Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Please Help a Newbie

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Please Help a Newbie Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Please Help a Newbie - 4/21/2001 4:57:00 AM   
20mm

Hello, I just got this game a few days ago on a demo cd. I played the original SP when I was a kid and I like the improvements you guys have made to it :) I came here because I have a problem I'm hoping someone can help with. The problem is that while playing the game will slow to a crawl at seemingly random times. Scrolling, moving units, firing, all game functions slow dramatically. I've been dealing with it by saving, exiting, and reloading which corrects the slowdown for an for awhile. I searching the forum and found many mentions of game slowdowns, but none like this on again off again type of slowdown. And most I've the answers I've read involve adjusting the preferences which I have set to XXX on everything speed related. Or computer speed which cant be whats causing my problem since I have a PIII 1Ghz, 256mb RAM, GeForce2 Ultra, etc. So I hope someone will be able to help me, this is my first time posting here :) -20mm PS-does anyone know if its possible to have the smoke stay off even when enemy infantry makes smoke to retreat? I'm tired of turning it off a hundred times a round :)

Post #: 1
- 4/21/2001 5:02:00 AM   
Charles2222

quote:

PS-does anyone know if its possible to have the smoke stay off even when enemy infantry makes smoke to retreat? I'm tired of turning it off a hundred times a round
Wow! As much as that can irritate me, and as long as I've been on this forum, I can't recall anyone ever bringing up that question. I'd like to know myself, though I doubt there's a way at present.

(in reply to 20mm)
Post #: 2
- 4/21/2001 5:34:00 AM   
Redleg

This might help a little. The speed problem could be related to the speed of your computer. You don't need a super machine to run the game - I was using a 400 Celeron until recently and it worked ok. Change those XXX settings - might require a bit of experimentation. I have mine set at 100 and 50 and I can read most messages. Smoke cannot be "turned off". Good luck. Welcome aboard. Upgrade!

(in reply to 20mm)
Post #: 3
- 4/21/2001 5:37:00 AM   
Wild Bill

Your machine is fine,20mm, but yes, you do need to update your game. The speed has to be in relation to the settings in the pref menu. Tell you what, set them all to xxx and see if the game moves faster for you and let us know. Wild Bill

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to 20mm)
Post #: 4
- 4/21/2001 5:41:00 AM   
20mm

Wow, I'm amazed at the quick replies. I wasn't expecting to hear anything until tommorrow. Well anyway, Wild Bill, I've had my settings to all XXX's since I got the game and the problem is still occuring, I hope someone knows some other way to fix this :(

(in reply to 20mm)
Post #: 5
- 4/21/2001 6:31:00 AM   
Charles2222

20mm: I suggest you make your original post on the Tech Support By Gamers for Gamers forum as well.

(in reply to 20mm)
Post #: 6
- 4/21/2001 7:56:00 AM   
Major Ed

If its not happening all the time you may want to make sure all other processes are stopped (Windows sometimes will get bogged down during multi-tasking). All you need running is Explorer ans systray. Also check you virtual memory settings. I have mine at 300 mb on a K6-2 475, with 128 mg RAM and it seems to run fine.

(in reply to 20mm)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Please Help a Newbie Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI