Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

strange problem not fixed by re-install

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Gary Grigsby's War Between the States >> Tech Support >> strange problem not fixed by re-install Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
strange problem not fixed by re-install - 5/1/2015 12:33:41 PM   
sushidog

On a PBEM file, suddenly something went wrong with how the game displays units. If I click on a region, it shows all units in the region, but no stats or names for the leaders, and all inf and cav appear unassigned rather than with the different leaders.

I've reinstalled WBTS twice and the PBEM file still gives me this strange display. Luckily I also have WBTS installed on a laptop, and the same file works just fine from there (so I'm able to continue the game). But what I can't figure out, is why it works on the laptop and not on a freshly install on the desktop (where it always worked before).

Any ideas?

(Hoping for better luck than when I posted my previous tech question in 2014.)

Grant
Post #: 1
RE: strange problem not fixed by re-install - 5/1/2015 12:46:29 PM   
zakblood

seems or sounds like a display issue, but didn't think PBEM saves that sort of data either, so other than setup the desktop to have the same size screen as the laptop etc, have no idea and is just a guess

but, what operating systems do both use may give a better idea?

or answer...

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1837665

asking him ^^ will get a better and more correct reply, good luck

< Message edited by zakblood -- 5/1/2015 1:48:26 PM >

(in reply to sushidog)
Post #: 2
RE: strange problem not fixed by re-install - 5/1/2015 1:00:32 PM   
sushidog

The OS is Win7. HAve had it installed on that desktop for years and played many games with it.

I think you're on the right track with thinking it's a display problem, but I have now updated my display drivers as well.

I was thinking maybe there was something corrupt in the pbem save file, but still not sure why it works on the lapper and not the desktop. I'm going to create a non-pbem game on the laptop, save it, and then move the file over to the desktop and see if it works. Maybe it will turn out it's something particular to that one pbem file.

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 3
RE: strange problem not fixed by re-install - 5/1/2015 1:27:09 PM   
zakblood

can't see it being the file tbh, or it wouldn't work at all on either system, so it must be one of the pc's has a different setup enough to throw the game / pbem file off, but what is any ones guess tbh...

so lets do the basics,

both installed on windows 7 pc's, same 32/64 bit system? not that it should matter either, just asking...?

enough ram and cpu for both pc's, enough vga memory for both?

same drivers for both, eg updated, then finally same version of the game, eg same drive, same place eg default and also same version with patches etc?

(in reply to sushidog)
Post #: 4
RE: strange problem not fixed by re-install - 5/1/2015 1:40:46 PM   
sushidog

The Desktop is win7 and the laptop is win8. But pbem files were usable on both machines for ages before this happened.

Enough specs on both machines. As I mentioned earlier, the desktop has been running this game for years.

Not sure if the game is in the same place on both machines (I think so), but again, it worked for ages, so I'm not sure what went sideways.

The only thing I can think of is that I occasionally update drivers and do the windows updates weekly. Maybe one of those things knocked things about. I'm at work at the moment with no access to the desktop. When I get home I'll try moving a new file from the laptop to the desktop and see if the desktop will display it properly. Then I'll know if it's just this paricular pbem file or something worse.

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 5
RE: strange problem not fixed by re-install - 5/1/2015 1:43:17 PM   
zakblood

good luck, on hols in a few hours so will be back in a week or 2 then will reply if your still having a issue and can try something else etc...

(in reply to sushidog)
Post #: 6
RE: strange problem not fixed by re-install - 5/1/2015 1:47:44 PM   
sushidog

The installer I used to install on the laptop gave me version 1.040. Will check on which version I have on the desktop when I get home. I'm assuming it's the same but you never know. I don't see any patches on the Matrix site to get to a higher version.

(in reply to sushidog)
Post #: 7
RE: strange problem not fixed by re-install - 5/5/2015 12:15:02 PM   
sushidog

Bah, figured it out. All my fault. The installer I had for the desktop was 1.03. Not sure why the game quit working in the first place that led to the re-install, but the re-installed version was one release behind. No wonder it wouldn't load the game file at that point.

(in reply to sushidog)
Post #: 8
RE: strange problem not fixed by re-install - 5/5/2015 10:12:07 PM   
JD Walter

Sushi, it sounds to me like your "cwpref.dat" or "wawgame.dat" got corrupted. (Or went missing.)

These two files impact how things are displayed, and iirc, they are set individually by each player, so they may not be transferred between players in the pbem file when turns are exchanged.

The files are contained in C:/Matrix Games/Gary Grigsby's War Between the States/dat.

If they aren't there, re-create them by resetting both your Game and your User preferences in the starting menu.

I think the particular options you want are "Show Unit Info" & "Show Unit Types & Leader Info" (3.3.5.2).

(in reply to sushidog)
Post #: 9
RE: strange problem not fixed by re-install - 5/5/2015 11:11:49 PM   
sushidog

Thanks for the info for the future, Def.

(in reply to JD Walter)
Post #: 10
RE: strange problem not fixed by re-install - 5/6/2015 5:42:12 AM   
zakblood

glad you have it sorted, it will now help others in the future with any errors the same etc, so thanks all

(in reply to sushidog)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Gary Grigsby's War Between the States >> Tech Support >> strange problem not fixed by re-install Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI