Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Being good, for a change – SqzMyLemon (J) vs fcharton (A)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Being good, for a change – SqzMyLemon (J) vs fcharton (A) Page: <<   < prev  3 4 5 6 [7]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Being good, for a change – SqzMyLemon (J) vs fchart... - 3/1/2016 11:34:06 PM   
fcharton

March 3rd 1942

New Guinean co-prosperity

The first attack on Port Moresby reduced the forts, and achieved 1:1 odds. We got a few disablements in exchange, but it looks like it will be short and merciless.

Ground combat at Port Moresby (98,130)
Japanese Deliberate attack
Attacking force 13648 troops, 101 guns, 74 vehicles, Assault Value = 454
Defending force 7268 troops, 84 guns, 51 vehicles, Assault Value = 167
Japanese engineers reduce fortifications to 2
Japanese adjusted assault: 124
Allied adjusted defense: 89
Japanese ground losses:
245 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 9 disabled
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 9 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 15 disabled
Vehicles lost 18 (1 destroyed, 17 disabled)
Allied ground losses:
808 casualties reported
Squads: 11 destroyed, 42 disabled
Non Combat: 8 destroyed, 6 disabled
Engineers: 2 destroyed, 5 disabled
Guns lost 11 (2 destroyed, 9 disabled)
Units destroyed 1

Also, there were landings in Lae. An infantry regiment (the 33rd) was committed there, which is a good thing, since the area was evacuated early in December. We’re in early 1942, wasting enemy resource is the best I can hope, as the allies.

The trap that wasn’t yet

I was expecting bombers, but in Australia my advance in the woods west of Goulburn went unchecked, Katoomba seems empty, and the enemy is retreating everywhere. I don’t understand the logic of it. Joseph can resist, and moving out of Canberra or Goulburn is not helping him. I am reinforcing this area, leaving enough in Melbourne to defend against a surprise. But I am wary: it makes no sense.

Life of the good boys

I am back at work, a new workplace in a nice district, with an almost cubic office, four meters wide, long… and high. And since I have a lot of free time these days, I have been reading…

I recently realized that despite playing this game for over five years now, I have never read a history of the Pacific war. I did read, decades ago, a good general history of WWII (Weinberg’s world at arms), and some specialized books (Overy’s origins of WWII), but I never read anything specifically focused on the Pacific. So, a few days ago, I bought Costello’s one volume history, in French, hoping that it will teach me some chronology. It should arrive tomorrow, and I will report on it, and maybe ask for other recommendations.

While waiting for Costello, I have been reading another book I ordered recently, a French edition of Paul Valery’s notebooks. Valery is one of the great minds of the beginning of the 20th century. I had seen bright quote upon bright quote of him, and finally bought his “cahiers”, a lifelong diary, written over 50 years, focused on one goal: understanding the mind, and how it relates to language. It is abstract, and brainy, and very French, I have to admit, but if you like ”words of wisdom”, he is one of the best (second perhaps to Nietzsche, La Rochefoucauld or Chamfort).

Another reading, more professional (and which I will comment in a future installment), featured something AE players might like: a map of the java railroads, dated 1937, translated into Japanese, with the word ‘secret’ on top of it (the red character on the top right, “mi” in Chinese), which is said to have helped prepare the invasion.

This is what railroad professional call a “circulation diagram”, the railway is vertical, time is horizontal, and diagonal lines are trains. Those oriented NW to SE are moving south, the others are moving north, the slope is the speed, and horizontal lines are stops in stations… It covers an area from Surabaya to Djodjakarta, in the game, this is the major railway from (56,104) to (52,103).

https://seeingcomplexity.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/rail1.png

For the richer readers, an expensive, but very nice, print can be bought here (and anyone interested in graphics should have a look anyway, Tufte is a fascinating person)
http://www.edwardtufte.com/tufte/fineart

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by fcharton -- 3/2/2016 7:13:41 AM >

(in reply to Rio Bravo)
Post #: 181
RE: Being good, for a change – SqzMyLemon (J) vs fchart... - 3/2/2016 1:03:52 AM   
BBfanboy

Sorry François, all I see is a bad attempt to weave a fishing net!

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to fcharton)
Post #: 182
RE: Being good, for a change – SqzMyLemon (J) vs fchart... - 3/2/2016 7:37:15 AM   
fcharton

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy
Sorry François, all I see is a bad attempt to weave a fishing net!

I realize a few explanations might be needed...

Basically, this is pretty much a timetable. The rail line is represented vertically. At the top is Soerabaja (SB), at the bottom Djodjakarta (Dk). The stations are at the right of the page, each horizontal line corresponds to one (you can seen Madioen Mdj somewhere near the top). And for each station, in the rightmost margin, you have a plan of the tracks, and a list of the facilities available.

The horizontal axis is the hours, from 2AM to 1AM (I suspect the red dot is sunrise, as we are close to the equator, it is pretty much constant). And so, you have grid, with horizontal lines as the stations, and vertical lines as the hours.

Each train is represented as a diagonal line, which plots where it is (horizontal) at what time (vertical), a timetable, really. The vertical distance between stations has been arranged so that it is proportional to the distance and slope, and so all those lines are straight lines, and therefore easier to read. The steeper the line, the faster the train. When reading top-down, lines slanting right are trains moving to Djodjakarta, lines slanting right move towards Surabaya. When two lines cross, the trains cross, and if you are on a single track, you have to make this happen in a station. If a train stops at a station (or anywhere else), its "line" briefly goes horizontal, if it changed speed, it would change slope.

Now, reading vertically, you can find where all your trains are at a particular moment. Reading horizontally, you get the schedule for one particular station. The legend at the bottom makes a distinction between regular, irregular, exceptional, trains, and the nature of the convoy (passengers, stock, etc)

It takes a while getting use to, but it is a fascinating graphics, because it allows for a very complete and detailed information, over just one chart. Pretty much the opposite of the almost empty graphs were are used to be presented at work, or in the media.

Francois

< Message edited by fcharton -- 3/2/2016 7:53:21 AM >

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 183
RE: Being good, for a change – SqzMyLemon (J) vs fchart... - 3/2/2016 8:22:46 AM   
CaptBeefheart

Love that chart. It tells you everything on a single page.

Cheers,
CC

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

(in reply to fcharton)
Post #: 184
RE: Being good, for a change – SqzMyLemon (J) vs fchart... - 3/2/2016 3:27:41 PM   
BBfanboy

I understood the first explanation of the chart well enough François - but I no longer have the powers of concentration to focus on that much info and pick out the details. It's like trying to read an entire printed page of continuous text with no paragraph breaks, small font and lines packed close together. It's too easy to "jump tracks" (pun intended).

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to fcharton)
Post #: 185
RE: Being good, for a change – SqzMyLemon (J) vs fchart... - 3/6/2016 9:26:08 AM   
fcharton

March 4th 1942

The conspicuously empty battlefield

Southern Australia looks emptier every day. Goulburn, Canberra and Katoomba all seem empty, and more units have been seen moving away from this area. Today, Japanese bombers focused on Cloncurry, an empty base up north. I am sending the Natal Rifles and some small Australia recce units to investigate, and trigger whichever trap might be waiting for me. KB is nowhere to be seen, which reinforces the impression that something ungodly is brewing.

Yet, I don’t understand his plan. With the 33rd division off theater (in Port Moresby), and the garrison requirement, his forces in Australia aren’t as formidable as they were last month, but they are by no means weak, and could easily defend this area. Abandoning South Australia, after having invaded it, and triggered the mobilization package seems a bit inconsistent, too. And finally, if this is a trap, I don’t see the point: I have a few units, not far from their bases, most of them armored, in fast moving terrain.

China under siege

Japanese strategy in China is pretty clear. Joseph is moving slowly and methodically, pocketing troops, reinforcing, trying either to build up a clear numerical superiority or to set up sieges. Changsha being too heavily reinforced to be attacked, he is trying to surround it, and has invested the forest hex north of it. I have 1200 AV there (close to the stacking limit), some of them behind level four forts, and I hold the road leading into and out of this hex, with decent reserves on both sides. I am very curious about this battle. In any other theater, Japanese prospects would be bleak. But this is China, where things have a tendency to go very wrong.

March 5th 1942

New Guinea burning

The 146th infantry regiment landed in Buna today. Two days ago, the 33rd landed in Lae. Both of these regiments were last seen, a month ago, in Tarakan. Meanwhile, another attack on Port Moresby further reduced the forts, for very little losses on the attackers.

There is very little I can do about that, but it is interesting to note that almost two divisions are now in New Guinea, busy conquering mostly empty bases.

And in Australia

Cloncurry was bombed again today. I suppose Joseph is going for the VP. So far, he has amassed about 200 points this way, nothing to call home about if you ask me.

The area around Goulburn seems empty. The infantry battalion that defended the base was seen today near Port Kembla. It really looks as if Joseph is evacuating the place, or swapping units around. I am attacking Canberra tomorrow, and opening the hexsides into Goulburn. We will know, soon I’m sure...

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 186
RE: Being good, for a change – SqzMyLemon (J) vs fchart... - 3/12/2016 9:58:11 AM   
fcharton

March 6th 1942

It is not a bug, it is a feature, and a great one at that

A few days ago, my B17 from Melbourne were ordered to bomb an infantry battalion that was defending Goulburn. The battalion was bombed, as ordered. The next day, the battalion had moved one hex away, and the bombers followed it, and bombed it as ordered the day before. Today, much to my surprise, my bombers found the battalion on the railroad near Armidale, a few hundred klicks away, and bombed it, as ordered. There is no denying that this kind of intel is great to have, but it does feel a bit… well… ahistorical.

But the retreat in Australia seems very real. Canberra was captured today, Goulburn is empty, and should fall tomorrow. Enemy units seem to be huddling in Sydney, or marching north towards Brisbane, and no attempt at bombing or counterattack seem underway.

I am moving slowly behind a very light armored screen. After Goulburn and Canberra, I will probably push towards Katoomba, in the hope of freeing the former defenders of Sydney (425 AV camping in the woods, as we speak).

Talking of which, another fun feature was seen in this stack. I had noticed previously that, sometimes, static units are allowed to retreat when their base is captured, because the “garrison” devices, that make them static, are destroyed in combat. In Borneo, I got a few “walking coast guns” this way. In Sydney, this happened to the RAAF Air HQ. Its garrison device was destroyed, allowing it to retreat, but it had been replaced since, and now, the HQ is static in the woods…

The fall of Buna

A deliberate attack was all it took to send the Lark Battalion out of Buna, and back on the Kokoda trail, towards the soon to be captured Port Moresby. PM is my failed roadblock. I did fine in Balikpapan, which took Japan a month to capture, and Ambon, which is still mine, and where the 65th brigade must be having a very bad time eating lizards and snakes, but New Guinea was reinforced in vain.

Where’s Kido?

KB is nowhere to be seen, it has not been detected by intel, and there is no suspicious DL increase in any area of the map. Something is brewing, obviously. I can see three uses for KB right now: a conquest of Java, landings in India, or a raid against the Aleutians. I’d love the latter, as it is far from the rest of the war, and it would use a lot of fuel.

Life of the good boys

The real life of the good boys is moving, maybe a little too fast. For a while, I had been considering changing jobs and teaching. A month ago, I had sent an application for replacements in maths in the catholic schools in my area, hoping to get a few hours of teaching here and there, to test the waters. As often with the administration, I thought things would move slowly. I was wrong.

Last Monday, I was told that my application has been accepted, and that I could teach maths, and economics, in secondary and high school. Then I had a call on Tuesday, enquiring whether I’d agree to work a little further from home. I then met someone from the Parisian diocese. And on Thursday, I had a call from a principal in a large school north of Paris, who needed a full time replacement teacher. I spent Friday there, and ended the week with five classes, about 165 students, secondary 4 and 5 (14 and 15 years old), for the rest of the week, beginning on the 21st.

It was unexpected, but it is a bit like having Australia invaded on the 1st of January 1942… Wish me luck, readers.

(in reply to fcharton)
Post #: 187
RE: Being good, for a change – SqzMyLemon (J) vs fchart... - 3/12/2016 12:37:38 PM   
ny59giants

quote:

Talking of which, another fun feature was seen in this stack. I had noticed previously that, sometimes, static units are allowed to retreat when their base is captured, because the “garrison” devices, that make them static, are destroyed in combat. In Borneo, I got a few “walking coast guns” this way. In Sydney, this happened to the RAAF Air HQ. Its garrison device was destroyed, allowing it to retreat, but it had been replaced since, and now, the HQ is static in the woods…

One of the first things I do when I start a game as Allies is to say "Y" to Stockpile option for Garrison devices. Maybe later I go back to "N", but I've had this happen one too many times before.

I work as mental health counselor with 'at risk youth.' These are the ones that have defiance and other behaviors that may lead to being taken out of home and placed in state custody (sent to foster home or residential treatment centers). Some tell me they are good in Math. So, I see how far and how quickly they can do multiplication in there heads. I start off with the 2's (2x2 =?, times 2, times 2, times 2) to see how far they can go. For a few, we try the 3, 4, 5 tables. Since kids use calculators too much now days, its nice to see them do this. Maybe break your class into small teams to see how they do or a few individuals go head-to-head to see who is best in the class. Just a suggestion.

(in reply to fcharton)
Post #: 188
RE: Being good, for a change – SqzMyLemon (J) vs fchart... - 3/12/2016 2:24:31 PM   
Lowpe

Good luck teaching!

My wife and I home schooled our kids (3) and taught them math pretty much from a 1950's program (modified somewhat to today called Saxon Math). They all learned their times tables to 15. This caused some interesting problems for them later in education....the eldest at USMA that uses the Thayer System and very small class sizes and chalkboards (or whiteboards). Standing at his chalkboard he could solve math problems in his head, sometimes with the aid of his tables memorized or by the use of logic to the consternation of his instructors.

He is a great wargaming opponent that never had the time to devote to WITP AE...though we had some great ASL games and campaigns. The goofy kid even memorized the IFT table there...very hard to beat.

Anyhow, I hope you get to teach pure math. Here in the states it is being reduced to creative reasoning rather than math -- our public school switched to a new math which didn't teach fractions, long division. Encouraged group problem solving and creative answers (not the right answers)....a move that caused us to home school.

Anyhow, this is now a meandering bit of directionless history and I meant to thank you and wish you well! Unlocking the mysteries of math in people/children...what joy! Best wishes!

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 189
RE: Being good, for a change – SqzMyLemon (J) vs fchart... - 3/14/2016 1:07:02 PM   
dave sindel

Good luck !

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 190
RE: Being good, for a change – SqzMyLemon (J) vs fchart... - 3/27/2016 11:46:37 PM   
spence

Good luck to you with the teaching Francois. It can have really great rewards.

(in reply to fcharton)
Post #: 191
RE: Being good, for a change – SqzMyLemon (J) vs fchart... - 3/28/2016 12:12:17 AM   
obvert

Congrats on the teaching. It is rewarding and tough. I teach that age, and the 14-15 year old boys do struggle with the focus, especially these days with all of the other distractions around. FIFA 2015, Call of Duty, facebook and snapchat.

My only advice is to give them something authentic and get to them somehow where they're coming from. Not easy, pays in the end if you can do it.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 192
RE: Being good, for a change – SqzMyLemon (J) vs fchart... - 3/28/2016 2:27:36 AM   
Rio Bravo

Francois-

The best to you with your new new Teaching Position!

Best Regards,

-Terry

"No one throws me my own guns and tells me to run. No one."

-Bret (James Coburn); The Magnificent Seven

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 193
RE: Being good, for a change – SqzMyLemon (J) vs fchart... - 3/28/2016 4:22:21 AM   
PaxMondo

quote:

ORIGINAL: fcharton

Life of the good boys

The real life of the good boys is moving, maybe a little too fast. For a while, I had been considering changing jobs and teaching. A month ago, I had sent an application for replacements in maths in the catholic schools in my area, hoping to get a few hours of teaching here and there, to test the waters. As often with the administration, I thought things would move slowly. I was wrong.

Last Monday, I was told that my application has been accepted, and that I could teach maths, and economics, in secondary and high school. Then I had a call on Tuesday, enquiring whether I’d agree to work a little further from home. I then met someone from the Parisian diocese. And on Thursday, I had a call from a principal in a large school north of Paris, who needed a full time replacement teacher. I spent Friday there, and ended the week with five classes, about 165 students, secondary 4 and 5 (14 and 15 years old), for the rest of the week, beginning on the 21st.

It was unexpected, but it is a bit like having Australia invaded on the 1st of January 1942… Wish me luck, readers.

Congrats!
Teaching is great. All the downsides for me a related to faculty politics, and when I have taught undergrad, the parents.
Otherwise, teaching itself is fun and rewarding.

Pax

(in reply to fcharton)
Post #: 194
RE: Being good, for a change – SqzMyLemon (J) vs fchart... - 5/19/2016 6:20:10 PM   
fcharton

Over the last two months, our war moved on at a slow pace (mostly my fault). We are now in April, past the end of the amphibious bonus, exchanging five turns per week again, and I have a little more time for this AAR.

April 5th 1942,

Being back, for a change

So, this is April 1942, and from an Allied standpoint, everything is nice, and calm, and unusual. The Japanese advance was very slow, with only a handful of bases captured in March (Ambon, Dobo, Horn Island, part of the Celebes, bits of New Guinea, Guam and northern Sumatra). Java is still Dutch, the Philippines have not been attacked (but the lack of supplies makes it an easier prey every day), and Burma has yet to see Japanese troops (so far, only a couple of Thai units dare cross the border into the jungle).

Eastern Australia, invaded in January, seems to have been abandoned at some point, maybe once Joseph realized Melbourne, new reinforced, was out of reach. We have been moving north, capturing Brisbane a few days ago and should clear the eastern coast by the end of the month. I am not sure the invasion was such a good idea: I will have the territory back a couple of months later, I get to keep the reinforcements and Joseph lost a couple of months.

The Pacific is very quiet. Apart from Guam, the lines have not moved since the beginning of the year. Japan holds Guadalcanal, Nauru and Tarawa.

China is the only active theater. The North has been quiet so far. In the south, Joseph could not manage to isolate Changsha, but took Kweilin, and seems to be marching on Kweiyang, taking a southern route to the Szechuan basin. My KMT units are not very well placed : I have too many in the north and centre, and not enough in the south. On the other hand, Joseph is moving very cautiously, which gives me time to evacuate and relocate.

Overall, the Japanese advance has been very prudent. I believe my aggressive stance early in the war convinced my opponent that I would fight for every inch of allied territory. He is now shadow boxing in a mostly empty SRA, and the end of the amphibious bonus makes everything even slower. This state of affairs suits me fine. I am not planning to oppose his invasions, or reinforce Java. I might even evacuate Burma at some point.

My goal is to keep him inside a “small” historical perimeter, by occupying neighboring bases, and to concentrate forces and supplies on its periphery, in order to be able to counterattack by the end of 1942.

Here is the general map, I will post theater by theater details in later installments.

Reconquista

The recapture of Australia is a slow affair. A task force built around the Natal rifles, the seventh armoured brigade and the seventh South African brigade has been moving along the coast, capturing empty bases on its way. It is in now Maryborough, which should fall tomorrow. At the current speed of advance, we should reach Cairns by the beginning of May.

I have a lot of troops in Australia: all the emergency reinforcements are there, plus most of the regular reinforcements arriving in Aden between January and March, plus the Americal division and another US division I bought and transferred here, plus a few indian troops I brought in at the beginning. There are quite a few US troops in New Caledonia, Fiji and Pago Pago too. I believe this rules out a Japanese move against the southern pacific, and suggests my next move should be towards the Solomons and New Guinea. I have begun moving small units into the New Hebrides, to build bases there, and try to get some decent intelligence about his dispositions in the Solomons.

I would like to wait until he commits to Java, Burma and the Philippines, and jump on the Solomons and the islands south of New Guinea. But I’m keeping my options open : if Joseph goes on delaying his move against Java, it might be worth reinforcing (I have to say I am tempted to do this, because, as a former JFB, I would love to see my opponent’s reaction when he finds US divisions in central Java…).

This leaves India relatively empty. I believe my opponent is too late on his schedule to embark on a big expedition against India. So I am mostly reinforcing Bengal and Assam.

Waiting for the barbarians

Burma has been the quietest theater so far. A couple of Thai units have crossed the border a few weeks ago, and have been camping in the jungle since, but there have been very little signs of movement on the road to Moulmein. I suspect Joseph is planning to land in Tavoy, and invade overland.

Right now, my troops are concentrated in Moulmein (600 AV behind level four forts), and Rangoon (400 AV, level four forts too). Joseph has been reconning the area, and certainly knows the amount of troops I have there. He will need several divisions to fight here, but he will bring them eventually.

Now, whereas I am very happy of having kept Burma for so long, I don’t think it is worth losing those troops, and so I am seriously considering evacuating my troops before the shooting starts. I could rail them to northern Burma, and have them walk to Assam, while Joseph lands his big units, 100% prepped now that the amphibious bonus is gone. He would get Burma for free, but at a very late time, and the divisions committed there would be a long way from the Pacific. Also, if he decides to go for India, I would have a couple more divisions there.

Now, on the other hand, the monsoon will be there in 40 days, which means the march overland will be slow and ugly (but so would any pursuit be…)

I am undecided, but very tempted to prepare for this evacuation.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by fcharton -- 5/19/2016 6:22:17 PM >

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 195
RE: Being good, for a change – SqzMyLemon (J) vs fchart... - 5/19/2016 6:47:16 PM   
BBfanboy

If he has evacuated eastern Oz bases, you could use paratroops to make the hop between towns and capture them, then rail in all the support troops rather than marching slowly up that long coastline. (assuming you can get paras and transport aircraft to Australia).

(in reply to fcharton)
Post #: 196
RE: Being good, for a change – SqzMyLemon (J) vs fchart... - 5/19/2016 7:18:46 PM   
Bullwinkle58

If he lets you keep Java I don't see how this goes past 1943. You have Soerbaja's oil, you threaten Balikpapan directly, and from the Batavia sector you can pound on PBang. He'll starve for HI points.

< Message edited by Bullwinkle58 -- 5/19/2016 7:20:32 PM >

The Moose

(in reply to fcharton)
Post #: 197
RE: Being good, for a change – SqzMyLemon (J) vs fchart... - 5/21/2016 7:07:17 AM   
fcharton

April 6th 1942

Bombers as antitank units

I still have a couple squadrons 4E bombers based in Chungking, and have been putting them to good use damaging Japanese tank regiments. Here is a typical result :

Morning Air attack on 10th Tank Regiment, at 80,57 , near Kanhsien
Weather in hex: Severe storms
Raid spotted at 18 NM, estimated altitude 16,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 5 minutes
Allied aircraft
Hurricane IIa Trop x 13
B-17D Fortress x 6
B-17E Fortress x 8
LB-30 Liberator x 3
Allied aircraft losses
B-17E Fortress: 1 damaged
LB-30 Liberator: 1 damaged
Japanese ground losses:
Vehicles lost 22 (1 destroyed, 21 disabled)

Given the lack of AT outfits in China, and the relatively small number of armored units the IJA has, this is appreciable.

Burmese whispers

Mergui was captured today, by paratroops. The base was empty, but this reinforces my impression that Joseph intends to land troops there, and then march on Moulmein and Rangoon. I am all for this strategy, which means I get to hold Burma for another month, and that the upcoming monsoon will slow the Japanese advance.

Chinese complications

I haven’t been paying enough attention to China recently, and this might prove very costly. So far, I have concentrated troops in the North (around Yenan, on the road to Sian, around Lanchow), that did a very good job preventing any Japanese advance. I still hold Sian, Loyang, Yenan and Tsiaotso. In central China, operations against Changsha were cut short. I have 3000 AV in the city, behind level six forts, and the road to Changteh is heavily garrisoned.

But the southern end of my front is woefully empty. I have troops on a line from Changteh to Chihkiang, but the area between Tuyun and Kweiyang, and the hexes protecting the Sichuan basin are not garrisoned.

Now Joseph is marching on Tuyun, and might very well break through. Of course, this will be of limited importance, since he cannot move too far west without risking being cut off, but I am terribly weak in this area.

Troops are now moving south, I am slowly evacuating the north, where Japan seems to have given up, and marching the troops through Kienko into Chengtu and Kunming. But I am beginning to fear the lack of attention might cost me China.

Reinforcing the front

So far, most of the US units I could afford were sent to Australia and the South Pacific (Noumea, Pago Pago, and Suva). I believe I now have enough to prevent any further advance in this area (and perhaps reinforce northern Oz as well).

My next targets for reinforcements are the Aleutians. So far, Kodiak and Dutch Harbor have been garrisoned (each with a reinforced infantry regiment), but Adak is almost empty. And today, SigInt showed for the third time the guards mixed brigade planning for it. I am considering sending the 32nd infantry division, which arrives in a few days, and a few coast units (CD and AA). If Joseph tries to land after May, he is in for a nasty surprise.

I am also sending bomber and fighter squadrons to India (via Capetown), but I believe India is less at a risk right now, and Commonwealth units can fend for themselves.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by fcharton -- 5/21/2016 7:09:21 AM >

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 198
RE: Being good, for a change – SqzMyLemon (J) vs fchart... - 5/21/2016 3:50:23 PM   
Kofiman

Hmm, I wonder if you can pull an Operation Cadillac here. Land on a coastal base on the home islands, with the intention of destroying a number of aircraft factories.

(in reply to fcharton)
Post #: 199
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 5 6 [7]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Being good, for a change – SqzMyLemon (J) vs fcharton (A) Page: <<   < prev  3 4 5 6 [7]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI