Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Star Gravity well/Hyperdrive inhibiting ??

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> Star Gravity well/Hyperdrive inhibiting ?? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Star Gravity well/Hyperdrive inhibiting ?? - 5/22/2015 3:35:23 PM   
Canaris_PL

A while ago i had a mod idea but that mod would require one thing.

Is it possible to add a hyperdrive inhibiting ability to a STAR that covers lets say 90 % of a solar system ?

Out of the way Xeno scum, Humanity coming through !!!!!
Post #: 1
RE: Star Gravity well/Hyperdrive inhibiting ?? - 5/22/2015 6:36:22 PM   
2guncohen

I don't think it can be done like you described.
It sounds like you wanted to implemented a working black hole ?

(in reply to Canaris_PL)
Post #: 2
RE: Star Gravity well/Hyperdrive inhibiting ?? - 5/23/2015 9:17:48 AM   
Canaris_PL

quote:

ORIGINAL: 2guncohen

I don't think it can be done like you described.
It sounds like you wanted to implemented a working black hole ?

No no no, i wanted to make some sort of "Tactical" mod where ships can only jump from the outskirts of the system as they have to clear the gravity well of the star. Sort of like hyperdrive in Honorverse works.

I wanted to prevent things like bunch of ships jumping on top of the planet and to raise the importance of multi layered defence nets etc.

That coupled with slower hyperjump initiation, slower hyperdrives in general would make it more tactical/strategic where you have to rethink your fleets deployments because its way harder to retreat or reinforce .

Out of the way Xeno scum, Humanity coming through !!!!!

(in reply to 2guncohen)
Post #: 3
RE: Star Gravity well/Hyperdrive inhibiting ?? - 5/23/2015 12:22:23 PM   
PureHostility

There was something like that in Star Drive 1 if I remember correctly.
It was called Gravity Wells, which basically slowed down hyperdrive of your ships when they were in a solar system. You could change the strength of the applied slow, where 0% of speed meant that hyperdrives were disabled when in systems.

I won't lie, I would like that option in DWU too, where you can decrease (or disable) the speed at which ships can travel in hyperdrive while under influence of gravitational forces of nearby celestial bodies.

< Message edited by PureHostility -- 5/23/2015 1:24:26 PM >

(in reply to Canaris_PL)
Post #: 4
RE: Star Gravity well/Hyperdrive inhibiting ?? - 5/23/2015 12:32:07 PM   
VorteeX

well there is weapon hyper-deny. Meybe u can mod they range to cover whole star system. Then somehow drop them on sun, like in neutral space station.

(in reply to PureHostility)
Post #: 5
RE: Star Gravity well/Hyperdrive inhibiting ?? - 5/23/2015 1:48:52 PM   
PureHostility

Well, that is a pretty ugly resolution to this. ;)
It would be somewhat more interesting if you could just attach a simple component of custom hyper-deny to all stars by default, when map is generated...

(in reply to VorteeX)
Post #: 6
RE: Star Gravity well/Hyperdrive inhibiting ?? - 5/23/2015 1:59:25 PM   
Osito

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canaris_PL

A while ago i had a mod idea but that mod would require one thing.

Is it possible to add a hyperdrive inhibiting ability to a STAR that covers lets say 90 % of a solar system ?

You can't add such an ability to a star, but since you have a lot of flexibility as to where you can place your starbases (which can have the ability), I guess it comes down to the same thing.

So far as range is concerned, you can certainly increase the range of the gravity well projectors beyond the vanilla range. My own mod (Research Unleashed) includes gravity well projectors with a hyperstop range of 5600, which is double the maximum vanilla range.

As far as I know, you can make the range larger, but I haven't personally tested the limits (this is something I planned to try for future versions of my mod). If you have the gravity well projector reasonably near to the star, then a range of 25,000 would be enough to cover the whole star. That's probably a bit much, and I suspect that a range of 15,000 to 20,000 ought to be sufficient.

Osito

(in reply to Canaris_PL)
Post #: 7
RE: Star Gravity well/Hyperdrive inhibiting ?? - 6/5/2015 11:46:02 AM   
Pymous

This would be great to set an hyper deny range to each star systems (a variable and function of Star size for example)
Should we write this on the modding request thread?

< Message edited by Pymous -- 6/5/2015 12:47:03 PM >

(in reply to Osito)
Post #: 8
RE: Star Gravity well/Hyperdrive inhibiting ?? - 6/6/2015 9:53:06 AM   
feygan

In the base game you do already have some ares of space where you cannot warp into or out of, such as storyline regions like the Kaltor nests etc. Also I think some nebula have the same effect, If you can find these things in the moddable files then I would imagine there is an effect ability they all have. While you might not be able to add that to a star you could do a dirty hack. Make an invisible object that sits right next to a star with the same ability effect.

(in reply to Pymous)
Post #: 9
RE: Star Gravity well/Hyperdrive inhibiting ?? - 6/6/2015 12:54:28 PM   
fruitgnome

(I did not read all.) There is a component the Gravity Well Projector.

So you could build more bases with this in your systems or you could change the range of this component and place it only on your spaceports and the desings for the ai.
Because of the ai it would be best to mod the range and put it on every sportport design template. This would be great!!!

It annoys me a little that I did not yet placed Graviity Well Project bases in my system, but it were unfair against the ai till they als will do.

Perhaps it were bossible to create a new colony building with the gravity well projector ability. And only raise its range. That would be really the best, I think.

< Message edited by fruitgnome -- 6/6/2015 1:56:16 PM >

(in reply to feygan)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> Star Gravity well/Hyperdrive inhibiting ?? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI