Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Best Altitude for Sub Planes?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Best Altitude for Sub Planes? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Best Altitude for Sub Planes? - 9/5/2015 8:19:52 PM   
Seytan

Is keeping the default 6k best? I seem to lose a lot of planes like that.
Post #: 1
RE: Best Altitude for Sub Planes? - 9/5/2015 9:29:41 PM   
dr.hal

There really is no default per say although the game sometimes start recon flights out that 6K altitude. Many folks keep them low so as to get a better chance of obtaining an increase in the spotting level of the target unit. I'm not sure that altitude makes any difference, although logic says that it should. It will be interesting to see what folks say that have tested this out. However what DOES make a difference is altitude vs anti-aircraft fire. The higher you go the less flak you take (figuratively as well as literally)! Many recon flights especially over high intensity AA targets fly at 20K feet or more. Hal

(in reply to Seytan)
Post #: 2
RE: Best Altitude for Sub Planes? - 9/6/2015 12:37:53 AM   
crsutton

I vary my subs hunters from between 1,000 ft to 5,000 ft. There are all kinds of theories about what is the best height but no one really seems to know. If you got the experience you are going to hit some subs.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to dr.hal)
Post #: 3
RE: Best Altitude for Sub Planes? - 9/6/2015 2:01:51 AM   
zuluhour

I've never had an ASW A/C attack above 1,ooo'.

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 4
RE: Best Altitude for Sub Planes? - 9/6/2015 2:10:57 AM   
dr.hal

Sorry, my post was about general search, I didn't see the "sub" part of it... so you can disregard my input. My apologies. Sub searches seem to be best at 1000 feet, but if you KNOW a sub is in the area, 100 ft (but be prepared for lots of pilot fatigue).

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 5
RE: Best Altitude for Sub Planes? - 9/6/2015 4:55:31 AM   
Seytan

Ah no that's what I was actually asking about lol. Sorry if it wasn't clear enough. Sub planes, sub float planes.
quote:

ORIGINAL: dr.hal

Sorry, my post was about general search, I didn't see the "sub" part of it... so you can disregard my input. My apologies. Sub searches seem to be best at 1000 feet, but if you KNOW a sub is in the area, 100 ft (but be prepared for lots of pilot fatigue).

(in reply to dr.hal)
Post #: 6
RE: Best Altitude for Sub Planes? - 9/6/2015 1:47:41 PM   
dr.hal

OH! So even my second input is wrong! Isn't life confusing?

(in reply to Seytan)
Post #: 7
RE: Best Altitude for Sub Planes? - 9/6/2015 2:57:55 PM   
crsutton

I find it is not altitude related. Unless someone has run tests to show the contrary. In my experience as long is the aircraft are set below 6,000 feet they will attack subs. Density and experience seems to be the key. But as I said nobody really seems to know.

Below are my air sub kills as of 2/43. About 1/3 of my sub kills have been with aircraft so it seems to be working.

Attachment (1)

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to dr.hal)
Post #: 8
RE: Best Altitude for Sub Planes? - 9/6/2015 4:51:59 PM   
Alpha77

He means the floatplanes on subs not asw planes (right)

For what purpose ? Search or recon ? For search it should be quite easy, as lower the plane the better it can spot SMALL craft, the higher up the safer it is from AA but can miss (do not see) the smaller craft....

For recon the subplanes seem useless, they have no camera. It may be that they will recon ships at the base however.

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 9
RE: Best Altitude for Sub Planes? - 9/6/2015 4:54:19 PM   
Alpha77

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton

I find it is not altitude related. Unless someone has run tests to show the contrary. In my experience as long is the aircraft are set below 6,000 feet they will attack subs. Density and experience seems to be the key. But as I said nobody really seems to know.

Below are my air sub kills as of 2/43. About 1/3 of my sub kills have been with aircraft so it seems to be working.

I always used 1000 for asw. What I noted tho is that units that also are set to perent of train will not give good results. Also if you use 100% asw is the best (ofc they will tire then quite fast)....

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 10
RE: Best Altitude for Sub Planes? - 9/6/2015 8:46:47 PM   
crsutton

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alpha77

For what purpose ? Search or recon ? For search it should be quite easy, as lower the plane the better it can spot SMALL craft, the higher up the safer it is from AA but can miss (do not see) the smaller craft....

For recon the subplanes seem useless, they have no camera. It may be that they will recon ships at the base however.

Oh, well never mind then....

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to Alpha77)
Post #: 11
RE: Best Altitude for Sub Planes? - 9/7/2015 6:38:25 AM   
Alpha77

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alpha77

Oh, well never mind then....

Interestingly the op report says "glen takes recon photos" but there are no photos... the DL of target is also not increased. But the Glen will spot ships in harbor and give estiminate of number of units it seems.

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 12
RE: Best Altitude for Sub Planes? - 9/7/2015 8:57:53 PM   
zuluhour

I've never had results like that.

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Best Altitude for Sub Planes? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI