Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Loading AE on a Retina Macbook with Parallels and Win 8.1

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> Loading AE on a Retina Macbook with Parallels and Win 8.1 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Loading AE on a Retina Macbook with Parallels and Win 8.1 - 6/17/2015 9:57:06 AM   
jimh009

Hi,

Well my old Windows machine that had AE finally died. My new Apple Macbook I have now is the new, top of the line 15" one with Retina and Parallels 9/Windows 8.1 installed.

So far, I've had no issues loading up older Windows programs on the Mac...except for, of course, WiTP AE.

I've looked through the handful of threads I could find on this and have had zero success in getting things to work.

Can anyone suggest what settings need to be in Parallels to get AE (which is a non-HD game) to work correctly on a HD display? When I load up the game now, for lack of a better word...the game is deformed. Only part of it shows.

Additionally, can anyone suggest what switches to use to run AE properly on a Macbook running Parallels/Windows 8.1?

Thanks for any help

Jim
Post #: 1
RE: Loading AE on a Retina Macbook with Parallels and W... - 6/17/2015 10:01:13 AM   
RogerJNeilson

Ok mine is a desktop Mac and its running Windows 7 in Parallels so not absolutely of help but FWIW here is my switches:

"C:\Mike\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -w -px1680 -py1050 -deepColor -altFont -archive -skipVideo -cpu2 -dd_sw

Roger

An unplanned dynasty: Roger Neilson, Roger Neilson 11, Roger Neilson 3 previous posts 898+1515 + 1126 = 3539.....Finally completed my game which started the day WITP:AE was released

(in reply to jimh009)
Post #: 2
RE: Loading AE on a Retina Macbook with Parallels and W... - 6/17/2015 10:15:37 AM   
jimh009

Thanks

I tried that, but the game still is a mess on loading. I have a suspicion that something needs to be changed in the Parallels setting for this game to make it work. Just not sure what!

(in reply to RogerJNeilson)
Post #: 3
RE: Loading AE on a Retina Macbook with Parallels and W... - 6/17/2015 11:26:18 AM   
Franciscus

Hi

Not probably very helpful, but...
I have a 27' IMac from 2011 (so, no retina). I have Windows 7 installed on a partition, and also acessible via Parallels.

I find much more convenient to load Windows via bootcamp than using Parallels - with Parallels loading time is very slow, there are mouse performance issues, etc.

Bottom line I almost never use Parallels.

Can you use bootcamp ?

Regards

Former AJE team member

(in reply to jimh009)
Post #: 4
RE: Loading AE on a Retina Macbook with Parallels and W... - 6/17/2015 12:37:32 PM   
jimh009

OK. Got it all running...I think. Time will tell as the game progresses.

I had to use some very odd settings to make it all work correctly.

First, I had to download the latest patch. Initially I tried setting everything up with the original version. But after I downloaded the patch, things worked ok.

However, things still came up in a relatively small box (the high-res of the Macbook caused it, I suspect).

So, here's what I did with all my settings.

1. For Parallels...set it to Full Screen
2. For the shortcut, use this:"C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -w -px1280 -py800 -deepColor -altFont -archive -skipVideo -cpu2 -dd_sw

Note the real low width/height. Initially I tried setting it to the shortcuts game default (-px1680 -py1050). However, it caused a "boxy effect", leaving vast space available on either side of the game. That boxy effect also made it difficult to scroll using the mouse.

Very strangely, by setting it to 1280 x 800, I'm now able to utilize most of the width of the screen now. Additionally, all mouse scroll movement problems are gone, too. Why...who knows. But it does seem to be working.

(in reply to Franciscus)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> Loading AE on a Retina Macbook with Parallels and Win 8.1 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI