Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Win10 upgrade issue

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> RE: Win10 upgrade issue Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 8/22/2015 3:31:46 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: pws1225

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: pws1225

Just a quick note on my experience upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I had many of the same issues described by other posters in this thread and tried many of the same solutions but still had sluggish performance when I could get the game to run at all. I finally tried running the compatibility mode diagnostic which fixed all my problems.

Here is what I did:
1 - Right click the game icon and select the "Troubleshoot Compatibility"
2 - Select "Troubleshoot program"
3 - Select BOTH the "Program worked in earlier versions of Windows ..." AND the "Program opens but doesn't display correctly" symptoms then click Next
4 - The Troubleshoot Compatibility diagnostic will ask which version of Windows you are upgrading from. I selected Windows 7 then clicked Next.
5 - Test run the game using the button provided by the Troubleshoot Compatibility then exit the game.
6 - Select "Save Settings".

After doing this, the game runs just as it did under Windows 7.

And FWIW, here are the command line switched that I use:
"F:\Matrix Games - Todd PBEM\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -f -px1280 -py1024 -altFont -skipVideo -dd_sw -archive -SingleCpuOrders -deepColor

I hope this helps,
Regards, Paul

Thanks!

Are you able to see the settings that resulted from that Windows process? Are they in the shortcut and could you post them? Being able to snag a pic of that would be nice.

The only visible change that I could see was after right-clicking the shortcut and selecting properties, under the "Compatibility" tab, the Compatibility Mode switch is now checked and Windows 7 has been selected as the compatibility mode in which the game runs. Since I did not manually select these switches, I presume Windows did. I would take a screen shot for you but haven't a clue how to do it. :-)

Thanks!

(in reply to pws1225)
Post #: 91
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 8/22/2015 6:28:26 PM   
ncarson

Whao! You're a bloody genious. Got mine to work just fine (so far) up to 2500 X 100, scrolling seems fast, looks great on the big screen, but have yet to play a game. You're a hero!

(in reply to pws1225)
Post #: 92
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 9/4/2015 9:55:16 PM   
steverodgers801

I am barely functional on some of this stuff. I'm not sure what I am looking at, at the suggested link. Can some one show me the steps to fix the slow running issue

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 93
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 9/5/2015 2:45:45 AM   
afspret

Ran my first turn after upgrading to Win10 and now the very minor issue I had with the gaming freezing up every once in while happened multiple times during the turn. Its only freezing up during the ground & air combat resolution phases of the turn (only naval ops during the turn were amphib ops and didn't notice it there).

FYI, I upgraded from 8.1 and I did check, apparently my AMD Radeon HD7560D graphics card is up to date.

(in reply to steverodgers801)
Post #: 94
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 9/6/2015 12:39:11 PM   
koniu

quote:

ORIGINAL: afspret

Ran my first turn after upgrading to Win10 and now the very minor issue I had with the gaming freezing up every once in while happened multiple times during the turn. Its only freezing up during the ground & air combat resolution phases of the turn (only naval ops during the turn were amphib ops and didn't notice it there).

FYI, I upgraded from 8.1 and I did check, apparently my AMD Radeon HD7560D graphics card is up to date.

Had similar issue on first few days. It fixed somehow alone without my intervention.
I am suspecting one of Windows patches and/or AMD drivers update or Sound Blaster driver
Those are only things that changed.

I am using last AMD driver 15.200.1062.1004
Sound drivers are from there http://support.creative.com/kb/ShowArticle.aspx?sid=126331
Switches i am using
-f -px1280 -py1024 -dd_sw -altFont -cpu1 -skipVideo -deepColor -SingleCpuOrders

Personally i believe it is GPU driver issue

< Message edited by koniu -- 9/6/2015 3:06:55 PM >

"Only the Dead Have Seen the End of War"

(in reply to afspret)
Post #: 95
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 9/23/2015 7:58:30 PM   
HighwayStar

I have read through these posts and have solved almost all of the problems I have encountered after upgrading to Win10. The full screen issue and the slow scroll issue have been solved by members such as witpqs and others. The only problem that remains is the tiny font size. I tried the -altFont switch which changed the font but it was still tiny, almost unreadable. I have tinkered with the resolution for my laptop's monitor, but that just screws up the full screen. After the Win10 upgrade it recommended a resolution of 1600 x 900 and that is what I set the switches for: "C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -deepColor -dd_sw -f -px1600 -py900. Is there a switch for font size?

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 96
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 9/23/2015 8:13:48 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: HighwayStar

I have read through these posts and have solved almost all of the problems I have encountered after upgrading to Win10. The full screen issue and the slow scroll issue have been solved by members such as witpqs and others. The only problem that remains is the tiny font size. I tried the -altFont switch which changed the font but it was still tiny, almost unreadable. I have tinkered with the resolution for my laptop's monitor, but that just screws up the full screen. After the Win10 upgrade it recommended a resolution of 1600 x 900 and that is what I set the switches for: "C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -deepColor -dd_sw -f -px1600 -py900. Is there a switch for font size?

No. The -altFont that you are trying (I use that, too) is it as far as I know.

My wife didn't like the sizes of fonts and icons on her PC (even on Windows 7) so she set the resolution lower to make everything look bigger, but as you mention that has other consequences.

Although I can read the text 99.99% of the time, I also keep a magnifying glass handy for the other times plus looking for movement arrows on LCU icons that are in parts of the map that are visually busy. It might sound hokey, but a good old fashioned magnifying glass works great for those exceptional cases!

(in reply to HighwayStar)
Post #: 97
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 9/23/2015 8:20:26 PM   
Cmdrcain

Ok this isn't a win 10 but seems ones here know switchs

I was using a Older PC 10 yrs old with Vista and ran game fine without switchs
in full screen

BOTH my New and old used same Monitor and both same RES:

1680x1050

Since getting a new PC with win 8.1 (free upgrade to 10 but waiting on that)
after installing game it runs in desktop but apparently not in Full screen

It runs in what seems a box with edges outside box black so seems full screen but game running in a small box or maybe its in windowed box... but if was a window box I'd expect see the rest of windows including system tray etc..

The effect is that the text is too small for my aged eyes...

Given the Res above is there switchs I might use...
I want it to not be in a box with black borders but really full screen with game screen taking up monitor screen like on old PC

win 8.1 not win10

Noise? What Noise? It's sooooo quiet and Peaceful!

Battlestar Pegasus

(in reply to HighwayStar)
Post #: 98
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 10/22/2015 11:09:12 PM   
redkraken

FWIW running in Win 8 compatibility mode seems to work for me on my laptop, though I do have to pull the font scaling down to 100% when I play the game. Annoying, but not a blocker.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 99
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 10/26/2015 11:11:02 PM   
spence

I've tried all kinds of switches along with compatibility with Windows 7 and Windows 8. Still have a very pronounced lag in the game...any magic bullets?

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 100
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 10/26/2015 11:18:51 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: spence

I've tried all kinds of switches along with compatibility with Windows 7 and Windows 8. Still have a very pronounced lag in the game...any magic bullets?

Could you post which switch combinations you have tried already? There are actually several 'magic bullets' and I'm sure you read about them and tried them. But if you can post what you have tried that might trigger someone to suggest something you haven't tried yet.

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 101
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 10/27/2015 12:26:54 AM   
spence

Wish I had kept better track. Somehow I think it relates to the screen resolution more than anything else but so far that hasn't worked. I tried Commander: The Great War and that seemed to work just fine with no lag at all. I looked at the route or whatever and it only showed the default switches (as in no switches at all). That's a more recent game but for those of you who can delve into deeper layers of code or whatever can find the clue that lies down there.

< Message edited by spence -- 10/27/2015 1:33:13 AM >

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 102
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 10/27/2015 2:45:11 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

Wish I had kept better track. Somehow I think it relates to the screen resolution more than anything else but so far that hasn't worked. I tried Commander: The Great War and that seemed to work just fine with no lag at all. I looked at the route or whatever and it only showed the default switches (as in no switches at all). That's a more recent game but for those of you who can delve into deeper layers of code or whatever can find the clue that lies down there.

Shot-in-the-dark ideas:

- if you have been playing the game for a while, issuing orders and visiting lots of bases and units, RAM gets overloaded with data that has been retrieved and kept in case you need it again. Once RAM is overloaded things like clicking on a new base suffer quite a bit of hesitation getting the data to present to you. The cure for this is to save, exit the game and restart. I have a screamer Alienware machine with 8 gigs of RAM and this still happens to me.

- having the hex sides highlighted adds a lot of work to the graphics card. When you scroll one hex in any direction the entire screen has to be redrawn, so scrolling is greatly affected. Use the F6 key to turn it off until you really need to see the hex side control details.

- graphics cards have specific native resolutions that they are optimized for. If yours has , say, 1600X900 as one of the standard settings and you go with 1600X1000 in the game start menu, the card has to calculate everything it does rather than access whatever shortcuts are in the optimization. Right-click on your desktop to access the properties and check out the settings your graphics card presents to you as available.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 103
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 10/27/2015 3:29:01 AM   
wdolson

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

Shot-in-the-dark ideas:

- if you have been playing the game for a while, issuing orders and visiting lots of bases and units, RAM gets overloaded with data that has been retrieved and kept in case you need it again. Once RAM is overloaded things like clicking on a new base suffer quite a bit of hesitation getting the data to present to you. The cure for this is to save, exit the game and restart. I have a screamer Alienware machine with 8 gigs of RAM and this still happens to me.

- having the hex sides highlighted adds a lot of work to the graphics card. When you scroll one hex in any direction the entire screen has to be redrawn, so scrolling is greatly affected. Use the F6 key to turn it off until you really need to see the hex side control details.

- graphics cards have specific native resolutions that they are optimized for. If yours has , say, 1600X900 as one of the standard settings and you go with 1600X1000 in the game start menu, the card has to calculate everything it does rather than access whatever shortcuts are in the optimization. Right-click on your desktop to access the properties and check out the settings your graphics card presents to you as available.

The problem is a bug in DirectX. AE uses some old legacy calls that were designed for single processors. With multi-core processors, there are calls that call another thread in DirectX and it waits for a return. On a single core, the other thread can't run until the first thread gives up control, but on a multi-core, the other thread can return with the answer before the first thread even thinks it should start waiting for the answer. Both processes sit there staring at one another until the first one asks for the data again, whereas the other thread says, "hey dummy, it was there all along!" and things continue.

This problem is compounded with some video card drivers which are also multi-threaded and they end up tripping over themselves.

We provided as many switches as we did because these problems manifest differently on different machines, so people have to play around with the settings to find which ones work best for them. The fact -deepColor works for a lot of people with Windows 10 tells me there is something new in the graphics library that is also causing problems.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 104
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 10/27/2015 1:24:35 PM   
Uncivil Engineer

quote:

Don't know if this will help your situation, but when I removed the -SingleCPU switch my games ran faster, not blazing fast, but with that switch every mouse click encountered a 1-2 second delay.

Problem I'm having is with window size - even though my 25" monitor setting is 1920 x 1080, the -px1920 -py1080 switches don't work and the best I can do is 1440x810 !?

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 105
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 10/27/2015 2:41:05 PM   
Admiral DadMan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Uncivil Engineer

quote:

Don't know if this will help your situation, but when I removed the -SingleCPU switch my games ran faster, not blazing fast, but with that switch every mouse click encountered a 1-2 second delay.

Problem I'm having is with window size - even though my 25" monitor setting is 1920 x 1080, the -px1920 -py1080 switches don't work and the best I can do is 1440x810 !?

Are you running windowed or full screen, and/or using -deepColor?

Scenario 127: "Scraps of Paper"
(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:

(in reply to Uncivil Engineer)
Post #: 106
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 10/27/2015 10:00:25 PM   
spence

I assume that "-w" means run the game in Windowed Mode...maybe not...essentially I have no idea what any of these switches do...it's all been 'monkey see, monkey do' as far as switches are concerned...I've tried lots of different combos but none seem to do anything.
"-deepColor" has not accomplished anything with or without additional switches.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 107
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 10/28/2015 10:08:53 AM   
Uncivil Engineer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Admiral DadMan

quote:

quote:

Windowed (otherwise why would I specify the window size?)
Not using -deepColor and not sure what it does.
Thanks in advance for any additional advice.

(in reply to Admiral DadMan)
Post #: 108
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 10/28/2015 4:13:37 PM   
witpqs

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Even in full screen you might specify the resolution to make things work as you want them to.
It affects the way graphics are handled internally and on many Windows 8/8.1/10 PCs it speeds things up dramatically or even. Just try it, you can always take it out if it does nothing or you don't like it.

Post #: 109
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 10/28/2015 5:41:59 PM   
Admiral DadMan

quote:

Sorry, brain dead.

As witpqs said, try -deepColor which Enables 32 bit color.

Also try -dd_sw which handles DirectDraw via software

Scenario 127: "Scraps of Paper"
(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:

Post #: 110
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 10/28/2015 5:49:03 PM   
witpqs

To reiterate, full-screen can be done at different resolutions. Any of the resolutions that the card supports natively, which means you can choose one that is less than the maximum. So, sometimes a person will specify a resolution even when not in windowed mode (meaning when in full screen mode).

Post #: 111
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 10/28/2015 8:47:54 PM   
Joe D.

What, if any, is the difference between -cpu4 and -dual.

I have a quad core and assume that it corresponds to -cpu4, i.e., two dual cores, but I'm not certain which switch is preferred.

Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.

"The Angel of Okinawa"

Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 112
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 10/28/2015 10:19:11 PM   
spence

I got the scrolling on the map to go faster/better by using a -cpu4 switch since I saw somewhere that I have a quad core. The scrolling seemed to go better regardless of other switches. Still a 1-2 sec lag when moving from base to base or unit to unit. With those kinds of delays this game becomes unplayable.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 113
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 10/29/2015 1:30:38 AM   
witpqs

quote:

I got the scrolling on the map to go faster/better by using a -cpu4 switch since I saw somewhere that I have a quad core.
-SingleCpuOrders might address this one too.

The scrolling seemed to go better regardless of other switches. Still a 1-2 sec lag when moving from base to base or unit to unit. With those kinds of delays this game becomes unplayable.

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 114
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 10/29/2015 9:15:30 AM   
Uncivil Engineer

quote:

quote:

Sorry, brain dead.

As witpqs said, try -deepColor which Enables 32 bit color.

Also try -dd_sw which handles DirectDraw via software

I've added -deepColor - hasn't changed anything; tried it with 1920x1080 and got a full screen with parts inaccessible to the mouse, so went back to 1440x810 (1600x900 didn't work right either).

I've been using the -dd_sw switch; still have both of these in the command line.

Thanks again to both of you.

Post #: 115
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 11/5/2015 11:08:06 AM   
spence

I give up trying to make this game work with Windows 10. Whatever improvements it claims to have are not apparent to me. Is it possible to "downgrade" back to the Windows (8.1) I had before? How?

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 116
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 11/5/2015 12:42:08 PM   
Joe D.

quote:

I give up trying to make this game work with Windows 10. Whatever improvements it claims to have are not apparent to me. Is it possible to "downgrade" back to the Windows (8.1) I had before?...

There's a refresh option, but it will probably take you back to windows 8.

I wish I had recorded my settings for 8.1 because it worked like a charm. However, 8.1 was somewhat unstable.

Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.

"The Angel of Okinawa"

Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 117
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 11/5/2015 6:38:46 PM   
koniu

quote:

I give up trying to make this game work with Windows 10. Whatever improvements it claims to have are not apparent to me. Is it possible to "downgrade" back to the Windows (8.1) I had before? How?

On 10 November, if MS don't delay it again, there will be major update to W10.
Lot of changes, compatibility and stability fixes. If You can wait few more days maybe after it You will be able to run game on W10

There is an option to revert back to old system. Look there Settings--->Updates and Security. but to do that You need to have old Windows files on HDD. If You deleted them You will need to do clean install from DVD or USB.

Also I am not sure but after free upgrade reverting back is only passable for 30 days after first W10 installation. After that time Your Win7/8/8.1 key will work only with with W10 and will not activate older systems. But i am not 100% sure

< Message edited by koniu -- 11/5/2015 7:42:13 PM >

"Only the Dead Have Seen the End of War"

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 118
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 11/5/2015 11:31:40 PM   
BBfanboy

see following post ...

< Message edited by BBfanboy -- 11/6/2015 1:09:55 AM >

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 119
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 11/6/2015 12:09:18 AM   
BBfanboy

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

I got the scrolling on the map to go faster/better by using a -cpu4 switch since I saw somewhere that I have a quad core. The scrolling seemed to go better regardless of other switches. Still a 1-2 sec lag when moving from base to base or unit to unit. With those kinds of delays this game becomes unplayable.

wdolson mentioned in post 104 of this thread that there is an issue with the old legacy game engine working with modern multi-threaded processors and O/Ss. He described how sometimes two of the multiple processor threads are pointing at the same thing and get stuck on which one should go first. This sounds like the 1-2 second delay you describe. Eventually something else cues the processing to proceed and you get the base/unit info you clicked on.

I get this issue running Windows 7, but only after I have been in the game for a while clicking lots of things and using up (I think) RAM space. When this happens I stop, save the game, exit completely and then restart. Only takes a few minutes and save a lot of frustration. Everything runs almost instantly after the restart.

Edit: changed the credit for the info about stuck threads.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> RE: Win10 upgrade issue Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI