Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Win10 upgrade issue

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> RE: Win10 upgrade issue Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 12/23/2015 1:54:27 PM   
Alfred

quote:

ORIGINAL: afspret

still having the issue of the game locking up, mainly during all types combat resolutions, since upgrading to Win10. i know someone said he was having the same issue when he initially upgraded but it went away after a few turns, but mine is doing the opposite, its getting worse. i have tried to run the game in Win8 mode but it didn't help. anybody got any ideas for a fix, other than doing the complete uninstall & reinstall thing?

For anyone who reads post 142, the problem was resolved in this thread.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3993091

Alfred

(in reply to afspret)
Post #: 151
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 12/26/2015 2:30:39 AM   
jcjordan

FYI for those having problems & don't want to read all through - I had the lock up upon clicking something or doing something after loading savegame. I added 2 switches seen here in addition to -deepColor I already had in my command line which fixed this problem when I went from running game under Vista to Win7/8. I added -dd_sw & -SingleCpuOrders & it loads much faster as well as runs. Not sure which fixed but they each might've fixed something as the game loads in a blink of an eye & the game now doesn't lockup upon loading savegame either

(in reply to Sigma8510)
Post #: 152
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 12/31/2015 12:12:48 PM   
ancient doctor

hi to all and a happy new year.
I also have problems with very slow scroll speed of the game.
Updated win 10 from win8.1 on a new pc(havent tested the game on 8.1,i use an older laptop with win 7 to play for now)
Tried hard what has been offerd as info here but nothing so far.
Any ideas?

(in reply to jcjordan)
Post #: 153
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 12/31/2015 10:07:14 PM   
pnzrgnral

Kudos to witpqs. I had the same lag problem with the cursor. Two changes solved this - the ".exe" instead of "autorun" and the -deepColor switch, including where to make the changes. Everything's running fine now. Now, if only I could load Rome: Total War (I never had it installed on this PC, only on my laptop) and run Medieval: Total War (Viking). Yeah, they're older games, but I really enjoy them. I hate what Microsoft does with Windows.

Rangers Lead The Way!
Sua Sponte

(in reply to ancient doctor)
Post #: 154
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 1/7/2016 9:08:23 PM   
leethompson

I have windows 10 - Game really slow
I have tried adding -altFont -archive -wd -deepColor -px1366 -py768 -fixedArt -noFire -SingleCpuOrders to the end of the shortcut
- but just get "problem with Shortcut"
- The name C:\Matrix Games\ War in the Pacific\War in the Pacific.exe" -cpu4 specified in the target box is not valid.
Please help
Cheers

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 155
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 1/7/2016 10:02:59 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: leethompson

I have windows 10 - Game really slow
I have tried adding -altFont -archive -wd -deepColor -px1366 -py768 -fixedArt -noFire -SingleCpuOrders to the end of the shortcut
- but just get "problem with Shortcut"
- The name C:\Matrix Games\ War in the Pacific\War in the Pacific.exe" -cpu4 specified in the target box is not valid.
Please help
Cheers

you need the words Admiral Edition in the name of the .exe file and Admiral's Edition in the subdirectory name

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to leethompson)
Post #: 156
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 1/8/2016 6:34:24 PM   
leethompson

Hi BBfanboy
Many thanks for the response
I don't have the Admirals Edition - I have the basic version 1.806 previous to that.
Cheers
Lee

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 157
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 1/9/2016 12:19:14 AM   
BBfanboy

I presume you know how to use the file system, Windows Explorer? Open it with the icon showing a file folder in a holder, or use the Windows key + the E key to open explorer.
Click on your "C" drive, then find the Matrix Games subdirectory and click on that. Click on the game subdirectory and then the actual game executable file (.exe).

At the top of the Windows Explorer screen you will have the full path to your executable file, starting from C: but it will likely use > symbols between subdirectories instead of the / symbol used by the shortcut. Note down the path EXACTLY as it shows, including correct spacing and Upper Case or Lower Case characters. If there is a - symbol, make sure you use the hyphen to the right of the 0 key in the top row rather than the - minus key of the number keypad.

< Message edited by BBfanboy -- 1/9/2016 1:20:11 AM >

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

Post #: 158
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 1/9/2016 5:14:24 AM   
Alfred

quote:

Hi BBfanboy
Many thanks for the response
I don't have the Admirals Edition - I have the basic version 1.806 previous to that.
Cheers
Lee

None of the Command Line Performance Switches work for classical WITP. They are only available for AE.

Alfred

Post #: 159
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 1/9/2016 5:24:33 AM   
BBfanboy

Did not know that! Thanks Alfred.

leethompson - my advice has changed: buy WITP-AE, it is on sale (some report for 50% off) for a brief while longer.

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 160
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 1/9/2016 10:50:18 AM   
leethompson

Thanks for the additional information Alfred/BBfanboy - bit of a bummer really, to play the game I have to buy AE, update it to the latest issue, add all the art files, then add the Command Line Performance Switches.
Don't know if I really need to buy it that bad - will reflect on it for a while
Cheers
Lee

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 161
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 1/9/2016 2:58:18 PM   
witpqs

quote:

Thanks for the additional information Alfred/BBfanboy - bit of a bummer really, to play the game I have to buy AE, update it to the latest issue, add all the art files, then add the Command Line Performance Switches.
Cheers
Lee

If you do wind up playing AE then the time spent fiddling with command line switches to get the ones for you will be trivial in comparison to the amount of time that players spend on AE. There is tons of help here on the forum to get the switches right, especially if you read the threads that already exist about that.

Similarly, upgrading to the latest is just 'part of the installation process' if you are talking about adding in the current Beta version, which of course you don't have to do. And it is my understanding that when you purchase the game the download usually reflects the 'latest official' update (not including subsequent Beta releases).

Good luck with your decision.

Post #: 162
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 1/9/2016 3:37:25 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

quote:

Cheers
Lee

If you do wind up playing AE then the time spent fiddling with command line switches to get the ones for you will be trivial in comparison to the amount of time that players spend on AE. There is tons of help here on the forum to get the switches right, especially if you read the threads that already exist about that.

Similarly, upgrading to the latest is just 'part of the installation process' if you are talking about adding in the current Beta version, which of course you don't have to do. And it is my understanding that when you purchase the game the download usually reflects the 'latest official' update (not including subsequent Beta releases).

Good luck with your decision.

And a further point, you do NOT need to change the ART files right away, you can start playing the game and when you have that learning curve under control you will have more time and energy to put into swapping art files - which does not affect your game in progress if the art files are compatible with the version you are playing.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 163
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 1/9/2016 5:46:07 PM   
leethompson

OK bought the AE version - couldn't really say no!!! just don't tell the wife lol
Game installed and updated to 1.02 from the Matrix website

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 164
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 1/9/2016 7:25:55 PM   
leethompson

My laptop has win 10 on it, not upgraded. I have set the shortcut & exe to Win 8 capability with no increase in speed.
- Could someone confirm if -f -px1280 -py1024 -altFont -skipVideo -dd_sw -archive -SingleCpuOrders -deepColor is the correct cut and paste.
Additionally is it the C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition exe file or the shortcut on the desktop that I cut and paste the above into it

My desktop is set to 1600 x 900

Thanks

Post #: 165
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 1/9/2016 10:10:26 PM   
pws1225

quote:

My laptop has win 10 on it, not upgraded. I have set the shortcut & exe to Win 8 capability with no increase in speed.
- Could someone confirm if -f -px1280 -py1024 -altFont -skipVideo -dd_sw -archive -SingleCpuOrders -deepColor is the correct cut and paste.
Additionally is it the C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition exe file or the shortcut on the desktop that I cut and paste the above into it

My desktop is set to 1600 x 900

Thanks

Those are the exact same switches I use on my Win 10 machine and am having no problems with speed. The only difference is that I have the game set to Win 7 compatibility. If I remember correctly, some users were experiencing speed issues in Win 8 as well, so setting compatibility to Win 7 may work for you too.

And congrats on getting AE. You won't regret it.

Post #: 166
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 1/10/2016 12:27:43 PM   
leethompson

I having difficulty with including these switches.
When I add the following
-f -px1280 -py1024 -altFont -skipVideo -dd_sw -archive -SingleCpuOrders -deepColor
to the end of the exe file - it doesn't work anymore
If I try it in the shortcut on the desktop it doesn't work either. What am I missing. Do I add it to the exe file and then create a shortcut?
or
Can anyone point me to a step by step way for dummies!!

Thanks

(in reply to pws1225)
Post #: 167
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 1/10/2016 1:00:24 PM   
witpqs

I am working on a guide for that. As a temporary measure, start at post #398 on page #130 of this thread:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3224205&mpage=130&key=#

Post #: 168
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 1/10/2016 1:12:31 PM   
BillBrown

Maybe it should be post 3898?

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 169
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 1/10/2016 1:31:02 PM   
leethompson

ok managed to workout where I was going wrong - I was putting the 'switches' within the "" and not outside. Have now applied it and it seems to have sped up the game.
Thanks

(in reply to BillBrown)
Post #: 170
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 1/10/2016 2:13:30 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: BillBrown

Maybe it should be post 3898?

Yes, I'm a dummy who can't type!

(in reply to BillBrown)
Post #: 171
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 1/10/2016 3:27:48 PM   
BillBrown

Chimps have fat fingers.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 172
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 1/11/2016 4:27:06 PM   
Ginetto

The thread on Windows 10 compatibility problems with WITP/AE is getting pretty weighty and many of us I'm sure are increasingly confused after reading six pages of entries and having tried endless fiddles with switches.
Personally I gave up playing the game on my W10 PC and have dusted off my older Windows XP machine, which makes no fuss at all.
My hope is that Matrix Games one day will be moved by pity and bring forth a nice big fat patch which will force this terrific and ageless game to run on Windows 10 as it should.

Gino

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 173
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 1/12/2016 1:05:17 AM   
BBfanboy

The game is fine. It is the fiddling that MS does that screws up the works. The changes in Windows can be adjusted but because of differing hardware there is no "one-size-fits-all" script that Matrix can provide to automate the adjustments.

Life favours those who are persistent and willing to try new things.

(in reply to Ginetto)
Post #: 174
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 1/12/2016 1:14:07 PM   
Ginetto

OK. No patch. But at least someone come up with a COMPLETE glossary of all these switches, what they mean and what they do. A few are intuitive, most aren't.
WITPQS somewhere mentions looking up n. 130 in another thread as starters. I did but I'm still confused. I have no problem in understanding that what we have to work on is the "Target" window. But "-f", "-w", ""-4cpu", etc. etc. etc. No idea.

Gino

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 175
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 1/13/2016 12:48:03 AM   
BBfanboy

Ginetto, you are asking people to repeat what has already been posted and discussed in this thread. Please spend some time scanning the pages for things that might apply to you.
The definition of most switches is on page 1, post 19 (thank you witpqs!)

(in reply to Ginetto)
Post #: 176
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 1/13/2016 2:34:35 PM   
Alfred

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ginetto

OK. No patch. But at least someone come up with a COMPLETE glossary of all these switches, what they mean and what they do. A few are intuitive, most aren't.
WITPQS somewhere mentions looking up n. 130 in another thread as starters. I did but I'm still confused. I have no problem in understanding that what we have to work on is the "Target" window. But "-f", "-w", ""-4cpu", etc. etc. etc. No idea.

The Command Line Switches are detailed at the beginning of the patch notes. These are found in your AE directory.

Alfred

(in reply to Ginetto)
Post #: 177
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 1/13/2016 3:54:25 PM   
Admiral DadMan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alfred

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ginetto

The Command Line Switches are detailed at the beginning of the patch notes. These are found in your AE directory.

Alfred

Files like "Readme.doc" and "WhatsNew.pdf" are a dead giveaway. Instructions are right there on the first pages:

"IMPORTANT - Dual/Quad Core Performance and Command Line Switches:"

Scenario 127: "Scraps of Paper"
(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 178
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 1/13/2016 3:57:25 PM   
Admiral DadMan

***REDACTED***

< Message edited by Admiral DadMan -- 1/13/2016 4:59:18 PM >

Scenario 127: "Scraps of Paper"
(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 179
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 2/25/2016 9:19:35 PM   
leethompson

Hi everyone again
Laptop has Win10
12 gig of Ram
AMD A10-8700P Radeon R6 1.8GHz 64
Received my copy of WITP AE updated it to 1.7.11.24 and reviewed this forum.
Added the following:
-f -px1280 -py1024 -altFont -skipVideo -dd_sw -archive -SingleCpuOrders -deepColor into the shortcut
This sped up the game but it is still slower than the old game - any further advice to help speed up the game?
Cheers in advance

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> RE: Win10 upgrade issue Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI