Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Back for the First Time – Allied AAR vs. AI - War in the Pacific: Admirals Edition

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Back for the First Time – Allied AAR vs. AI - War in the Pacific: Admirals Edition Page: <<   < prev  16 17 [18] 19 20   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Back for the First Time – Allied AAR vs. AI - War i... - 7/24/2018 5:30:31 PM   
Macclan5

quote:

ORIGINAL: Schlussel

SE Asia/China:

... A little less than half of the Allied force will advance on Saigon, while the rest will head southwest and aid in the drive on Singapore. Railroads in this area will really help the shuffling of troops once I determine where the enemy concentrations are.

Nice updates thanks.

This is very interesting and I am curious what forces you brought to the table.

Perhaps a mini OOB ?

The "double pronged approach" is very seductive to the Allied Supreme Commander but I wonder if it is a bit of a Pyrrhic victory tactic .... in some senses.

I am interested in others view points... so please opine

1) French Indo China may turn out to be an hallow husk - a mere shell. A concentrated Allied Army cuts through like a hot knife and butter - the old analogy. Very satisfying advance.

Then unexpectedly a number of garrison requirements pop up and you have to plan and move back troops / garrisons from India / Burma to fill them. You advance only to dilute your spearhead....and it takes time to build up if you intend to march on to Victory in China with this spearhead.

2) The march to Singapore also seems to come off easily... at first.

The the AI will deploy some very entrenched and significant forces at key choke points that are difficult to surround, could have sea borne supply, and ... well frankly the AI at any level seems to fight well on defense... it is the 43 / 44 counterattacks that often frustrate AI detractors.

The reason I solicit your opinion (s) is the interestingly each has "the ultimate award"

Indo-China >> Hong Kong >> Shanghai are some of the most valuable hexes on the map esp Shanghai as I recall

Malaysia >> Singapore >> on to Palemebang again some of the most valuable hexes on the map esp Singapore as I recall

It appears to me frankly that the game is very balanced and will permit both in due time as reinforcements come along in late 44 and 45. Another Indian Division or 2 and a Para division as well.... for example.

A People that values its privileges above it's principles will soon loose both. Dwight D Eisenhower.

(in reply to Schlussel)
Post #: 511
RE: Back for the First Time – Allied AAR vs. AI - War i... - 7/24/2018 6:12:05 PM   
jwolf

Schlussel is still pretty early in his game. I expect he will be able to do both Vietnam and Malaya/Singapore, in some combination, in plenty of time so that both of these areas contribute meaningfully to the ongoing Allied cause. Singapore can be tough to crack but everything else in Malaya and Vietnam should go pretty easily. Also he should have some smaller units available for garrisons where they are needed; he just has to plan for that up front.

(in reply to Macclan5)
Post #: 512
RE: Back for the First Time – Allied AAR vs. AI - War i... - 7/27/2018 5:09:02 AM   
Schlussel

quote:

ORIGINAL: jwolf

That was a bit embarrassing at Morotai. I hope you can seal the door shut this time for sure. Jolo is a really good base.

Totally agree with you here. I felt I had the base in the bag and took my foot off the pedal...that's all on me. However 3 Fletchers should have been able to catch a juicy slow moving transport TF. (They actually did have two intercepts, but both times the Japanese force evaded the Allied DDs...unacceptable) To rectify the situation, I have a second fast TF (with cruiser support) inbound, and the offending TF commander has been since reassigned to something more worthy of his low aggression skills. He is now commanding a cargo TF hauling rubber dog excrement outta Rangoon.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Macclan5

Nice updates thanks.

This is very interesting and I am curious what forces you brought to the table.

Perhaps a mini OOB ?

The "double pronged approach" is very seductive to the Allied Supreme Commander but I wonder if it is a bit of a Pyrrhic victory tactic .... in some senses.

Heres a quick rundown of the primary combat forces in SE Asia:

Group A - 3,000AV [Malayan Force] - Prep is 42 to high 70's for Singapore
251 Recce Bn.
72nd British Bde.
14th Chindit Bde.
23rd Chindit Bde.
22nd East African Bde.
25th Australian Bde.
63rd Indian Bde.
26th Indian Div.
5th Indian Div.
23rd Indian Div.
6th Australian Div.
9th Australian Div.

Group B - 2,900 AV [Saigon Force] - Prep is 68 to low 80s for Saigon
2nd Recce Regiment
268th Motorised Bde.
Provisional Tank Bde.
18th Australian Bde.
21st Australian Bde.
45th Indian Bde.
16th Chindit Bde.
4th British Bde.
5th British Bde.
6th British Bde.
29th British Bde.
53rd British Bde.
54th British Bde.
55th British Bde.
25th Indian Div.
20th Indian Div.

Group C - 600 AV [Eastern Indochina] Prep is 35-55 for Haiphong
44th Indian Bde.
88th Indian Bde.
111th Chindit Bde.
44th Calvary Reg.
Guides Calvary Reg.
+2,500 AV of Chinese troops approaching Haiphong from the East

I think I have more than is needed to take Saigon, however my plan is to overwhelm the city quickly and then transfer these troops to the Malaya and Haiphong theatres, utilizing the excellent rail network in SE asia.

quote:

Schlussel is still pretty early in his game. I expect he will be able to do both Vietnam and Malaya/Singapore, in some combination, in plenty of time so that both of these areas contribute meaningfully to the ongoing Allied cause. Singapore can be tough to crack but everything else in Malaya and Vietnam should go pretty easily. Also he should have some smaller units available for garrisons where they are needed; he just has to plan for that up front.

I put priority on indochina (specifically Saigon and Cam Ranh Bay) because both of these bases have excellent ports and their proximity to shippping lanes will help isolate the home islands from the DEI. As you mentioned, I have brought along small forces (4th Assam rifles Btn, 2nd King Own, etc.) to be able to garrison cities that require it, although I have not ran into any in indochina as of yet.

< Message edited by Schlussel -- 7/27/2018 5:11:28 AM >

You say we're surrounded?
Excellent!
That means we can attack in any direction.

(in reply to jwolf)
Post #: 513
RE: Back for the First Time – Allied AAR vs. AI - War i... - 7/27/2018 2:46:28 PM   
Macclan5

quote:

Yes yes sorry - not being specific enough.

I am certain he can accomplish both 'in time'. No question.. he has noted above many Brigades in tow for garrisoning but admits some such as the 4th Aslem are not brought forward.

My broader questions is 'why split the spearhead now".

The broader question is not just at Sch.... at anyone following the AAR.

Both directions have rewards in terms of Victory Points or even more abstract prestige. Singapore / Shanghai being the plums.

I don't think there is a wrong answer - Sch has indicated targeting Saigon as a port - fair...

But its still hard to get ships to Saigon except around the Cape of Singapore

My personal opinion...note opinion only...

1) Leave enough to hold at Bangkok and create a DMZ buffer zone..
2) Focus all in on Singapore.

A People that values its privileges above it's principles will soon loose both. Dwight D Eisenhower.

(in reply to jwolf)
Post #: 514
RE: Back for the First Time – Allied AAR vs. AI - War i... - 7/27/2018 4:34:28 PM   
Bif1961

So Rangoon is where rubber dog dodo comes from? I was looking for a new supplier since they closed all the Spencer stores a decade ago.

(in reply to Macclan5)
Post #: 515
RE: Back for the First Time – Allied AAR vs. AI - War i... - 7/27/2018 5:36:06 PM   
jwolf

Macclan: it works both ways. You want to take the good ports such as Saigon and Cam Ranh Bay both to deny them to the enemy and, eventually, use them for your own ships. Singapore will be difficult to take (well, it was in my game) but not too hard to render it unusable to the other side. At that point any Allied ports in the Gulf of Siam or South Vietnam can be put into real service.

Further -- I'm not sure if this makes any sense but it's what I saw in my Allied offensive in this theater -- a really large army can't operate very effectively in Malaya. Until you get to a really hardened target, normally Singapore, you don't need the whole army there. Indochina in comparison is much more wide open although movement is still generally slow there.

Disclaimer: my game, as is Schlussel's, is against the AI. Against a genuine opponent maybe things would be a lot different.

(in reply to Bif1961)
Post #: 516
RE: Back for the First Time – Allied AAR vs. AI - War i... - 7/28/2018 6:26:21 PM   
Schlussel

quote:

Yes yes sorry - not being specific enough.

I am certain he can accomplish both 'in time'. No question.. he has noted above many Brigades in tow for garrisoning but admits some such as the 4th Aslem are not brought forward.

My broader questions is 'why split the spearhead now".

The broader question is not just at Sch.... at anyone following the AAR.

Both directions have rewards in terms of Victory Points or even more abstract prestige. Singapore / Shanghai being the plums.

I don't think there is a wrong answer - Sch has indicated targeting Saigon as a port - fair...

But its still hard to get ships to Saigon except around the Cape of Singapore

My personal opinion...note opinion only...

1) Leave enough to hold at Bangkok and create a DMZ buffer zone..
2) Focus all in on Singapore.

Geeze MacClan, don't you understand?!? My tactics are flawless and my AAR is no place for dissenting oppininons. I know I'm fighting to preserve democracy, but I refuse to practice it when holding a council of war.

Seriously though, you make good points as usual. I took a look and the cities that require a garrison in Indochina are:
Saigon (120)
Hanoi (40)
Haiphong (40)
Quinhon (10)

I planned on maintaining a presence in Saigon and the Hanoi/Haiphong area. So really the only incoinvienence garrison requirements cause is in Quinhon. I have a small unit that is heading that direction and will camp out there for the remainder of the war.

Regarding 'splitting the spearhead', I agree this is an experiment in scarcity, and in my case, I am slowing my campaign down the Malayan Penninsula in favor of capturing Saigon/Cam Ranh Bay. My reasons for this are three-fold:

1.Saigon and Cam Ranh Bay will serve to effectively blockade the DEI trade routes through the South China Sea. As you stated, the British will have a hard time making the voyage from their bases in and around Colombo, however I am content keeping them in that area, and letting the American Navy handle the South China Sea blockade.

2.Capturing Indochina will allow the British/Indian forces to assist in the destruction of Japanese military presence in SW China (Hanoi/Haiphong). This will allow Chinese forces to then focus on recapturing their coastline (including the Shanghai plum), and hopefully this will also allow more supply to flow into China as well.

3.The advance down the Malayan penninsula is inherently slow anyway. Specificly I'm talking about he remote area between Chumphon and Surat Thani that has no roads whatsoever. It's got a railroad, and while that helps supply, it doesn't make LCU movement any faster. What is nice is once the Allies capture Surat Thani, units will be able to use the railroad to move through that stretch of road-less jungle with ease. My plan is to have indochina secured before this occurs, and the nice railroad network in indochina will allow me to shift reinforcements back to Malaya in time to expliot the miltiple axis advance opportunities that occur once the penninsula widens at Singora.

Thats the plan anyway, and this is my first experience with it, so I will undoutebly encounter issues with my course of action. My goal is to avoid getting an email from MacClan in mid-1944 saying "I told you so", (although he could have said this many times in the past).

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bif1961

So Rangoon is where rubber dog dodo comes from? I was looking for a new supplier since they closed all the Spencer stores a decade ago.

Actually all cheap crap comes from China, so untill a major Chinese port is recaptured, the Burma road is our only reliable source.

quote:

Macclan: it works both ways. You want to take the good ports such as Saigon and Cam Ranh Bay both to deny them to the enemy and, eventually, use them for your own ships. Singapore will be difficult to take (well, it was in my game) but not too hard to render it unusable to the other side. At that point any Allied ports in the Gulf of Siam or South Vietnam can be put into real service.

Further -- I'm not sure if this makes any sense but it's what I saw in my Allied offensive in this theater -- a really large army can't operate very effectively in Malaya. Until you get to a really hardened target, normally Singapore, you don't need the whole army there. Indochina in comparison is much more wide open although movement is still generally slow there.

Disclaimer: my game, as is Schlussel's, is against the AI. Against a genuine opponent maybe things would be a lot different.

Well put jwolf, I was only thinking about what I could glean freom capturing Saigon/Cam Ranh Bay, but theres also the value of denying those ports to the Japanese. And like you said, this is an AI game, so I'm unsure how it would translate when playaing against another humanoid.

Excellent!

(in reply to jwolf)
Post #: 517
RE: Back for the First Time – Allied AAR vs. AI - War i... - 7/28/2018 6:48:46 PM   
BBfanboy

The places the AI will try to defend are defined in scripts, so many of the places you attack will result in no reaction but a few key points will. Part of the script-writer's headache is that there are not enough forces to defend every place so he would have to guesstimate how many should result in counterattack and then figure out which ones to put on the list.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Schlussel)
Post #: 518
RE: Back for the First Time – Allied AAR vs. AI - War i... - 7/28/2018 10:28:09 PM   
jwolf

I think Phnom Penh also needs a garrison. Not sure how to spell that thing.

Also if your troops walk along a RR they do move a bit faster than with no path at all, but not nearly as fast as on a road.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 519
RE: Back for the First Time – Allied AAR vs. AI - War i... - 7/29/2018 7:45:05 PM   
Schlussel

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

The places the AI will try to defend are defined in scripts, so many of the places you attack will result in no reaction but a few key points will. Part of the script-writer's headache is that there are not enough forces to defend every place so he would have to guesstimate how many should result in counterattack and then figure out which ones to put on the list.

Morotai must definately be one of those bases on that counter attack list. Twice the Japanese have reinforced their garrison, and they have tried resupplying at least 5 times. While it hasn't blunted my offensive into the Celebes, its definately delaying it a bit, as I would really like to have Morotai to help subdue Ternate.

quote:

I think Phnom Penh also needs a garrison. Not sure how to spell that thing.

Also if your troops walk along a RR they do move a bit faster than with no path at all, but not nearly as fast as on a road.

Good catch, yes Phnom Penh (you spelled it right...I had to look on the map) has a 20 AV garrison requirement.

I'm getting 4 miles per day from my INF units, and 3 miles per day from my ART units. It might be slightly faster than without a road, but its still slooooooooooooooooow. I'll be glad when I can take Surat Thani and my troops can ride the bullet train through this area.

< Message edited by Schlussel -- 7/29/2018 11:43:57 PM >

Excellent!

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 520
RE: Back for the First Time – Allied AAR vs. AI - War i... - 7/29/2018 8:55:21 PM   
RangerJoe

I do believe that walking along the railroad is like walking along a trail - which is better than having to make your own trail.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to Schlussel)
Post #: 521
RE: Back for the First Time – Allied AAR vs. AI - War i... - 7/29/2018 11:39:41 PM   
Schlussel

Hi Rangerjoe! That makes sense. I have never quantified this before, so I compared movement rates for different hex conditions. See below. Note: All LCUs are INF units in COMBAT move mode.

Unit Type------------Hex---------Road/Rail----Miles/Turn
53rd British Bde.----Jungle-----------None--------------3
3rd Indian Bde.-----Jungle---------Minor Rail-----------4
50th Chinese Div.---Forest*------Secondary Road-----8
45th Indian Bde.----Jungle---------Main Road---------11

*Forest has the same movement rate as a jungle hex

So moving through jungle with a rail [4 miles/turn] is slightly faster than with nothing [3 miles/turn]; however, it is half the rate of going through a similar hex with a secondary road (aka trail). Like you said its better than making your own trail, although I'd really love to have an actual trail right about now. I know, cry me a river right?

Excellent!

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 522
RE: Back for the First Time – Allied AAR vs. AI - War i... - 8/7/2018 12:33:27 PM   
Schlussel

Week 105: December 8th – December 14th 1943
North Pacific:

No IJN activity.

Central Pacific:
The enemy on Tinian is beginning to crack, as forts drop to 3 and the enemy’s AV is almost down to 50. 5 Liberator squadrons (operating from Guam) and 2 BB task forces are continuing to pound Tinian daily. Another deliberate assault is on tap for early next week.

Good news on Morotai, the Allied navy blockade force does its job, catching an IJN resupply mission, sinking 3 AKs. The Allied AV advantage is about 690:393, but they refrain from any kind of assault. Instead they opt to rest up while 3BBs bombard from Talaud-Eilanden.

Southern Pacific:
No IJN activity.

South-West Pacific:
IJA presence is isolated around Ataipe and Wewak. Enemy garrisons are without supply and subject to daily bombing raids. This week a Marine regiment lands at Ataipe to force the issue. thedre are a reported 14K troops at Ataipe, but initial bombardment results suggests the Japanese are starving and ready to break.

B-24 Liberator squadrons on Manus and Mussau are continuing to hit Truk. Damage is unknown, but about 10 planes (mostly fighters) are destroyed on the ground this week.

DEI/Philippines:
The breakout from Cotabato is underway, with the northern force taking Oroquieta on its way to Cagayan. The 33rd Inf division is now finishing debarking at Cotabato, and lead elements are already starting the march on Davao . Intel on Davao shows 15K troops.

The Jolo invasion force (4 INF, 1 ARM, 1 ART) is now loading into transports at Rabaul. Transport time should take a about a week and a half.

In the DEI, no IJN activity noted.

SE Asia/China:
Allies continue marching through the jungle on their way towards Chumphon. Lead elements should arrive mid-week, while the bulk of the force won’t reach Chumphon till next week.

Lots of progress in Thailand. In the north, the Allies have captured Vinh, and are continuing northeast towards Hanoi/Haiphong. In the midlands, the Allies have captured Pakse, and are now on their way to the coast. The southerly force takes a few vacant bases along the coast (Kompong Trach and Rachgia) while waiting for the main body to rail into Phnom Penh. In related news, Phnom Penh and Kompong Chhnang receive engineers and base forces to begin building out the facilities. Fighters (mostly Hurricanes) also arrive at both bases, and just in time, as the Japanese begin a large air campaign in the area. The Allied fighters are being swarmed by large escorted air raids. That changes on the last day of the week, as 4 squadrons of Spitfire V’s and 2 squadrons of P-51 fly in, and carnage ensues. Approximately 120 enemy planes (mostly fighters) are destroyed by AA and Allied CAP over Phnom Penh. We’ll see if the Japanese give it another go tomorrow. They still have a reported 250 fighters/50 bombers at Saigon.

In China, the Chinese continue advancing on LangSon in western part of the country. No enemy LCUs have been spotted.

IJN Watch:
-1 CV sighted at Saigon early in the week, but this is most likely FOW

Notable Base Captures:
- Luangprabang [Indochina] captured by the Allies (12/10)
- Pakse [Indochina] captured by the Allies (12/12)
- Oroquieta [Philippines] captured by the Allies (12/12)
- Vinh [Thailand] captured by the Allies (12/13)
- Kompong Trach [Indochina] captured by the Allies (12/13)
- Rachgia [Indochina] captured by the Allies (12/14)

Campaign Overview:
Aircraft Losses to date [change]:
Allies: 8,342 [+87]

Japanese: 23,941 [+454]

Ship Losses to date [change]:
Allies: 650 [+9]
Notables: CV Enterprise, CV Victorious, CVE Copahee, CVE Nassau, CVE Corregidor, CA Astoria, CA Portland, CA Adelaide, CL Durban, CL Sumatra, CL Java

Japanese: 1,389 [+3]
Notables: CV Soryu, CV Kaga, CV Junyo, CV Akagi, CVL Shoho , CV Shokaku, CV Hiyo, CVL Zuiho, CVL Ryuho, CVE Taiyo, CVE Hosho, BB Kongo, BB Fuso, BB Mutsu, BB Kirishima, BB Nagato, BB Haruna, BB Hiei, BB Yamato, CA Mogami, CA Mikuma, CA Suzya, CA Aoba.

Army Losses to date [change]:
Allies: 10,950 [+12]
Japanese: 10,453 [+137]
A/J Ratio: 1.05 to 1

VP Totals [change]:
Allies: 64,305 [+692]
Japanese: 33,494 [+92]
A/J Ratio: 1.92 to 1

Operation Aperture:
Phase 1:
-Assault & Capture Guam [COMPLETE]
-Assault & Capture Tinian [AV 327:53, Forts at 3]
-Assault & Capture Saipan [AV 815:429, Forts unknown]

Phase 2:
-Assault & Capture Marcus

Operation Chimera:
Phase 1A:
-Assault & Capture Cotabato [COMPLETE]
-Secure Mindano [IN PROGRESS - 33rd Inf at Cotabato, marching on Davao]

Phase 1B:
-Assault & Capture Balikpapan
-Assault & Capture Jolo [IN PROGRESS – Units loading at Rabaul]
-Reinforce Brunei

Phase 1C:
-Assault & Capture Watampone
-Assault & Capture Kolaka
-Assault & Capture Makassar
-Assault & Capture Kendari

Other Notes:
-Good day in the air at the end of the week (see below), 90% of enemy losses occurred over Phnom Penh.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Schlussel -- 8/8/2018 1:36:10 AM >

Excellent!

(in reply to Schlussel)
Post #: 523
RE: Back for the First Time – Allied AAR vs. AI - War i... - 8/7/2018 6:19:47 PM   
BBfanboy

Congrats on your result in the air war this report. 13:1 is a ratio worth a drink or two!

For your invasion of Jolo ... 4 infantrymen? 4 Companies of infantry? 4 Regiments? Brigades? Divisions? Trying to get an idea of the scale of the invasion.

Re: the DEI/Philippines report - the bracketed mention of Rachgia and Kompong Trach is misplaced - s/b with the SE Asia report.

Looking forward to hearing your progress now that the empire's eggshell has crumbled in so many places!

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Schlussel)
Post #: 524
RE: Back for the First Time – Allied AAR vs. AI - War i... - 8/8/2018 1:32:53 AM   
Schlussel

Thanks BBF, yeah it was nice to see all those planes go down in flames.

4 Regiments of infantry are loaded up...what you couldn't read my mind?

Good catch, I'll fix my last post. I posted that in the wee hours of the morning and didn't have my coffee yet...that my only excuse.

Excellent!

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 525
RE: Back for the First Time – Allied AAR vs. AI - War i... - 8/10/2018 4:05:00 PM   
Macclan5

quote:

Geeze MacClan, don't you understand?!? My tactics are flawless and my AAR is no place for dissenting oppininons. I know I'm fighting to preserve democracy, but I refuse to practice it when holding a council of war.

I have little evidence to stand upon sir ! I submit to the judgement of Supreme Allied Commander in Chief All People Ordnance Places (SACCAPOP )

This is a great AAR with many measurable milestone statistics including supply etc. Indeed you are running a great campaign and very detailed results.

I was evoking a bit of a war council for opinions.

When Allied Commanders do focus on a Burma front with success (verses AI or PBEM) - which corner do you turn and maintain balance of concentration of force? Is such a decision needed? Even through 1945 'potentially' some sort of decision is being made.

It will always be situational of course but Patton or Montgomery or Broad Front ??

I suppose other 'political considerations' not in the game engine come into play. The importance of Singapore to the British for example. US commitments to China and CKS.

Personally in my play through I focused on Singapore 1st..holding for many months at Bangkok and a DMZ until I could build up additional forces... but that may be my 'style' as opposed to a correct decision.

< Message edited by Macclan5 -- 8/10/2018 4:06:02 PM >

(in reply to Schlussel)
Post #: 526
RE: Back for the First Time – Allied AAR vs. AI - War i... - 8/16/2018 2:19:54 AM   
Schlussel

quote:

I have little evidence to stand upon sir ! I submit to the judgement of Supreme Allied Commander in Chief All People Ordnance Places (SACCAPOP )

I see you are wise in the ways of diplomacy. To properly utilize your skills for this war effort, you are hereby promoted to Allied Supreme Strategic Kommandant of Informational Service Systems and Redundancy [ASSKISSR]. I have the utmost confidence in your abilities to fulfill the duties of this critical post.

Seriously though, I appreciate the differing oppinions, I can think of now better way to get exposure to different strategies and considerations. In my situation, I am trying to prosecute a war on a broad font while also severing the Japanese supply line to the DEI. My plan is to capture Saigon relatively quickly, so that a good portion of those forces will be able to rail westward to the Malayan penninsula and throw their weight into the fight when the terrain and raod network allow for a faster advance. Right now the enemy that is opposing us at Chumphon is fairly weak, so the biggest obstacle in Malaya is the terrain, and having more troops won't make them go any faster. Since those troops won't help in Malaya (for the time being) I figure I can use their services at Saigon to accelerate its demise. I'll admit that my plan may be a little ambitious, but I want to see what the limits of the Allied war machine are. Even if the wheels fall off the wagon, it will be a great learning experience in the land combat system and strategic redeployment.

Your political considerations are interesting, as most of the forces in Indochina are British or Commonwealth forces. Capturing Singapore would definately be desireable, but I could make the case that clearing Indochina would expedite the liberation of Hong Kong, which may also be of importance to the British. I wonder if that would entice them, to adopt my plan? I'm no expert on the politics and diplomacy of the time, so I will have to defer to those who are.

So on your playthrough, how did things work out? Did it take long to build up the required forces?

Excellent!

(in reply to Macclan5)
Post #: 527
RE: Back for the First Time – Allied AAR vs. AI - War i... - 8/16/2018 1:19:43 PM   
jwolf

quote:

Allied Supreme Strategic Kommandant of Informational Service Systems and Redundancy [ASSKISSR]

With that title I think you are risking a mutiny.

In my game the Japanese had huge air forces, first at Bangkok, then Saigon, and then Samah in order as I progressed through that theater. After neutralizing (and later taking) Singapore, I had a middle sized Allied CV force active to assist with operations near Vietnam and for a landing at Samah. The Japanese lost about 500 planes when that base fell, and that really helped to make the line of communication secure from Vietnam well into South China.

(in reply to Schlussel)
Post #: 528
RE: Back for the First Time – Allied AAR vs. AI - War i... - 9/17/2018 6:41:27 AM   
Schlussel

Week 106: December 15th – December 21st 1943
North Pacific:

No IJN activity.

Central Pacific:
This week’s attack finally breaks the Japanese defending Tinian….with a 5:1 result overpowering the remaining two forts. The rest of the weeks is spent repairing the base (everything was at 100 damage), and whittling down the Japanese resistance on the island. At the end of the week, the runway is down to 78% damage and the enemy AV is down to 10.

Allied air and sea bombardments shift focus from Tinian to Saipan, where the Allies enjoy a 819:435 raw AV advantage, but each days land bombardment costs the Allies more casualties than the Japanese. We’ll see how the disruptive effect of daily air/sea bombardments effect this.

An Allied deliberate attack at Morotai bears fruit, as the Allies inflict 1,400 casualties (9 destroyed/133 disabled squads) at a cost of 490 casualties (8 destroyed/109 disabled squads). Although the squad count was pretty even, equal reduction works in the Allies favor. Plus, the supply shortage means those disabled Japanese squads are as good as destroyed.

Southern Pacific:
No IJN activity.

South-West Pacific:
The 3rd Marine regiment storms ashore at Ataipe (fully prepped) and Japanese resistance crumbles in the absence of supply. The shattered defenders retreat to Dagua as the noose tightens around this area of Japanese resistance.
B-24 Liberator squadrons on Manus and Mussau begin shifting to Talaud-Eilanden to support the Mindano offensive, although a few squadrons stay to keep the pressure on Truk.

DEI/Philippines:
The liberation of Mindano is in full swing. The northern force reached Cagayan, and preliminary attacks indicate the base may fall as early as next week. Cagayan has a nice airfield that will come in handy as the Allies move north through the Philippines.

SE Asia/China:
Enemy resistance at Chumphon proves to be brittle, as the lead elements of the Allied advance are able to dislodge them. The Japanese retreat towards Victoria Point, followed by a small detachment of 2 Allied brigades. The rest of the Allied force continues toward the important objective of Surat Thani.

In Thailand, the northern Allied force nears Hanoi/Haiphong. Near Bangkok, a sizeable Japanese force (21 support units) has been isolated north of Chanthaburi. In the South, Phnom Penh and Kompong Chhnang sees large air battles this week, with Allied air beginning to get the upper hand. Further south, Saigon is besieged by and advance group of Allied forces. A probing attack reveals the Allies already have a 363:61 raw AV advantage, and forts are only at 3. Next week, the Allies receive a sizeable reinforcement group, and it may be enough to secure Saigon. If this occurs, half of the force will be sent west to assist the Malaya campaign, while the rest will conduct mop up operations and then support the drive on Haiphong/Hanoi.

In China, the Chinese capture LangSon. Now the Japanese are holed up in the Haiphong/Hanoi area. In the eastern part of the country, a general advance is in process in the Nanchang/Wuchang area.

IJN Watch:
-No capital ship sightings this week.

Notable Base Captures:
- Bien Hoa [Indochina] captured by the Allies (12/15)
- LangSon [China] captured by the Allies (12/18)
- Tinian [Marianas] captured by the Allies (12/18)
- Chanthaburi [Thailand] captured by the Allies (12/18)
- Chumphon [Thailand] captured by the Allies (12/19)
- Kratie [Indochina] captured by the Allies (12/19)
- Soc Trang [Indochina] captured by the Allies (12/20)

Campaign Overview:
Allies: 8,407 [+65]

Japanese: 24,473 [+532]

Allies: 651 [+1]
Notables: CV Enterprise, CV Victorious, CVE Copahee, CVE Nassau, CVE Corregidor, CA Astoria, CA Portland, CA Adelaide, CL Durban, CL Sumatra, CL Java

Japanese: 1,398 [+9]
Notables: CV Soryu, CV Kaga, CV Junyo, CV Akagi, CVL Shoho , CV Shokaku, CV Hiyo, CVL Zuiho, CVL Ryuho, CVE Taiyo, CVE Hosho, BB Kongo, BB Fuso, BB Mutsu, BB Kirishima, BB Nagato, BB Haruna, BB Hiei, BB Yamato, CA Mogami, CA Mikuma, CA Suzya, CA Aoba.

Allies: 10,981 [+31]
Japanese: 10,625 [+172]
A/J Ratio: 1.03 to 1

VP Totals [change]:
Allies: 65,664 [+1,359]
Japanese: 33,538 [+44]
A/J Ratio: 1.96 to 1

Operation Aperture:
Phase 1:
-Assault & Capture Tinian [COMPLETE]
-Assault & Capture Saipan [IN PROGRESS. AV 819:435, Forts unknown]

Phase 2:
-Assault & Capture Marcus

Operation Chimera:
Phase 1A:
-Secure Mindano [IN PROGRESS - 33rd Inf. Division marching on Davao]

Phase 1B:
-Assault & Capture Jolo [IN PROGRESS]
-Reinforce Brunei

Phase 1C:

Other Notes:
-Lots of good progress this week, both on and behind the frontlines. So far the allied supply infrastructure is keeping pace with the increased operational tempo.

Attachment (1)

Excellent!

(in reply to jwolf)
Post #: 529
RE: Back for the First Time – Allied AAR vs. AI - War i... - 10/6/2018 5:32:01 PM   
Schlussel

Week 107: December 22nd – December 28th 1943
North Pacific:

No IJN activity.

Central Pacific:
With the capture of Tinian last week, the focus shifts to base repair and reducing the remaining pocket of Japanese resistance. Results are encouraging so far. By the end of the week, the runway is fully repaired and the enemy AV is down to 5. The enemy troops are still fighting hard, so I’m not sure when they will succumb, but they aren’t impeding base repair/improvement efforts, so Allied command is not too worried about it.

Allied bomber and sea bombardments continue to hit Saipan, where the Allies enjoy a 667:326 raw AV advantage after the first major Allied attack. Said attack went surprisingly well, taking out 93 enemy squads at the cost of 60 Allied. Both sides’ losses were mostly disablements (95%). The big news was that forts were @ 9, though the first attack succeeded in knocking those down to 8. A very formidable challenge lies ahead, but we’ll keep the pressure on...can’t eat an elephant all at once.

Allies capture Taongi, a small island north of the Marshalls. Once the airfield is operational, it will help seal the northern route into the Marshalls, and area that small IJN fast transports have been known to frequent. I’ve tried surface patrols, but enemy air from Wake and the Marshalls swarm all over them. Not many hits have been registered, but it burns through our AA ammo. Allied carrier strength is needed elsewhere, so a shoestring capture of Taongi seemed to be the best option. Troops were at about the 55-60 prep level, so there were some significant disablements, but I think it will be worth it.

On Morotai, the Allies have established a daily bombardment and air bombing cadence that seems to be bearing fruit. The Allied AV advantage is up to 489:79 (up from 532:204) and forts are finally down to zero. Another deliberate is scheduled for the 29th, which may be the final push needed to capture the base.

Southern Pacific:
No IJN activity.

South-West Pacific:
The isolated and starving enemy force is now holed up in Dagua and gets daily visits from about 80-110 Allied bombers (mostly Liberators). Combat reports from the air attacks reveal that the Japanese are a wreck. An Allied brigade is headed to Dagua, and will hopefully make short work of the enemy.

B-24 Liberator squadrons remaining on Manus and Mussau keep the pressure on Truk. Still getting a few enemy aircraft destroyed on the field, so AF attacks will continue.

DEI/Philippines:
The liberation of Mindano is progressing. The Allied force at Cagayan and southwest of Davao have elevated fatigue and disablements, so they are resting up and should be ready to resume offensive operations this upcoming week.
In the meantime, the Jolo operation nears its kickoff point. The aphibs have reached Talud-Eilanden and should make landfall in a few days.

SE Asia/China:
The going remains slow on the Malayan peninsula as Allied troops are schlepping their equipment through the jungle terrain. Progress is made though, the lead brigade reaches Victoria Point and will make a probing attack tomorrow. The advance to Surat Thani is slow, but without amphibious assets in the Gulf of Siam, this is how it’s got to be done. The good news is Surat has a developed road, so once it is captured, the advance will speed up somewhat.

In Thailand, the northern Allied force captures Hanoi easily. Haiphong presents a tougher nut to crack, as it is surrounded by rivers and has an estimated 30K troops present. Allied troops are following each other to ensure they all arrive at the same time. This should minimize the damage to the Allies that result from the auto shock that will inevitably occur.
The large Japanese force (21 support units) isolated north of Chanthaburi is being ground down. In the South, Christmas comes early for the Allies as Saigon falls. The spoils of war include 250K fuel and over 500K resources…there is even a small repair yard that may come in handy.

IJN Watch:
-No capital ship sightings this week.

Notable Base Captures:
- Taongi [Marshall Islands] captured by the Allies (12/24)
- Saigon [Indochina] captured by the Allies (12/24)
- Hanoi [Indochina] captured by the Allies (12/25)
- Nanchang [China] captured by the Allies (12/25)
- Dalat [Indochina] captured by the Allies (12/27)
- Lao Cai [China] captured by the Allies (12/28)

Campaign Overview:
Allies: 8,466 [+59]

Japanese: 24,726 [+253]

Allies: 653 [+2]
Notables: CV Enterprise, CV Victorious, CVE Copahee, CVE Corregidor, CVE Nassau, CVE St.Lo, 5 CA, 14 CL, 27 DD

Japanese: 1,417 [+19]
Notables: CV Akagi, CV Kaga, CV Hiryu, CV Hiyo, CV Junyo, CV Soryu, CV Shokaku, CV Zuikaku, CVL Shoho, CVL Ryuho, CVL Ryujo, CVL Zuiho, CVE Hosho, CVE Taiyo, BB Fuso, BB Haruna, BB Hiei, BB Kirishima, BB Kongo, BB Mutsu, BB Nagato, BB Yamato, 18 CA, 22 CL, 49 DD

Allies: 11,014 [+33]
Japanese: 10,866 [+231]
A/J Ratio: 1.01 to 1

VP Totals [change]:
Allies: 67,089 [+1,425]
Japanese: 33,618 [+80]
A/J Ratio: 1.99 to 1

Operation Aperture:
Phase 1:
-Assault & Capture Saipan [IN PROGRESS. AV 667:326 Advantage Allies, Forts at 8]

Phase 2:
-Assault & Capture Marcus [IN PROGRESS. 1st wave lands, AV 88:5 Advantage Allies, Forts at 2]

Operation Chimera:
Phase 1A:

Phase 1B:
-Assault & Capture Jolo [IN PROGRESS, Aphibs SW of Talaud-Eilanden]
-Reinforce Brunei

Phase 1C:

Other Notes:
-3 more enemy CV’s showed up on the loss report, all showing sunk dates coinciding with the Marianas CV clash of late October ’43.
-Allies are 150 points from the 2x VP threshold. VP’s aren’t everything in an AI game, but it’s nice to be able to use them to gauge my progress.

Excellent!

(in reply to Schlussel)
Post #: 530
RE: Back for the First Time – Allied AAR vs. AI - War i... - 10/21/2018 6:39:47 AM   
Schlussel

Situation Report – January 1st 1944

Central/North Pacific:

Capital Ships: 1-CVE, 2-BB @Pearl Harbor
Fuel Reserves: 4,668K @ Pearl Harbor
122K @ Ulithi
46K @ Guam
Near-Term Plans: Isolate Marshalls, secure Marianas, and secure a more direct supply line from Pearl Harbor.
Long Term Plans: Advance on Okinawa/Formosa.

SW Pacific:

Capital Ships: 6-CV, 10-CVE, 3-CVL, 13-BB
Fuel Reserves:
1,364K @ Noumea
1,197K @ Rabaul
366K @ Milne Bay
Near-Term Plans: Secure bases Borneo/Celebs/Mindano to assist cutting off oil/fuel from Japanese home islands.
Long Term Plans: Capture Java/Sumatra

SE Asia/China:

Capital Ships: 1-CV, 1-CVE @ Colombo
Fuel Reserves:
1,894K @ Colombo
1,093K @ Rangoon
300K @ Saigon
9K @ Bangkok
Near-Term Plans: Advance down Malaya Peninsula to threaten Singapore
Long Term Plans: Capture Singapore. Capture Java/Sumatra

Base Supply/Construction Status:
Babeldaob:
Port Size: 5.00 (MAX)
Airfield Size: 7.00 (MAX)
Supplies: 36K (6 Weeks of normal operations)

Bangkok:
Port Size: 6.87 (+0.78)
Airfield Size: 8.69 (+0.62)
Supplies: 67K (4 Weeks of normal operations)

Eniwetok:
Port Size: 5.00 (MAX)
Airfield Size: 2.61 (+0.34)
Supplies: 34K (18 Weeks of normal operations)

Guam:
Port Size: 5.00 (+1.48)
Airfield Size: 5.75 (+1.36)
Supplies: 85K (5 Weeks of normal operations)

Manus:
Port Size: 7.00 (MAX)
Airfield Size: 8.00 (MAX)
Supplies: 173K (40+ Weeks of normal operations)

Mussau:
Port Size: 4.00 (MAX)
Airfield Size: 8.00 (MAX)
Supplies: 388K (40+ Weeks of normal operations)

Pago-Pago:
Port Size: 4.44 (+0.11)
Airfield Size: 6.71 (+0.08)
Supplies: 37K (20+ Weeks of normal operations)

Pearl Harbor:
Port Size: 8.00 (MAX)
Airfield Size: 10.00 (MAX)
Supplies: 4,873K (100+ Weeks of normal operations)

Rabaul:
Port Size: 7.00 (MAX)
Airfield Size: 9.00 (MAX)
Supplies: 320K (10 Weeks of normal operations)

Rangoon:
Port Size: 9.00 (MAX)
Airfield Size: 9.00 (MAX)
Supplies: 166K (20+ Weeks of normal operations)

Saigon:
Port Size: 7.00
Airfield Size: 7.00
Damage: Port – 63 Airfield Service – 12 Airfield Runway - 13
Supplies: 5K (3 Weeks of normal operations)

Tinian:
Airfield Size: 7.00 (MAX)
Damage: Port – 53 Airfield Service – 0 Airfield Runway - 0
Supplies: 21K (10+ Weeks of normal operations)

Ulithi:
Port Size: 6.00 (+0.90)
Airfield Size: 1.93 (+0.24)
Supplies: 71K (10 Weeks of normal operations)

Yap:
Airfield Size: 6.00 (MAX)
Supplies: 20K (6 Weeks of normal operations)

< Message edited by Schlussel -- 10/21/2018 6:41:59 AM >

Excellent!

(in reply to Schlussel)
Post #: 531
RE: Back for the First Time – Allied AAR vs. AI - War i... - 10/22/2018 6:46:11 PM   
Taxcutter

Wow, Schussel! You are far head of me. End of Jan 44 and I've just re-taken Port Moresby and am oozing amoeba-like around Lae. The fight for Rangoon is beating up my Indian infantry to the point that after I take Rangoon (I HAVE isolated it) about all I can do is build up Rangoon, Bassien, and Pego to defend my Burma Road convoys and hope my modern USAAF fighters can kill off kamikazes fast enough.

In earlier games I've found post-Burma Road Chinese armies to be very handy and if O can take Canton/Hong Kong I'll run super-escorted convoys in and then the Chinese really take off.

We'll have to discuss force management some time. Iron Man may not have good pilot training but he has bottomless pools.

(in reply to Schlussel)
Post #: 532
RE: Back for the First Time – Allied AAR vs. AI - War i... - 10/25/2018 4:24:32 AM   
Schlussel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Taxcutter

Wow, Schussel! You are far head of me. End of Jan 44 and I've just re-taken Port Moresby and am oozing amoeba-like around Lae. The fight for Rangoon is beating up my Indian infantry to the point that after I take Rangoon (I HAVE isolated it) about all I can do is build up Rangoon, Bassien, and Pego to defend my Burma Road convoys and hope my modern USAAF fighters can kill off kamikazes fast enough.

In earlier games I've found post-Burma Road Chinese armies to be very handy and if O can take Canton/Hong Kong I'll run super-escorted convoys in and then the Chinese really take off.

We'll have to discuss force management some time. Iron Man may not have good pilot training but he has bottomless pools.

I don't know if its fair to compare your game to mine, you are facing ironman, who (as you have said) has a much more substantial order of battle. I think you are doing well to stem the tide of the enemy advance, and now you begin to reap the rewards of your efforts during the dark times of 1941-42.

As far as Burma goes, I was able to wipe out around 80K enemy troops by allowing them to besiege Akyab and then surrounding them Stallingrad-style. From there my advance was only limited by the road network. Rangoon fell realatively easily, but the Japanese got their act together at Moulmein. Moulmein was definately a tough nut, but once it was subdued (along with the big airfeilds at Tavoy and Mergui), the rout was on again in Thailand/Indochina.

I agree about the performance of Chinese units once they have supply. They are much more effective on the defense and I have actually switched to an offensive posture and recently took Nanchang. Its not much, but its definately a start.

Feel free to ask any questions you may have. I'm no expert, but I can tell you what has worked, what hasn't, and my thoughts as to why.

Thanks again for reading, and keep up the good fight

Excellent!

(in reply to Taxcutter)
Post #: 533
RE: Back for the First Time – Allied AAR vs. AI - War i... - 10/25/2018 1:11:16 PM   
jwolf

quote:

I have actually switched to an offensive posture and recently took Nanchang.

Can you post more detail about China? I'm curious exactly where the front lines are. FWIW in my game I began offensive ops in China once Burma was cleared. Phase 1 was Nanchang and the base next to it -- pretty easy. Phase 2 was the Wuhan complex -- tougher but critical to secure the road and rail net from Changsha to Loyang/Chengchow (all of which I still owned). Phase 3 targeted first Kukong and a base north of Canton that I can't remember, then the prime targets of Canton and Hong Kong itself. Fighting was tough at these two cities but I had very large forces available. After that, the Japanese army was pretty much broken in China and (after a while) even Shanghai wasn't very difficult to take.

(in reply to Schlussel)
Post #: 534
RE: Back for the First Time – Allied AAR vs. AI - War i... - 10/26/2018 1:55:45 PM   
Taxcutter

Schlussel:

Have you opened the Burma road yet or is that fracas in north Burma got it blocked?

(in reply to jwolf)
Post #: 535
RE: Back for the First Time – Allied AAR vs. AI - War i... - 10/27/2018 5:03:11 AM   
Schlussel

quote:

quote:

I have actually switched to an offensive posture and recently took Nanchang.

Can you post more detail about China? I'm curious exactly where the front lines are. FWIW in my game I began offensive ops in China once Burma was cleared. Phase 1 was Nanchang and the base next to it -- pretty easy. Phase 2 was the Wuhan complex -- tougher but critical to secure the road and rail net from Changsha to Loyang/Chengchow (all of which I still owned). Phase 3 targeted first Kukong and a base north of Canton that I can't remember, then the prime targets of Canton and Hong Kong itself. Fighting was tough at these two cities but I had very large forces available. After that, the Japanese army was pretty much broken in China and (after a while) even Shanghai wasn't very difficult to take.

Certainly, I've attached an image that shows the current situation as of Jan 4th 1944. Regarding your approach, I think it parallels my intentions in the theatre, and with the fall of Haiphong, I've now got a sizeable British force in southwest China itching for a fight. My plan is to sick them on Canton/Hong Kong and see what trouble they can stir up.

As you can see, the situation in the north is mostly static. Supply looks good, mostly...the glaring exception is Loyang which has always had an exclamation point. A few weeks ago it was yellow, and supply kept creeping in the right direction, however, with the recent offensive in the south, the red exclamation has returned. Methinks the increased action to the south has drawn supply from this area. The Japanese seem to be passive up here as well. Allied command is satisfied with the static front here, if it allows a general offensive in South/Central China.

In the Central front, the Chinese reclaimed Nanchang and a flanking force has circled behind Kiukiang (base immediately NE of Nanchang. Kiukiang is the next target.

Early this week, the Japanese advanced south of Wuchang and dealt a mighty blow (50 disabled/146 Destroyed squads) to the Chinese garrison in the hex SW of the base. However reinforcements arrived later in the week and caught the Japanese in a Shock attack, which reversed the fortunes, disabling 3 squads and destroying 273. Now there is another Chinese corps moving in from the west. Once this arrives, the Chinese should be able to oust the defenders SW of Wuchang and advance on the enemy base using the road to the east.

Thank you for your insights jwolf!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Taxcutter

Schlussel:

Have you opened the Burma road yet or is that fracas in north Burma got it blocked?

The Burma Road is still open. The enemy concentration (fracas) is east of Chaing Mai, and consists of the remains of 2 IJA divisions. I have been methodically closing down the hex sides so they have no retreat path. The last of these should be closed later in the week, and then the assaults can begin. I have been holding off on attacking in fear of forcing a retreat deeper into the Burmese jungle (I have a 197:79 raw AV advantage). The enemy has been without supply and under daily bombardments (ground and air) for nearly a month.
On a related note, I have modified my air supply routes. When the Burma Road was closed, I was flying from Ledo to Kunming to get Supply to China. With the road open, we are taking a much shorter flight to Myitkyina, and allowing the supply to be pulled via rail to where it’s needed. The shorter route is already paying dividends, as operational losses are now minimal, and air group fatigue (pilot & airframe) is much lower…meaning I don’t have to stand groups down as often. Another side effect is I can move base forces from Kunming and get them to the frontline Chinese bases. Here they will be able to support the Chinese bomber (B-25s) formations that have been training and filling out airframes in Karachi. Soon they'll be able to move into China and hopefully make their presence felt.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Schlussel -- 10/27/2018 5:05:01 AM >

Excellent!

(in reply to jwolf)
Post #: 536
RE: Back for the First Time – Allied AAR vs. AI - War i... - 10/29/2018 1:45:49 PM   
jwolf

On supply in China, I found that even after the Burma Road was open and I had a good road and rail connection all the way from Singapore in to China, supply remained spotty. I stopped flying supply from Ledo and instead moved some transports to Chungking, to fly supply from there to Loyang and Chengchow. After Hainan island and Hong Kong were secured, I also began shipping supply into Hong Kong. Still, supply in the Loyang area was never good, and in the far north near Paotow it remained awful. One problem -- I think -- is that Singapore tends to be a huge supply sink and I have the suspicion that they take and keep a lot of supply from anywhere in that whole theater.

It will take time to stage forces through Ichang, but Sinyang is vulnerable to being surrounded and captured. If you do that, you can cut off Hankow by land (though the Japanese can, if they want to, bring in supply up the river).

(in reply to Schlussel)
Post #: 537
RE: Back for the First Time – Allied AAR vs. AI - War i... - 11/4/2018 7:25:32 PM   
Schlussel

quote:

On supply in China, I found that even after the Burma Road was open and I had a good road and rail connection all the way from Singapore in to China, supply remained spotty. I stopped flying supply from Ledo and instead moved some transports to Chungking, to fly supply from there to Loyang and Chengchow. After Hainan island and Hong Kong were secured, I also began shipping supply into Hong Kong. Still, supply in the Loyang area was never good, and in the far north near Paotow it remained awful. One problem -- I think -- is that Singapore tends to be a huge supply sink and I have the suspicion that they take and keep a lot of supply from anywhere in that whole theater.

It will take time to stage forces through Ichang, but Sinyang is vulnerable to being surrounded and captured. If you do that, you can cut off Hankow by land (though the Japanese can, if they want to, bring in supply up the river).

Good points all around, thanks jwolf!

I have moved a bunch of transports from Ledo to Chungking to see if they can help the supply situation in the north. I'll monitor the situation and report back.

Yeah, earlier in the game I tried to isolate Hankow/Wuchang, but dispite all road connections being cut, the enemy garrisons stayed in supply. I'm assuming they were being supplied via river (like you suggested) or they are getting some "free" supply due to the fact I am playing on the hard difficulty (and very hard for 1 week of every month).

Excellent!

(in reply to jwolf)
Post #: 538
RE: Back for the First Time – Allied AAR vs. AI - War i... - 11/10/2018 2:54:46 AM   
Schlussel

Week 108: December 29th – January 4th 1944
North Pacific:

No IJN activity.

Central Pacific:
Allied occupation of Tinian is now complete. The base is fully repaired, enemy resistance has been eliminated, and the airfield is in use. Currently it supports 3 squadrons of liberators and two squadrons of P-47s (all giving their undivided attention to the enemy garrison on Saipan). More support units are inbound to allow additional bomber squadrons to fly in and operate. Guam is also up and running, supporting 75 fighters, 28 1E Bombers, 128 4E bombers, and 36 patrol aircraft.

Allied bomber and sea bombardments continue to hit Saipan, where the Allies enjoy a 659:339 raw AV advantage prior to the deliberate attack on the 4th. This attack was satisfactory, with both sides losing about 45 squads (25% of those were destroyed). Since the Japanese have no real hope of reinforcement/resupply, this kind of attrition is welcomed. Even more encouraging was that the forts dropped another level (now at 7). We’ll keep grinding.

Marcus invasion troops took a beating on that initial auto shock on D-Day, and have mostly recovered. The daily Allied bombardments have proved fruitful, so I have been in no rush to order up a deliberate attack. AV is at 75:4 in favor of the good guys, so all signs are pointing to a general attack this week.

Taongi is coming along nicely. The airfield should be operational in about a week. But that’s just Level 1 (defensive missions only). I have a few CB units and a base force heading in from Eniwetok, which should help speed things along.

Morotai falls on the 29th, and the airfield is down to 12% damage (from 100%). The Japanese resistance had about 25 AV and lost 85 squads on the last attack. The end is near.

Southern Pacific:
No IJN activity.

South-West Pacific:
The enemy force holed up in Dagua continues to receive daily 1 & 2 engine bomber visits, along with some fighter strafing missions. An Allied brigade is 2 days from Dagua, and will hopefully make short work of the enemy.

B-24 Liberator squadrons remaining on Manus and Mussau keep the pressure on Truk. Still getting a few enemy aircraft destroyed on the field, so AF attacks will continue.

The liberation of Mindano is progressing. The Allied force besieging Cagayan knocked the forts down to 3 and now enjoys a 62:3 raw AV advantage. The force southwest of Davao has finally dislodged the enemy division and in a surprising move, the enemy retreated to the southwest (Dadjangas). This introduces an unexpected wrinkle…in response, the Allies send a regiment southwest to pin the enemy down, while the 33rd Infantry division continues northeast to take Davao.

The Jolo operation kicks off, and after a deliberate attack, the AV is 550:450 in favor of the allies. The Allies had over 660 AV before the assault but suffered over 140 disabled squads while assaulting the level 6 forts. Wave 2 of the invasion is en route. In the meantime, the island will receive the usual bomber and bombardment treatment from units based at nearby Talaud-Eilanden. Talaud was initially a target of opportunity but has proven very useful, both in the current Mindano operations, and the future endeavors in the Celebes.

SE Asia/China:
The going remains slow on the Malayan peninsula, but progress is being made. The main Allied stack moved to the hex NE of Surat Thani and is currently 40 miles from the base. Chumphon is already a level 3 airfield and houses 46 fighters 41 bombers, and 12 patrol aircraft. At Victoria Point, the Japanese are evicted and flee southwest into the jungle, with two Chindit brigades in hot pursuit.

In Thailand, the northern Allied force captures Haiphong rather easily during the auto shock attack. The Chinese/British force pursues the fleeing Japanese garrison eastward. While additional Chinese units at LangSon and Pakhoi maneuver to cut off a retreat path.

In a surprise move, a small Japanese force counter invades Vinh and captures it without a fight. British troops had left the base ungarrisoned to assist in the capture of Hanoi/Haiphong. With those bases now in Allied hands, a few brigades have been detached to retake Vinh. Intel shows the enemy consists of a single infantry unit, most likely an understrength brigade.

In southern Thailand/Indochina, the enemy presence has been cornered in Cam Ranh Bay. Raw AV for the Japanese is around 12 and there are a reported 10 units present…most likely all support units.

In China, a small scale Allied offensive is brewing in the south. Current goals are to occupy the critical crossroads to isolate the coastal cities. Once complete, probing assaults will be carried out on the weakly garrisoned coastal bases.

IJN Watch:
-2 CAs sighted in the Makassar Strait (near Balikpapan) midweek. An Allied SCTF moved to investigate, but the enemy was long gone. Patrols have been set up to deny this waterway from the enemy…or at the least it will make its use very costly.

Notable Base Captures:
- Morotai [Moluccas] captured by the Allies (12/29)
- Haiphong [Indochina] captured by the Allies (12/30)
- Vinh [Indochina] captured by the Japanese (12/30)
- Tourane [Indochina] captured by the Allies (1/1)
- Siquijor [Philippines] occupied by the Allies (1/3)
- Dumaguette [Philippines] occupied by the Allies (1/4)
- Victoria Point [Malaya] captured by the Allies (1/4)

Campaign Overview:
Allies: 8,558 [+92]

Japanese: 25,021 [+295]

Allies: 659 [+6]
Notables: CV Enterprise, CV Victorious, CVE Copahee, CVE Corregidor, CVE Nassau, CVE St.Lo, 5 CA, 14 CL, 27 DD

Japanese: 1,434 [+17]
Notables: CV Akagi, CV Kaga, CV Hiryu, CV Hiyo, CV Junyo, CV Soryu, CV Shokaku, CV Zuikaku, CVL Shoho, CVL Ryuho, CVL Ryujo, CVL Zuiho, CVE Hosho, CVE Taiyo, BB Fuso, BB Haruna, BB Hiei, BB Kirishima, BB Kongo, BB Mutsu, BB Nagato, BB Yamato, 18 CA, 22 CL, 50 DD

Allies: 11,038 [+24]
Japanese: 11,265 [+399]
A/J Ratio: 0.98 to 1

VP Totals [change]:
Allies: 68,076 [+987]
Japanese: 33,837 [+219]
A/J Ratio: 2.01 to 1

Operation Aperture:
Phase 1:
-Assault & Capture Saipan [IN PROGRESS. AV 659:339 Advantage Allies, Forts at 7]

Phase 2:
-Assault & Capture Marcus [IN PROGRESS. 1st wave lands, AV 75:4 Advantage Allies, Forts at 2]

Operation Chimera:
Phase 1A:

Phase 1B:
-Assault & Capture Jolo [IN PROGRESS, Aphibs SW of Talaud-Eilanden]
-Reinforce Brunei

Phase 1C:

Other Notes:
-The Allies achieve two milestones to kick off the New Year:
1. Allies reach parity in ground losses. During darkest days of 1942, the Allied army losses were 6,000 more than the Japanese, the Allies have come a long way to equalize at 11K apiece.
2. Allies reach 2:1 in victory points. In a little over a year, the Allies have stretched their lead from 1:1 to 2:1. Now they set their sights on 3:1 by the end of ’44.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Schlussel -- 11/11/2018 1:57:07 AM >

Excellent!

(in reply to Schlussel)
Post #: 539
RE: Back for the First Time – Allied AAR vs. AI - War i... - 11/23/2018 12:52:39 PM   
Macclan5

quote:

2. Allies reach 2:1 in victory points. In a little over a year, the Allies have stretched their lead from 1:1 to 2:1. Now they set their sights on 3:1 by the end of ’44.

Congrats : Well managed and your updates continue to be very thoughtful.

I hope others point to this as a Newbie Tutorial as it provides strategic insights - but additionally Logistics insights which are so important in this game.

Now then 3:1 - 44

Canton / Hong Kong / Manila and Clark +

1) Singapore or
2) Shanghai

Both being the single most valuable bases if memory serves me correctly.

I suppose both are possible as more troops come along - and if you allocate more Yanks through Burma.

However I suspect you need to concentrate.

My experience is that the fortifications get higher / the attacks tougher as you have started to experience i.e. Mariana's.

Further I was shocked to find "as many troops opposing me" as there was through my first two attempts.

The AI plays well on Defense.

< Message edited by Macclan5 -- 11/23/2018 12:53:02 PM >

(in reply to Schlussel)
Post #: 540
Page:   <<   < prev  16 17 [18] 19 20   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Back for the First Time – Allied AAR vs. AI - War in the Pacific: Admirals Edition Page: <<   < prev  16 17 [18] 19 20   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI