Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Question - Using the diesels on Gato-class subs

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> The War Room >> Question - Using the diesels on Gato-class subs Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Question - Using the diesels on Gato-class subs - 9/22/2015 2:56:46 AM   
Warrior33

I am working on a scenario that has 2 USN Gato-class subs.

Their target is a IJN surface force of 12 ships. The IJN Group travels at 12kts.

I cannot seem to get the Gato(s) to travel at flank speed when surfaced using the diesels. In the database it says it should be capable of 18kts on diesels when surfaced but the max speed I can make is 10 kts.

Submerged they will do 16kts for a short sprint,..about 10nm, before the batteries are toast. The batteries do charge when at periscope depth, so that is working correctly.

Is there a way to turn on the diesels or is that all handled automatically by the game engine?
Post #: 1
RE: Question - Using the diesels on Gato-class subs - 9/22/2015 4:26:08 AM   
Warrior33

Ok, I did some experimenting, and I can see that its an automatic function upon reaching a specified depth.

In my case, for both the Gato-class and Balao-class the transition occurs between -67 and -68ft (as displayed in the Unit Fuel tab...the primary power will be highlighted in Bold.)

So, something is possibly amiss? When either class is on the surface, I cannot set flank speed of 18 kts. This is not good for my scenario as the subs need to be able to sprint ahead to get in place for a proper ambush.

Guess I will try some modern diesel subs to see if they behave similarly.

Edit: What does altitude band, throttle "band 2" or "band 3" mean when looking at the engine stats? Could it be that the db has this set incorrectly?

The SS 527 Sailfish is able to reach flank speed of 18kts when surfaced on diesels. All the preceding USN classes are capped at the battery speeds when surfaced.

< Message edited by Warrior33 -- 9/22/2015 5:52:03 AM >

(in reply to Warrior33)
Post #: 2
RE: Question - Using the diesels on Gato-class subs - 9/22/2015 5:22:23 PM   
Schr75

Hi warrior33

Did a quick test, and I think you are right. It appears that the Gato class sub is following it´s battery power speed profile, even though it´s running on diesels on the surface.

This is probably a DB error, and you should report it in the CWDB forum.

Re. altitude bands. These determine the units speed and fuel usage at different altitudes/depths, and different propulsion modes.

In the pic you can see the Gato will do 3 knt on batteries surfaced at creep speed (Band 3: 0-4m) and use 1 battery unit/min.

On diesels surfaced it will do 5 knts (Band 2: 0-4m).

You can also see that cruise and full power on batteries is 5 and 10 knts respectively, which corresponds perfectly with the behavior shown.

It should be 5, 8 and 18 if the diesels were running.

Hope this helps.

Søren

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Warrior33)
Post #: 3
RE: Question - Using the diesels on Gato-class subs - 9/22/2015 11:23:06 PM   
Warrior33

Thanks for checking it out. Yes, I think its probably a db issue.

I'll look for the CWDB thread and make a report.

**BTW, I've found it very interesting using these WW2 era subs. I'm having to use different tactics (i.e... spending alot of time on the surface trying to detect ships with ELINT or active surface radar). I'm an army guy (retired) but I probably should have been a submariner as it's always fascinated me.

For the most part, the majority of WW2 ships are in there for USN. The IJN forces are severely lacking but maybe that will change in the future.

Edit: I tried posting in the CWDB thread but I guess I'm at my post limit or something. Will try again tomorrow if it keeps blocking me.

< Message edited by Warrior33 -- 9/23/2015 1:25:17 AM >

(in reply to Schr75)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> The War Room >> Question - Using the diesels on Gato-class subs Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI