Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: The Operational Art of War III receives a final update… and a sequel!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> RE: The Operational Art of War III receives a final update… and a sequel! Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Operational Art of War III receives a final upd... - 7/10/2015 3:31:21 PM   
ogar

@jakobscalpel,

If your ACW game is run under 3.4.0.202 or with mod 3xBb, you could play it safe by just copying the whole TOAW directory (using Windows), and then upgrade the copy (or original) directory. You'll have the un-upgraded directory to fall back to, if things crash out, and you'll have a separate upgraded account to use for testing. (I'm just poking around with the upgrade now, and am starting to test how it works/plays vs how the same scenario plays under 3xBb. Then I can move on to trying out the Editor, and see what effects that has on migrating a few thousand hours of design work...)

(in reply to biddrafter2)
Post #: 61
RE: The Operational Art of War III receives a final upd... - 7/11/2015 3:46:58 PM   
LOK_32MK

Thank you Matrix, and everyone else involved.
Looking forward to TOAW IV, V, VI...(I got to have something to do when I retire)
so many scenarios so little time

(in reply to ogar)
Post #: 62
RE: The Operational Art of War III receives a final upd... - 7/11/2015 4:56:06 PM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: LOK_32MK
Thank you Matrix, and everyone else involved.
Looking forward to TOAW IV, V, VI...(I got to have something to do when I retire)
so many scenarios so little time

Start with the classic folder and play all of them just for old times sake. The gameplay will alter a bit because of the changes
in the new version but most of them are still playable. This is what I did about 8 months ago and I had a blast. Some of the
games generated an AAR. We'd like to see some AAR's from you my friend.

If we're all created in the image of god then why aren't we all invisible?

(in reply to LOK_32MK)
Post #: 63
RE: The Operational Art of War III receives a final upd... - 7/11/2015 7:02:15 PM   
Falcon1

I notice that the previous patch is still available for download.

So should I assume that this latest patch is NOT a comprehensive one?
I will need to use both patches now, correct?

Seems odd that a so-called "final patch" would not be comprehensive.

< Message edited by Falcon1 -- 7/11/2015 8:03:41 PM >

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 64
RE: The Operational Art of War III receives a final upd... - 7/11/2015 7:38:04 PM   
Curtis Lemay

The new patch is comprehensive.

My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

(in reply to Falcon1)
Post #: 65
RE: The Operational Art of War III receives a final upd... - 7/11/2015 8:39:34 PM   
VegasOZ

When I use the small and tiny Zoom out with the PNG graphics on the MAP IS GARBLED.

If I revert to the regular TOAW graphics the small and tiny Zoom out with PNG graphics is also garbled.

If I TURN OFF the Support PNG graphics option then the small and tiny Zoom out levels clear up.

Is the patched "NEW" Graphics file(s) corrupted? Why are the graphics garbled at the two highest Zoom Out levels with PNG graphics turned on?

Thanks

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 66
RE: The Operational Art of War III receives a final upd... - 7/11/2015 9:14:25 PM   
Silvanski

Oh wow!!! While I'm still playing TOAWIII vs a dedicated opponent, I've been dormant in scenario design and testing due to other commitments...
What a pleasant surprise to see this news.
Downloaded and installed the update.... Looking forwardto TOAW IV

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Silvanski -- 7/12/2015 4:57:42 PM >

The TOAW Redux Dude

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 67
RE: The Operational Art of War III receives a final upd... - 7/11/2015 10:16:54 PM   
sPzAbt653

VegasOZ - I don't see an issue here, maybe tell us what scenario and I can check that one here.

Shot is Small View with PNG = ON, Tiny View looks ok too.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to VegasOZ)
Post #: 68
RE: The Operational Art of War III receives a final upd... - 7/12/2015 12:03:23 AM   
Meyer1

VegasOZ: you mean this?

I have this in some scenarios, such as "Race for Tunisia". This is not new patch-related, I also had it in the 3.4.202 version.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 69
RE: The Operational Art of War III receives a final upd... - 7/12/2015 12:04:58 AM   
VegasOZ

The Scenario is the Campaign for North Africa: Desert Fox

< Message edited by VegasOZ -- 7/12/2015 1:12:56 AM >

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 70
RE: The Operational Art of War III receives a final upd... - 7/12/2015 12:14:02 AM   
VegasOZ

Yes that is what I am getting in the Campaign for North Africa: Desert Fox scenario.

Is there anyway to fix it?

(in reply to Meyer1)
Post #: 71
RE: The Operational Art of War III receives a final upd... - 7/12/2015 12:18:09 AM   
Meyer1

quote:

ORIGINAL: VegasOZ

Yes that is what I am getting in the Campaign for North Africa: Desert Fox scenario.

Sorry, I have no idea. I would assume that would take some map editing.. maybe some map creators could help us here.

(in reply to VegasOZ)
Post #: 72
RE: The Operational Art of War III receives a final upd... - 7/12/2015 12:18:57 AM   
Falcon1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay

The new patch is comprehensive.

OK thanks, that makes more sense.

I guess they just haven't gotten around to removing the old one yet.

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 73
RE: The Operational Art of War III receives a final upd... - 7/12/2015 12:20:59 AM   
VegasOZ

quote:

ORIGINAL: Meyer1

quote:

Sorry, I have no idea. I would assume that would take some map editing.. maybe some map creators could help us here.

I just opened up 5 different scenarios from 3 different era folders and I get the same thing with small and tiny zoom level. I guess I'll just have to play with the PNG graphics turned off.

Thanks for at least helping me to get across the problem. I was not able to upload a .jpg file as it was too large.

(in reply to Meyer1)
Post #: 74
RE: The Operational Art of War III receives a final upd... - 7/12/2015 12:24:39 AM   
Meyer1

quote:

I just opened up 5 different scenarios from 3 different era folders and I get the same thing with small and tiny zoom level. I guess I'll just have to play with the PNG graphics turned off.

Thanks for at least helping me to get across the problem. I was not able to upload a .jpg file as it was too large.

No problem. Could you tell me which scenarios have you tried? Also didn't find "the Campaign for North Africa: Desert Fox" in my copy. Is this a Bob Cross' one? I think you can play the updated verions that are already in the game.

< Message edited by Meyer1 -- 7/12/2015 1:25:05 AM >

(in reply to VegasOZ)
Post #: 75
RE: The Operational Art of War III receives a final upd... - 7/12/2015 12:48:01 AM   
VegasOZ

It is the 3rd scenario down in the Campaign for North Africa List. There are like 5 or 6 of them that represent different start times for the Campaign for North Africa. They are in the WW II Med folder.

(in reply to Meyer1)
Post #: 76
RE: The Operational Art of War III receives a final upd... - 7/12/2015 12:54:43 AM   
Meyer1

quote:

It is the 3rd scenario down in the Campaign for North Africa List. There are like 5 or 6 of them that represent different start times for the Campaign for North Africa. They are in the WW II Med folder.

Oh, yes. I see it now. But, I have no problem with that one, map is fine with png graphics at all zoom levels. Weird.

(in reply to VegasOZ)
Post #: 77
RE: The Operational Art of War III receives a final upd... - 7/12/2015 12:59:46 AM   
VegasOZ

I am running 19 x 10 screen resolution. I tried 16 x 9 and I still get the garbled graphics.

I'm going to try a complete reinstall of the entire program, then patch it fresh and see what I get.

So far every scenario I've tried has the Garbled graphics so something is wrong all over the range of maps.

(in reply to Meyer1)
Post #: 78
RE: The Operational Art of War III receives a final upd... - 7/12/2015 1:04:10 AM   
Meyer1

quote:

I'm going to try a complete reinstall of the entire program, then patch it fresh and see what I get.

Good idea.

(in reply to VegasOZ)
Post #: 79
RE: The Operational Art of War III receives a final upd... - 7/12/2015 1:10:34 AM   
Meyer1

VegasOZ: I think I figured out, deleted the graphic folders in the scenario I was having problems (race for Tunis), and that solved the problem. Obviously, some bmp files were conflicting with the new graphics.
Reinstalling it should solve your problem, but just to be sure try to delete the old graphic folder before.

(in reply to Meyer1)
Post #: 80
RE: The Operational Art of War III receives a final upd... - 7/12/2015 2:03:39 AM   
VegasOZ

quote:

VegasOZ: I think I figured out, deleted the graphic folders in the scenario I was having problems (race for Tunis), and that solved the problem. Obviously, some bmp files were conflicting with the new graphics.
Reinstalling it should solve your problem, but just to be sure try to delete the old graphic folder before.

I did a complete uninstall, deleted the orginal Matrix folder and then reinstalled. Tested and the Small and Tiny Zoom levels were working fine.

I installed the latest patch fresh over the fresh core install. The problem seems to be cleared up now. My Campaign for North Africa, Rommel version, now has all Zoom levels working fine.

Thanks for your help on this.

Ok, problem fixed.

A fresh reinstall and fresh patch always seems to be the best option I guess.

(in reply to Meyer1)
Post #: 81
RE: The Operational Art of War III receives a final upd... - 7/12/2015 2:36:48 PM   
Ranger33

Are people really complaining that they have to fork over some cash once a decade to keep this series going?

I'm excited! I'm still a newbie after owning the game for a couple years now, but I think it's an incredible game. So much content and variety in one title is unheard of these days.

(in reply to VegasOZ)
Post #: 82
RE: The Operational Art of War III receives a final upd... - 7/12/2015 2:59:01 PM   
76mm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ranger33
Are people really complaining that they have to fork over some cash once a decade to keep this series going?

It's kind of funny, that you, a self-acknowledged newbie, makes this point. Sure the game is very good, but I've paid full price three times for some pretty incremental improvements. I'll be happy to pay full price again if they bring the UI out of the stone-age, but not if this turns out to be a glorified patch. I'll definitely wait for a few months after release before deciding.

(in reply to Ranger33)
Post #: 83
RE: The Operational Art of War III receives a final upd... - 7/12/2015 7:34:55 PM   
Lobster

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ranger33

I'm excited! I'm still a newbie after owning the game for a couple years now, but I think it's an incredible game. So much content and variety in one title is unheard of these days.

Here is what I have:

Operational Art of War I
Operational Art of War II
Operational Art of War Flashpoint Kosovo
Operational Art of War Elite Edition
Operational Art of War Century of Warfare
Operational Art of War III

I may have missed one but I think that's all I have. And yes, each one was a small improvement over the other. No groundbreaking differences between them. Well, not counting the bugs anyway. I too would like to see some big improvement or something extremely righteous done but regardless I'm fairly obligated to spend whatever price they ask to continue work on an important project. I'm hoping they don't ask something like $50 for what may end up being a glorified patch. (awaiting typical fanbois replies)

BTW, the original 3.5 patch could have 'kept it going'.

< Message edited by Lobster -- 7/12/2015 8:36:26 PM >

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.

(in reply to Ranger33)
Post #: 84
RE: The Operational Art of War III receives a final upd... - 7/12/2015 11:56:03 PM   
fogger

Jack
If you go to Bob's website and then follow the link to Ralph's "Operational Warfare developer's Blog" and read some of Ralph's posts you will see Ralph talking about the "new IU code (31 May 15)" and "Modern C++ code (8 Mar 15)". I am no computer expert but I read that to mean that TOAW 4 is being rewritten in a more up to date code.

I could be totally wrong here and if I am would someone kindly correct me.

cheers
John

Thought for the day:
If you feel like doing some work, sit down and wait....... The feeling does go away.

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 85
RE: The Operational Art of War III receives a final upd... - 7/13/2015 2:51:16 AM   
Lobster

quote:

ORIGINAL: fogger

Jack
If you go to Bob's website and then follow the link to Ralph's "Operational Warfare developer's Blog" and read some of Ralph's posts you will see Ralph talking about the "new IU code (31 May 15)" and "Modern C++ code (8 Mar 15)". I am no computer expert but I read that to mean that TOAW 4 is being rewritten in a more up to date code.

I could be totally wrong here and if I am would someone kindly correct me.

cheers
John

This http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3462323

And this http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3462345

Also, if you click on Ralph's name it brings up his profile that has a link to his blog. This whole thing has been so off and on with so many dates it makes my head spin.

< Message edited by Lobster -- 7/13/2015 3:52:18 AM >

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

(in reply to fogger)
Post #: 86
RE: The Operational Art of War III receives a final upd... - 7/13/2015 4:00:26 AM   
Lobster

quote:

VegasOZ: you mean this?

I have this in some scenarios, such as "Race for Tunisia". This is not new patch-related, I also had it in the 3.4.202 version.

This looks like what I get when I save my .png tile edits improperly.

(in reply to Meyer1)
Post #: 87
RE: The Operational Art of War III receives a final upd... - 7/14/2015 11:37:08 PM   
SMK-at-work

quote:

ORIGINAL: fogger

What is US$40 in New Zealand dollars? That is assuming that Matrix will be selling the game for US$40.

About NZ$60 at the moment - doesn't matter - it will be worth it - if I play IV for half as long as I've played III anything less than $100 will amount to less than 50 cents/week!

(in reply to fogger)
Post #: 88
RE: The Operational Art of War III receives a final upd... - 7/17/2015 1:29:51 AM   
rgflores

Just two things I would like to see improved with the next TOAW version.
The first, playing huge and big scenarios against the PC, takes too much time to wait the enemy to complete all it´s moviments and resolve all the battles. However, I don´t know if it is technically possible to fix. But if it is possible, would be a huge improvement.
The second, I think, is not so difficult do fix. Would be great if we could read the rules with big fonts and not with those dark background that make very difficult to read the letters. Anyway, I´m anxious to buy the new version.

(in reply to SMK-at-work)
Post #: 89
RE: The Operational Art of War III receives a final upd... - 7/17/2015 7:19:05 AM   
VegasOZ

I am very excited to get a copy of TOAW IV and will pay for the game willingly. One of the best gaming values ever produced in my view.

(in reply to rgflores)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> RE: The Operational Art of War III receives a final update… and a sequel! Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI