Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Il-2 and Il-10 as attack bombers?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> Il-2 and Il-10 as attack bombers? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Il-2 and Il-10 as attack bombers? - 7/14/2015 9:26:12 PM   
bomccarthy

Quick question regarding late ’45 Soviet aircraft – the Il-2 and Il-10 are classified as light level bombers. This means that they carry half their normal bombload at 1,000 feet (and only strafe when set to 100 feet, I think). Would it screw up any game dynamics if they were reclassified as attack bombers? I don’t know much about their real-life capabilities, but their reputation would seem to fit that of attack bombers.

In my stock Scenario 6 game (now Dec ’45) against the AI, I have four Il-10 units set to low naval attacks at 100 feet from Fusan, attacking MTBs in Fukuoka and Nagasaki. Since the pilots aren’t trained in either low naval or strafing, they rarely hit anything, but I also noticed that they are only dropping a single 250kg bomb (normal Il-10 load is 4x250kg bombs, while extended load is 2x250kg). Fukuoka is within the normal range of the Il-10, while Nagasaki is extended range. As attack bombers, they could be set to 1,000 feet and drop a full bombload while also strafing.

Any thoughts?
Post #: 1
RE: Il-2 and Il-10 as attack bombers? - 7/15/2015 1:35:20 AM   
towtow59_MatrixForum

It should work, but you will need to be mindful of attack bombers tendencies, i.e. that they go on strafing runs at any altitude of 6k or less. This can cost you a lot of aircraft if you forget about it.

(in reply to bomccarthy)
Post #: 2
RE: Il-2 and Il-10 as attack bombers? - 7/15/2015 7:04:31 AM   
Barb

I would not be very afraid of that. Ruskies have a crapload of Il-2s, and they are heavily armored.
I would also say their attack profile fits more to "attack bomber" than to "light bomber". They surely used their wing cannons - in either flak-suppression around target or against target itself - be it tanks or trucks or infantry...

(in reply to towtow59_MatrixForum)
Post #: 3
RE: Il-2 and Il-10 as attack bombers? - 7/15/2015 9:36:00 AM   
towtow59_MatrixForum

True, but it is something to keep in mind, also attack bombers especially against ground targets tend to lose large numbers of pilots. Though as you said the Russians get plenty of Il-2's, they can still run out, or at least run out of good pilots for them.

(in reply to Barb)
Post #: 4
RE: Il-2 and Il-10 as attack bombers? - 7/15/2015 7:12:20 PM   
bomccarthy

I'm always careful about attacking ground targets at less then 8k. However, attack bombers do reasonably well against MTBs, which are damn hard to hit. I thought that Il-2s and Il-10s were used exclusively at very low levels, but I don't know what their common load was at various altitudes. I got the inspiration from AndyMac's new scenario, where he reclassified Beaufighters as attack bombers, better reflecting how they were commonly used in real life. I suspect that the Mosquito fighter bombers might also be candidates for attack bombers.

(in reply to towtow59_MatrixForum)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> Il-2 and Il-10 as attack bombers? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI