the terrible actions to come, but in some small way made them more understandable.

But—as Rio indicated—no sale.

And now—unless there exists a Strolling Down Memory Lane Room—I suggest we get on with the business at hand...

(in reply to Rio Bravo)
Post #: 755
RE: THE WAR COLLEGE-Rio Bravo (A) v. El Lobo (J) - 3/10/2016 1:53:24 AM   
Rio Bravo

Combat Report

for

August 7, 1942

Tomorrow, December 8, 1942, The Prince of Wales and Repulse along with numerous other Surface Combat ships will head to waters surrounding Diego Garcia to hunt down and destroy Evil Red Sun ship's.

Why?

Well, because that Rat Bastard El Lobo used five Allied transports carrying the 102nd Combat Engineer Battalion as TARGET PRACTICE!

El Lobo's Big Guns Rain Lead on Chinese Ducking in the Forest Near Chungking:

Ground combat at 75,47 (near Chungking)

Japanese Bombardment attack

Attacking force 93996 troops, 1062 guns, 198 vehicles, Assault Value = 2618

Defending force 40915 troops, 116 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 1207

Allied ground losses:
139 casualties reported

Squads: 0 destroyed, 25 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled

Assaulting units:
40th Division
19th Ind.Mixed Brigade
22nd Division
104th Division
102nd Infantry Regiment
6th Division
52nd Infantry Brigade
39th Division
3rd Division
1st Ching An Tui Brigade
55th Infantry Brigade
51st Infantry Brigade
138th Infantry Regiment
RGC Army
2nd JAAF AF Coy
5th RF Gun Battalion
2nd Mobile Field Artillery Regiment
21st Mortar Battalion
13th Ind.Hvy.Art Battalion
8th Mountain Gun Regiment
23rd Army
28th Mountain Gun Regiment
1st JAAF AF Coy
2nd RF Gun Battalion
67th JAAF AF Coy

Defending units:
68th Chinese Corps
30th Chinese Corps
74th Chinese Corps
59th Chinese Corps
67th Chinese Corps
65th Chinese Corps
63rd Chinese Corps
48th Chinese Corps
85th Chinese Corps
9th Group Army
1st Group Army
5th Chinese Cavalry Corps
7th Chinese Base Force
29th Group Army
13th Chinese Base Force
16th Group Army
20th Chinese Base Force

Japanese Combat Surface Fleet Decimates Five Allied Transports Near Diego Garcia:

Night Time Surface Combat, near Diego Garcia at 8,62, Range 2,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CA Tone
CA Chikuma
DD Tanikaze
DD Michishio
DD Fubuki
DD Satsuki

Allied Ships
xAK Stanmore, Shell hits 6, on fire
xAK Ettrickbank, Shell hits 5, heavy fires
xAK Lavington Court, Torpedo hits 2, and is sunk
xAK Silvermaple, Shell hits 12, heavy fires, heavy damage
xAK Deslock, Shell hits 4, Torpedo hits 4, and is sunk

Allied ground losses:
1123 casualties reported

Squads: 0 destroyed, 4 disabled
Non Combat: 42 destroyed, 36 disabled
Engineers: 82 destroyed, 25 disabled
Guns lost 4 (4 destroyed, 0 disabled)
Vehicles lost 35 (28 destroyed, 7 disabled)

Low visibility due to Thunderstorms with 21% moonlight (too much moonlight, not enough rain)
Maximum visibility in Thunderstorms and 21% moonlight: 2,000 yards
Range closes to 8,000 yards...
Range closes to 7,000 yards...
Range closes to 6,000 yards...
Range closes to 5,000 yards...
Range closes to 4,000 yards...
Range closes to 3,000 yards...
Range closes to 2,000 yards...
CONTACT: Japanese lookouts spot Allied task force at 2,000 yards
CONTACT: Allied lookouts spot Japanese task force at 2,000 yards
xAK Deslock sunk by CA Chikuma at 2,000 yards
xAK Lavington Court sunk by DD Satsuki at 2,000 yards
DD Fubuki engages xAK Ettrickbank at 2,000 yards
DD Fubuki engages xAK Stanmore at 2,000 yards
Range increases to 4,000 yards
DD Satsuki engages xAK Ettrickbank at 4,000 yards
DD Satsuki engages xAK Stanmore at 4,000 yards
DD Fubuki engages xAK Ettrickbank at 4,000 yards
Range closes to 3,000 yards
CA Tone engages xAK Silvermaple at 3,000 yards
Range closes to 2,000 yards
CA Chikuma engages xAK Silvermaple at 2,000 yards
CA Tone engages xAK Silvermaple at 2,000 yards
DD Fubuki engages xAK Stanmore at 2,000 yards
CA Chikuma engages xAK Silvermaple at 2,000 yards
CA Tone engages xAK Silvermaple at 2,000 yards
DD Satsuki engages xAK Ettrickbank at 2,000 yards
DD Fubuki engages xAK Silvermaple at 4,000 yards
Allied Task Force Manages to Escape
Task forces break off... (Thank Goodness!)

Best Regards,

-Terry

Post #: 756
RE: THE WAR COLLEGE-Rio Bravo (A) v. El Lobo (J) - 3/10/2016 3:05:52 AM   
CaptBeefheart

quote:

It was a beautiful day in June of 1973 on the campus of the University of California at Santa Barbara. I was 21 years old. I had, but a couple days earlier, received an early release from the United States Marine Corps to attend college. The last thing I really wanted was to be stuck in some stuffy classroom listening to the Professor drone on about how America was a War Monger. I was not of the "Hippie" anti-war ilk; I wanted to be at the nude beach just off campus watching the shapely college girls frolicking about.

The Professor moved from trashing the Vietnam War to trashing the internment of the Japanese during World War II. I was half asleep when one of the students objected to the Professor's rendition of the "Internment" and proceeded to give the Professor a lecture regarding the facts and circumstances surrounding the "Internment," taking the entire class and the Professor back to 1942 versus the Professor's hindsight of 1973.

I woke up, chuckling, as Hag ripped the Professor into a new Asshole. I laughed even harder when the entire class and the Professor strung-up Hag to sway in the slight breeze coming through an open window. Yet, Hag wasn't done, with his feet swaying and his neck in the noose, he battled them right up until class was over...with the exception of myself whom remained silent, by himself, outnumbered, just one ex sailor against the Professor and his sheep. Hag had taken Political Correctness to a whole new level.

After class, outside under a bright Santa Barbara sun, I approached Hag and asked, "Care to cut class, find a dive bar, and get hammered?" Hag was up for it and that was the beginning of our friendship.

That is a beautiful story. My Vietnam War class was actually taught by a guy who brought in veterans, so it was actually quite balanced.

Cheers,
CC

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

(in reply to Rio Bravo)
Post #: 757
RE: THE WAR COLLEGE-Rio Bravo (A) v. El Lobo (J) - 3/10/2016 11:26:47 AM   
Rio Bravo

Commander Cody-

Welcome to The War College and thank you for the compliment.

I don't think U.C.S.B. offered a Class on the Vietnam War in 1973. And earlier tonight, I was on the phone with Hag. He said that he thought we were in a U. S. History class.

Best Regards,

-Terry

(in reply to CaptBeefheart)
Post #: 758
RE: THE WAR COLLEGE-Rio Bravo (A) v. El Lobo (J) - 3/10/2016 11:42:42 PM   
Rio Bravo

Combat Report

for

August 8, 1942

I am breathing a sigh of relief considering Japanese Warships did not completely decimate the 102nd Combat Engineer Battalion today. Accordingly, the 102nd, or what is left of it, will unload at Diego Garcia. Hopefully, it will eventually build up to full strength?

The Allies are sunbathing on Marcus Island.

Chinese Fight Tough in the Mountains Near Kuming!

Ground combat at 70,45 (near Kunming)

Japanese Deliberate attack

Attacking force 5292 troops, 52 guns, 202 vehicles, Assault Value = 240

Defending force 9232 troops, 60 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 286

Japanese adjusted assault: 73

Allied adjusted defense: 160

Japanese assault odds: 1 to 2

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), leaders(+), experience(-), supply(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
118 casualties reported

Squads: 0 destroyed, 14 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled

Allied ground losses:
190 casualties reported

Squads: 0 destroyed, 19 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 6 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

Assaulting units:
21st Ind.Mixed Brigade
7th Ind.Tank Brigade

Defending units:
24th Chinese Corps
7th Group Army
3rd Group Army
Jingcha War Area
3rd Chinese Base Force

Another Japanese Sally Wishes it Never Would Have Went to China!

Morning Air attack on 14th Chinese Corps, at 77,47 , near Chungking

Weather in hex: Overcast

Raid spotted at 13 NM, estimated altitude 14,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 3 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-21-IIa Sally x 7

Allied aircraft
P-66 Vanguard x 3

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-21-IIa Sally: 1 destroyed, 2 damaged

No Allied losses

Aircraft Attacking:
2 x Ki-21-IIa Sally bombing from 10000 feet
Ground Attack: 4 x 250 kg GP Bomb

CAP engaged:
5th FG/17th FS CAF with P-66 Vanguard (3 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
(3 plane(s) diverted to support CAP in hex.)
3 plane(s) intercepting now.
Group patrol altitude is 10000 , scrambling fighters between 0 and 10000.
Raid is overhead

Best Regards,

-Terry

(in reply to Rio Bravo)
Post #: 759
RE: THE WAR COLLEGE-Rio Bravo (A) v. El Lobo (J) - 3/11/2016 6:03:26 PM   
Rio Bravo

The China Situation

as of August 9, 1942

El Lobo continues to tighten the noose around Chungking.

The Chinese continue to dig-in and occasionally sneak behind enemy lines in an effort to disrupt logistics.

However, the Chinese can not expect any help from the Allies anytime soon as Operation Land Shark does not jump off until October 15, 1942. It will take a while for the Allies to push through Burma, and longer to breach the Japanese defense in China in route to taking possession of Chungking.

There is good news. The seventh and final U.S. Army Division (41st Infantry Division) earmarked for Operation Land Shark is but a mere five days away from being bought out. Accordingly, it should reach India in ample time to take the railroad from Bombay to Imphal to be ready to act as rear guard for the Americal Division as the Americal Division races through Burma and into China.

The disposition of China air and ground forces are depicted below.

Best Regards,

-Terry

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Rio Bravo)
Post #: 760
RE: THE WAR COLLEGE-Rio Bravo (A) v. El Lobo (J) - 3/12/2016 3:30:50 PM   
Rio Bravo

Combat Report

for

August 9, 1942

El Lobo's Grim Reapers Smash Back Chinese Near Kweiyang:

Ground combat at 74,47 (near Kweiyang)

Attacking force 10056 troops, 86 guns, 382 vehicles, Assault Value = 442

Defending force 13978 troops, 42 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 466

Japanese adjusted assault: 297

Allied adjusted defense: 115

Japanese assault odds: 2 to 1

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), experience(-), supply(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
320 casualties reported

Squads: 0 destroyed, 24 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 4 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 6 disabled
Vehicles lost 13 (1 destroyed, 12 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
6398 casualties reported

Squads: 219 destroyed, 132 disabled
Non Combat: 162 destroyed, 41 disabled
Engineers: 5 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 6 (3 destroyed, 3 disabled)
Units retreated 4

Defeated Allied Units Retreating!

Assaulting units:
10th Tank Regiment
7th Tank Regiment
57th Infantry Brigade
2nd Recon Battalion
2nd Mobile Infantry Regiment
2nd Mobile Engineer Regiment

Defending units:
31st Chinese Corps
41st Chinese Corps
84th Chinese Corps
Lusu War Area

Japanese Advance Near Chihkiang:

Ground combat at 78,48 (near Chihkiang)

Attacking force 2270 troops, 12 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 105

Defending force 1291 troops, 0 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 35

Japanese adjusted assault: 105

Allied adjusted defense: 15

Japanese assault odds: 7 to 1

Combat modifiers
Attacker: leaders(+)

Japanese ground losses:
17 casualties reported

Squads: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled

Allied ground losses:
330 casualties reported

Squads: 12 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 9 destroyed, 0 disabled
Units retreated 1

Assaulting units:
11th RGC Temp. Division

Defending units:
7th New Chinese Corps

El Lobo Should Change the Name of His Sallys to Flying Coffins!

Morning Air attack on 14th Chinese Corps, at 77,47 , near Chungking

Weather in hex: Thunderstorms

Raid spotted at 17 NM, estimated altitude 13,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 4 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-21-IIa Sally x 3

Allied aircraft
P-66 Vanguard x 2

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-21-IIa Sally: 1 destroyed

No Allied losses

CAP engaged:
5th FG/17th FS CAF with P-66 Vanguard (2 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
(2 plane(s) diverted to support CAP in hex.)
2 plane(s) intercepting now.
Raid is overhead

Best Regards,

-Terry

(in reply to Rio Bravo)
Post #: 761
RE: THE WAR COLLEGE-Rio Bravo (A) v. El Lobo (J) - 3/12/2016 8:10:12 PM   
CaptHaggard

Why is it more effective for him to send just a few Sally bombers in at a time?

It also seems odd he never seems to accompany these raids with fighter cover...

Maybe the range is too great?

Post #: 762
RE: THE WAR COLLEGE-Rio Bravo (A) v. El Lobo (J) - 3/13/2016 3:29:30 PM   
Rio Bravo

Combat Report

for

August 10, 1942

A good day for El Lobo. Four Allied transports are sunk along with the 148th FA Battalion and 428th AA Regiment.

Ferrying air and ground forces to India past Diego Garcia has been temporarily suspended.

Japanese Artillery Shatter Chinese Near Kienko:

Ground combat at 80,40 (near Kienko)

Japanese Bombardment attack

Attacking force 144158 troops, 1996 guns, 1108 vehicles, Assault Value = 4587

Defending force 108897 troops, 323 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 3278

Allied ground losses:
665 casualties reported

Squads: 15 destroyed, 57 disabled
Non Combat: 2 destroyed, 7 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 4 disabled

Assaulting units:
110th/A Division
36th Division
10th Division
4th Ind.Mixed Brigade
59th Infantry Brigade
27th Electric Engineer Regiment
37th Division
24th Division
41st Division
23rd Division
1st Engineer Regiment
28th Engineer Regiment
12th Division
110th/B Division
1st Ind.Mixed Brigade
14th Division
7th Ind.Mixed Brigade
110th/C Division
26th Field Artillery Regiment
4th Ind.Hvy.Art. Battalion
5th Army
3rd RF Gun Battalion
24th Ind. Engineer Regiment
Korea Army
10th Medium Field Artillery Regiment
6th Army
7th Ind. Engineer Regiment
49th Const Co
4th Ind. Mountain Gun Regiment
9th Ind. Engineer Regiment
8th Ind.Hvy.Art. Battalion
2nd Hvy.Artillery Regiment
51st Road Const Co
1st Army
Mongol Garrison Army
9th Medium Field Artillery Regiment
12th Medium Field Artillery Regiment
7th RF Gun Battalion
12th Army
1st Mobile Field Artillery Regiment
1st Field Artillery Regiment
15th Ind.Medium Field Artillery Regiment
5th Medium Field Artillery Regiment
3rd Hvy.Artillery Regiment
1st Mortar Battalion
46th Const Co
13th Ind.Art.Mortar Battalion
6th RF Gun Battalion
48th Road Const Co
5th Ind.Hvy.Art Battalion
56th JAAF AF Bn
51st Ind.Mtn.Gun Battalion
20th Medium Field Artillery Regiment
7th Medium Field Artillery Regiment
22nd Ind. Engineer Regiment
47th Road Const Co
11th Ind.Art.Mortar Battalion
2nd Medium Field Artillery Regiment
15th Medium Field Artillery Regiment
45th Const Co
46th Road Const Co
2nd Ind. Mountain Gun Regiment
45th Road Const Co
3rd Army
Tonei Hvy Gun Regiment
12th Ind.Art.Mortar Battalion
4th RF Gun Battalion
1st Ind.Hvy.Art. Battalion
4th Medium Field Artillery Regiment
22nd Medium Field Artillery Regiment
6th Ind.Hvy.Art. Battalion
7th Ind.Hvy.Art. Battalion
52nd Road Const Co
52nd Ind.Mtn.Gun Battalion
14th Medium Field Artillery Regiment
Botanko Hvy Gun Regiment
6th Medium Field Artillery Regiment
68th JAAF AF Coy

Defending units:
45th Chinese Corps
80th Chinese Corps
60th Chinese Corps
40th Chinese Corps
16th Chinese Corps
75th Chinese Corps
99th Chinese Corps
76th Chinese Corps
4th Chinese Corps
2nd Chinese Corps
3rd Chinese Corps
55th Chinese Corps
79th Chinese Corps
100th Chinese Corps
50th Chinese Corps
57th Chinese Corps
1st Chinese Cavalry Corps
18th Group Army
26th Group Army
13th Chinese Corps
15th Group Army
23rd Group Army
6th War Area
36th Chinese Corps
71st Chinese Corps

Japanese Surface Combat Ships Hammer Allied Transports Near Diego Garcia:

Night Time Surface Combat, near Diego Garcia at 5,60, Range 2,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CA Tone
CA Chikuma
DD Tanikaze
DD Michishio
DD Fubuki
DD Satsuki

Allied Ships
xAK Vitorlock, Shell hits 5, on fire
xAK Maetsuycker, Shell hits 11, and is sunk

Allied ground losses:
460 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 63 destroyed, 23 disabled
Guns lost 93 (78 destroyed, 15 disabled)
Vehicles lost 37 (32 destroyed, 5 disabled)

Low visibility due to Thunderstorms with 3% moonlight
Maximum visibility in Thunderstorms and 3% moonlight: 2,000 yards
Range closes to 9,000 yards...
CA Tone engages xAK Maetsuycker at 2,000 yards
CA Tone engages xAK Maetsuycker at 2,000 yards
Range increases to 3,000 yards
CA Chikuma engages xAK Maetsuycker at 3,000 yards
xAK Maetsuycker sunk by CA Tone at 2,000 yards
CA Chikuma engages xAK Vitorlock at 4,000 yards
DD Michishio engages xAK Vitorlock at 4,000 yards
Range increases to 5,000 yards
DD Michishio engages xAK Vitorlock at 5,000 yards
Allied Task Force Manages to Escape
Task forces break off...

And Again

Night Time Surface Combat, near Diego Garcia at 5,60, Range 2,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CA Tone
CA Chikuma
DD Tanikaze
DD Michishio
DD Fubuki
DD Satsuki

Allied Ships
xAK Federlock, Shell hits 12, and is sunk

Allied ground losses:
Guns lost 23 (16 destroyed, 7 disabled)
Vehicles lost 24 (10 destroyed, 14 disabled)

Low visibility due to Thunderstorms with 3% moonlight
Maximum visibility in Thunderstorms and 3% moonlight: 2,000 yards
Range closes to 11,000 yards...
Range closes to 10,000 yards...
DD Satsuki engages xAK Federlock at 2,000 yards
CA Chikuma engages xAK Federlock at 2,000 yards
xAK Federlock sunk by CA Chikuma at 2,000 yards
xAK Federlock sunk by CA Chikuma at 2,000 yards
Combat ends with last Allied ship sunk...

And One Last Time

Day Time Surface Combat, near Diego Garcia at 7,59, Range 6,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CA Tone
CA Chikuma
DD Tanikaze
DD Michishio
DD Fubuki
DD Satsuki

Allied Ships
xAK Vitorlock, Shell hits 8, and is sunk

Allied ground losses:
184 casualties reported
Non Combat: 21 destroyed, 23 disabled
Guns lost 47 (23 destroyed, 24 disabled)
Vehicles lost 24 (10 destroyed, 14 disabled)

Poor visibility due to Thunderstorms
Maximum visibility in Thunderstorms: 6,000 yards
Range closes to 23,000 yards...
Range closes to 21,000 yards...
Range closes to 19,000 yards...
Range closes to 17,000 yards...
Range closes to 15,000 yards...
Range closes to 13,000 yards...
Range closes to 11,000 yards...
Range closes to 10,000 yards...
CONTACT: Japanese lookouts spot Allied task force at 6,000 yards
CONTACT: Allied lookouts spot Japanese task force at 6,000 yards
Range closes to 4,000 yards
CA Chikuma engages xAK Vitorlock at 4,000 yards
xAK Vitorlock sunk by CA Chikuma at 2,000 yards
Combat ends with last Allied ship sunk...

SS Truant Misses SS I-30 Near Cox's Bazar!

Sub vs Sub: SS Truant attacking SS I-30 at 53,44 - near Cox's Bazar

Japanese Ships
SS I-30

Allied Ships
SS Truant

SS Truant launches 6 torpedoes at 3,000 yards

Best Regards,

-Terry

Post #: 763
RE: THE WAR COLLEGE-Rio Bravo (A) v. El Lobo (J) - 3/13/2016 3:30:37 PM   
Rio Bravo

quote:

CaptHaggard-

I'm not sure it is more effective.

Best Regards,

-Terry

Post #: 764
RE: THE WAR COLLEGE-Rio Bravo (A) v. El Lobo (J) - 3/13/2016 8:12:05 PM   
CaptHaggard

quote:

quote:

CaptHaggard-

I'm not sure it is more effective.

Best Regards,

-Terry

Well, Admiral, here is my utter ignorance of the game system on display.

We know the wicked Evil One will not cackle with his glee on full parade until every last Chinese soldier has perished. We can't have that many P-66s on location. Rather than bleeding his Sallys, why not accompany them with Oscars? Surely he intends to inflict the same fate on our pilots.

Obviously I'm missing something.

Your fan, Hag

(in reply to Rio Bravo)
Post #: 765
RE: THE WAR COLLEGE-Rio Bravo (A) v. El Lobo (J) - 3/14/2016 6:11:51 AM   
Rio Bravo

Combat Report

for

August 11, 1942

Not exactly sure how El Lobo's submarines managed to sink two Allied transports at Bombay. He has had a very good month so far, sinking about 10 transports.

Other than that, one Japanese Ki-44-IIa Tojo is destroyed in exchange for two Allied P-66 Vanguards.

Japanese Submarine SS I-11 Sinks Allied xAK Barbara Olsen:

Submarine attack near Bombay at 33,24

Japanese Ships
SS I-11

Allied Ships
xAK Barbara Olson, Torpedo hits 1, heavy damage

xAK Barbara Olson is sighted by SS I-11
SS I-11 launches 2 torpedoes at xAK Barbara Olson

Japanese Submarine SS I-15 Sinks Allied xAK Katrina Luckenbach Near Bombay:

Submarine attack near Bombay at 32,24

Japanese Ships
SS I-15

Allied Ships
xAK Katrina Luckenbach, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage

xAK Katrina Luckenbach is sighted by SS I-15
SS I-15 launches 2 torpedoes at xAK Katrina Luckenbach

Best Regards,

-Terry

Post #: 766
RE: THE WAR COLLEGE-Rio Bravo (A) v. El Lobo (J) - 3/14/2016 6:13:43 AM   
Rio Bravo

CaptHaggard-

I am not sure what El Lobo's tactics are either. Perhaps he doesn't have any Oscars in the area or perhaps the fighters he has are escorting other bombing missions in China (I don't list all the air combat, only the air combat that looks somewhat interesting).

Best Regards,

-Terry

(in reply to Rio Bravo)
Post #: 767
RE: THE WAR COLLEGE-Rio Bravo (A) v. El Lobo (J) - 3/15/2016 5:18:37 AM   
Rio Bravo

Combat Report

for

August 12, 1942

For a few weeks now, I have been wondering why El Lobo has not advanced from Trimcomalee and Koggala on Ceylon. In an email received today, El Lobo advised that his invasion of Trincomalee cost him almost an entire division from Allied Coastal Gun Bombardments.

Chinese, Battered and Exhausted Hold Their Ground Near Chungking!

Ground combat at 75,46 (near Chungking)

Attacking force 9909 troops, 86 guns, 381 vehicles, Assault Value = 427

Defending force 20700 troops, 78 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 696

Japanese adjusted assault: 210

Allied adjusted defense: 718

Japanese assault odds: 1 to 3

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), experience(-), supply(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
697 casualties reported

Squads: 2 destroyed, 61 disabled
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 7 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 10 disabled
Vehicles lost 66 (2 destroyed, 64 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
1210 casualties reported

Squads: 7 destroyed, 170 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 7 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 8 disabled

Assaulting units:
57th Infantry Brigade
7th Tank Regiment
2nd Recon Battalion
2nd Mobile Infantry Regiment
10th Tank Regiment
2nd Mobile Engineer Regiment

Defending units:
35th Chinese Corps
58th Chinese Corps
31st Chinese Corps
41st Chinese Corps
84th Chinese Corps
Lusu War Area

56th Chinese Corps Continues to Be a Pain In The Ass to El Lobo Near Chungking!

Ground combat at 78,47 (near Chungking)

Attacking force 2253 troops, 12 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 103

Defending force 5811 troops, 58 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 223

Japanese adjusted assault: 93

Allied adjusted defense: 118

Japanese assault odds: 1 to 2

Combat modifiers
Attacker: leaders(+)

Japanese ground losses:
112 casualties reported

Squads: 1 destroyed, 19 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

Allied ground losses:
51 casualties reported

Squads: 0 destroyed, 6 disabled

Assaulting units:
11th RGC Temp. Division

Defending units:
56th Chinese Corps

End Note

Of course, El Lobo ordered his aircraft to bombard the Chinese in several locations; just as he has done since the first day of the war in China. Again today, the Japanese Aircraft bombardment did little damage and, a couple Sallys and Sonias were damaged.

Best Regards,

-Terry

(in reply to Rio Bravo)
Post #: 768
RE: THE WAR COLLEGE-Rio Bravo (A) v. El Lobo (J) - 3/16/2016 6:33:56 AM   
Rio Bravo

Combat Report

for

August 13, 1942

Other than the usual daily Japanese air bombardment of the brave Chinese with minimal Chinese losses and numerous Japanese aircraft damaged, the only significant event was El Lobo's unsuccessful attack at mid-Ceylon.

Allies Snub their Noses at Japanese Near Dambulla!

Ground combat at Dambulla (30,47)

Attacking force 3391 troops, 26 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 127

Defending force 3193 troops, 36 guns, 30 vehicles, Assault Value = 129

Japanese adjusted assault: 53

Allied adjusted defense: 103

Japanese assault odds: 1 to 2 (fort level 3)

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), preparation(-), experience(-)
Attacker: leaders(-)

Japanese ground losses:
154 casualties reported

Squads: 1 destroyed, 10 disabled

Allied ground losses:
40 casualties reported

Squads: 0 destroyed, 4 disabled

Assaulting units:
143rd Infantry Regiment

Defending units:
99th Indian Brigade
6/15th Punjab Battalion

Best Regards,

-Terry

(in reply to Rio Bravo)
Post #: 769
RE: THE WAR COLLEGE-Rio Bravo (A) v. El Lobo (J) - 3/17/2016 8:26:07 PM   
Rio Bravo

Combat Report

for

August 14, 1942

All of the action today was in the air. The complete Combat Report is as follows:

Morning Air attack on 99th Indian Brigade, at 30,47 (Dambulla)

Weather in hex: Clear sky

Raid spotted at 8 NM, estimated altitude 12,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 2 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 3
Ki-21-IIa Sally x 10

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-21-IIa Sally: 1 damaged

Aircraft Attacking:
10 x Ki-21-IIa Sally bombing from 10000 feet

Morning Air attack on 87th Chinese Corps, at 76,47 , near Chungking

Weather in hex: Partial cloud

Raid spotted at 16 NM, estimated altitude 12,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
Ki-21-IIa Sally x 21
Ki-44-IIa Tojo x 4

Allied aircraft
P-66 Vanguard x 2

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-21-IIa Sally: 2 destroyed, 4 damaged

No Allied losses

Allied ground losses:
6 casualties reported

Aircraft Attacking:
18 x Ki-21-IIa Sally bombing from 8000 feet *
Ground Attack: 2 x 250 kg GP Bomb

CAP engaged:
Raid is overhead

Also attacking 20th Chinese Corps ...
Also attacking 87th Chinese Corps ...

Morning Air attack on 24th Chinese Corps, at 70,45 , near Kunming

Weather in hex: Moderate rain

Raid spotted at 20 NM, estimated altitude 6,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 6 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-43-Ic Oscar x 24

No Japanese losses

Aircraft Attacking:
24 x Ki-43-Ic Oscar bombing from 100 feet

Also attacking 3rd Chinese Base Force ...
Also attacking 24th Chinese Corps ...

Morning Air attack on 73rd Chinese Corps, at 70,48 , near Kunming

Raid spotted at 9 NM, estimated altitude 3,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 2 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-45 KAIa Nick x 8

No Japanese losses

Allied ground losses:
9 casualties reported

Aircraft Attacking:
8 x Ki-45 KAIa Nick bombing from 100 feet

Best Regards,

Terry

(in reply to Rio Bravo)
Post #: 770
RE: THE WAR COLLEGE-Rio Bravo (A) v. El Lobo (J) - 3/17/2016 10:28:49 PM   
Rio Bravo

Strategic Map

as of August 15, 1942

I think there are just way to many red dots. Need to eliminate some of them!

Best Regards,

-Terry

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Rio Bravo)
Post #: 771
RE: THE WAR COLLEGE-Rio Bravo (A) v. El Lobo (J) - 3/18/2016 3:44:35 AM   
Rio Bravo

Combat Report

for

August 15, 1942

As is the case everyday, a few minor Japanese aircraft bombardments in China due minimal damage.

Two months until the Launch of Operation Land Shark.

The Fierce 56th Chinese Corps Stands Tall Near Chungking!

Ground combat at 78,47 (near Chungking)

Attacking force 8060 troops, 50 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 306

Defending force 5758 troops, 52 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 217

Japanese adjusted assault: 183

Allied adjusted defense: 112

Japanese assault odds: 1 to 1

Combat modifiers
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
215 casualties reported

Squads: 2 destroyed, 23 disabled

Allied ground losses:
185 casualties reported

Squads: 2 destroyed, 18 disabled

Assaulting units:
12th Ind.Mixed Brigade
11th RGC Temp. Division

Defending units:
56th Chinese Corps

Best Regards,

-Terry

(in reply to Rio Bravo)
Post #: 772
RE: THE WAR COLLEGE-Rio Bravo (A) v. El Lobo (J) - 3/19/2016 8:00:29 PM   
Rio Bravo

Combat Report

for

August 16, 1942

Japanese Submarine Strikes Near Perth:

Submarine attack near Perth at 48,147

Japanese Ships
SS RO-34

Allied Ships
xAK Itola, Shell hits 2, Torpedo hits 2, heavy damage

xAK Itola is sighted by SS RO-34
SS RO-34 attacking on the surface

Japanese Stopped Dead in Their Tracks at Dambulla!

Attacking force 7023 troops, 52 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 254

Defending force 3181 troops, 36 guns, 30 vehicles, Assault Value = 125

Japanese adjusted assault: 207

Allied adjusted defense: 169

Japanese assault odds: 1 to 1 (fort level 3)

Japanese Assault reduces fortifications to 2

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), forts(+), preparation(-), morale(-)
experience(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
352 casualties reported

Squads: 1 destroyed, 38 disabled

Allied ground losses:
77 casualties reported

Squads: 0 destroyed, 18 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 4 disabled

Assaulting units:
143rd Infantry Regiment
41st Infantry Regiment

Defending units:
99th Indian Brigade
6/15th Punjab Battalion

*Singing Out* Goodbye Sally!

Morning Air attack on 87th Chinese Corps, at 76,47 , near Chungking

Raid spotted at 18 NM, estimated altitude 11,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 5 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-21-IIa Sally x 14
Ki-44-IIa Tojo x 4

Allied aircraft
P-66 Vanguard x 1

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-21-IIa Sally: 1 destroyed, 1 damaged

No Allied losses

Aircraft Attacking:
13 x Ki-21-IIa Sally bombing from 8000 feet *

CAP engaged:
5th FG/17th FS CAF with P-66 Vanguard (1 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
(1 plane(s) diverted to support CAP in hex.)
1 plane(s) intercepting now.
Raid is overhead

Also attacking 20th Chinese Corps ...

Best Regards,

-Terry

(in reply to Rio Bravo)
Post #: 773
RE: THE WAR COLLEGE-Rio Bravo (A) v. El Lobo (J) - 3/20/2016 4:05:54 AM   
Anachro

I am amazed at that Strategic map...he really didn't push into the SoPac at all, did he? And yet he goes for Ceylon? It will be interesting to see if he is a harder nut to crack come 1944 because of this or if it allows you a much better position for your inevitable push.

(in reply to Rio Bravo)
Post #: 774
RE: THE WAR COLLEGE-Rio Bravo (A) v. El Lobo (J) - 3/20/2016 5:39:48 AM   
Rio Bravo

Combat Report

for

August 17, 1942

Intelligence advises the 2/124th Japanese Infantry Regiment is bound for Marcus Island. I didn't think El Lobo would stand for the Allies to be on Marcus for too long.

The only combat today was in the air. Only Japanese aircraft losses. Captain Liu gets his 6th and 7th kills. No Allied aircraft lost nor damaged, and no ground force casualties.

Morning Air attack on 99th Indian Brigade, at 30,47 (Dambulla)

Weather in hex:Thunderstorms

Raid spotted at 17 NM, estimated altitude 13,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
Ki-21-IIa Sally x 11

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-21-IIa Sally: 1 damaged

Aircraft Attacking:
11 x Ki-21-IIa Sally bombing from 10000 feet

Morning Air attack on 2nd Prov Chinese Corps, at 76,47 , near Chungking

Weather in hex: Light cloud

Raid spotted at 15 NM, estimated altitude 11,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
Ki-21-IIa Sally x 11

Allied aircraft
P-66 Vanguard x 2

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-21-IIa Sally: 1 destroyed, 1 damaged

No Allied losses

Aircraft Attacking:
9 x Ki-21-IIa Sally bombing from 8000 feet *

CAP engaged:
Raid is overhead

Also attacking 2nd Prov Chinese Corps ...

Morning Air attack on 73rd Chinese Corps, at 70,48 , near Kunming

Weather in hex: Heavy cloud

Raid spotted at 20 NM, estimated altitude 4,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
Ki-45 KAIa Nick x 8

No Japanese losses

Aircraft Attacking:
8 x Ki-45 KAIa Nick bombing from 100 feet

Afternoon Air attack on 2nd Chinese Corps, at 80,40 , near Kienko

Weather in hex: Heavy rain

Raid spotted at 19 NM, estimated altitude 12,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 6 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-51 Sonia x 6

No Japanese losses

Aircraft Attacking:
6 x Ki-51 Sonia bombing from 10000 feet
Ground Attack: 4 x 50 kg GP Bomb

Afternoon Air attack on 24th Chinese Corps, at 70,45 , near Kunming

Weather in hex: Heavy rain

Raid spotted at 14 NM, estimated altitude 3,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
Ki-43-Ic Oscar x 21

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-43-Ic Oscar: 1 damaged

Aircraft Attacking:
21 x Ki-43-Ic Oscar bombing from 100 feet

Best Regards,

-Terry

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 775
RE: THE WAR COLLEGE-Rio Bravo (A) v. El Lobo (J) - 3/20/2016 5:47:18 AM   
Rio Bravo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Anachro

I am amazed at that Strategic map...he really didn't push into the SoPac at all, did he? And yet he goes for Ceylon? It will be interesting to see if he is a harder nut to crack come 1944 because of this or if it allows you a much better position for your inevitable push.

Anachro-

Welcome to The War College.

I am as surprised as you that so far El Lobo has not invaded the SoPac nor New Guinea.

Knowing El Lobo, I suspect that he is now using every available resource to set up an intricate, interconnected network of buzz saws to shred the Allies when they push North.

I never thought El Lobo would expand too far. Always believed that he would conserve resources and set up a strong consolidated defense versus a major expansion with scattered, weaker defenses.

Having said that, El Lobo can be unpredictable!

Best Regards,

-Terry

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 776
RE: THE WAR COLLEGE-Rio Bravo (A) v. El Lobo (J) - 3/21/2016 4:39:16 PM   
Rio Bravo

Combat Report

for

August 18, 1942

El Lobo conducted a night naval bombardment of Marcus Island.

The Allies lost a P-66 in China today.

Japanese Carriers are in the vicinity of Agrihan.

Elements of the 5th Marine Defense Battalion Take Some Heat:

Night Naval bombardment of Marcus Island at 123,85 - Coastal Guns Fire Back!

8 Coastal gun shots fired in defense.

Japanese Ships
CA Aoba
CL Kitakami

Allied ground losses:
18 casualties reported

Squads: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled

Runway hits 1

CA Aoba firing at 5th Marine Defense Battalion
5th Marine Defense Battalion firing at CA Aoba
CL Kitakami firing at Marcus Island

P-66 Goes Down Near Chungking:

Morning Air attack on 1st Group Army, at 75,47 , near Chungking

Weather in hex: Overcast

Raid spotted at 18 NM, estimated altitude 15,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
Ki-44-IIa Tojo x 15

Allied aircraft
P-66 Vanguard x 3

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
P-66 Vanguard: 1 destroyed

Aircraft Attacking:
13 x Ki-44-IIa Tojo sweeping at 15000 feet

CAP engaged:
5th FG/17th FS CAF with P-66 Vanguard (0 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
(3 plane(s) diverted to support CAP in hex.)
0 plane(s) not yet engaged, 3 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 1 minutes

Japanese Carriers Sighted:

Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Agrihan at 116,87

Weather in hex: Moderate rain

Raid spotted at 20 NM, estimated altitude 12,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 12 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 16

Allied aircraft
PBY-5A Catalina x 5

No Japanese losses

No Allied losses

CAP engaged:
Ryujo-1 with A6M2 Zero (5 airborne, 5 on standby, 0 scrambling)
5 plane(s) intercepting now.
Group patrol altitude is 10000
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 12 minutes
Zuiho-1 with A6M2 Zero (3 airborne, 3 on standby, 0 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 10000
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 5 minutes
13th Ku S-1 with A6M2 Zero (3 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
Raid is overhead
Unyo-1 with A6M2 Zero (2 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
Raid is overhead

Training flight from Ryujo-1 has been caught up in attack
Training flight from Zuiho-1 has been caught up in attack

Best Regards,

-Terry

(in reply to Rio Bravo)
Post #: 777
RE: THE WAR COLLEGE-Rio Bravo (A) v. El Lobo (J) - 3/22/2016 10:51:52 AM   
Rio Bravo

Combat Report

for

August 19, 1942

Japanese attack Marcus Island and Capture Dambulla, Ceylon!

Japanese Advance on Ceylon:

Attacking force 18201 troops, 176 guns, 48 vehicles, Assault Value = 632

Defending force 4030 troops, 44 guns, 31 vehicles, Assault Value = 153

Japanese engineers reduce fortifications to 1

Japanese adjusted assault: 568

Allied adjusted defense: 71

Japanese assault odds: 8 to 1 (fort level 1)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Dambulla !!!

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), forts(+), leaders(-), preparation(-)
fatigue(-), morale(-), experience(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
414 casualties reported

Squads: 0 destroyed, 31 disabled

Allied ground losses:
1521 casualties reported

Squads: 42 destroyed, 42 disabled
Non Combat: 44 destroyed, 14 disabled
Engineers: 36 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 20 (16 destroyed, 4 disabled)
Vehicles lost 13 (12 destroyed, 1 disabled)
Units retreated 3

Assaulting units:
143rd Infantry Regiment
38th Division
41st Infantry Regiment

Defending units:
99th Indian Brigade
6/16th Punjab Battalion
6/15th Punjab Battalion

All Action in the Vicinity of Marcus Island!

Sub attack near Marcus Island at 122,85

Japanese Ships
xAK Chihaya Maru, Shell hits 10, heavy fires

Allied Ships
SS Perch

SS Perch attacking on the surface
SS Perch low on gun ammo, Hurt, D.A. breaks off surface engagement and submerges

Night Naval bombardment of Marcus Island at 123,85

Japanese Ships
BB Mutsu

Allied ground losses:
83 casualties reported

Non Combat: 4 destroyed, 8 disabled
Vehicles lost 1 (1 destroyed, 0 disabled)

Airbase hits 1
Airbase supply hits 4
Runway hits 3
Port hits 4

BB Mutsu firing at Marcus Island

Morning Air attack on 5th Marine Defense Battalion, at 123,85 (Marcus Island)

Weather in hex: Heavy cloud

Raid detected at 90 NM, estimated altitude 11,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 33 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 9
D3A1 Val x 12

Japanese aircraft losses
D3A1 Val: 7 damaged
D3A1 Val: 1 destroyed by flak

Aircraft Attacking:
1 x D3A1 Val releasing from 3000' *
Ground Attack: 2 x 60 kg GP Bomb
11 x D3A1 Val releasing from 2000' *
Ground Attack: 2 x 60 kg GP Bomb

Morning Air attack on TF, near Marcus Island at 122,85

Weather in hex: Partial cloud

Raid spotted at 10 NM, estimated altitude 11,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 9

Allied aircraft
PBY-5A Catalina x 3

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
PBY-5A Catalina: 1 destroyed

CAP engaged:
Ryujo-1/C with A6M2 Zero (9 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
(9 plane(s) diverted to support CAP in hex.)
9 plane(s) intercepting now.
Raid is overhead

Naval bombardment of Marcus Island at 123,85 - Coastal Guns Fire Back!

8 Coastal gun shots fired in defense.

Japanese Ships
BB Yamashiro, Shell hits 2

Allied ground losses:
244 casualties reported

Squads: 1 destroyed, 8 disabled
Non Combat: 5 destroyed, 14 disabled

BB Yamashiro firing at 5th Marine Defense Battalion
5th Marine Defense Battalion firing at BB Yamashiro

Best Regards,

-Terry

(in reply to Rio Bravo)
Post #: 778
RE: THE WAR COLLEGE-Rio Bravo (A) v. El Lobo (J) - 3/22/2016 2:57:52 PM   
witpqs

Well you still have Marcus!

(in reply to Rio Bravo)
Post #: 779
RE: THE WAR COLLEGE-Rio Bravo (A) v. El Lobo (J) - 3/23/2016 4:55:40 AM   
Rio Bravo

Combat Report

for

August 20, 1942

The battle for Marcus Island enters its second day with the Allies making El Lobo pay to take the island back.

Japanese Invade Marcus Island!

Pre-Invasion action off Marcus Island (123,85) - Coastal Guns Fire Back!

61 Coastal gun shots fired in defense.

Japanese Ships
CL Oi
PB Nishimi Maru
PB Takunan Maru #2
PB Shoei Maru
xAP Ukishima Maru

Japanese ground losses:
176 casualties reported

Squads: 0 destroyed, 16 disabled

CL Oi firing at 5th Marine Defense Battalion
5th Marine Defense Battalion firing at CL Oi
PB Nishimi Maru fired at enemy troops
PB Takunan Maru #2 fired at enemy guns
PB Shoei Maru fired at enemy guns
Defensive Guns fire at approaching troops in landing craft at 4,000 yards
Defensive Guns fire at approaching troops in landing craft at 1,000 yards

Japanese Amphibious Assault at Marcus Island!

Amphibious Assault at Marcus Island (123,85)

TF 470 troops unloading over beach at Marcus Island, 123,85

Japanese ground losses:
481 casualties reported

Squads: 2 destroyed, 52 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 12 disabled

19 troops of a IJA Infantry Squad lost overboard during unload of 124th Infantry Rgt /2
19 troops of a IJA Infantry Squad lost in surf during unload of 124th Infantry Rgt /7

Japanese Launch a Second Invasion of Marcus Island!

Pre-Invasion action off Marcus Island (123,85) - Coastal Guns Fire Back!

51 Coastal gun shots fired in defense.

Japanese Ships
CL Tenryu
DD Umikaze
xAK Zinzan Maru

Japanese ground losses:
59 casualties reported

Squads: 0 destroyed, 5 disabled

CL Tenryu firing at 5th Marine Defense Battalion
5th Marine Defense Battalion firing at CL Tenryu
DD Umikaze firing at 5th Marine Defense Battalion
5th Marine Defense Battalion firing at DD Umikaze
DD Umikaze fired at enemy troops
Defensive Guns fire at approaching troops in landing craft at 4,000 yards

Japanese Second Wave Amphibious Assault at Marcus Island!

Amphibious Assault at Marcus Island (123,85)

TF 484 troops unloading over beach at Marcus Island, 123,85

Japanese ground losses:
396 casualties reported

Squads: 1 destroyed, 51 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 23 disabled
Guns lost 1 (0 destroyed, 1 disabled)

17 troops of a IJA Infantry Squad lost in surf during unload of 58th Infantry Bde

Japanese Invasion of Marcus Island Continues!

Invasion Support action off Marcus Island (123,85)

24 Coastal gun shots fired in defense.

Japanese Ships
CL Oi
PB Nishimi Maru
PB Takunan Maru #2
PB Shoei Maru
xAP Ukishima Maru

Japanese ground losses:
6 casualties reported

CL Oi firing at 177th USAAF Base Force
PB Nishimi Maru fired at enemy troops
PB Shoei Maru fired at enemy guns

And Again

Invasion Support action off Marcus Island (123,85) - Coastal Guns Fire Back!

25 Coastal gun shots fired in defense.

Japanese Ships
CL Tenryu
xAK Zinzan Maru
DD Umikaze

Japanese ground losses:
68 casualties reported

Squads: 1 destroyed, 4 disabled

5th Marine Defense Battalion firing at CL Tenryu

And Once Again

61 Coastal gun shots fired in defense.

Japanese Ships
PB Nishimi Maru
PB Takunan Maru #2
PB Shoei Maru
CL Oi
xAP Ukishima Maru

Japanese ground losses:
50 casualties reported

Squads: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled

PB Nishimi Maru fired at enemy guns
PB Shoei Maru fired at enemy troops
Defensive Guns fire at approaching troops in landing craft at 5,000 yards
Defensive Guns fire at approaching troops in landing craft at 2,000 yards

And One Last Time Heavily Damaging a Japanese Transport

15 Coastal gun shots fired in defense.

Japanese Ships
xAK Nitiren Maru
xAK Tamaki Maru, Shell hits 3, on fire, heavy damage
xAK Zinzan Maru
DD Umikaze

Japanese ground losses:
17 casualties reported

155mm M1A1 GPF Battery engaging xAK Tamaki Maru at 10,000 yards
Defensive Guns fire at approaching troops in landing craft at 2,000 yards

5th Marine Defense Battalion Bombards Japanese at Marcus Island!

Ground combat at Marcus Island (123,85)

Allied Bombardment attack

Attacking force 989 troops, 45 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 37

Defending force 4723 troops, 20 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 116

Allied ground losses:
3 casualties reported

Assaulting units:
5th Marine Defense Battalion
177th USAAF Base Force

Defending units:
124th Infantry Rgt /1
58th Infantry Bde /2

5th Marine Defense Battalion Shouts Out "Ooorah!" on Marcus Island!

Ground combat at Marcus Island (123,85)

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 4723 troops, 20 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 116

Defending force 2597 troops, 57 guns, 41 vehicles, Assault Value = 36

Japanese adjusted assault: 3

Allied adjusted defense: 9

Japanese assault odds: 1 to 3 (fort level 2)

Combat modifiers
Defender: disruption(-), preparation(-), experience(-)
Attacker: shock(+), disruption(-)

Japanese ground losses:
1797 casualties reported

Squads: 115 destroyed, 4 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 17 disabled
Guns lost 2 (1 destroyed, 1 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
136 casualties reported

Squads: 0 destroyed, 11 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 8 disabled

Assaulting units:
124th Infantry Rgt /1
58th Infantry Bde /2

Defending units:
5th Marine Defense Battalion
177th USAAF Base Force

Best Regards,

-Terry

< Message edited by Rio Bravo -- 3/23/2016 5:17:58 AM >

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 780
Page:   <<   < prev  24 25 [26] 27 28   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: THE WAR COLLEGE-Rio Bravo (A) v. El Lobo (J) Page: <<   < prev  24 25 [26] 27 28   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI