Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Win10 upgrade issue

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> RE: Win10 upgrade issue Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 11/6/2015 1:28:27 AM   
spence

Hi once again. Dumb me didn't write down the switches I used in Windows 8.1. I did "downgrade" tonight. The lag right now is much much reduced but it is not optimal. Suggestions.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 121
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 11/9/2015 6:02:54 PM   
Redmarkus5

Not sure if this helps as I just upgraded to Win 10 from Win 8, but here's what I'm using and it's running great:

-deepColor -skipVideo -f -px2560 -py1600 -cpu4 -altFont -dd_sw

WitE2 tester, WitW, WitP, CMMO, CM2, GTOS, GTMF, WP & WPP, TOAW4, BA2

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 122
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 11/12/2015 12:17:17 PM   
yeknod

This may help, I found that running from the autostart menu, the command settings were not being applied.

To resolve, I found the path in the desktop shortcut pointing to "War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" was incorrect, so every time starting the game it would ignore the command line settings and load with default settings.

To test, apply this one command "-skipVideo" to see if it works, then apply any other commands to the shortcut as needed and run directly from desktop without using the autostart autorun.exe.

(in reply to Redmarkus5)
Post #: 123
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 11/13/2015 4:28:38 AM   
koniu

Just updated to latest official Windows 10 version - Threshold 2 update.
It should be available trough windows update already or in next few days for all W10 users

Maybe it is just placebo effect but i think both system and game responsivenesses is much better. Game start faster and reaction to "mouse click" is also much faster.

PS - Update is taking about 30-60 minutes depending of PC specs and internet connection.
I am suggesting to do cleanup of HDD after installation to delete old windows files (~22GB)

< Message edited by koniu -- 11/13/2015 5:36:12 AM >

"Only the Dead Have Seen the End of War"

(in reply to yeknod)
Post #: 124
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 11/18/2015 11:27:10 AM   
Encircled

Not really an upgrade issue as such, but my screen keeps trying to go back to my PCs home screen on Windows 10 when running the game.

Anybody else have the same issue or any tips to sort it out?

Its a brand new machine and currently only has this game installed on it, and I'm running Chrome.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 125
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 11/18/2015 1:31:17 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Encircled

Not really an upgrade issue as such, but my screen keeps trying to go back to my PCs home screen on Windows 10 when running the game.

Its a brand new machine and currently only has this game installed on it, and I'm running Chrome.

I am not sure if this is Microsoft checking whether you have taken up their offer for free upgrade to Win 10 or not, but since last spring I have had this happen two or three times a day - doesn't matter what program I am running it will flip me to the Desktop and I have to use ALT-TAB to switch back.

The reason I suspect outside interference is that my modem lights start flashing when this flip occurs. The Win 10 offer does not pop up immediately, so it may be some other program like the anti-virus at work.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Encircled)
Post #: 126
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 11/18/2015 3:23:08 PM   
Encircled

Could be my anti-virus.

Bloody annoying whatever it is

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 127
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 11/18/2015 5:52:38 PM   
BillBrown

I went into windows update and removed this update KB3035583. All it does is install the Windows 10 update notice. I have no trouble since then.

(in reply to Encircled)
Post #: 128
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 11/18/2015 7:04:19 PM   
witpqs

He said he already has Windows 10, so it's not the offer to upgrade to Windows 10. I'm not sure, I'll keep my ears open.

(in reply to BillBrown)
Post #: 129
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 11/18/2015 10:38:09 PM   
Encircled

Cheers

Wonder if it could be anything to do with screen resolution. I haven't put one in my switches

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 130
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 11/22/2015 10:41:41 PM   
pontiouspilot

My upgrade to 10 largely ironed out thanks to the great advice on here. The one remaining problem, albeit fairly minor, is that the game will no longer load if I want to avoid "windowed" screen..ie. with -w applied it just won't load. Everything is fine as long in windowed mode. I find the windowed mode annoying because it covers some useful icons at bottom of game screen. Any suggestions??

(in reply to Encircled)
Post #: 131
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 11/23/2015 4:25:31 PM   
Vader5

quote:

ORIGINAL: pontiouspilot

My upgrade to 10 largely ironed out thanks to the great advice on here. The one remaining problem, albeit fairly minor, is that the game will no longer load if I want to avoid "windowed" screen..ie. with -w applied it just won't load. Everything is fine as long in windowed mode. I find the windowed mode annoying because it covers some useful icons at bottom of game screen. Any suggestions??

you could try using the following:

-pxf2540 -pyf1375

This is for a 2560x1440 resolution. The "f" allows you to more finely edit your windowed resolution for the game. You could vary for other resolutions.

(in reply to pontiouspilot)
Post #: 132
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 11/24/2015 12:03:39 AM   
spence

I've fiddled around with various combinations of switches etc in the auto.exec for AE for a month or more. Nothing worked as far as correcting the terrible lagging that began with my upgrade to Windows 10.

Then just for grins I updated with the Beta version of AE (the latest Nov 14 version). The lag is totally gone. I'll leave it to the computer jocks to figure out why downloading the Beta fixed everything.

Incidentally, I had upgraded to Windows 10 earlier, then because of the lagging experienced in AE, downgraded back to Windows 8.1 where I still had the lag in the game. I remembered that I had previously had some extra files in the AE folder before Win10 from use of the Beta. When I initially upgraded to Win10 I had the lag even though I still had the Beta file. I completely removed AE and all associated files and reinstalled in Win10 and did the same when I went back to Win8.1 but didn't download the Beta. I went back to Win10, started with a new AE, and, because I saw that there was a Beta update, downloaded and installed that. NOW AE runs perfectly.

< Message edited by spence -- 11/24/2015 12:00:10 PM >

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 133
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 11/26/2015 12:45:34 PM   
Encircled

Update on the screen issue

its now getting very annoying and basically Win 10 keeps trying to switch the screen from WITP:AE to anything else that is open. I've tried shutting every other screen which lessens it, but doesn't eliminate it.

Any ideas?

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 134
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 12/1/2015 2:10:54 AM   
ny59giants

Thanks witpqs for posting this on page one weeks and weeks ago. I got my new computer today and this posting among others were enough to get my fresh install up and running. Now to find "Windows 10 for Dummies" and I'll be all set. So many things to adjust to, but first impressions are not very good.

quote:

OK, a few things to be aware of.

You are trying to get full screen to work correctly. My settings (those ones) are tuned for my specific laptop's screen/graphics capability. You have to get the resolution correct for your PC/laptop. With your desktop visible:

- Right click on your desktop.
- Click on 'Display Settings'.
- On the right-hand half at the bottom (you might have to scroll down), click on 'Advanced display settings'.
- You will see a box labeled 'Resolution'. Don't change it, just write it down. BTW, even better if it says '(Recommended)' because that means Windows 10 thinks it is the ideal resolution for your graphics/monitor combination.

Use that resolution (the one you wrote down) for your px and py. That is the place to start!

As far as the other settings go...

• -altFont tells the game to use a slightly larger & different font. Some of us find it easier to read, some do not.
• -archive tells the game to make copies of each turns report files (combat report, operations report, combat events report, SigInt report) in the folder SAVE/archive (under the main game folder), and each file gets the game date encoded into the file name. This is useful to look back and, for example, is required for the Intel Monkey player aid.
• -wd tells the game to run in windows mode (w) and (for AI games only) to make daily game save files in the /SAVE/autosave folder.
• -deepColor is a game graphics setting sometimes helpful depending on hardware/drivers/OS version.
• -px(followed by number) is horizontal resolution.
• -py(followed by number) is vertical resolution.
• -fixedArt tells the game to not use certain artwork animations/rotaions. It is useful if your graphics capability is not powerful enough to display those visual effects without them jumping. In full screen more I do not need it.
• -noFire tells the game to not use firing/explosion/etc. animations. It is useful if your graphics capability is not powerful enough to smoothly paint the screen during the combat animations (the whole right-hand side of the screen jumps on me). I use on both my laptop and desktop when running the game in windowed mode. In full screen mode I do not need it.
• -SingleCpuOrders tells the game engine to use just one CPU core during the orders mode. By default the game will use multiple execution threads to try and speed things up, but on some systems the (older) method that the game uses sometimes results in things slowing down. There is also a switch that you can use to tell the game engine to use a specific CPU core when running the turn (combat resolution/replay) that takes the form "-cpu1" or "-cpu2", or "-cpu3", and so on.

• -dd_sw I don't have it there, but someone earlier mentioned this switch. It tells the game to emulate Direct Drive (I might have that term slightly wrong) graphics in software instead of relying on Direct Drive implemented on the graphics card/chipset in the system. Apparently some Direct Drive hardware implementations have bugs and using software emulation instead gets around that problem.

Hope this helps.

< Message edited by ny59giants -- 12/1/2015 3:11:22 AM >

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 135
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 12/2/2015 4:18:28 AM   
Feltan

Thank you all for the advice and instructions. After upgrading to Win10, I only had to say the "f" word once or twice until I found this thread and followed the advice.

It seems the -deepColor setting did the trick. I played around with the -px -py settings as well, but at my recommended resolution (1920 x 1080), I was displaying half of the Pacific and couldn't see anything in detail. I am not sure what the default resolution is, but it seems to work for me just fine.

Regards,
Feltan

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 136
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 12/10/2015 11:10:16 PM   
AllenK

Have just bought this with the Xmas offer and installed under Windows 10, fully updated to latest patches/upgrades.

Game was initially extremely slow and clunky but following the advice here, the following works for me.

-f -px1920 -py1080 -dd_sw -altFont -skipVideo -deepColor -SingleCpuOrders -archive.

Thanks to those who have worked this out.

(in reply to Feltan)
Post #: 137
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 12/11/2015 8:24:57 PM   
Rayfer

quote:

ORIGINAL: yeknod

This may help, I found that running from the autostart menu, the command settings were not being applied.

To resolve, I found the path in the desktop shortcut pointing to "War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" was incorrect, so every time starting the game it would ignore the command line settings and load with default settings.

To test, apply this one command "-skipVideo" to see if it works, then apply any other commands to the shortcut as needed and run directly from desktop without using the autostart autorun.exe.

Thanks yeknod....! I couldn't get the switches to work but after reading your post I went back into the 'open file location' from the desktop icon and located an application .exe icon that wasn't 'autorun'. The switches now work and there is no lag in opening and closing windows while in game. Again, thanks!

(in reply to yeknod)
Post #: 138
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 12/16/2015 2:05:34 AM   
ny59giants

I got a new tower with Win10 at beginning of month. After installing game and getting BTS mod up and running, I now have problems when I run the Combat Replay. Last turn involved lots of aircraft and I must have had over 20 pauses about 5 seconds long for each before it continued. These five second pauses came after I did the 30 minute long Windows Update a week ago. Any way to get rid of these annoying delays??

(in reply to Rayfer)
Post #: 139
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 12/16/2015 2:12:35 AM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: ny59giants

I got a new tower with Win10 at beginning of month. After installing game and getting BTS mod up and running, I now have problems when I run the Combat Replay. Last turn involved lots of aircraft and I must have had over 20 pauses about 5 seconds long for each before it continued. These five second pauses came after I did the 30 minute long Windows Update a week ago. Any way to get rid of these annoying delays??

I don't know if this will help...

They put in a switch to allow you to assign AE to a specific cpu. Note that this is different than the -SingleCpuOrders that works during the orders mode. This is, for example -cpu2 or -cpu4 and so on. AFAIK it will stop AE from trying to use multiple processors, and it will assign it to the processor you specify. So obviously you want to specify one that is not running lots of other stuff all the time. I would avoid -cpu1 because I assume (but do not know) that lots of little administrative stuff will always go there.

BTW, this is for the number of processors that your system appears to have, not for how many physical cores it has. Many PCs these days have (just for example) 4 cores that are hyper-threaded so that each core looks (and acts) like 2 processors, so the PC looks (and acts) like it has 8 processors.

Hope this helps, I really don't know if it will fix what you are seeing.

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 140
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 12/16/2015 2:41:35 AM   
wdolson

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

I don't know if this will help...

They put in a switch to allow you to assign AE to a specific cpu. Note that this is different than the -SingleCpuOrders that works during the orders mode. This is, for example -cpu2 or -cpu4 and so on. AFAIK it will stop AE from trying to use multiple processors, and it will assign it to the processor you specify. So obviously you want to specify one that is not running lots of other stuff all the time. I would avoid -cpu1 because I assume (but do not know) that lots of little administrative stuff will always go there.

BTW, this is for the number of processors that your system appears to have, not for how many physical cores it has. Many PCs these days have (just for example) 4 cores that are hyper-threaded so that each core looks (and acts) like 2 processors, so the PC looks (and acts) like it has 8 processors.

Hope this helps, I really don't know if it will fix what you are seeing.

Not exactly, the -cpux is which of the cores you want the game to use. If you specify a number greater than the number of cores the system actually has, it will use core #1. If you don't have this switch in there, it will use all cores available and there is a problem with some DirectX calls with multicore processors and some video card drivers. By using -cpux you will use the core specified only. The -cpu number also uses the physical number of cores. Hyperthreading is going out of fashion now as it's energy inefficient and causes a lot of cache refreshes, but hyperthreading could cause the game to slow down.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 141
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 12/17/2015 7:04:51 PM   
afspret

still having the issue of the game locking up, mainly during all types combat resolutions, since upgrading to Win10. i know someone said he was having the same issue when he initially upgraded but it went away after a few turns, but mine is doing the opposite, its getting worse. i have tried to run the game in Win8 mode but it didn't help. anybody got any ideas for a fix, other than doing the complete uninstall & reinstall thing?

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 142
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 12/19/2015 1:16:10 PM   
Sigma8510

quote:

Update on the screen issue

its now getting very annoying and basically Win 10 keeps trying to switch the screen from WITP:AE to anything else that is open. I've tried shutting every other screen which lessens it, but doesn't eliminate it.

Any ideas?

Same issue here! I have been searching Google for solutions, but no joy! Going to try running in windowed mode and see what happens. Did not see this issue with earlier versions of Win 10.

(in reply to Encircled)
Post #: 143
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 12/19/2015 5:14:45 PM   
Rayfer

The shortcut switch edits worked for me...extremely well. Question....I can't get it to work with Uncommon Valor. With that old game I still get the in-game, 3-5 lag in opening and closing windows. Any suggestions for Uncommon Valor?

< Message edited by Rayfer -- 12/19/2015 6:15:22 PM >

(in reply to Redmarkus5)
Post #: 144
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 12/20/2015 2:41:16 AM   
wdolson

Uncommon Valor doesn't have the switches AE does. We added the switches for the first patch of AE when people were having problems with multicore machines.

You can try setting the processor affinity with Task Manager. It is a little involved though. Here is instructions for Win 7, but Win 10 should be similar:

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/windows-and-office/change-the-processor-affinity-setting-in-windows-7-to-gain-a-performance-edge/

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to Rayfer)
Post #: 145
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 12/21/2015 7:40:00 PM   
Rayfer

quote:

Encircled....did you ever get this resolved? Not sure why, but now my machine (windows 10)occasionally goes back to desktop while I'm playing a game. After I click on the game's toolbar icon the game comes back. It's annoying.

(in reply to Encircled)
Post #: 146
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 12/22/2015 12:21:26 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rayfer

quote:

Encircled....did you ever get this resolved? Not sure why, but now my machine (windows 10)occasionally goes back to desktop while I'm playing a game. After I click on the game's toolbar icon the game comes back. It's annoying.

It isn't just Win 10. I am running Win 7 and this returning to the desktop started occurring earlier this year and it coincides with flashing lights on my modem, so I presume it is a program communicating with the Internet or reacting to something incoming, like the Anti-Virus intercepting an attempted hack.
Most times it is a minor inconvenience to return to WITP-AE, but when this occurs in the middle of some intense combat replay action ....

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Rayfer)
Post #: 147
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 12/22/2015 1:39:24 AM   
Alfred

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

quote:

It isn't just Win 10. I am running Win 7 and this returning to the desktop started occurring earlier this year and it coincides with flashing lights on my modem, so I presume it is a program communicating with the Internet or reacting to something incoming, like the Anti-Virus intercepting an attempted hack.
Most times it is a minor inconvenience to return to WITP-AE, but when this occurs in the middle of some intense combat replay action ....

If you have Microsoft Downloads enabled, not only do the regular patches get downloaded but they will be installed at a predetermined moment. You will usually be given about a 10 minute warning before the downloads get applied but it is very easy to not notice the warning and thus fail to reschedule the update. Unless rescheduled your computer will be automatically closed down in order to finish installation of the Microsoft updates.

Alfred

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 148
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 12/22/2015 12:23:31 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alfred

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

quote:

If you have Microsoft Downloads enabled, not only do the regular patches get downloaded but they will be installed at a predetermined moment. You will usually be given about a 10 minute warning before the downloads get applied but it is very easy to not notice the warning and thus fail to reschedule the update. Unless rescheduled your computer will be automatically closed down in order to finish installation of the Microsoft updates.

Alfred

Quite true - I usually do see the warning and defer the restart until I can close out of everything running, but have occasionally lost work because of an unexpected restart. The anti-virus program also does this, insisting on a restart ASAP.

However the behaviour I was referring to is just a minimizing of the active WITP-AE screen while nothing visible is happening on the computer (just on the modem). There is no subsequent restart or warning messages. No update messages. And no problem resuming the game or other program with no loss of work.

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 149
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 12/22/2015 11:37:19 PM   
Sigma8510

"-snip

However the behaviour I was referring to is just a minimizing of the active WITP-AE screen while nothing visible is happening on the computer (just on the modem). There is no subsequent restart or warning messages. No update messages. And no problem resuming the game or other program with no loss of work."

Exact same issue I am seeing! Running in a window is a work around, but I prefer full screen.

< Message edited by jbaxter1964 -- 12/23/2015 12:38:52 AM >

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> RE: Win10 upgrade issue Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI