Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Combined Arms???????

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [In Development] >> Combined Arms: World War II (formerly Battlefields!) >> RE: Combined Arms??????? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Combined Arms??????? - 8/28/2015 12:13:33 AM   
geozero

quote:

ORIGINAL: jmlima

quote:

ORIGINAL: geozero

That's not a deal breaker for me. A game that I can make my own scenarios at 1km per hex scale (like the old V For Victory Games), and the many other features that CA was to have may be incorporated into T4 and if they are with an updated code and engine, then that could be the definitive game for the next 10-15 years.

TOAW is not really like the V4V games. To start with , the supply system is vastely different. The game is really operational in scale, anything below regiments and 5km/hex (app the scale it was designed for) just does not work 'right'.

besides, no wego (again, operational, where wego is much less of a concern)

Trust me... I know the differences between CA and TOAW... I was a CA scenario designer and tester, and the game was awesome at least back in early 2000's. Now 15 years later and several O/S systems later, it is dated, graphics outdated and probably hasn't aged well, I don't know it's locked or deleted in one of my old, old PC's. We grow old, we move on. TOAW 4 no matter it's depth or system offers the only unique and modern system alternative to creating war games. Since CA's lapse into comatose state there has been a deluge of other tactical war games, interestingly enough using some of the very unique scenarios which I helped create. Anyway, I don't get much game time anymore as I'd rather be making films and touring live again with my band.

JUST SAY NO... To Hideous Graphics.

(in reply to jmlima)
Post #: 31
RE: Combined Arms??????? - 11/7/2015 8:42:49 PM   
jmlima

It seems that there are now less than 10 games in the queue ahead of this one!

So, fingers crossed, by 2030 we should hear rumors of a playable beta!

Just remember, keep your old computers in environmentally controlled storage so that you can play this classic!

(in reply to geozero)
Post #: 32
RE: Combined Arms??????? - 11/7/2015 11:51:23 PM   
Deathtreader

So we're at war with the Russkies eh?? I suppose we really ought to invade or something. (Lonnnng pause while studying the map)
Hmmmm... big place ain't it??
- Sir Harry Flashman (1854)

(in reply to jmlima)
Post #: 33
RE: Combined Arms??????? - 11/10/2015 9:38:29 PM   
Zap

quote:

ORIGINAL: jmlima

It seems that there are now less than 10 games in the queue ahead of this one!

So, fingers crossed, by 2030 we should hear rumors of a playable beta!

Just remember, keep your old computers in environmentally controlled storage so that you can play this classic!

63 now 78 then! senile, alive?

(in reply to jmlima)
Post #: 34
RE: Combined Arms??????? - 12/7/2015 12:47:50 PM   
Ludovic Coval

Gents,

CA Event Editor :

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jmlima)
Post #: 35
RE: Combined Arms??????? - 12/7/2015 12:49:26 PM   
Ludovic Coval

Assault Artillery Mission (On call and counter battery use another screen)

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Ludovic Coval)
Post #: 36
RE: Combined Arms??????? - 12/7/2015 12:52:04 PM   
Ludovic Coval

Former post missing embeded screen

Attachment (1)

Post #: 37
RE: Combined Arms??????? - 12/7/2015 12:53:38 PM   
Ludovic Coval

Unit Options screen which allow designers to quickly cut/paste units as well changing some unit's properties.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 38
RE: Combined Arms??????? - 12/7/2015 12:56:46 PM   
Ludovic Coval

Attachment (1)

Post #: 39
RE: Combined Arms??????? - 12/7/2015 1:07:52 PM   
Ludovic Coval

I've made several others screenshots, unfortunately their sizes is above the 250kb limit. Will post them if I can find a workaround.

Most of Editor is now completed. Game is done at 50%. Since both now reside in same executable and use BGS interface/data structures, a lot of work had to be done in order to update previous CA code. Some game mechanisms have been changed, dropped or added. New interface allowed for more informations to be displayed, which in turn called for more code to be written/debug. It is especially true for Assault/Strike planning.

Post #: 40
RE: Combined Arms??????? - 12/7/2015 1:11:59 PM   
Ludovic Coval

Scenario Parameters

Attachment (1)

Post #: 41
RE: Combined Arms??????? - 12/8/2015 9:48:19 PM   
Deathtreader

Hi,

Looks great!

Please keep us posted !

Thanks,

Rob.

So we're at war with the Russkies eh?? I suppose we really ought to invade or something. (Lonnnng pause while studying the map)
Hmmmm... big place ain't it??
- Sir Harry Flashman (1854)

Post #: 42
RE: Combined Arms??????? - 12/9/2015 1:28:13 AM   
budd

Wow....you mean this game is getting up off the mat.Gonna miss the tumbleweed.

Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

(in reply to Deathtreader)
Post #: 43
RE: Combined Arms??????? - 12/9/2015 12:40:57 PM   
jmlima

quote:

ORIGINAL: **budd**

...Gonna miss the tumbleweed.

wellllll... think we're still far away from letting the tumbleweed go...

(in reply to budd)
Post #: 44
RE: Combined Arms??????? - 12/15/2015 4:02:32 PM   
Zap

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ludovic Coval

Okay, hate to be the one with the first negative observation. But you need to get rid of that background color or find another color for the lettering. I'm mean its just difficult to read without a pleasant color contrast.

Good luck!

Post #: 45
RE: Combined Arms??????? - 12/23/2015 5:04:49 AM   
Ludovic Coval

Background color is actually a 100x100 pixel image which can be changed by players. Here is the same screen using the CA dark brown image :

Image used in other screenshots is an alpha one, that is used during development. Its purpose being to help detect graphic problem(s) with camouflaged image.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Ludovic Coval -- 12/23/2015 6:09:45 AM >

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 46
RE: Combined Arms??????? - 12/23/2015 5:34:14 AM   
76mm

Can I ask why you're showing these screenshots? Is anything substantial evidence happening, or are these just mock ups for a vapor-ware game?

Post #: 47
RE: Combined Arms??????? - 12/23/2015 7:25:11 AM   
Ludovic Coval

CA is now under major upgrading, using BGS material especially the user interface. The recent screenshots show how CA looks like and for some functions, behave diffently than older version.

As an example the Unit Option screen shown here did not exited in previous version which used a cumbersome set of buttons of Unit Editor with less options to be worked with.

About development time I'm well aware of the issue as I work on the upgrade since April 2015. Processing screens is not simply a matter of changing some line codes, it is often rethinking how some screens actually work. For now more than, 60 screens have been redone, and this take time :)

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 48
RE: Combined Arms??????? - 12/23/2015 5:59:39 PM   
kipanderson

Hi,

Apologies for only having flash read the above posts…
Desert War 1940 – 1943, by another developer, is the one you are after. In the sense that it is the WEGO version of PzC/SPI operational games of old. Still in development, but late development. Engine will be universally used the way a WEGO PzC would have been or this game would have been if successfully developed some years back.
Free as well.

All the best,
Kip.

(in reply to jmlima)
Post #: 49
RE: Combined Arms??????? - 12/23/2015 6:04:12 PM   
kipanderson

Hi,

Just saw the above posts by Ludovic Coval,
Looks great.. happy to support CA as well if it happens.. do not mean to be rude about CA.
But like many have given up hope of it happening… if it does.. can never be to too many quality, operational wargames. Happy to buy it.
Good luck,
All the best,
Kip.

(in reply to kipanderson)
Post #: 50
RE: Combined Arms??????? - 7/5/2016 3:44:32 PM   
Capt Cliff

Hello ...(echos) ... anybody here ... (more echos) ... (wind sounds and a tumbleweed rolls by) ...

This game is such a winner why is it stalled!

Capt. Cliff

(in reply to jmlima)
Post #: 51
RE: Combined Arms??????? - 7/5/2016 4:16:30 PM   
jmlima

This is the voice of Christmas past, the Grinch stole the game. But left Christmas, so good the game was.

(in reply to Capt Cliff)
Post #: 52
RE: Combined Arms??????? - 8/17/2016 11:53:14 PM   
norvandave

A haiku...

Combined Arms lofty goal,
To fight WEGO - but no launch,
Wind blows tumbleweeds.

First there is a mountain, then there is no mountain, then there is.

(in reply to jmlima)
Post #: 53
RE: Combined Arms??????? - 8/18/2016 1:01:02 PM   
Ludovic Coval

Gents,

Sorry for the lack of communication in last months, but I've been quite busy especially with Logistic new design.

"Logistic in CA aim to portray the unseen part of WWII operations dealing with units ability to sustain combat for long period of time including replacement and attrition.

Rear area are modeled through 3 abstracted levels called 'Links' :

General Link : This is how Depot/Dump connect with the 'world' that is off map.
Operationnal Link : This how supply flow is controlled by HQ.
Tactical Link : This are flow between HQ and combat units.

Although HQ, Depot and Dump use actual units, they actually represent the 'cloud' of service units present behind lines like repair shops, field hospitals, Corps and Divisional supply depots etc...

Bands : Bands are used to model the loss of effectiveness of supply network. There are 4 of them : Close, Normal, Extend, Out of Range with the first 3 bands shown on map as colored hexside frame.

Each HQ, Depot and Dump use their own set of Bands as defined per scenario designers.

Supply, Fuel and Replacement are defined before Orders execution and resolved (Unit receiving them) after Orders execution is completed.

Strategic Link :

All Depot/Dump attempt to connect to a friendly border hex, a beach or port hex.

Each Depot/Dump has a storing capacity, a maximum storage capacity and a resupply rate. If a Depot/Dump establish successfully a General Link it raise its storing capacity by a value equal to its resupply rate.

Supply Head have only a storing capacity, they are resupplied automatically if weather allow.

Bands are not used for Strategic Link.

Operational Link :

Each HQ will attempt to connect to a Depot and a Dump. This will yeld an Operational Link supply quality which will limit the maximum quantity of supply to be received by combat units.

Link quality may be one of the four following quality :

Normal : Quantity of Supply/Fuel/Replacement is not modified
Limited : 66% of quantity will be made available.
Restricted : 33% of quantity will be made available.
None : Quantity is set to zero (0).

Replacement use the supply link, that is link to a Depot.

Tactical Link :

Tactical Link is modeled by Supply Path (Convoys). Convoys are not actual transports with a given position but rather a supply path set for several turns with transport moving along it. Specific transport position/load is not used, only existance of the Supply Path. Convoys are set like units path, using one of the 3 transport mean as set by designer. Transport capacity used for Convoys are not available for unit transportation. Should an unit to execute a load order while order transport is unvailable will see its order delayed by 1 minute until turn end of release of transport by other units.

Each unit will sent a supply query to its attached HQ. The connection is made if :

Unit is within at least HQ Extend band.
A convoy can be sent from HQ to Unit.

If a unit fail to connect to an HQ it may attempt to link itself to a Depot/Dump/SH with a maximum distance of 3 hexes.

Effective supply/fuel/replacement are received after Orders execution phase.

Bands will reduce amount of supply/fuel/replacement sent to unit. This is also capped for HQ Operationnal Link.

Convoy cannot trace their path through enemy controlled hexes. Would an Convoy hex to be controlled by enemy units, a new Supply Path is searched for.

In order to receive Supply/Fuel an unit must :

Not have any movement/combat order/load or unload transport order to execute or executing a retreat

Have a valid Supply Path.

In order to receive Replacement an Unit must fufill conditions to receive Supply/Fuel and not have been engaged in any of those activity during turn.

An Unit unable to establish a Tactical Link is set as Isolated and may suffer from Attrition/Surrender. Surrender also include unit disintegrating as functionnal combat unit.

Once set as Isolated, an unit will not suffer adverse effects for the first 3 turns. For example an unit Isolated on turn 2 will be safe until turn 5 after which Unit may suffer losses plus a surrender check.

Game will use an Attrition Percentage based on number of turns of isolation : each turn increase chance of attrition by 3% per turn.

This base chance is then multiplied by Terrain Attrition Modifier. Most of time this modifier is equal to 1 but some terrain may raise the modifier up to 10.

A D100 is rolled against Attrition Percentage, if lower Unit suffer a 3% TOE loss.

Automatic surrender is checked and happen when TOE is inferior to (10 – Unit TQ). For example an Unit with a TQ of 4 will automatically surrender if its TOE fall below 6.

Surrender is then checked as following :

Base surrender percentage (BSP) is equal to Unit TQ * 5. (Para and Fanatic use TQ * 8).

TOE is added to the BSP and a D100 is rolled. If higher than modified percentage then unit surrender.

Japanese units are immunised to surrender but do suffer from attrition."

(in reply to norvandave)
Post #: 54
RE: Combined Arms??????? - 8/18/2016 1:12:10 PM   
Ludovic Coval

Please note that above rules while implemented safe for Replacement may be altered in future but basic switch from Convoys as used in previous version to 'Supply path' model will not change. There was a lot of reasons for the change one of them being to reduce time needed to check about logistic. Player now set allocations and code will handle them provided that 'Supply path' exist. This how both models differs : previous checked for existance of a path, newer check about non existance. Here is a screenshot for Transportation balance between units and logistic :

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Ludovic Coval -- 8/18/2016 1:51:59 PM >

Post #: 55
RE: Combined Arms??????? - 8/18/2016 1:24:29 PM   
Ludovic Coval

Here is a very small part of the Distribution screen. (Due to file size limits I cannot post a full screenshot)

Attachment (1)

Post #: 56
RE: Combined Arms??????? - 8/18/2016 1:37:07 PM   
Ludovic Coval

Here how player can alter supply (fuel and replacement use their own identical controls)

Attachment (1)

Post #: 57
RE: Combined Arms??????? - 8/18/2016 1:41:33 PM   
Ludovic Coval

Distribution imply to select a given HQ (post #55 image), select a Depot and a Dump (not shown) then select link quality (post #56 above). Units will send their queries to HQ that will use both Player issued parameter but also distance between Units/HQ/Depot/Dump/Air or Sea Supply Head to yeld actual amount of supply/fuel/replacement needed.

Post #: 58
RE: Combined Arms??????? - 8/18/2016 1:42:47 PM   
zakblood

for me the background distracts from the info shown, and looks better imo when the darker ones was used, but it's good you have a choice to alter it to how you like it, then it keeps everyone happy, or happier

Post #: 59
RE: Combined Arms??????? - 8/18/2016 1:49:19 PM   
jmlima

quote:

ORIGINAL: norvandave

A haiku...

Combined Arms lofty goal,
To fight WEGO - but no launch,
Wind blows tumbleweeds.

I think the post above is a worthy recipient for the 2016 Tumbleweed Award:

(in reply to norvandave)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [In Development] >> Combined Arms: World War II (formerly Battlefields!) >> RE: Combined Arms??????? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI