Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

The Operational Art of War III receives a final update… and a sequel!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> The Operational Art of War III receives a final update… and a sequel! Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Operational Art of War III receives a final update…... - 7/7/2015 2:16:59 PM   
Daniele

First published in 1998, this legendary series of operational wargames has seen six releases, including the latest Operational Art of War III, released to the wargaming audience in 2006. Now, as we conclude The Operational Art of War III, we are also taking a new step to continue the series into the future. Publisher Matrix Games and the TOAW Development Team have been working behind the scenes for nearly two years to take this landmark brand to new heights.

First, a long-promised update… with development for The Operational Art of War once again in full swing, many months of development both past and present have allowed us to complete the final update for The Operational Art of War III, version 3.4.1.9! This update allows us to bring the TOAW community a parting gift for TOAW III, including a feature enhancement, quite a few bug fixes and new and revised scenarios, while also laying the groundwork for a new release, The Operational Art of War IV.

The Operational Art of War IV started as an update intended to be TOAW III version 3.5, but when we were able to re-start full development on the series, it allowed us to do much more in the way of significant improvements than we had originally considered and it kept growing until it became a full release plan. As a result, we’ve invested the time and resources to continue the series while also continuing support for TOAW III and the TOAW community in the form of this update. As many bug fixes as possible, basically anything that was not too tightly intertwined with new features and code, were removed from the Operational Art of War IV process and are included in this 3.4.1.9 release.

The Operational Art of War IV is scheduled to release late this year and includes a complete graphics and interface overhaul, major new gameplay and design features such as full naval combat modelling, improved supply handling, numerous increases to scenario parameters to better support large scenarios, and integrated PBEM++. It also includes tweaks and improvements to the underlying mechanics based upon player feedback that are sure to bring TOAW’s proven gameplay to a new level. The many improvements in Operational Art of War IV are also aimed at growing the community by making TOAW more accessible for a new generation of wargamers.

The Operational Art of War IV will fully support modern computer hardware and operating systems. This will make it more user-friendly and able to scale to higher resolutions, especially in terms of font and button size. It reorganizes and adds functionality to many very useful screens and dialogs to make them more informative and easier to use. Once released, TOAW IV will continue to be supported for some time, hopefully leading to many more updates and improvements. TOAW IV will be the new base point for the TOAW series and future updates will be based on this new release.

For a complete list of changes for the 3.4.1.9 update, check here

You can download the patch here

Get more information about TOAW III from its official product page.
Post #: 1
RE: The Operational Art of War III receives a final upd... - 7/7/2015 2:31:52 PM   
zakblood

looking forward to IV :)

(in reply to Daniele)
Post #: 2
RE: The Operational Art of War III receives a final upd... - 7/7/2015 2:55:39 PM   
tex_ka95

This announcement totally made my day! My year! TOAW is in my top 5 of all time favorite wargames!

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 3
RE: The Operational Art of War III receives a final upd... - 7/7/2015 3:24:44 PM   
Bison36

Holy shmoley!

(in reply to tex_ka95)
Post #: 4
RE: The Operational Art of War III receives a final upd... - 7/7/2015 4:03:29 PM   
vvidas

Can't wait. My first pc wargame and one of my favorites that opened the whole world of wargaming.

(in reply to Bison36)
Post #: 5
RE: The Operational Art of War III receives a final upd... - 7/7/2015 7:43:55 PM   
danlongman

Oh you made me happy. This is something I have waited for.
I hope to live to see it on this here monitor. My cat Pip
was also waiting for this announcement but a couple of years
back he passed away in a freak Slip'N'Slide accident. I would
like to think that somehow, somewhere he knows about this event.

"Patriotism: Your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw

(in reply to vvidas)
Post #: 6
RE: The Operational Art of War III receives a final upd... - 7/7/2015 7:50:15 PM   
redkraken

Wow, that's great news (on both versions)! This is a game I've been wanting to see upgraded for years. Definitely on my "must buy" list.

(in reply to Daniele)
Post #: 7
RE: The Operational Art of War III receives a final upd... - 7/7/2015 8:25:45 PM   
shunwick

Wazzappinin Dudes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfGDvDGE7zk

Best wishes,
Steve

I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...

(in reply to redkraken)
Post #: 8
RE: The Operational Art of War III receives a final upd... - 7/7/2015 8:33:23 PM   
derwho

Wow, this is big news.

Imperial Field Service Code (senjinkun):
"Remember always the good reputation of your family and the opinion of people of your birthplace. Do not shame yourself by being taken prisoner alive; die so as to not leave behind a soiled name."

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 9
RE: The Operational Art of War III receives a final upd... - 7/8/2015 9:30:33 AM   
modrow

quote:

ORIGINAL: drwho

Wow, this is big news.

+1. Great idea, great project! Thank you !!!

(in reply to derwho)
Post #: 10
RE: The Operational Art of War III receives a final upd... - 7/8/2015 1:18:54 PM   
Toby42

I had the original when it first came out. I was thinking about picking up III, but now I'll wait until IV comes out!

Tony

(in reply to modrow)
Post #: 11
RE: The Operational Art of War III receives a final upd... - 7/8/2015 9:14:09 PM   
lecrop

Great news!

(in reply to Toby42)
Post #: 12
RE: The Operational Art of War III receives a final upd... - 7/9/2015 12:56:10 AM   
trebcourie

Great news!

(in reply to lecrop)
Post #: 13
RE: The Operational Art of War III receives a final upd... - 7/9/2015 3:50:47 PM   
Emx77

Will there be any changes regarding hex scale for TOAW IV? Smallest possible hex size is now set to 2,5 km. I would like to see 0,5 km or at least 1 km for TOAW IV?

(in reply to trebcourie)
Post #: 14
RE: The Operational Art of War III receives a final upd... - 7/11/2015 6:10:48 AM   
Rokossovskiy

Half kilometer would not work I think. You would need line of sight and this game has none. Probly the same for 1 km. At 1.5 km you would be pushing LOS. At 2 km you would be ok without. At least that's how it seems for WW1 and WW2. Modern LOS could be in effect out to a handful of km with all the imaging stuff and internal fueled ordinance.

(in reply to Emx77)
Post #: 15
RE: The Operational Art of War III receives a final upd... - 7/12/2015 4:08:48 PM   
Silvanski

Most excellent! I used to be on the TOAW III test team. I may return

The TOAW Redux Dude

(in reply to Rokossovskiy)
Post #: 16
RE: The Operational Art of War III receives a final upd... - 7/14/2015 3:21:19 PM   
mike1984

This is incredible news.

(in reply to Silvanski)
Post #: 17
RE: The Operational Art of War III receives a final upd... - 7/14/2015 9:06:20 PM   
Falcon1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Emir Agic

Will there be any changes regarding hex scale for TOAW IV? Smallest possible hex size is now set to 2,5 km. I would like to see 0,5 km or at least 1 km for TOAW IV?

Well, according to the manual, "operational" level means just beyond the scale where the different ranges of direct fire weapons are significant. Since tiger tanks were known to toast T-34s at a range of 2000 meters, I would say 0.5km is way too small of a scale for this type of game.

(in reply to Emx77)
Post #: 18
RE: The Operational Art of War III receives a final upd... - 7/22/2015 6:35:56 PM   
Freyr Oakenshield

Could someone explain - what is this "PBEM plus plus" thing? How is it different from ordinary PBEM?

(in reply to Falcon1)
Post #: 19
RE: The Operational Art of War III receives a final upd... - 7/22/2015 6:41:00 PM   
lecrop

quote:

ORIGINAL: Freyr Oakenshield

Could someone explain - what is this "PBEM plus plus" thing? How is it different from ordinary PBEM?

Is the Slitherine's server based PBEM system, more info here

(in reply to Freyr Oakenshield)
Post #: 20
RE: The Operational Art of War III receives a final upd... - 7/22/2015 10:42:52 PM   
Lobster

quote:

ORIGINAL: Falcon1

quote:

Well, according to the manual, "operational" level means just beyond the scale where the different ranges of direct fire weapons are significant. Since tiger tanks were known to toast T-34s at a range of 2000 meters, I would say 0.5km is way too small of a scale for this type of game.

8.8cm Pak43 effective range (direct fire) was 4km. John Tiller Panzer Campaign series is called operational with 1km hexes and some multi hex range direct fire units. TOAW is not suited for multi hex range direct fire because there are no elevations, just hills, etc.

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.

(in reply to Falcon1)
Post #: 21
RE: The Operational Art of War III receives a final upd... - 7/22/2015 10:53:52 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lobster

quote:

ORIGINAL: Falcon1

quote:

8.8cm Pak43 effective range (direct fire) was 4km. John Tiller Panzer Campaign series is called operational with 1km hexes and some multi hex range direct fire units. TOAW is not suited for multi hex range direct fire because there are no elevations, just hills, etc.

Nevertheless, you can have scenarios where none of those weapons are used. Try WWI or The Pacific. Or even earlier, like Civil War or Napoleonic. If we treat designers like adults they can decide for themselves whether such scales are usable for their subjects. So, I do hope we get some of that down the road.

My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 22
RE: The Operational Art of War III receives a final upd... - 8/1/2015 1:22:02 PM   
Blind Sniper

Really interested, great news!

WitP-AE - WitE - CWII - BASPM - BaB

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 23
RE: The Operational Art of War III receives a final upd... - 8/2/2015 11:34:23 AM   
Lobster

quote:

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay
Nevertheless, you can have scenarios where none of those weapons are used. Try WWI or The Pacific. Or even earlier, like Civil War or Napoleonic. If we treat designers like adults they can decide for themselves whether such scales are usable for their subjects. So, I do hope we get some of that down the road.

Throwing terrain elevations into TOAW would require a complete rewrite of the entire game. Might as well call it something else. The Art of War I guess since it would no longer be operational. Considering how difficult it is to get a simple patch out I will be long dead before that happens, if it ever would. Treating scenario designers like adults would also require a complete rewrite of the game designers brains since even now we are denied complete control over how things take place in a scenario.

< Message edited by Lobster -- 8/2/2015 12:35:32 PM >

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Post #: 24
RE: The Operational Art of War III receives a final upd... - 8/2/2015 2:05:20 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay

Throwing terrain elevations into TOAW would require a complete rewrite of the entire game.

Elevations wouldn't be required if no equipment's effective direct-fire range in your scenario's inventory exceeds the hex scale. And some topics may lack any weapons with effective ranges exceeding 1km or even 0.5km.

My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 25
RE: The Operational Art of War III receives a final upd... - 9/14/2015 9:14:43 AM   
Trick37_MatrixForum

So when does TOAW IV come out?

Post #: 26
RE: The Operational Art of War III receives a final upd... - 9/14/2015 2:51:14 PM   
sPzAbt653

The Operational Art of War IV is scheduled to release late this year

(in reply to Trick37_MatrixForum)
Post #: 27
RE: The Operational Art of War III receives a final upd... - 9/15/2015 11:30:02 AM   
Elemental

In reply to Lobster. You could always make your own game. Or, just be grateful that there are volunteers out there working to get this together (with one paid developer). We all appreciate this shouldn't be the case, but when you're woring to a very limited market then it's hardly surprising that there isn't the substanstial investment one would like to see in order to expedite version IV.

In short, as my nan used to say, there is just no pleasing some people... :)

< Message edited by Elemental -- 9/15/2015 12:31:38 PM >

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 28
RE: The Operational Art of War III receives a final upd... - 9/15/2015 2:21:59 PM   
Lobster

quote:

ORIGINAL: Elemental

In reply to Lobster. You could always make your own game. Or, just be grateful that there are volunteers out there working to get this together (with one paid developer). We all appreciate this shouldn't be the case, but when you're woring to a very limited market then it's hardly surprising that there isn't the substanstial investment one would like to see in order to expedite version IV.

In short, as my nan used to say, there is just no pleasing some people... :)

I'm sorry, exactly what the hell are you talking about?

(in reply to Elemental)
Post #: 29
RE: The Operational Art of War III receives a final upd... - 9/15/2015 3:15:15 PM   
76mm

quote:

I'm sorry, exactly what the hell are you talking about?

heh, I thought I missed something. The part about "woring to a very limited market" was especially concerning--a letter appears to be missing, but which one??

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> The Operational Art of War III receives a final update… and a sequel! Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI