Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

OOB window suggestions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> OOB window suggestions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
OOB window suggestions - 7/12/2015 12:44:06 AM   
profanicus

I'm new to the game (loving it btw), so this has probably come up somewhere before and I missed it. Apologies if that is the case. :)

So, the OOB window is great for tracking the groups of units or tasks in play and I like keeping it open for this purpose. However, it has some clunkiness to it that could be improved:

1. The window takes over focus. Most other windows still allow the game's hotkeys to function, such as the game speed controls, or toggling other windows. This is not the case with the OOB window. Even pressing 'O' to close the window doesn't work as it does with others in the game. Game hotkeys should still work when this window has focus.
*edit - Game hotkeys seem to be working for me with the window open now! So I guess it's just the 'O' key to toggle the window closed that doesn't work.

2. Game changes are not reflected - if I change a group name or un-assign a unit from a mission, you have to close/open the OOB window to update the data. The data should update whilst the window is open.

3. Collapse/expand status is not remembered - if I collapse/expand some groups using the little 'minus/plus' buttons, I'd prefer it if they were in the same state the next time I opened the window. Similarly, it should remember the tab I was on as well. Some programs also allow you to use the modifier keys (ctrl,alt) to expand/collapse all sub-groups at once, maybe this would be handy too.

4. Right click does nothing - it would be awesome if right-click worked on the units in the OOB to bring up the orders menu, just like it does on the units on the map. Then you could order units from the OOB window itself.

5. Bonus - being able to dock the window to the left side of the screen, like the Unit Status/Doctrine/EMCON panel. :)

While I'm on the topic of windows, one other thing - the database window has this annoying thing where it loses focus in regards to mouse-wheel scrolling once you hit the top or bottom of the scroll range. So if you scroll to the bottom of a DB entry for example, you have to click the window again to be able to scroll back up with the mouse wheel.

Hope these suggestions are ok - cheers for the game and thanks for reading.

< Message edited by profanicus -- 7/12/2015 1:58:35 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: OOB window suggestions - 7/12/2015 1:24:53 AM   
thewood1

"While I'm on the topic of windows, one other thing - the database window has this annoying thing where it loses focus in regards to mouse-wheel scrolling once you hit the top or bottom of the scroll range. So if you scroll to the bottom of a DB entry for example, you have to click the window again to be able to scroll back up with the mouse wheel."

I mentioned this within a couple days of release. I have just come to live with it. There were some changes in one of the releases that did improve it somewhat to what it is today.

(in reply to profanicus)
Post #: 2
RE: OOB window suggestions - 7/12/2015 2:26:09 AM   
profanicus

Oh! That doesn't bode so well. I guess no-one really likes working on UI stuff when there are other more exciting things to do. :)

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 3
RE: OOB window suggestions - 7/12/2015 3:47:30 AM   
mikmykWS

Added to our request lists

Thanks guys!

Mike

(in reply to profanicus)
Post #: 4
RE: OOB window suggestions - 7/13/2015 1:45:17 AM   
Casinn

quote:

ORIGINAL: profanicus

Oh! That doesn't bode so well. I guess no-one really likes working on UI stuff when there are other more exciting things to do. :)

They have done a ton of work on the ui in the time I've had game, but the amount of ideas > time in the year.
I like your #4 suggestion a lot, orders from OOB page.

(in reply to profanicus)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> OOB window suggestions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI