Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Red Storm Rising

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Red Storm Rising Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Red Storm Rising - 4/21/2001 12:31:00 AM   
phaelos

Fairly new here, btw. Hello, all. Has anybody read the book (Tom Clancy)? I'm in the middle of it, and had a random thought: How cool would it be to have a campagin designed around the German and/or Icelandic Battles?

"They can't kill me. They'd need a golden bullet from a golden gun. And then only if I stood still."
Post #: 1
- 4/21/2001 12:34:00 AM   
Paul Vebber

Great Idea - wrong game! This game deals with WWII exclusively. Try over at the Modern Battles forum! [ April 20, 2001: Message edited by: Paul Vebber ]

(in reply to phaelos)
Post #: 2
- 4/21/2001 12:39:00 AM   
phaelos

ah. Well, SPWAW is the only game of its type (and only game of matrixgames') that I am at all familiar with.

"They can't kill me. They'd need a golden bullet from a golden gun. And then only if I stood still."

(in reply to phaelos)
Post #: 3
- 4/21/2001 5:00:00 AM   
Kluckenbill

The plan is for SPMW (Modern Wars) to be similar to SPWAW but to accurately portray the capabilities of the more modern units. There's an interesting board for that here also. SP2 was SPI's original attempt to recreate Modern Combat but it was pretty poor compared to SPWAW. I'm confident Matrix will do a much better job. I think (hope) the game is due out by Fall of this year.

Target, Cease Fire !

(in reply to phaelos)
Post #: 4
- 4/21/2001 8:09:00 AM   
Major Ed

It could be an interesting "what if" scenario. What if Hitler had not invaded Russia but concentrated the German forces on defeating England? Some people like these type of scenarios, but it would take a good bit of work to come up with order-of-battle and maps. Check out Wild Bill's posts on how to develope you own scenarios and give it a shot. ----------- "In no other profession are the penalties for employing untrained personnel so appalling or so irrevocable as in the military." -- General Douglas MacArthur

(in reply to phaelos)
Post #: 5
- 4/25/2001 10:45:00 PM   
edppcli

A little off topic but... Clancy is a great author, check out his latest "The Bear and the Dragon" a nice scenario between Russia and PRC with a little American help. Also try Larry Bond (eg. "Vortex") he writes in the same style.

ex coelis

(in reply to phaelos)
Post #: 6
- 4/26/2001 9:47:00 AM   
Flashfyre

There once was a game called Harpoon by Larry Bond.... One of the scenarios included was of this same battle (after all, Tom Clancy was a major backer of the game). Since Harpoon was a modern naval game, the land warfare was very abstracted...but being an old Navy man myself, I loved the game. :D Anyone out there remember this one? It began life as an official training tool for young naval officers. I remember when they installed it on my ship....and since I was a Data Systems Technician, I got to "test" it on numerous occasions. :cool: Bond then converted it to a boardgame in the late 80's (with adjusted stats, of course). Finally, in the early 90's it went to disk (8 of them :eek: ) and onto the home computer.

The Motor Pool http://www.geocities.com/aurion_eq/index.html?976419304550 [email]kmcferren@onemain.com[/email]

(in reply to phaelos)
Post #: 7
- 4/26/2001 10:20:00 AM   
McGib

I remember Harpoon and its many variants :) being an ex-navy type I quite enjoyed it. Maybe someday Harpoon 4 will make it out :D

Ready Aye Ready

(in reply to phaelos)
Post #: 8
- 4/26/2001 12:20:00 PM   
Michael Wermelin

Why don't you take a look at Talonsoft's Operation sealion, the expansion for West Front. There are some really good scenarios and campaigns concerning the invasion of Britain and there is a great lot of job put into it. For all you who enjoy WF and EF, try the Operation Sealion as well. Perhaps it is hard to get today but it was also released in a box called Euorope in Flames. That's how came to get it. It includes EF, WF and all their campaign disks. :)

Attacking is the best of all defences.

(in reply to phaelos)
Post #: 9
- 4/30/2001 11:16:00 PM   
Billy Yank

quote:

Originally posted by Flashfyre: There once was a game called Harpoon by Larry Bond.... One of the scenarios included was of this same battle (after all, Tom Clancy was a major backer of the game).
Also, Larry Bond was an uncredited co-writer of Red Storm Rising, at least according to the forward in the book.

Billy Yank
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
-- Thorin Oakenshield

(in reply to phaelos)
Post #: 10
- 5/1/2001 2:11:00 AM   
Tiger

quote:

Originally posted by Flashfyre: There once was a game called Harpoon by Larry Bond.... One of the scenarios included was of this same battle (after all, Tom Clancy was a major backer of the game). Since Harpoon was a modern naval game, the land warfare was very abstracted...but being an old Navy man myself, I loved the game. :D Anyone out there remember this one? It began life as an official training tool for young naval officers. I remember when they installed it on my ship....and since I was a Data Systems Technician, I got to "test" it on numerous occasions. :cool: Bond then converted it to a boardgame in the late 80's (with adjusted stats, of course). Finally, in the early 90's it went to disk (8 of them :eek: ) and onto the home computer.
I read on Militarygamer that Harpoon IV is not dead yet! If this is true, then it's well worth the price! Micromanaging large scale actions can drive you mad...

I ain't no golden boy,
ain't no Grecian dancer,
and I ain't no loud mouth cowboy from the West...
I'm not the kind of man with all the answers, but I surely know the songs that suit me best.... LL

(in reply to phaelos)
Post #: 11
- 5/3/2001 3:24:00 AM   
Arralen

quote:

Originally posted by Tiger: I read on Militarygamer that Harpoon IV is not dead yet! If this is true, then it's well worth the price!
It is true ! .. unless the management/marketing staff at Ubisoft decides otherwise again. So stay tuned ... One thing: I wouldn't bet that H4 is as much a 'hardcore game' as Harpoon, Harpoon2, H97 and the other variants. I suspect it will be a bit more in the line with 'Fleet Command' or -even worse- 'Fighting Steel' (was that the name?). There's no room for a hardcore-sim nowadays, so that they put it back up into development means most likely that they're going to make it more 'mainstream' I guess . But maybe (hopefully) I'm all wrong :) A.

AMD FX-4300
Gigabyte 970A-DS3P
Kingston 24GB DDR3-1600 (PC3-12800)
Asus GTX 750 Ti OC 2GB GDDR5
Seagate Barracuda SATA III 1TB
Windows 8.1

(in reply to phaelos)
Post #: 12
- 5/3/2001 10:03:00 PM   
Lucky Kaa

quote:

Originally posted by McGib: I remember Harpoon and its many variants :) being an ex-navy type I quite enjoyed it. Maybe someday Harpoon 4 will make it out :D
I'm not sure if you can buy it anymore, but theunderdogs.org has it available for download: http://www.theunderdogs.org/game.php?name=Harpoon+1

(in reply to phaelos)
Post #: 13
- 5/3/2001 11:27:00 PM   
Dan Bozza

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Arralen: I suspect it will be a bit more in the line with 'Fleet Command' or -even worse- 'Fighting Steel' (was that the name?). Arralen: Fighting Steel sounds like a game I played on the C64 - a VERY primitive precursor to SP Modern Warfare. Still, the only thing available at the time :D

"Why do you keep using that word? I do not think it means what you think it means."

(in reply to phaelos)
Post #: 14
- 5/4/2001 12:55:00 AM   
BlitzSS

I understand that Fighting Steel II is also coming out soon. FS is WW2 Naval, but it does sound like it could be about tracked armor. So is there or isn't there going to be a Harpoon IV?

"Nuts"

(in reply to phaelos)
Post #: 15
- 5/4/2001 1:53:00 AM   
Dan Bozza

OK, yes I remember that title. The one I played on the C64 was... something, I don't remember the name! :confused: :confused: The concept was the same as Steel Panthers - similar scale, time period was 1950's to Present, it had a campaign mode. Design your own scenarios, etc. Of course, graphics, sound, AI all stunk compared to SP. But what do you want for 64K of memory?? :eek:

"Why do you keep using that word? I do not think it means what you think it means."

(in reply to phaelos)
Post #: 16
- 5/4/2001 5:09:00 AM   
Dean Robb

At this point, there WILL be an H4. SSI was working on it, then got sold by Mattel to UbiSoft. UbiSoft decided to cancel it but the outcry from gamers was strong enough to convince them to resurrect it. Official website at www.harpoon4.com. It's officially, "Larry Bond's Harpoon 4" based on the latest version (#4) of the board game rules. I've heard from some of the beta testers that (under the SSI banner, anyway) it was true to Bond's vision - realism over eyecandy. We now return to waiting for v5.0 to be posted... :)

Job Security: Being a Micro$oft lawyer...

(in reply to phaelos)
Post #: 17
- 5/4/2001 3:51:00 PM   
Nemesis

quote:

Originally posted by Boz: OK, yes I remember that title. The one I played on the C64 was... something, I don't remember thename! :confused: :confused: The concept was the same as Steel Panthers - similar scale, time period was 1950's to Present, it had a campaign mode. Design your own scenarios, etc. Of course, graphics, sound, AI all stunk compared to SP. But what do you want for 64K of memory?? :eek:
I believe the game you are referring is "Overrun!". Oh, it was FABULOUS! I played that game for hours! Or.... No, "Overrun!" was an Amiga title, it was VERY similar to Steel Panthers in many ways. But it didn't have campaign if I remember correctly. When I didn't play "Overrun!" I played Red Lightning =). That's one title I would like to see resurrected from the ashes =). And of course, I also player UMS2, or Universal Military Simulator 2. A game of MASSIVE scale! It took over 1 hour for AI to finish it's turn on my poor ol' Amiga 500. and it took even longer for me. That another game I would like to see resurrected. I think my 900Mhz PC is fast enough to handle it =), my Amiga sure wasn't and the PC's of that time weren't much better.

oderint dum metuant

(in reply to phaelos)
Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Red Storm Rising Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI