Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: WitE 2

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> RE: WitE 2 Page: <<   < prev  32 33 [34] 35 36   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: WitE 2 - 8/3/2016 10:49:07 PM   
Icier

Part of the enjoyment of the game is that it is pleasing to the eye, so what sort of map & counters do intend to use.
also like the idea of boxes.

(in reply to Joel Billings)
Post #: 991
RE: WitE 2 - 8/4/2016 1:06:42 PM   
RedLancer

It's the same map as WitW - just the eastern bit.

The counters are essentially the same as WitE and WitW although we are adding a few more to better show units like Ski Brigades. If you don't like them they are really easy to mod if you have graphic's skills.

John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev

(in reply to Icier)
Post #: 992
RE: WitE 2 - 8/4/2016 10:04:52 PM   
Icier

any chance that the counters could have the option to flick to a character figure?

(in reply to RedLancer)
Post #: 993
RE: WitE 2 - 8/5/2016 12:08:37 PM   
RedLancer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ice

any chance that the counters could have the option to flick to a character figure?

These work with WitW and WitE. Adding them as a switch is a low priority task. Anything beyond this is unlikely to happen and would need a modder if they still don't suit.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3753980

John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev

(in reply to Icier)
Post #: 994
RE: WitE 2 - 8/5/2016 12:13:28 PM   
zakblood

i have been using the counters in the link for a long while now, and they work great

(in reply to RedLancer)
Post #: 995
RE: WitE 2 - 8/5/2016 8:52:17 PM   
Aditia

Those counters!!

You heathens... The goddess of wargaming shall smite you down

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 996
RE: WitE 2 - 8/5/2016 9:00:45 PM   
RedLancer

Heathen - no, perhaps a heretic.

I have my own set of more accurate NATO counters that I use. As this thread shows we do try and please the customer.

John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev

(in reply to Aditia)
Post #: 997
RE: WitE 2 - 8/5/2016 9:09:42 PM   
zakblood

as i don't understand Nato ones, we are not all perfect

(in reply to RedLancer)
Post #: 998
RE: WitE 2 - 8/5/2016 10:49:03 PM   
Peltonx

Allot of good stuff

Beta Tester WitW & WitE

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 999
RE: WitE 2 - 8/5/2016 11:06:24 PM   
Icier

thank you Red Lancer..they look great...if you ever want change back, how would you do it?

(in reply to RedLancer)
Post #: 1000
RE: WitE 2 - 8/5/2016 11:07:45 PM   
Icier

Thank God...for the heathens, otherwise the world would be a boring place.

(in reply to Aditia)
Post #: 1001
RE: WitE 2 - 8/6/2016 12:04:12 AM   
Aurelian

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ice

Thank God...for the heathens, otherwise the world would be a boring place.

Yes it would.

Until the Apple Girl shows up with the hammer.

If the Earth was flat, cats would of knocked everything off of it long ago.

(in reply to Icier)
Post #: 1002
RE: WitE 2 - 8/18/2016 9:54:05 AM   
wosung

Just one wish for WitE 2:

Please speed up the turn resolution time for the AI.

In WitE 1 Beta v 1.09 1941 Grand campaign vs. German AI summer 1942 it's up to more than 60 min. This makes the game unplayable. Tech forum advise doesn't change this a bit, nor do better PC specs.

Extremly slow turn resolution didn't happen in v 1.00. What good is all the hard work patching for *realistic* or *balanced* combat, OOB, logistics, etc. if you cannot play the game solo vs. the AI?

And WitE 2 will be even more of a monster game?

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 1003
RE: WitE 2 - 8/18/2016 1:54:06 PM   
timmyab

You might need a faster computer. It takes about 5 minutes for an AI turn on my PC.
Also you probably know already, but turn combat messages off ('0' key)

(in reply to wosung)
Post #: 1004
RE: WitE 2 - 8/18/2016 1:57:57 PM   
zakblood

AI turn time for me is about 3 to 5 mins, altering settings help on the AI turn, and also weather / views / settings etc etc

(in reply to timmyab)
Post #: 1005
RE: WitE 2 - 8/18/2016 2:14:23 PM   
Confusedesh

Question about the map.

I presume the files are still .tga files and while I use Jison's map which is a work of art I have no idea how he went about creating it besides doing a humongous amount of work using photoshop.

Anyhow I am curious if the map in WitE2 is the same as WitE1 I noticed that some of the textures are repeated and while this could simple be a user created brush do you use any tool or program to automatically create terrain textures?

…..... or is it just hard work? I suspect hard work.

PS. Perhaps a third party map editor is used?

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 1006
RE: WitE 2 - 8/18/2016 2:53:57 PM   
SigUp

quote:

ORIGINAL: Confusedesh

Question about the map.

I presume the files are still .tga files and while I use Jison's map which is a work of art I have no idea how he went about creating it besides doing a humongous amount of work using photoshop.

No it isn't. With WitW the map was changed to a tiles-based system.

(in reply to Confusedesh)
Post #: 1007
RE: WitE 2 - 8/18/2016 3:00:23 PM   
wosung

Timmyab, Zakblood, thank you.

You're both talking about 1941 GC in summer 1942?

Until then AI turn time for me is about 10 to 15 min. Which is ok.

Combat messages are off. Played around with game settings, antivir, no other programm open, etc. Reinstalled and newly patched the game. No exotic frontline, besides the fact that Red Army ist better off than RL. (2Core, 2,4 Ghz, 2B Ram).

In 1942 60 min. for maybe 6 German AI attacks per turn. In 1941 German AI makes dozens of attacks in just 10 min. What's the difference?

But besides my individual problems: For WitE 2 please take care of the AI turn res. time.

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 1008
RE: WitE 2 - 8/18/2016 4:33:38 PM   
RedLancer

quote:

Question about the map.

Anyhow I am curious if the map in WitE2 is the same as WitE1 I noticed that some of the textures are repeated and while this could simple be a user created brush do you use any tool or program to automatically create terrain textures?

The WitE1 and 2 maps are very different. The WitW/E2 map is a mosaic made up of tga art tiles. Each tile corresponds to a ground type and the slight differences between the six ground conditions.

The tiles are made in a standard art program like photoshop. They are placed using the game editor. The only restriction in the release version is the ability to change terrain type but the art is 100% moddable.

You could create a facsimile of Jison's work but it is a lot of effort as there are currently about 1,200 tiles. In the alpha of WitW when the map had many less tile variations I modded a version of Jison's work to learn the system. It is doable.

John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev

Post #: 1009
RE: WitE 2 - 8/18/2016 5:42:52 PM   
Confusedesh

quote:

ORIGINAL: Red Lancer

quote:

Question about the map.

The WitE1 and 2 maps are very different. The WitW/E2 map is a mosaic made up of tga art tiles. Each tile corresponds to a ground type and the slight differences between the six ground conditions.

The tiles are made in a standard art program like photoshop. They are placed using the game editor. The only restriction in the release version is the ability to change terrain type but the art is 100% moddable.

You could create a facsimile of Jison's work but it is a lot of effort as there are currently about 1,200 tiles. In the alpha of WitW when the map had many less tile variations I modded a version of Jison's work to learn the system. It is doable.

So its a bit like HOI3.......

A texture file for a terrain type (which can be changed) so for example if you changed one of the mountain textures to the face of Donald Trump you could have Trumps face appearing all over the Caucasus mountains.

So relatively easy to change the appearance of the map in WitE2 compared to WitE1.

< Message edited by Confusedesh -- 8/18/2016 5:44:24 PM >

(in reply to RedLancer)
Post #: 1010
RE: WitE 2 - 8/18/2016 5:54:53 PM   
RedLancer

I don't have HOI 3 so I can't confirm or deny. Your analogy is correct and the process is simple but broad in scope with so may hexes. Where we add more flavour is by having multiple choices of each terrain type with slight differences between them. If you did it correctly you could have a gradient of colour to show elevation.

John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev

Post #: 1011
RE: WitE 2 - 8/18/2016 10:24:06 PM   
Confusedesh

quote:

ORIGINAL: Red Lancer

I don't have HOI 3 so I can't confirm or deny. Your analogy is correct and the process is simple but broad in scope with so may hexes. Where we add more flavour is by having multiple choices of each terrain type with slight differences between them. If you did it correctly you could have a gradient of colour to show elevation.

Hmm interesting, what do you use to tell the game what texture to use?

Anyhow I look forward to seeing it someday or perhaps I should just buy WitW, mind you I would have loved 1939 to 1940.

< Message edited by Confusedesh -- 8/18/2016 10:26:26 PM >

(in reply to RedLancer)
Post #: 1012
RE: WitE 2 - 8/19/2016 9:04:04 AM   
RedLancer

quote:

Hmm interesting, what do you use to tell the game what texture to use?

Anyhow I look forward to seeing it someday or perhaps I should just buy WitW, mind you I would have loved 1939 to 1940.

There is a map editor embedded within the game editor. That has the functionality to specify what art to use. WitW and E2 have the same map artwork and coding. I'm sure the WitW players would like a modded map and your efforts could be ported across to WitE2 eventually.

John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev

Post #: 1013
RE: WitE 2 - 8/21/2016 1:08:19 PM   
speedyglides

Will it be possible to read game data such us reinforcements/withdraws, losses, etc. to create any type of tool for easily keeping track of some importante things un a game, like oob, SU's attached, producción, etc.?

I think it could make the admin work (necessary un any war :) somewhat lighter and easier to follow.

(in reply to RedLancer)
Post #: 1014
RE: WitE 2 - 8/21/2016 1:25:24 PM   
HMSWarspite

I haven't found any need for e tea admin tools I. WitW. I assume this system will.be read across to E2 ?

I have a cunning plan, My Lord

(in reply to speedyglides)
Post #: 1015
RE: WitE 2 - 8/22/2016 1:44:39 PM   
speedyglides

It is not mandatory but a few things need a lot of work browsing through diferentes windows and needing to note down things. For me SUs management is a good example, where you have to check things in the many different HQs and needing track of the exact situation throughout the turns needs a lot of admin work. Even having some "big pictures" is difficult some times. It is a matter of UI so being able to read the game data could allow the community to improve this area.

< Message edited by speedygh -- 8/22/2016 1:47:52 PM >

(in reply to HMSWarspite)
Post #: 1016
RE: WitE 2 - 8/23/2016 2:38:33 AM   
NotOneStepBack

Will there be support for dual monitors at all?

(in reply to speedyglides)
Post #: 1017
WitE exploit going to be removed from 2.0? - 9/14/2016 9:51:25 PM   
Peltonx

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4147881&mpage=1&key=�

Beta Tester WitW & WitE

(in reply to NotOneStepBack)
Post #: 1018
RE: WitE exploit going to be removed from 2.0? - 9/15/2016 8:44:32 AM   
RedLancer

For those who don't want to follow the link in Pelton's post it is to a thread where rmonical 'asked' about on map Soviet Engr Bdes in WitE2 and Pelton 'asked' about Soviet Unit creation. (Apologies if my precis is a little inaccurate but the original posts are there to see).

Currently in WitE2 all Soviet Engrs are Off Map Support Units. I don't think that will change. Trey (el hefe) has conducted a complete review of soviet engineer capability, ensuring that the correct distinctions are made between assault engineers and construction engineers. I think it's safe to say that this is the one area where the differences between WitE and WitE2 TOE(OB)s are the greatest.

In response to Pelton's question on Soviet unit creation we have yet to code that area. The current thinking is that soviets will still be able to create units but the numbers of any particular type will be capped. I appreciate the sentiment on balance and exploitation but for WitE2 we are still very much in alpha and our focus is getting the basic building blocks in place rather than fine tuning balance. However we still seek to ensure that the system doesn't get out of kilter.

For those wondering what has been done here is a little taste of some of the progress.
- A new Factory Navigation screen - it shows where is building what and how many have been built. This links to the new chassis / airframe build system. For the data gurus we have split factory data to its own generic data file.
- Factory evacuation
- In the background we added a time jump system to the Editor. This allows us to advance an existing scenario to a new date with the system implementing TOE Changes, Name Changes (no longer linked to TOEs), arrivals, withdrawals and moves between Theatre Boxes. This saves the scenario designers many hours of effort.
- Added ability to create depots without an active rail link
- Started to add first winter rules
- Air Divisions
- Map regions and roads
- New right click mouse menu (this will save thousands of miles in mouse scrolling) - see screen shot

...and many more changes. WitE2 is perhaps now as close to WitW as WitE is to WitW. It is certainly not WitW in the East anymore.

Attachment (1)

John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev

(in reply to Peltonx)
Post #: 1019
RE: WitE exploit going to be removed from 2.0? - 9/15/2016 11:53:18 AM   
Peltonx

Nice thanks for quick response.

Seems you guys are strengthening areas that 1.0 was weak in at release.

I am guessing, game when released will be close to "finished" by all the information you have provided.

Keep up the good work

Beta Tester WitW & WitE

(in reply to RedLancer)
Post #: 1020
Page:   <<   < prev  32 33 [34] 35 36   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> RE: WitE 2 Page: <<   < prev  32 33 [34] 35 36   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI