Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Trying Out Japan

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> RE: Trying Out Japan Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Trying Out Japan - 11/2/2015 7:58:08 PM   
ChadS

Here's the other--Wuchang appears all red to me, with adjacent green on 2 sides. Does this mean that IF an enemy were in here, it couldn't leave? I'm assuming if one of those comes into Wuchang, then that side will turn Green, and the unit could leave?

Thanks for the info and help. I generally understand the ZoC and path of egress sort of stuff. This is a little more complicated than most games I've played, though.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to ChadS)
Post #: 61
RE: Trying Out Japan - 11/2/2015 8:13:02 PM   
GetAssista

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChadS
So, in this one, Allies can't exit West, NW, or SW, correct?
Yes

Are the colors (red/green) MY view of what the ENEMY can do (so, if I switch sides, it works the same way, same colors), or are those specific to each side?
No switching, Allies always green sides, Japan always red

In these, what is indicated? I'm unsure in the first one what Red all the way around represents. as you can tell, none of the hexes adjacent has an enemy (or a friendly, for that matter).
Hexes with only your troops present automatically award you control of all hexsides

Here's the other--Wuchang appears all red to me, with adjacent green on 2 sides. Does this mean that IF an enemy were in here, it couldn't leave?
Yes

(in reply to ChadS)
Post #: 62
RE: Trying Out Japan - 11/2/2015 8:28:36 PM   
Kull

quote:

This, coupled with the fact that, as Japan, I totally had no idea what I was up against with regards to resources--I think I'm pretty heavily screwed at this point. It is Mar 13. I hold all of Malaya except Johare Bharu and Singapore. I hold 4 points on Borneo, including Mili, and I have a good portion of the Philippines, including Davao, Legaspi, San Fernando, Lingayen, and Batangas.

But, Tokyo ran out of resources. I have resources..but I can't get them moving very quickly. Since mid Feb, I've been dropping tens of thousands of resources in Ominato, but they just seem to vanish. I think they distribute, but there isn't really anywhere that seems to have more than a few days (actually, I haven't figured out if HI, etc runs daily or every few days).

Conversely, Tokyo has a TON of supply, but I can't get it out very quickly. Other ports in Japan have less than 10k, with small exception. And, in a few places, when I drop off supply, it too vanishes. I get that supply moves. But, one mystery--I've dropped off about 40k in supply to Miri, trying to get its Oil and Refinery working, but I can't get the actual base supply to stay above 10k for more than a turn or two. And, the other bases I have on Borneo (specifically Brunei, Kuching, and Beaufort have a combined total of 4300 supplies with about 500 AV in troops, a couple of Engineers that don't count towards the AV, and No planes. Miri has a dozen Nates.

And, China is a mess.

I think I'm going to take what I've learned, couple that with a little better documenting focus, and start over.

It's absolutely worth your time to read Damien's "Japanese Economy" document. My Japan spreadsheet incorporates the vast majority of his recommendations, to include the IMMEDIATE movement of all ships necessary to implement the Resource convoys needed to keep the Japanese economy from imploding.

A few general thoughts:
- Repairing things like Manpower and Resource centers will drain your supply very quickly, so shut them off in newly conquered bases (until you have a supply surplus/repair plan in mind)
- To keep supply where you want it, set stockpiling to "Yes"
- To move it around, change the "Supplies Required" settings.

But before you do anything, read Damien's document!

(in reply to ChadS)
Post #: 63
RE: Trying Out Japan - 11/2/2015 8:50:22 PM   
ChadS

Thanks Kull. I thought I had that document, but now that I look at it, that's not the one I pulled down. I'll read that tonight. It's printing now.

I've used your spreadsheet in the past. That's a lot of work you put in to that! (I can say this because it was a lot of work just following it.) I'll take another look at that, too. As I said, I was outright surprised that I ran out of resources in less than 70 days. I wasn't ignoring it entirely, but I wasn't as diligent as I needed to be, I think.

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 64
RE: Trying Out Japan - 11/3/2015 2:06:04 AM   
rustysi

quote:

(and one HI point to go toward production of planes and ships)

Its two points of HI as well.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to ChadS)
Post #: 65
RE: Trying Out Japan - 11/3/2015 2:41:34 AM   
rustysi

quote:

Thanks Kull. I thought I had that document, but now that I look at it, that's not the one I pulled down. I'll read that tonight. It's printing now.

I've used your spreadsheet in the past. That's a lot of work you put in to that! (I can say this because it was a lot of work just following it.) I'll take another look at that, too. As I said, I was outright surprised that I ran out of resources in less than 70 days. I wasn't ignoring it entirely, but I wasn't as diligent as I needed to be, I think.

Resources (and fuel) in the HI (home islands) get sucked up pretty fast, so here's a little something that may help if you aren't already aware of it. If you open up a bases' info page and cursor over the resources you see a number pop up. This represents the amount of resources required to supply the bases' industries for two days. Now a base will attempt to store 10x that number at minimum. This represents 20 days supply of resources at a base.

An easy way to see if you're not getting enough resources to Honshu is to check Yokohama. This being alphabetically at or near the end of the list of bases in the HI its getting resources last (unless you deliver them there). So when it starts to drop you don't have enough resources on Honshu. It'll normally have resources to the tune of 247k. Now be aware that every so many days this number will be off, and you'll be able to see it at other bases as well. To me this just looks like a game mechanic used to reshuffle resources so you don't need to drop them off at every single base that needs them.

Another thing is not to panic as Yokohama will be slightly under for a while as you ramp up your deliveries. Important places to draw from early game are the islands to the north of Honshu, Taiwan, and Port Arthur. You'll need a lot of xAK's at these locations to keep things working.

Hope this helps.

< Message edited by rustysi -- 11/3/2015 3:43:24 AM >

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to ChadS)
Post #: 66
RE: Trying Out Japan - 11/3/2015 1:20:26 PM   
nashvillen

Tracker is your ally, there are many gems in there that assist you greatly with running Japan and her economy.

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 67
RE: Trying Out Japan - 11/3/2015 2:54:05 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

In these, what is indicated? I'm unsure in the first one what Red all the way around represents. as you can tell, none of the hexes adjacent has an enemy (or a friendly, for that matter).

This one is odd because I see that unit icon as yellow (Chinese standard colour), so the hex should be Allied control with green hex sides. Did you change colours for the Japanese and that unit is really Japanese?

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to ChadS)
Post #: 68
RE: Trying Out Japan - 11/3/2015 4:32:06 PM   
ChadS

That is Japanese. I changed their color to shades of white.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 69
RE: Trying Out Japan - 11/4/2015 4:23:22 AM   
ChadS

I've got a question on R&D vs. Production air and engine factories. Is there a way to convert unused R&D to Prod?

(in reply to ChadS)
Post #: 70
RE: Trying Out Japan - 11/4/2015 11:58:12 AM   
PaxMondo

Sure, choose a production ac.

Pax

(in reply to ChadS)
Post #: 71
RE: Trying Out Japan - 11/4/2015 5:01:24 PM   
ChadS

Question on Altitude

What affect does altitude have? I'm aware of the mission grouping of similar altitudes. I'm also guessing that flak losses are higher in certain bands, and flying higher is better for avoiding flak.

I see that flying at 100 uses the strafe skill for various tasks. And, I recall a chart (mentioned in a previous post) that explained what the different altitudes were for, but I think someone said it's out of date at this point.

So, is there any current info on the pros and cons of various altitudes?

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 72
RE: Trying Out Japan - 11/4/2015 5:46:42 PM   
BBfanboy

With the removal of glide bombing from the code, they type of bombing chosen is down to:

Dive bombing - 10-15K feet bombers dive to a release point between 2-5K so they can be hit by some of the better light AA. This is the most accurate form of bombing.

Level bombing (Low) - 1000 feet only. Very good chance of hitting the target, even with poor bombing skills. Very good chance of the target hitting you with AA! Should only be used by assault bombers with carry lots of guns in the nose to suppress the AA by strafing.

Level bombing (not Low) - 2000 feet to max altitude. Altitude chosen depends on AA, enemy fighters, your fighters, skill of the bomber pilots, target to be hit, terrain and aircraft characteristics. 4E bombers are meant to fly at high level and fighters have difficulty climbing up to fight them unless the enemy has radar warning. Some aircraft like the B-26 are fairly fast and are meant to come in at less than 5K feet, so they are under the radar for most of their approach.

Torpedo Bombing - you can set whatever altitude you wish and they will descend to 200 feet to drop the torpedo. Setting a low altitude like 1000 feet often allows them to sneak in while other bombers keep the CAP busy up high.

Skip Bombing - assault bombers (with an A prefix instead of B) and a few marks of the B-25 can do this. They must train in low naval attack (to a fairly high level before the AI will assume skip bombing) and be set at 1000 or 100 feet for the attack. Very accurate, but heavy AA and ops losses should be expected.

So with so many things to decide, the bottom line is whatever works! Just be aware that bombing troops does not usually show much result at first - you only start to see disabled and then destroyed squads after you have hit them consistently and caused much disruption and fatigue.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to ChadS)
Post #: 73
RE: Trying Out Japan - 11/4/2015 7:07:06 PM   
Skyros

When was glide bombing removed? The only release notes I can find has to do with a tweak back in 09 setting the altitude range to 10-20K in order to glide bomb.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 74
RE: Trying Out Japan - 11/4/2015 7:42:33 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Skyros

When was glide bombing removed? The only release notes I can find has to do with a tweak back in 09 setting the altitude range to 10-20K in order to glide bomb.

I was going by Yaab's post number 34 of this AAR. I vaguely recalled seeing something about glide bombing being done away with too so I went with Yaab's statement, even with the AFAIK qualifier.

(in reply to Skyros)
Post #: 75
RE: Trying Out Japan - 11/5/2015 1:45:35 AM   
ChadS

Working on unassigning then reassigning pilots. Do you get to select your pilots, or are you stuck with luck of the draw? I thought you could pick them out, but only seeing that option for Vet pilots.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 76
RE: Trying Out Japan - 11/5/2015 2:07:31 AM   
BBfanboy

Luck of the draw, but the AI tries to match best skill to plane type, so for a fighter squadron the best air skill trainees are selected first.
To help sort out the dogs, some players start the initial training in their squadrons as "General Training", which gives each pilot a little bit of everything. Set them to train at 2000 feet for this unless you are selecting for assault bombers or torpedo bombers.

Once they rookies have been training for a couple of weeks you can see what skills they have made progress on and which they have not. If your rookie is not showing any sign of progressing in the skill you want him to acquire, swap him out for another candidate. The General Training is not wasted time either - the pilot's overall experience increases much faster if they have training in a variety of skills. Once you are happy with your squadron pool, switch them to start training in the skill they need for combat.

(in reply to ChadS)
Post #: 77
RE: Trying Out Japan - 11/5/2015 2:17:46 AM   
ChadS

Thanks BB.

I did see that if I select Choose Veteran, then manipulate the pool to all, it looks like the pilots I've "cut loose" show up, and I can select them (though I haven't tried to re-pop a full squadron yet).

Can I do this (cut loose and re-assign) with active air squads prior to running turn 1, as well, or will that mess up the missions they're going to fly? I thought I read where someone suggests pooling all the pilots, and assigning them by ability/experience. Didn't know if I could do that with the carrier pilots, etc.

Also, Sweep training I set to 100 feet. Otherwise, I went with 5-10k for many, with Naval Search, Recon, and Transfer set to 10-20k.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 78
RE: Trying Out Japan - 11/5/2015 3:46:09 AM   
BBfanboy

AFAIK when you pick veterans from the General Reserve there is a random factor that decides how far away they are and how long it will take them to arrive in squadron, so, NO, do not repopulate your carrier squadrons before turn 1!

KB pilots are generally excellent anyway. You should not need to do anything with them until their carrier goes into dock for a lengthy time.

(in reply to ChadS)
Post #: 79
RE: Trying Out Japan - 11/5/2015 4:08:21 AM   
ChadS

Yeah, OK. So, I see what you mean. It looks like that feature is more about adding a new pilot to fill a hole in your skillset for a group or something like that, not massive assignments.

That said, I think I'm finally read to go. :)

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 80
RE: Trying Out Japan - 11/5/2015 4:50:54 AM   
ChadS

I'd asked a few posts ago about changing an R&D factory to a prod factory, and how you do that. Pax said just choose a Production AC.

As you can see, I don't have any of those available. This is a partial list, but shows all available Zero models. Note the current A6M2 is not available.

Did I miss something? I do have PDU off--is that the diff? If so, is there no way to convert those factories?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to ChadS)
Post #: 81
RE: Trying Out Japan - 11/5/2015 1:57:06 PM   
BBfanboy

AFAIK, PDU OFF means the upgrade paths for both sides are pre-set in the game, at least for the individual squadron. I am not sure if the Japanese aircraft industry is similarly locked.
In your screen picture I do not see where the A6M2 is unavailable - all those aircraft are in the yellow text colour, not greyed out. That means they are all in production. What does the other side of the screen look like? Or maybe you are in the aircraft engine screen rather than the aircraft manufacturing?

The factories are on one side and the aircraft on another. You select the factory first and then pick the aircraft you want to switch the factory to.
What I am not clear about is the "unused R&D" you mentioned. I always thought the plant doing R&D had to finish all of the R&D for that plane type before it could start converting to production? How do you get unused R&D?

(in reply to ChadS)
Post #: 82
RE: Trying Out Japan - 11/5/2015 4:16:11 PM   
ChadS

OK, so the image I posted is the right side of the screen, after selecting an R&D factory. This is the Ki-202 research factory at Hamamatsu. You'll notice all those airframes have dates after them--that's their current "go live" date--when they'll be done with R&D and ready for production.

I re-read the Production primer, and it sounds like the only time I can change from R&D to production is when a plane is completing it's research phase, and about to become available for production. At that point, I can decide to leave the factory alone, and it will become production, or I can switch what it is working on to another model, to keep it R&D.

Unused R&D -- these are R&D factories that have repair set to NO, to prevent them from using supply, etc. In the economy primer, it suggests repurposing these to build airframes. It doesn't really describe how to do that, though. But, I guess I can toy with it as research progresses.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 83
RE: Trying Out Japan - 11/5/2015 5:41:03 PM   
BBfanboy

Ok, so if you don't want to use the factory for R&D, you switch it to an aircraft production factory by clicking first on the factory and then on the aircraft model you want to produce. ALL the factory points will switch to that model and ALL will be "damaged", so you have to repair them to get the production going. If the model you picked is under R&D already, the factory you are converting will also go to R&D to speed up that process, and then switch to production later.
There is no getting around repairing factories though!

The above describes what I know from PDU ON. If the PDU OFF prevents you from re-purposing a factory, you are stuck with what the AI has pre-set.
Even scarier, if you CAN change the factory production but CANNOT change the squadron upgrade path, you need to make sure your factories are making airplanes your squadrons can actually use!

(in reply to ChadS)
Post #: 84
RE: Trying Out Japan - 11/6/2015 6:21:06 PM   
ChadS

I'm on Dec 12 or so, and have taken the northern bases in Philippines. From my previous attempt, I know that they don't do much for a while, so I set them to rest up.

Is this a good idea in general, to rest after a battle? Or, do you typically push, drive up those fatigue numbers, then rest for a longer period? It seems that the fatigue drops in a sort of exponential manner--a little over a couple of days, then it starts dropping faster.

Any thoughts?

I think I'll start my new AAR tomorrow. I wanted to get a couple of weeks in.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 85
RE: Trying Out Japan - 11/6/2015 8:09:36 PM   
Kull

quote:

Yeah, OK. So, I see what you mean. It looks like that feature is more about adding a new pilot to fill a hole in your skillset for a group or something like that, not massive assignments.

That said, I think I'm finally read to go. :)

A lot of really good information on moving pilots between units and in/out of the Reserve pool in this thread (start with page 2)

(in reply to ChadS)
Post #: 86
RE: Trying Out Japan - 11/6/2015 8:21:38 PM   
Kull

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

The above describes what I know from PDU ON. If the PDU OFF prevents you from re-purposing a factory, you are stuck with what the AI has pre-set.
Even scarier, if you CAN change the factory production but CANNOT change the squadron upgrade path, you need to make sure your factories are making airplanes your squadrons can actually use!

With PDU off, you can change the factories (both types; production and R&D) from one model to another. What you can't do is arbitrarily switch an R&D factory to a production airframe. Only way to do that is to switch it over to the next pending airframe, and convert it to produce the desired model after the research is complete.

For example, let's say it was March 1942 and you wanted the Ki-202 plant in Hamamatsu to produce the Ki-30 Ann (since none are building and it's a kick-ass ASW platform). Switch the factory to the A6M2-N Rufe, wait for it to become a production plant in April 1942, and then switch it over to the Ann.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 87
RE: Trying Out Japan - 11/6/2015 10:01:35 PM   
ChadS

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kull

With PDU off, you can change the factories (both types; production and R&D) from one model to another. What you can't do is arbitrarily switch an R&D factory to a production airframe. Only way to do that is to switch it over to the next pending airframe, and convert it to produce the desired model after the research is complete.

Hi, yep. I think I figured that out. I don't have any pending completion yet, but when I do, I'm going to give that a try (well...do that, as it's the way you do it).

I'd love to talk with you sometime about how you put that spreadsheet together. That looks like literally hundreds of hours of work.....

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 88
RE: Trying Out Japan - 11/9/2015 2:30:25 AM   
ChadS

How, if at all, do you use Sub Tenders, DD Tenders, and the like? I thought they'd refuel/reload subs, but I'm not seeing that happen.

(in reply to ChadS)
Post #: 89
RE: Trying Out Japan - 11/9/2015 2:39:02 AM   
PaxMondo

quote:

How, if at all, do you use Sub Tenders, DD Tenders, and the like? I thought they'd refuel/reload subs, but I'm not seeing that happen.

Be sure that they have supply. They do work as you describe above ....

Pax

(in reply to ChadS)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> RE: Trying Out Japan Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI