Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

New Stuff

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985 >> New Stuff Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
New Stuff - 9/28/2015 2:28:21 PM   
chrisp

As someone who tried to save the old Talonsoft game (my mods are out there somewhere), I have some questions:

I notice that the problem of helicopters has been fixed (in the TS game, they couldn't go up steep slopes -- they were just vehicles).

How are ATMs handled? One of my original gripes was that units like the BMP2 or the sagger teams had an endless supply of missiles. This is far from realistic. Do these units have limited ammo?

Another problem I had with the original involved MANPAD AA missiles. They would op fire at anything that moved, including infantry. Has this been dealt with?

Chris P.
Post #: 1
RE: New Stuff - 9/28/2015 2:34:31 PM   
z1812

The opportunity fire dialogue allows you to set ranged fire for different target types including no fire at all.

I am sure someone with more knowledge of the game will come along with a fuller answer.

(in reply to chrisp)
Post #: 2
RE: New Stuff - 9/28/2015 3:00:06 PM   
76mm

quote:

ORIGINAL: z1812
The opportunity fire dialogue allows you to set ranged fire for different target types including no fire at all.

I haven't seen this dialog, how do you open it?

(in reply to z1812)
Post #: 3
RE: New Stuff - 9/28/2015 3:03:25 PM   
z1812

Hi 76mm,

I think you must be the same 76mm that posts at the Battlefront site.

CTRL-P opens the dialogue.

(in reply to chrisp)
Post #: 4
RE: New Stuff - 9/28/2015 4:14:54 PM   
76mm

quote:

ORIGINAL: z1812
Hi 76mm,

I think you must be the same 76mm that posts at the Battlefront site.

Yup, same one. Thanks; I'm still working through the manual but hadn't come across that dialog yet.

(in reply to z1812)
Post #: 5
RE: New Stuff - 9/28/2015 11:37:56 PM   
Jason Petho

quote:

ORIGINAL: chrisp
As someone who tried to save the old Talonsoft game (my mods are out there somewhere), I have some questions:

I notice that the problem of helicopters has been fixed (in the TS game, they couldn't go up steep slopes -- they were just vehicles).

Yes, they can now actually fly in different "Flight Zones". See the manual for an explanation how that works. This is fantastic, as far as I'm concerned.

quote:

How are ATMs handled? One of my original gripes was that units like the BMP2 or the sagger teams had an endless supply of missiles. This is far from realistic. Do these units have limited ammo?

Saggers:

Most Sagger units are 2 or 3 SP's. Each SP represents a Sagger team. These teams typically have four missiles per team and an RPG. This gives each Sagger units 8 to 12 launchers per unit plus 2 or 3 RPG's.

The suitcase missile system is only 25 lbs, making them easy to replenish, assuming line of communications are secured. The infantry units were equipped with thousands of the suitcase systems, they were available in abundance.

The operators are carefully selected with high levels of training, with the expectation of firing 50 to 60 simulated rounds to maintain proficiency. Even still, we limited their Action Points for firing to 55, meaning they will get one shot off per turn.

Their life expectancy ended up being, on average, three turns in direct combat, since they don't usually stand up to direct tank fire that well in open terrain. Less if there is supporting infantry.

With the above in mind, no, they aren't limited in ammunition, since it isn't necessary for the conflicts that are being represented. This may change in a NATO war game.

On the other hand, ATGM missile armed helicopter do have limited ammunitions and will run out ammo after 4 shots. They are expected to fly back to their parent HQ, land, reload and fly off again for another sortie.

BMP1:

One thing we did was reduce the number of missile armed BMP's. Many of the BMP's that were carrying support weapons didn't carry missiles. They are identified by BMP1 (no ATGM) in the game.

In the order of battles, I also gave more missile armed BMP's to Class A units, less to Class B and even fewer to Class C units.

Even with that in mind, the BMP's tend to last less than five turns in combat. Their high Action Point cost to fire make them an expensive option to waste as mobile ATGM systems.

quote:

Another problem I had with the original involved MANPAD AA missiles. They would op fire at anything that moved, including infantry. Has this been dealt with?

No, these will target airstrikes and helicopters, especially if you are using the Adaptive A/I optional rule.

Jason Petho

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985 >> New Stuff Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI