Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: First Impressions?!?!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Scourge of War: Waterloo >> RE: First Impressions?!?! Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: First Impressions?!?! - 10/5/2015 10:34:50 PM   
ReinerAllen

This may have been addressed already, but why is the cavalry running as if they are running on ice (slipping) and why is the infantry is not firing using volley fire?

(in reply to Enigma6584)
Post #: 91
RE: First Impressions?!?! - 10/6/2015 4:36:52 PM   
con20or

quote:

ORIGINAL: RedCharlie65

Love the game. I really enjoy the fact this game makes you think ahead about how you want to position troops with respect to Chain of Command feature.

Glad you like it :) Welcome to the forums

(in reply to Enigma6584)
Post #: 92
RE: First Impressions?!?! - 10/6/2015 4:37:08 PM   
con20or

quote:

ORIGINAL: RickEAllen

This may have been addressed already, but why is the cavalry running as if they are running on ice (slipping) and why is the infantry is not firing using volley fire?

- I can't provide a definitive answer for the cavalry question without a savedgame - it could be because one part of the unit is crossing terrain with a high movement penalty.

- The infantry do use volley fire, but they switch to individual fire after the first volley. There is also a button on the taskbar for you to order a unit to volley fire.

(in reply to ReinerAllen)
Post #: 93
RE: First Impressions?!?! - 10/14/2015 3:34:56 PM   
aaatoysandmore

Excellent game as 'all" Norbsoft games are. I look forward to his ancients version someday.

It got an excellent review at Armchair General and even Metacritic. I think it's like the #2 wargame over there or very close. Those are the only two that really count.

(in reply to roy64)
Post #: 94
RE: First Impressions?!?! - 10/15/2015 3:10:25 PM   
con20or

Glad you like it :)

I saw the ArmChair general one but not the Metacritic review - I'll have to try and find that, thanks for the info.

< Message edited by con20or -- 10/15/2015 4:10:36 PM >

(in reply to aaatoysandmore)
Post #: 95
RE: First Impressions?!?! - 11/24/2015 4:56:47 PM   
Mr Digby

quote:

ORIGINAL: BloodyBill76

Napoleonic combat was about maneuver morale and shock. In some ways SOW Waterloo feels like a civil war battle with Napoleonic uniforms. Columns were the main maneuver formation. The British according to reports loved to fire a close volley and then break the enemy with a charge that more often broke the enemy before contact than actually going in to melee. Fire fights and heavy skirmish usually took place in areas of broken terrain, place that fast moving columns couldn't be used effectively. Column was used a lot as it was a fast formation that gave a morale boost. SOW Waterloo I do not notice a speed difference between column and line formations. Maneuver by line was slow cumbersome and took good officers to make work correctly.

By 1809 it is reported that artillery was so effective that it caused up to 70% of all battlefield losses. One example would be at Friedland in which a mobile battery of 30 French guns tore a 4,000 man swath out of the Russian center in less than forty minutes.

Napoleonic combat was not long drawn out fire fights in open terrain, it was maneuver deliver a volley and go in for the kill.

Bill

Have you tried the KS Mod? We created it because the game played like ACW with funny hats and not like a Napoleonic battle. The KS Mod delivers a more Napoleonic feel, especially in terms of artillery's power and skirmisher nuisance value.

BTW - columns and lines moved at the same speed, the regulation pace of whatever that army used in its drill book. However because a column had a narrower frontage it was easier to wheel and could negotiate broken terrain more easily. For lines the officers and NCOS had to halt the unit more frequently to dress ranks. If you watch SoW units moving the exact same thing happens - columns and lines move at the same pace but a column can alter direction more rapidly than a line and a line takes ages to form up into a position to open fire, so even though it may look a little weird the end result the game delivers is about right (all the units move too fast BTW).

(in reply to BloodyBill76)
Post #: 96
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Scourge of War: Waterloo >> RE: First Impressions?!?! Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI