Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Ai Control

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> RE: Ai Control Page: <<   < prev  65 66 [67] 68 69   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Ai Control - 7/2/2020 5:24:50 AM   
Ajgleskorv

That would be ideal, but the games would be too long for most people. 3 days would be good.

(in reply to Bozo_the_Clown)
Post #: 1981
RE: WitE 2 - 7/2/2020 7:39:12 PM   
AtAtack

I think a "Color Tool" will be great to make the units more visible:

Would be great. At least a color change will be possible of the WitE2 I hope as it was posible right now

(in reply to JamesM)
Post #: 1982
RE: WitE 2 - 7/4/2020 2:59:32 PM   
Wild

How are things progressing Joel? Can we get an update?

(in reply to AtAtack)
Post #: 1983
RE: WitE 2 - 7/4/2020 3:23:39 PM   
pkloop

Will there be a printed manual for the game? I understand the manual evolves but I have no issues writing errata in. Leave a few empty pages in the back for notes. Really prefer printed vs PDF

(in reply to Wild)
Post #: 1984
RE: WitE 2 - 7/4/2020 7:09:59 PM   
Joel Billings

The new testers that started in early June are keeping us very busy the past few weeks. They are finding bugs and we are fixing them. There are only a few items left to be done to be considered at full beta, and they aren't huge items. I'd say we're making decent progress, assuming we see the number of new bug reports fall off over the next couple of weeks. Initial discussions have started with Matrix re releasing some info on the game. I'd guess in the next few months you'll start seeing something.

As for the manual, it's not clear yet whether they'll be a printed manual. The complete manual is huge. Can't say for sure how big it will be as it doesn't have screenshots yet, but it is larger than the WitW manual. The manual has a major section that tries to give just enough to play the game, leaving the details for the follow on chapters. There's also a section that lists the major changes between WitE and WitE2, and between WitW and WitE2. So players of the earlier games can quickly see a list of the major changes.

All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard

(in reply to pkloop)
Post #: 1985
RE: WitE 2 - 7/6/2020 2:57:31 PM   
OberGeneral

Great news! Thanks forthe update. I can't wait to get my hands on WitE 2.

(in reply to Joel Billings)
Post #: 1986
RE: WitE 2 - 7/7/2020 4:20:38 PM   
jimmyPx

Once you hit Beta is there any thought to do doing a Steam Early Access ?

(in reply to OberGeneral)
Post #: 1987
RE: WitE 2 - 7/10/2020 2:57:29 PM   
oldMarinePanzer

Joel,just a thought, how about a manual hosted on your web site, that would allow updates by specific individuals only, make it a "living" manual, constantly getting updated! It seems nowadays that the second you print the manual it becomes "out of date". Perhaps after time there could be several tutorials added to teach certain aspects of the game etc.

(in reply to jimmyPx)
Post #: 1988
RE: WitE 2 - 7/10/2020 4:28:44 PM   
Majick

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joel Billings

The new testers that started in early June are keeping us very busy the past few weeks. They are finding bugs and we are fixing them. There are only a few items left to be done to be considered at full beta, and they aren't huge items. I'd say we're making decent progress, assuming we see the number of new bug reports fall off over the next couple of weeks. Initial discussions have started with Matrix re releasing some info on the game. I'd guess in the next few months you'll start seeing something.

As for the manual, it's not clear yet whether they'll be a printed manual. The complete manual is huge. Can't say for sure how big it will be as it doesn't have screenshots yet, but it is larger than the WitW manual. The manual has a major section that tries to give just enough to play the game, leaving the details for the follow on chapters. There's also a section that lists the major changes between WitE and WitE2, and between WitW and WitE2. So players of the earlier games can quickly see a list of the major changes.

I would pay extra for a properly bound manual as you produced for WITW. But if you don't do that I wouldn't bother with a printed manual, I've got enough trash in my house and electronic is fine ;-)

< Message edited by Majick -- 7/10/2020 4:29:31 PM >

Post #: 1989
RE: WitE 2 - 7/10/2020 9:21:35 PM   
pkloop

"I would pay extra for a properly bound manual as you produced for WITW." --------- me too

(in reply to Majick)
Post #: 1990
RE: WitE 2 - 7/11/2020 2:52:54 PM   
Wild

quote:

ORIGINAL: pkloop

"I would pay extra for a properly bound manual as you produced for WITW." --------- me too

Me as well.

(in reply to pkloop)
Post #: 1991
RE: WitE 2 - 7/14/2020 7:54:44 PM   
OberGeneral

I have signed up to be a Beta tester. Hope I get in.

(in reply to Wild)
Post #: 1992
RE: WitE 2 - 7/15/2020 9:06:44 AM   
enricoix

We have seen no concrete planning but just some broad situation update until now.
And I would like to remind that we are reaching to the 8th month of the year.

Since there has been no manual, no AARs, no stream or even screenshots, I want to ask :

To release the game within 2020 is still valid?
Also as a fan of your work, I would be appreciated if you could give us some more info regarding the roadmap.

Thanks in advance.

Post #: 1993
RE: WitE 2 - 7/17/2020 6:20:05 PM   
Joel Billings

We're making steady progress, but as you say it is getting tight for 2020. You haven't seen anything because it's up to Matrix Marketing to decide when to start showing things, and we need to complete the graphics before starting to show things. We're getting very close to being done with the graphics (waiting on some font work which should be done soon). Testers have completed short scenarios and are finding bugs and providing good feedback. In some ways, the game is in better shape than WitE was back when it was initially released. On a game like this there's always more that can be done, so it's hard to make the call when it's ready for release. My guess is you'll start seeing things in the next 1-2 months, or it means we're slipping into early 2021.

As for the manual, I can guarantee it won't be ready much before release because it's an ongoing project. We hope to start taking final screenshots for the manual within the next few weeks. Based on my past experience I'd be surprised if Matrix made it available, but maybe once Marketing decides to start showing things, we can put up some of the 1 page guides that give a brief overview of different concepts. Not surprisingly this is the longest manual we've ever worked on. It does have the advantage of having a section that covers everything in brief, but even that is not so brief. It also has charts with specific items called out that are different for WitE players, different for WitW players, and different for experienced players of both. If you are interested in the subject and want to get into the details, you will be learning this game for years. Or if you're old like me you can keep relearning parts periodically.

Not sure if there will be another wave of testers as we just let in over 50 back in early June. They're might be one more wave brought in when we reach full beta.

Not sure what you are referring to re "info regarding the roadmap".

-- Soren Kierkegaard

(in reply to enricoix)
Post #: 1994
RE: WitE 2 - 7/17/2020 9:43:47 PM   
enricoix

First of all, thanks a lot for the open answer.
Even though it hurts me deeply to hear about 2021 and I want to get my hands on the game as soon as possible, it is really great to see things progressing steadily.
I have no doubt that this will be a fantastic game.

With "roadmap" I meant a basic planning which leads until the game launch. (with milestones if possible)
But I believe it is difficult to predict as things are not completely in your hands.

Post #: 1995
RE: WitE 2 - 7/21/2020 10:39:28 PM   
Elma666

I really hope it will give a German Version,PLEASE!!!! I pay more for that!

(in reply to enricoix)
Post #: 1996
RE: Ai Control - 7/22/2020 7:35:22 PM   
Nuklearius

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ajgleskorv

That would be ideal

If you make the turns 1 day 99% of players would never see 1942 happening. Imagine the pure horror of taking care of 700 Soviet units and moving each one of them 1 hex at a time. There would be very few battles and most battles would be inconsequential with low casualties and you'd barely see a single operation succeed before resigning out of boredom.

7 days perfect in my opinion.

(in reply to Ajgleskorv)
Post #: 1997
RE: Ai Control - 8/8/2020 3:26:24 AM   
Wild

Would sure love to see Matrix promoting this game more. Some updates, timelines, screenshots it's own forum. Something!!

I'm dying for information. This will be the definitive eastern front game and it just feels like there is no build up.

(in reply to Nuklearius)
Post #: 1998
RE: Ai Control - 8/15/2020 6:26:39 AM   
Zemke

Some games have a variable turn scale, in the slow winter months, the turns are longer chunks of time, while in the "maneuver" seasons time is less days. An compromise maybe week turns in the winter and 3 day turns in the spring thru fall.

"Actions Speak Louder than Words"

(in reply to Bozo_the_Clown)
Post #: 1999
RE: Ai Control - 8/23/2020 3:08:56 AM   
erichswafford

I would love to see smaller turn lengths for the smaller, operational-level scenarios.

Wouldn't it involve simply scaling back the movement factors to implement this? With an IGOUGO system like this, it somewhat cripples these smaller scenarios when the decision cycle is a week long.

Trying to recreate something like the Kamenets-Podolsky pocket becomes really problematic with such long spans during which the enemy can operate with relative impunity.

(in reply to Zemke)
Post #: 2000
RE: Ai Control - 8/24/2020 6:36:12 AM   
Numdydar

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nuklearius

quote:

That would be ideal

If you make the turns 1 day 99% of players would never see 1942 happening. Imagine the pure horror of taking care of 700 Soviet units and moving each one of them 1 hex at a time. There would be very few battles and most battles would be inconsequential with low casualties and you'd barely see a single operation succeed before resigning out of boredom.

No one has any issues with one day turns in War in the Pacific And many people play to the end, or at least until the Japanese navy is gone

(in reply to Nuklearius)
Post #: 2001
RE: Ai Control - 8/24/2020 7:59:19 AM   
JamesM

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nuklearius

quote:

That would be ideal

I agree it would just become too much to play one day at a time. I would probably never finish a scenario, with regards to WitP-AE I play it with set to 4 days per turn. Even with I still stop playing it for a couple of months at a times as it takes far too long.

(in reply to Nuklearius)
Post #: 2002
RE: Ai Control - 8/24/2020 8:07:31 PM   
fritzfarlig

one week a turn is perfect

(in reply to JamesM)
Post #: 2003
RE: WitE 2 - 9/8/2020 12:06:18 AM   
krakowca

I don't post much on these forums, but I would also purchase a printed/bound manual.

If you are tracking votes, it doesn't need to be released before the game releases either.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Anxiously awaiting this release. I played the original War in Russia and War in the Pacific.

Casey K

(in reply to Wild)
Post #: 2004
RE: WitE 2 - 9/12/2020 4:05:01 PM   
OberGeneral

Joel, will you be using Nigel Askeys' books to get accurate TOEs and deployment dates for all units involved in 1941?

https://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Post #: 2005
RE: WitE 2 - 9/12/2020 6:22:45 PM   
Joel Billings

Yes, Trey has always used Nigel's work as a major source for of his OB work, and he's been going through and making some adjustments based on the most recent book. We're giving Nigel a shout out in our manual as he's done great work over the years.

As for the manual, the latest plan is to have a printed manual, but there is a limit to the number of pages that Matrix can print. We've got a lot of great stuff in the manual so the expectation is some of the content will have to be left for online only. We won't know for sure until all of the screenshots are added and the content is finalized and we get a final page count. That work is well underway.

-- Soren Kierkegaard

Post #: 2006
RE: WitE 2 - 9/12/2020 9:22:58 PM   
alty59

When I ordered War in the East full with disk and printed manual, I was really really upset just to receive an undersized manual with just a table of contents : something that was not advertised or at least no really apparent.

I understand that you can't print everything, but, at least, say it explicitely.

Post #: 2007
RE: WitE 2 - 9/12/2020 9:26:24 PM   
alty59

Don't worry, I'll buy it the first day but only 100 % download

(in reply to alty59)
Post #: 2008
RE: WitE 2 - 9/13/2020 4:40:11 PM   
OberGeneral

I just got Volume IIIB. It is incredible!

Post #: 2009
RE: WitE2 - 9/27/2020 7:24:19 PM   
grinning

I've scoured this thread and maybe I missed it, but is there any word on whether WitE2 will have some sort of coop functionality? I read a thread from years ago where a group of players (eight players I think) designated command responsibility for the Axis and Sovs and played a game by email, which I thought was amazing.

Has there been any mention from the devs about incorporating this into WitE2?

(in reply to Ajgleskorv)
Post #: 2010
Page:   <<   < prev  65 66 [67] 68 69   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> RE: Ai Control Page: <<   < prev  65 66 [67] 68 69   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI