Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

noob question: Where is the tutorial guide?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> noob question: Where is the tutorial guide? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
noob question: Where is the tutorial guide? - 7/4/2015 3:24:46 AM   
bogaty

I just purchased and updated the game. I started reading the manual and in the Getting Started section, it mentions that there should be a tutorial guide in the game directory on my hard drive. I can't seem to find one.

I have 2 versions of the game manual, a guide to the editor, a What's new? .pdf, an interface addendum, a pilot's manual addendum, and a preview of Armchair General magazine but no tutorial.

Can someone point me to it please?
Post #: 1
RE: noob question: Where is the tutorial guide? - 7/4/2015 3:40:16 AM   
Numdydar

Does not exist. Sorry. It was planned but the devs never had the time to complete it.

(in reply to bogaty)
Post #: 2
RE: noob question: Where is the tutorial guide? - 7/4/2015 3:40:20 AM   
wdolson

Unfortunately the tutorial scenario was never completed. You will have to rely on the FAQs, YouTube videos, the forum, and other resources out there.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to bogaty)
Post #: 3
RE: noob question: Where is the tutorial guide? - 7/4/2015 3:41:12 AM   
Numdydar

Beat you by that much Bill

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 4
RE: noob question: Where is the tutorial guide? - 7/4/2015 3:42:28 AM   
bogaty

I see. Thanks for the replies gents. I was worried it was time to get new bifocals again.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 5
RE: noob question: Where is the tutorial guide? - 7/4/2015 5:59:02 AM   
Leandros

I was wondering about the same but never asked. Now at least I have the answer....

Fred

River Wide, Ocean Deep - a book on Operation Sea Lion - www.fredleander.com
Saving MacArthur - a book series on how The Philippines were saved - in 1942! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D34QCWQ/?ie=UTF8&redirect=true&ref=series_rw_dp_labf

(in reply to bogaty)
Post #: 6
RE: noob question: Where is the tutorial guide? - 7/4/2015 12:11:00 PM   
crsutton

quote:

ORIGINAL: bogaty

I see. Thanks for the replies gents. I was worried it was time to get new bifocals again.

Welcome to the forum and to the game that has consumed a lot of us for quite a while now. The real problem is that the manual is quite out of date. This is not bad news, it is just that the game has been updated and improved so many times since it was first introduced that a lot of the data is missing or outdated. There is quite a learning curve but there is also a lot of help to be found here on this forum. Don't be shy about asking. I highly recommend that you read some of the long going After Action Reports as well. That is probably where I have learned the most about the game. I think the best way to learn is to find a human opponent that is at your level or a little better and start off with a short scenario. Playing the AI is fun but the AI gets predictable after a while. The game really shines when you wade into a full campaign with a matched opponent.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to bogaty)
Post #: 7
RE: noob question: Where is the tutorial guide? - 7/6/2015 6:49:10 AM   
bogaty

Thanks for the welcome. It was a PBEM AAR over at Grogheads.com that got me to buy. I had the original WiTP but never really got into it because I found the transport rules really counter-intuitive at the time.

I just bought the board game, Empire of the Sun from GMT games and have been on a bit of a Pacific Theatre kick.

Do you recommend any particular guides? I'm currently muddling my way through the Coral Sea scenario as the Yanks and I'm thoroughly at sea (pun sort of intended.)

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 8
RE: noob question: Where is the tutorial guide? - 7/6/2015 12:17:20 PM   
Rising-Sun

Well even if you got the box version, there still a lot of information have been updated or corrected. believe there a readme text file to explain this. Yes the booklet is handy while playing, but also the booklet is not very sturdy and it will start to fall apart sooner or later if you opened it many time reading it. I have few pages about to fall out here :(

(in reply to bogaty)
Post #: 9
RE: noob question: Where is the tutorial guide? - 7/6/2015 2:13:23 PM   
crsutton

quote:

ORIGINAL: bogaty

Thanks for the welcome. It was a PBEM AAR over at Grogheads.com that got me to buy. I had the original WiTP but never really got into it because I found the transport rules really counter-intuitive at the time.

I just bought the board game, Empire of the Sun from GMT games and have been on a bit of a Pacific Theatre kick.

Do you recommend any particular guides? I'm currently muddling my way through the Coral Sea scenario as the Yanks and I'm thoroughly at sea (pun sort of intended.)

Just go into the AAR section and look over the AARs. Pick out the ones that have a lot of hits and replies which indicate that they have been going on for a long time. (Most AARs seem to crash and burn after a few months). Not only will there be recounts of game play but many players will chime in to discuss mechanics, game play, rules, and common house rules to iron out the few gamey defects that can be exploited.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to bogaty)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> noob question: Where is the tutorial guide? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI