Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

The Final Countdown

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Mods and Scenarios >> The Final Countdown Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Final Countdown - 7/7/2015 6:44:04 PM   
jmarso

A little over a year ago a member named acb3 posted a template for a 'Final Countdown' scenario.

I took that template, worked it over a good bit, and made 3 scenarios out of it. The first covers about the first 4 hours after the Nimitz emerges in 1941, covering some of the initial events of the movie up through the shootdown of the zeroes and the E-2 locating the Japanese fleet.

The second scenario starts at 0530 local time on the 7th, just before the Japanese are ready to begin their launch. Unlike the original template, I've pretty much removed the 1941-USN units from play- this is the classic movie showdown never seen on screen where the Nimitz flat bushwacks the IJN at dawn.

The third scenario mirrors the second, but I changed some of the briefing text and authorized/set up a nuclear strike on the Japanese fleet rather than a conventional strike. This is probably the most one sided scenario ever made for Command, but it does highlight the way it could be all over for the Japanese about 30 minutes after the first Intruder leaves the deck, as if there was any doubt. The rationale for a nuclear attack is given in the briefing- I think it makes sense and when you take the broader picture into account (especially if you are stranded in 1941,)

Sunburn said it was okay to post the scenarios as long as I gave acb3 credit where due: so kudos to him for developing the original scenario template, particularly the composition of the IJN fleet.

There is one bug I haven't been able to work out but its a minor one: for some reason this version of the Nimitz doesn't like the KA-6D tanker or vice verca. The plane, once launched, will not recover aboard the carrier. If anyone knows or figures out what the issue is here, please let me know.

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: The Final Countdown - 7/9/2015 2:01:07 PM   
ojms

One thing I've noticed is that you aren't using the latest version of the CWDB and it looks like in the version you are using the KA-6D has a mistake that it doesn't have the carrier capable flag set.

If you update the DB this should fix this issue.

Cheers!

(in reply to jmarso)
Post #: 2
RE: The Final Countdown - 7/9/2015 2:13:12 PM   
ojms

Also in version 3 you need to enable nuclear weapons in the doctrine settings.

(in reply to ojms)
Post #: 3
RE: The Final Countdown - 7/9/2015 3:21:34 PM   
jmarso

The nuclear option should already be enabled in III, and player editable as well. The mission that is already set up is nuclear enabled, and there are 4 nuclear-armed Intruders in the air wing. (You only need 1, BTW). That should be working fine.

The database issue I'm going to leave alone- it was probably the current one when acb3 created the template, and I'm not sure what messing with it would do to the Japanese Fleet, airwing composition, etc. I'm not interested in a DB update if it means I have to rebuild the whole thing from scratch. I might do a test run here sometime just to see what happens, but ultimately the KA-6D thing is not an overall big deal.

(in reply to ojms)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Mods and Scenarios >> The Final Countdown Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI