Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: WitE 2

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> RE: WitE 2 Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: WitE 2 - 10/17/2015 9:37:08 PM   
Peltonx

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mehring

basicly for yrs 2by3 has tried to control the tempo of the game by the logistics model when the issue has always been combat loses to both sides.

The logistics of WitE remains fundamentally the same, I look forward to a better model in WitE 2. That said, combat losses ARE undeniably ONE OF A NUMBER of issues which detract from realism. To slow operational mobility by reduced supply throughput will undoubtedly make the game worse if the combat model and other things- leadership evolution for just one example- is not overhauled concurrently. Losses are too low, and Pelton is not the only person to have noticed this. Less operational mobility= less combat= less losses. To make the game work, a new, realistic supply throughput only makes addressing the low losses problem more urgent.

The Russian do not require many MP's to attack as the germans are tring to hold the lines.

So logistics mean little to Russian and everything to Germany, basic Blitz stuff.

The new logistics system slows play to WW I as can be seen when fighting gets to France I personally have several WitW AAR's

I have played both systems

Beta Tester WitW & WitE

(in reply to Mehring)
Post #: 91
RE: WitE 2 - 10/18/2015 8:21:13 AM   
RedLancer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pelton

quote:

ORIGINAL: M60A3TTS

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pelton
.05 changes have killed the game 43-45 based 100% on the combat results from my last few turns. The tweaks to combat results has made ratios Middle Earth from what I am seeing alrdy.

As you do a bit too frequently, you aren't backing up your claims with anything. You may have a completely valid point, but if you don't support it with screenshots at least, you are not likely going to get the support you are looking for on the forums.

I have started a thread alrdy and now I am seeing that 42 ratio is 1.7 to 1 also when they were 3 to 1 some time 4 when u won.

and why is it I have to prove my point when I am write over and over and 2by3 does not have, when they are wrong more times then write?

Both combat engine give the same results that's a give as they know

Pelton

The WitE and WitW combat systems are not the same. Even with the changes introduced in WitW Alpha after the code split 3 years ago the comprehensive change logs for morvael's excellent improvements show numerous code changes. Your own thread on 42 ratio changes demonstrates how different results can be between WitE updates let alone two different games. Please stop pedalling your own perceptions and opinions as the one and only truth; it's not that simple.

Everyone Else

I've got the message that for WitE2 we need to check the loss ratios and I have asked for constructive ideas on how to increase losses in a historic manner (rather than some blanket modifier). To re-emphasise for WitE2.0 Dev I am not interested in any WitE game stats because the game differences are so great the data has no value for WitE2. Many thanks to those who have posted their suggestions - they are now in my good ideas notebook.

I am also going through the suggestions thread and so far almost everything has already been introduced or is outside the remit of 2by3. For those looking for a snippet of recent change gossip - you'll know in WitW that hex road quality is set on a country by country basis; we have recently set the ability to set the road quality by individual hex.

John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev

(in reply to Peltonx)
Post #: 92
RE: WitE 2 - 10/18/2015 8:34:30 AM   
morvael

Make sure major roads (line of hexes with better road level) is separate from rail lines, if this is allowed by scale. To funnel panzers away from clearing rail, like it was in history, since they went via roads. This was a source of delay for rail resupply.

(in reply to RedLancer)
Post #: 93
RE: WitE 2 - 10/18/2015 8:54:52 AM   
cardolan

quote:

For those looking for a snippet of recent change gossip - you'll know in WitW that hex road quality is set on a country by country basis; we have recently set the ability to set the road quality by individual hex.

Cool.

With all its flaws I still think Wite is the best wargame about the russian campaign ever made.

Realy looking forward to Wite2. Please, keep the colour manual update and the steam key. I do not mind paying a premium purchasing the game through Matrix if that supports the development of future games but I really apreciate the convenience of Steam.

< Message edited by cardolan -- 10/18/2015 9:56:00 AM >

(in reply to RedLancer)
Post #: 94
RE: WitE 2 - 10/18/2015 9:17:23 AM   
Mehring

we have recently set the ability to set the road quality by individual hex.

Sorry Pelton, 2 by 3 DO listen. They just take an awful long time to make some of the changes.

Now, not a biggy in WitE as Strategic air war doesn't really figure, but about clearly readable/changable FB load out designations for WitW, any movement?

As for WitE(2) low stats for at-start Russian leaders has been discussed somewhere and makes infinite sense to many of us. How about finally unhooking 'morale' from doctrine/training, it strikes me as an unholy union. If two such characteristics need to be fudged, a doctrinal cap on experience gain makes more sense to me.

< Message edited by Mehring -- 10/18/2015 10:21:29 AM >

“Old age is the most unexpected of all things that can happen to a man.”
-Leon Trotsky

(in reply to cardolan)
Post #: 95
RE: WitE 2 - 10/18/2015 10:23:10 AM   
RedLancer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mehring

we have recently set the ability to set the road quality by individual hex.

Sorry Pelton, 2 by 3 DO listen. They just take an awful long time to make some of the changes.

Now, not a biggy in WitE as Strategic air war doesn't really figure, but about clearly readable/changable FB load out designations for WitW, any movement?

As for WitE(2) low stats for at-start Russian leaders has been discussed somewhere and makes infinite sense to many of us. How about finally unhooking 'morale' from doctrine/training, it strikes me as an unholy union. If two such characteristics need to be fudged, a doctrinal cap on experience gain makes more sense to me.

'We' take time because we haven't managed to code an extra hour in our day. As for FB loadouts I do remember the discussion but I'm not sure how many changes we have made since you last played WitW and what you are suggesting we do.

John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev

(in reply to Mehring)
Post #: 96
RE: WitE 2 - 10/19/2015 12:36:57 AM   
Tejszd

Suggestion WitE2 to encourage both sides to be more aggressive/take risks which could cause them to get burned/hurt without forcing the player to do it would be to award points for holding victory locations every turn with a larger amount for hold it at the end (like the old Atomic World at War series of games). Another reward for taking capitals and or a large number of cities would be a hit to the other sides morale or even a country surrendering....

(in reply to RedLancer)
Post #: 97
RE: WitE 2 - 10/19/2015 12:59:54 PM   
cardolan

What about making victory locations semi random.

When the game begins victory points awarded for holding certain hexes are determined within a range of victory points.

Not two games will be the same. I find the first turns of the game repetitive.

(in reply to Tejszd)
Post #: 98
RE: WitE 2 - 10/21/2015 6:46:21 AM   
Kronolog

Is there any possibility that you will extend the map all the way to Murmansk in WitE 2, and include the units fighting there?

(in reply to cardolan)
Post #: 99
RE: WitE 2 - 10/21/2015 7:03:16 AM   
zakblood

i still only have 20 hours logged on WITE, but over 200+ for WITW so look forward to the WITE2 and will focus then the same amount of time and effort into that, look forward to the return to the the beast lair and see then how it goes, the bear with claws is a mighty beast once awoken...

< Message edited by zakblood -- 10/21/2015 8:04:02 AM >

(in reply to Kronolog)
Post #: 100
RE: WitE 2 - 10/21/2015 7:37:23 AM   
morvael

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kronolog

Is there any possibility that you will extend the map all the way to Murmansk in WitE 2, and include the units fighting there?

I too would like to know that. Opens some interesting what-ifs, and does justice to Finland's effort.

(in reply to Kronolog)
Post #: 101
RE: WitE 2 - 10/21/2015 8:03:53 AM   
LiquidSky

Yup...here is Murmansk

Attachment (1)

“My logisticians are a humorless lot … they know if my campaign fails, they are the first ones I will slay.” – Alexander the Great

(in reply to morvael)
Post #: 102
RE: WitE 2 - 10/21/2015 8:08:34 AM   
morvael

It's on the map, yes. But is there action planned (units etc)?

(in reply to LiquidSky)
Post #: 103
RE: WitE 2 - 10/21/2015 8:24:10 AM   
LiquidSky

I can't imagine them having this map and not using the area provided. Although in the interest of full disclosure, I know nothing about what is or isn't going to be in WitE2. This map is from the editor in WitW.

You should buy it, it really is a fun game.

The map is so large, I can only fit a small amount of it on the highest zoom out.

EDIT: It obviously looks like a work in progress. Since they started last week I wouldn't read too much into this.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by LiquidSky -- 10/21/2015 9:25:20 AM >

“My logisticians are a humorless lot … they know if my campaign fails, they are the first ones I will slay.” – Alexander the Great

(in reply to morvael)
Post #: 104
RE: WitE 2 - 10/21/2015 8:42:30 AM   
morvael

Yeah, it would be a waste not to use this area, but there is a precedent: both WitE and WitW shows part or all of the Balkans, yet you can't invade there and fight.

(in reply to LiquidSky)
Post #: 105
RE: WitE 2 - 10/21/2015 11:01:44 AM   
Great_Ajax

Airfields have been added and I am adding the new units to the OOB now.

Trey

quote:

ORIGINAL: morvael

Yeah, it would be a waste not to use this area, but there is a precedent: both WitE and WitW shows part or all of the Balkans, yet you can't invade there and fight.

"You want mercy!? I'm chaotic neutral!"

WiTE Scenario Designer
WitW Scenario/Data Team Lead
WitE 2.0 Scenario Designer

(in reply to morvael)
Post #: 106
RE: WitE 2 - 10/21/2015 11:03:07 AM   
morvael

Lovely!

(in reply to Great_Ajax)
Post #: 107
RE: WitE 2 - 10/21/2015 11:59:22 AM   
chaos45

The issue with the far north is it will need some pretty good supply/force stacking restrictions otherwise whats to stop a side from overcommitting there where in real life it was a really low troop density due to terrain/weather/supply issues.

(in reply to morvael)
Post #: 108
RE: WitE 2 - 10/21/2015 12:04:35 PM   
LiquidSky

WitW uses depot supply. HQ's don't supply their subordinates.

So logistics will place a brake on Axis aggression as Murmansk is supplied by rail (and perhaps sea) whilst the Finn/germans up their won't. The amount of supply/ammo your unit has will be how strong the unit is. So theoretically the weaker Russian units will be stronger and more numerous because they can supply more.

I suppose that a supreme effort using air transports might cause a problem. But even so there are a lot of hexes between Leningrad and Murmansk and I bet not enough Axis to cover it all.

(in reply to chaos45)
Post #: 109
RE: WitE 2 - 10/21/2015 12:29:54 PM   
loki100

I'd agree with LS.

That sort of sector is where the WiTW logistic model will shine. No need for special rules, just the frustration that you have to deploy slightly less troops than you can supply or you will never, ever, be able to go over to the offensive. And spend an age slowly watching the supply in small relatively isolated depots build up to the point that you can risk an attack.

Add in a good weather/terrain effects model and you'll capture why the front was mostly static despite the huge prize of Murmansk

(in reply to LiquidSky)
Post #: 110
RE: WitE 2 - 10/21/2015 12:59:38 PM   
TitaniumTrout

Murmansk sounds interesting, but I'd hate to see feature bloat on an area that might not add that much fun. Just because it's on the map, Murmansk, or the Balkans, doesn't mean it adds meaningful gameplay.

At a certain point it's a slow front that just adds more clicking and micromanaging without much chance of materially impacting the game much.

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 111
RE: WitE 2 - 10/21/2015 1:06:42 PM   
chaos45

Also was static because politically the Finns didnt want to push on. So will need a factor for finn stop line like current South finn stop line in WiTE 1

The reasons the Soviets didnt crush the finns in LW and accepted terms is because the Finns didnt push the murmansk rail line and didnt push south on leningrad when they could have early in the war. It was finnish politics that had them fight a restricited war because they knew in the event the Germans lost they would have no negotiating tools if they caused the Soviets to much damage- revenge an all. Some comment about Stalin remembering the favor the finns did early in the war. The finns werent fighting a total against the Soviets like the Soviets/Germans were against each other.

The Political/national will of the axis-allied nations is something often forgotten about in these types of games.

Another thing you could bring up in WiTE 2 is the possibility of Germany bringing Turkey into the war. Would give more motivation for a far south drive by the Germans to reach the turkish border- which was another reason I think the Germans pushed so hard into southern russia- wasnt just oil but political gain with neutral parties. Also taking all of the south and murmansk could result in alot of lendlease being lost for the soviets as most of it arrived via those 2 routes.

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 112
RE: WitE 2 - 10/21/2015 1:51:17 PM   
hugh04

Going back to the idea of morale and how it is modeled. As earlier suggested tactical doctrine and morale really should be separated. For the soviets, you could base improvements in tactical doctrine to losses incurred. These losses could be total, on attack or on defense. At the beginning of the game soviet troops would perform poorly and suffer very high casualties when attacking and defending. After X amount of losses they would graduate to a better combat efficiency score. You could even give bonus's in increasing combat efficiency by saying more losses suffered in a defined time frame get you even more of an increase combat efficiency. This is separate from better weapons. At there best weapons are married to a tactical doctrine and the combination of both is what made units perform better.

(in reply to chaos45)
Post #: 113
RE: WitE 2 - 10/21/2015 4:18:47 PM   
Joel Billings

At the moment we are planning on including the entire Finnish front, but it's very early in development. There are some real issues with including all that land in the north. We may have to allow on map battalion sized units (like we do in African scenarios in Torch) in the far north as the AI won't do well if it is not able to build some kind of a line. In fact the political rules/restrictions and the limitations on the AI will probably be pushing us hard in this area. Bottom line is we'd like to include it, but we also have to build a game the AI can play.

All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard

(in reply to Kronolog)
Post #: 114
RE: WitE 2 - 10/22/2015 8:49:49 AM   
sven6345789

I would recommend using Murmansk in an extra scenario that might last from June 1941 till December 1941

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Silver_Fox

Otherwise you would probably need to many extra rules on this level the game has.

So include an extra "Silver Fox " Scenario if there is time for it.

Another possibility would be something like a Murmansk Box, with players allocating units to it. Problem will be that it will be exploited.

< Message edited by sven6345789 -- 10/22/2015 10:07:19 AM >

Bougainville, November 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9. It rained today.

Letter from a U.S. Marine,November 1943

(in reply to Joel Billings)
Post #: 115
RE: WitE 2 - 10/22/2015 1:04:20 PM   
Manstein63

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joel Billings

At the moment we are planning on including the entire Finnish front, but it's very early in development. There are some real issues with including all that land in the north. We may have to allow on map battalion sized units (like we do in African scenarios in Torch) in the far north as the AI won't do well if it is not able to build some kind of a line. In fact the political rules/restrictions and the limitations on the AI will probably be pushing us hard in this area. Bottom line is we'd like to include it, but we also have to build a game the AI can play.

This would be really cool if it can be done for WitE 2.0
Another couple of suggestions

Instead of having just a west front box could it be split into France, Italy & Africa, & perhaps the Balkans if that isn't included on the main
WitE 2.0 map

I'm surprised no one has asked for this but could it be possible that you can swap Tank SPG & AG from the units & into & out of the pools as you can do for aircraft, as It seems a bit odd for you to have an elite formation like the SS & GD panzer genadier / motorised divisions running around with 38ts & Panzer III's in their units when a non elite panzer division has a compliment of Panthers & Panzer IV's.Also the StuG battalions being able to swap out the StuG IIIB for the Stug IIIG. The same should apply for soviet tank & mech corps why have T34/76's in an elite formation when you could have T34/85's

Another thing if possible give us the option to use the computer controlled rail repair units manually if desired.

Manstein63

'There is not, nor aught there be, nothing so exalted on the face of god's great earth, as that prince of foods. THE MUFFIN!!!'

Frank Zappa (Muffin Man)

Post #: 116
RE: WitE 2 - 10/22/2015 4:47:53 PM   
tiger111

Please don`t spend too much time utilising the far North of Findland. You`ve got enough to be getting on with I`m sure.

Have Finnish Front as an expansion later.

Best to keep initial map similar to WITE.

Also expanding the Western Front box to France,Italy,(Afrika)is good idea.

Just my puppence.

(in reply to Manstein63)
Post #: 117
RE: WitE 2 - 10/22/2015 8:32:35 PM   
sillyflower

Here's my penny's worth in no particular order whilst I await the .05 hotfix

1 Map scope fine for campaign game. Any more and you are up against the law of diminishing returns both in game terms and also impact on limited design time better spent on more key areas.

2 I like the idea of increased MPs for going over hexes fought over in player's turn. Worked well in Next War. It meant that it took my Soviets 3 or 4 turns to crush NATO rather than 2 or 3. Does not have to be the same for both sides all the time. For eg, it could dis-applied to Germans' for T1 and ?T2, and the impact on Russians diminish later on as they got more skilled.

3 Combat system needs revamp. Massive complexity under the hood which doesn't really affect the end result - or that's what it seems to me anyway.

4 Losses. I understand the arguments for but we need a game that works. As has been written, losses are low vs history, but there were many in uniform not in game so their losses are invisible in game. Also, I imagine that many RL casualties have short term injuries ie less serious than WiTE's disabled category. I have just got, but not yet read, 'The Rzhev Slaughterhouse' by Svetlana Gerasimova. In it she says that over 15 months the Red Army lost 2 million casualties -just over 30K per turn in WiTE terms, which would be unworkable.

5 An end to super ants. This was a very irritating problem in GG's excellent predecessor game and surprisingly/sadly also WiTE itself. Suggest some sort of overrun rule where MP cost for divs/corps attacking ants is removed/diminished and whereby ants take the big losses instead of the attacking bigger unit(s). David v Goliath only happened once, and then only because there was just 1 Goliath.

5 Supply. I don't have any original ideas but I've always thought HQBUs were a ludicrous, if necessary, fudge. WiTW seems to be much better, tho' that's only from what I have read about it.

6 To make russians attack in early stages - why not make it a requirement? In the old (SPI?) board game 'Objective Moscow' I think Warsaw Pact had to make X attacks in each of the 1st 3 turns at a minimum of some odds ratio.Failure to do so meant instant loss of game. I also used to have a large East front board game, ? name but made in about 1990, of '41 Southern front where there was also a requirement for soviets to make X attacks in first y turns. Failure meant a morale penalty or something, or it might have meant russians got some reward for achieving the target number. The point is that it can be very simple to impose such a requirement or make it something the Russian will want to do.

7 You could do the same to replicate Hitler's 1st winter 'stand fast' order.

NB These last 2 might be better as options (or more sensibly combined a single 'historical' option) as not everyone will like them.

8 I like the idea of VPs per objective per turn held. Easy enough for a computer to do as it will encourage the holding of ground for real strategic/political reasons that players do not currently have to consider.

9 Get Jison to do the map

web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

Reply: They already know you're a gamer. What other shame can possibly compare?

(in reply to tiger111)
Post #: 118
RE: WitE 2 - 10/22/2015 10:43:05 PM   
Peltonx

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joel Billings

The book The Winter War would be a good place to start.

Light reading here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Silver_Fox

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Tali-Ihantala

Reading the historical records Finland is clearly under rated in WitE.

I don't see a few Finnish Regiments wiping out Russian Corps or Finland Bleedding Russia in 44 to the point they(Russia) had to agree to terms with Finland.

Finland was the only Axis Country to survive without the USA or Russia running the show.

Northern Finland sucked as far as logistics went then ADD in weather and terrain.

WitE 2.0 will have to have special weather and terrain or it simply will not beable to reflex the historical facts of operations in the area.

I know people will throw in there politic responces, but the facts remain the facts.

Finland surived WWII unlike the rest of the Axis, because Stalin did not want to be embarrasses again by a country with 3.6 million vs 200 million.

Lol when you can't even get it done in summer of 44

Vyborg–Petrozavodsk Offensive

< Message edited by Pelton -- 10/22/2015 11:52:36 PM >

Beta Tester WitW & WitE

Post #: 119
RE: WitE 2 - 10/23/2015 9:55:44 AM   
HMSWarspite

I am glad we have got back to a more focused discussion. There are now some good points being made.

quote:

ORIGINAL: sillyflower

Here's my penny's worth in no particular order whilst I await the .05 hotfix

1 Map scope fine for campaign game. Any more and you are up against the law of diminishing returns both in game terms and also impact on limited design time better spent on more key areas.

+1. Not going to reject it if supplied, but do not do it if there is a significant cost in time and effort,and especially if the AI struggles. An off map 'box' (a la WitW EF box) if you must, but it wasn't important and could never be at a EF 1941-45 level. Even given the carrot of cutting a major lend lease port, the Germans/Finns didn't prosecute seriously. Tell you anything?

quote:

2 I like the idea of increased MPs for going over hexes fought over in player's turn. Worked well in Next War. It meant that it took my Soviets 3 or 4 turns to crush NATO rather than 2 or 3. Does not have to be the same for both sides all the time. For eg, it could dis-applied to Germans' for T1 and ?T2, and the impact on Russians diminish later on as they got more skilled.

+1. The only objections so far seem to be based on concerns as to what it would do in WITE1, which is irrelevevant. Also, rolling over a typical 1-1 takes very little MPs, so you really are not going to have much effect on T1 of WitE2.

quote:

3 Combat system needs revamp. Massive complexity under the hood which doesn't really affect the end result - or that's what it seems to me anyway.

Not so certain here. I think the biggest issues with the losses may not be the pure combat system, but I am prepared to debate it. But first we need data. And not just losses by army by year. I do not understand how the engine reflects the intensity of combat. If the defender doesn't want to fight (RL), it is hard to inflict heavy losses in the 'combat', but of course the withdrawal (lets call it that to differentiate voluntary and involuntary retrograde movement) must be properly executed or it will become a retreat. I haven't seen a detailed discussion of how the engine actually works (although there are lots on the effects!)

quote:

4 Losses. I understand the arguments for but we need a game that works. As has been written, losses are low vs history, but there were many in uniform not in game so their losses are invisible in game. Also, I imagine that many RL casualties have short term injuries ie less serious than WiTE's disabled category. I have just got, but not yet read, 'The Rzhev Slaughterhouse' by Svetlana Gerasimova. In it she says that over 15 months the Red Army lost 2 million casualties -just over 30K per turn in WiTE terms, which would be unworkable.

5 An end to super ants. This was a very irritating problem in GG's excellent predecessor game and surprisingly/sadly also WiTE itself. Suggest some sort of overrun rule where MP cost for divs/corps attacking ants is removed/diminished and whereby ants take the big losses instead of the attacking bigger unit(s). David v Goliath only happened once, and then only because there was just 1 Goliath.

I am very against 'special rules'. The key to the combat system must be that the basic mechanics are robust and produce a plausible range of results across as wide a range of situations as possible. Any special rules tend to produce a discontinuity in the results curve, which gives opportunities for anomalous results or player exploits.

quote:

5 Supply. I don't have any original ideas but I've always thought HQBUs were a ludicrous, if necessary, fudge. WiTW seems to be much better, tho' that's only from what I have read about it.

6 To make russians attack in early stages - why not make it a requirement? In the old (SPI?) board game 'Objective Moscow' I think Warsaw Pact had to make X attacks in each of the 1st 3 turns at a minimum of some odds ratio.Failure to do so meant instant loss of game. I also used to have a large East front board game, ? name but made in about 1990, of '41 Southern front where there was also a requirement for soviets to make X attacks in first y turns. Failure meant a morale penalty or something, or it might have meant russians got some reward for achieving the target number. The point is that it can be very simple to impose such a requirement or make it something the Russian will want to do.

Again, I hate special rules and they should only be used for one off unique situations (like Pearl Harbour for example, where the preparedness of the port was way outside of any realistic war footing). The key is to work out WHY the Russians attacked, and address that. That is, provide similar stimuli and choices for the Russian player...

quote:

7 You could do the same to replicate Hitler's 1st winter 'stand fast' order.

Again, special rules disease. You need to consider what you want the game to reflect. Who is the Axis player? Is (s)he Hitler? Or the Army high commands with Hitler above? Players generally seem not to like being forced to do things. On the other hand, in front of Moscow in 1941 I think the stand fast order is not a bad thing to do , so the game needs to reflects that as a valid choice. Later on it is less so. Players also seem to dislike VP driven bahaviours, but the Germans could have a parameter (morale, or something) that rewards a forward defense.

I dont like cutting down the damaging effect of the first winter on GE. But I can see why a GE player would like to be able to prepare (with training/winter clothes). However unless the effect of that is reflected (less other supply, delayed reinforcements), the game is in danger of having a very detailed historical micro level and a fantasy macro one... I am rambling a little.

quote:

NB These last 2 might be better as options (or more sensibly combined a single 'historical' option) as not everyone will like them.

8 I like the idea of VPs per objective per turn held. Easy enough for a computer to do as it will encourage the holding of ground for real strategic/political reasons that players do not currently have to consider.

9 Get Jison to do the map

I like the idea of VP per turn. This addresses so many odd tactics, (first winter mass withdrawal, lack of aggressive defence) rather neatly, as well as reflecting issues outside of the game (political/diplomatic aspects etc).

Final point. The game should avoid where ever possible 'scripted' events like national morale changes. They should be driven by on map results - cities changing hands (preferably by number not name - dont want to force axes of attack), losses, number of units in play etc. If National Morale is kept at an amalgam of doctrine and true morale, it could rise with number of combats (maybe wins counting more than losses) and fall by casualties and cities lost etc)

I have a cunning plan, My Lord

(in reply to sillyflower)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> RE: WitE 2 Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI