Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: No meat on the bone.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Medieval] >> Thirty Years' War >> RE: No meat on the bone. Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: No meat on the bone. - 9/8/2015 4:52:53 PM   
Gilmer

If you are worried about the amount of turns in the campaign, the first several years go quickly because it starts as a revolt within the HRE and you have 1-2 formations to move per turn. You can whip through several years fairly quickly. A lot more quickly than most of their other titles.

As for why they chose it, I think that it was the decision of people who are loosely related to Ageod and who used their engine.

I know about the Thirty Years War but not a lot. These games give me a reason and the incentive to research the conflict and many of the leaders and reasons behind it. These games are wonderful for learning about the past.

< Message edited by H Gilmer -- 9/8/2015 5:54:08 PM >

"Venimus, vidimus, Deus vicit" John III Sobieski as he entered Vienna on 9/11/1683. "I came, I saw, God conquered."
He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon

(in reply to salazarus)
Post #: 31
RE: No meat on the bone. - 9/8/2015 5:00:02 PM   
Moltke71

To learn about TYW, try Geoffrey Parker's and C.V. Wedgewood'a books. Bookfinder.com has some good deals on Wedgewood's book.

< Message edited by Bismarck -- 9/8/2015 6:24:35 PM >

Jim Cobb

(in reply to Gilmer)
Post #: 32
RE: No meat on the bone. - 9/8/2015 6:10:36 PM   
Lobster

It always strikes me as a bit melodramatic when someone complains about a game they don't even play. It's like complaining about an item of food that you have neither tasted nor smelled.

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.

(in reply to Moltke71)
Post #: 33
RE: No meat on the bone. - 9/8/2015 7:58:12 PM   
Aurelian

http://www.amazon.com/Thirty-Years-War-Europes-Tragedy/dp/0674062310/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1441742195&sr=1-1&keywords=peter+h+wilson

Is a good one.

If the Earth was flat, cats would of knocked everything off of it long ago.

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 34
RE: No meat on the bone. - 9/9/2015 12:42:53 PM   
Jorgito

How about some feedback from someone who's already played it?

After Saturday afternoon with the game I can confirm this is garbage.
1. Price - £20. OK, not too bad, but these days you can buy Early Access games on steam from £10 and they will be much much better.
2. Subject - interesting, that's why I went for it despite my previous (mostly so so) experiences with AGEOD
3. The game itself - absolute rubbish. Same old engine (ok, it works so why not) but it crashed at least 5 times. Missing description, spelling errors. Come on, is this a beta or what?
I played the bohemian revolt scenario and the grand campaign as Catholics. All settings on normal.
Here's the list of some issues I remember:

Bohemia revolt scen:
- I won every single battle, I even scored some morale points (most of the battles end without moral shift) but there's no way to get the major victory as my morale never gets over 175, nor the opponent's drop below 40. There is no way for it to happen as I see it. So, a minor victory. Every time. Boring but ok.

Campaign
- Enemy leaders are visible after their units have been destroyed, just lingering over map in your 100% controlled provinces.
- Bohemians keep getting artillery reinforcements in Prague which is Catholics occupied. Clever. I just parked a regiment of cossacks there and was given free captured units every year.
- I used the auto-buy option for buying replacements and at the start of the turn AI does buy it causing your supplies (War Supplies in game) to go into negative value.
- I destroyed the Protestants quickly but after Denmark there was no Sweden or French intervention. That means that from 1630 to the very tedious 1648 nothing happened!!! I had stacks of doom (worth 1500 combat points), 800 ducats and loads of WS with nothing to do. And the best part is - it was a minor victory (31000 points vs 1500) as I didn't take Stettin to win an automatic victory. The thing is you can't because it's lockout out, probably until Swedish entry :(
In the end it was a wasted afternoon I'm never getting back.

The game as it is sadly follows the same path as previous AGEOD games - brilliant idea (like Pride of Nations) but poor execution. Bugs you would not expect to see from betas and lack of planning for late game development.

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 35
RE: No meat on the bone. - 9/9/2015 1:02:51 PM   
loki100

ok and what settings did you use, if you set up the AI with no bonuses it will be easy to beat, give it a hand and its a challenge.

I've played the Paladins scenario a couple of times from both sides. AI is fine in that, looks for advantages, with the weaker side is good at evading battle, with the stronger side goes looking for battle.

(in reply to Jorgito)
Post #: 36
RE: No meat on the bone. - 9/9/2015 3:05:27 PM   
Uxbridge

I spent 10 hours yesterday playing the Protestants in the full campaign, and, in my view, I have already got my moneys worth from the game. I don't play one turn a minute like Jorgita, so I haven't gotten very far yet, only Spring 1624. Instead I take time to consider every turn carefully, looking at rules and trying to understand the mechanics. I have had the odd crash or two, and I noticed some columns in the Regions list not working properly.

I have tried a lot of Ageod games before and failed for various reasons. But I learned to like Pride of Nations (even though I gave it up on the ground of some ecenomical issue [in the game, that is] that wasn't resolved before I lost interest) and Alea Jacta Est which I only stopped playing when my opponent had to quit.

This one I liked immediately and I hope the issues Jorgita and others have pointed out, will be adress in patches soon. I'm all happy this far.

Oh, yes ... and I found one of my ancestors among the units.

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 37
RE: No meat on the bone. - 9/9/2015 4:17:20 PM   
rsallen64

I can't wait to get this game and give it a try. I love the TYW period. And yes, I am one of the 1% of Americans who are familiar with this period. I've spent $30 on games before that gave me only several hours of play, mediocre at best. I've never had that experience with one of Ageod's games, and I don't expect it with this one. The details in the map, the research behind the factions and the leaders, the CHANCE to even PLAY this period is worth the money to me. I never thought any game company would dive into this period. I would pay twice the amount asked for the chance to game this period. And I do have the Wedgwood, Parker, and the latest TYW tome that I paid full price for.

Desert War 1940-1942 Beta Tester
Agressors: Ancient Rome Beta Tester

"The greatest and noblest pleasure which men can have in this world is to discover new truths; and the next is to shake off old prejudices." Frederick the Great

(in reply to Uxbridge)
Post #: 38
RE: No meat on the bone. - 9/9/2015 9:12:40 PM   
Rosseau

It is exciting when AGEOD hits on a topic that is of prime interest to you. After Spanish Civil War (no interest), I prefer the "big" games like TEAW where the main AGEOD team is working on the game. Also, these games usually cost more, understandably.

Maybe an outside developer will do a Southeast Asia game starting with France's "occupation."

(in reply to rsallen64)
Post #: 39
RE: No meat on the bone. - 9/10/2015 12:33:13 AM   
rhondabrwn

I would like to see a mod based on the alternative history presented in Eric Flint's "Ring of Fire" books

http://www.amazon.com/1632-Ring-Fire-Eric-Flint/dp/0671319728

Exploring the Thirty Year's War map has already been educational in putting the novels into proper perspective.

The Baltic Naval War would make a great scenario

http://www.amazon.com/1634-The-Baltic-Ring-Fire/dp/1416555889/ref=pd_bxgy_14_text_z

Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

My old Piczo site seems to be gone, so no more Navajo Nation pics :(

(in reply to Rosseau)
Post #: 40
RE: No meat on the bone. - 9/10/2015 1:08:47 AM   
Gilmer

quote:

ORIGINAL: rsallen64

I can't wait to get this game and give it a try. I love the TYW period. And yes, I am one of the 1% of Americans who are familiar with this period. I've spent $30 on games before that gave me only several hours of play, mediocre at best. I've never had that experience with one of Ageod's games, and I don't expect it with this one. The details in the map, the research behind the factions and the leaders, the CHANCE to even PLAY this period is worth the money to me. I never thought any game company would dive into this period. I would pay twice the amount asked for the chance to game this period. And I do have the Wedgwood, Parker, and the latest TYW tome that I paid full price for.

I like games from this era just because. I did a let's play of Rise of Prussia and thoroughly enjoyed it, but I did encounter a bug.

I have not had a crash in this game, knock on wood, but I know others have.

I know that there is really just one person behind this and I expect he will iron out the bugs.

"Venimus, vidimus, Deus vicit" John III Sobieski as he entered Vienna on 9/11/1683. "I came, I saw, God conquered."
He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon

(in reply to rsallen64)
Post #: 41
RE: No meat on the bone. - 9/10/2015 4:42:56 AM   
Duck Doc

Well, I started the thread then retracted my comments and now admit I was wrong in my assumptions AND bought the game. I have bought a number of AGEOD games and have thought every one including TYW to be more than worth the cost of admission many times over. There is one short, two medium and one long scenario in TYW. Should be enough to keep me occupied for quite a while. I now don't know what prompted me make my ill-considered and impulsive post and I regret it. I guess I am just human after all. Give me a break...

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lobster

It always strikes me as a bit melodramatic when someone complains about a game they don't even play. It's like complaining about an item of food that you have neither tasted nor smelled.

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 42
RE: No meat on the bone. - 9/10/2015 5:32:05 AM   
Leibst

Glad to read that Dale_H. We are working on fixing issues and improving things.

(in reply to Duck Doc)
Post #: 43
RE: No meat on the bone. - 9/11/2015 5:25:33 AM   
Ripster8

I encourage those interested in the time period to give TYW a try. Yes, it is brand new and it has some bugs. But it is completely playable and enjoyable in its current state. With a little tweaking this could be a real masterpiece. I bought the boxed and download version to support this effort since there are no other strategic-operational level games covering this time period available today. The AGE engine runs very well and very quickly in this particular game since, as stated above, there aren't that many units in play at any one time. The manipulation of combat units is much simpler than in other AGEOD games and the the supply system is very straightforward once you get the hang of it. So, give it a try, give it some time and stay positive!

(in reply to Leibst)
Post #: 44
RE: No meat on the bone. - 9/11/2015 1:43:35 PM   
gwgardner

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dale H

Well, I started the thread then retracted my comments and now admit I was wrong in my assumptions AND bought the game. I have bought a number of AGEOD games and have thought every one including TYW to be more than worth the cost of admission many times over. There is one short, two medium and one long scenario in TYW. Should be enough to keep me occupied for quite a while. I now don't know what prompted me make my ill-considered and impulsive post and I regret it. I guess I am just human after all. Give me a break...

Please go back to your first post in the thread and edit it, as a retraction.

I've played the game and love it. Great learning tool about that period in history.

(in reply to Duck Doc)
Post #: 45
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Medieval] >> Thirty Years' War >> RE: No meat on the bone. Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI