Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G Page: <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 2/26/2016 3:24:23 PM   
HITMAN202

MT, I was pointing out the incredible change psychologically the German player has to make facing blizzard '41. You stood you're ground and fought (against who ???) and I, being a rabbit, ran; ran not all the way to Poland but fast and far. Remember, (as I defend my actions) I faced THEPROS who had built up a huge army (which I allowed) and escaped the frost with a stable front (Sillyflower would probably agree as much). Clearly I'm not critiquing your WITE skills, for you are one of the best. In this blizzard scenario I was Hitwimp, but also Hitwise.

WITE is a good addiction with no cure.

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 301
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 2/26/2016 3:39:56 PM   
timmyab

quote:

ORIGINAL: Michael T
Pity the game is in such a state of flux, I really want to play again. But it's a quagmire of exploits and other crazies ATM.

It's still great fun to play though Mike. you should have a go. Go on.
If you haven't played for a while you may be surprised at the strength the Axis have.

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 302
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 2/26/2016 9:09:07 PM   
sillyflower

quote:

ORIGINAL: HITMAN202

MT, I was pointing out the incredible change psychologically the German player has to make facing blizzard '41. You stood you're ground and fought (against who ???) and I, being a rabbit, ran; ran not all the way to Poland but fast and far. Remember, (as I defend my actions) I faced THEPROS who had built up a huge army (which I allowed) and escaped the frost with a stable front (Sillyflower would probably agree as much). In this blizzard scenario I was Hitwimp, but also Hitwise.

I do have to agree. Shame that RL got in the way of the game prevented Belphegor and me from taking Berlin in late '44. especially as we were also trash-talk winners on your AAR which was even more fun than the game

web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

Reply: They already know you're a gamer. What other shame can possibly compare?

(in reply to HITMAN202)
Post #: 303
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 2/26/2016 11:09:01 PM   
Michael T

@ Hitman, no worries it's all in jest

Sure that blizzard ( v Kamil) was a nightmare but an experience I would not swap. A great exercise in honing mental toughness in wargame world. And after all the spruiking I did about not running I really had no choice. The Poland remark was a jibe at Pelton, as he can't reply ATM

If we can get a stable patch that is close to balanced I am back in, but ATM it's all over the place. The air is nuts. I am talking 08. I would rather stick with 07, it was close.

(in reply to sillyflower)
Post #: 304
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 2/27/2016 12:38:54 AM   
M60A3TTS

I don't know what that HQ displacement bug is all about. In my games with Dave, I don't recall ever seeing it.

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 305
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 3/1/2016 11:11:31 AM   
sillyflower

This game and AAR going into hibernation for a short while. I've strained my back so sitting up at my desk is limited to a few minutes a day. Also my vestibulitis has returned. The meds I had in UK were brilliant 1st time round worked brilliantly but destroyed all powers of concentration and cognitive reasoning for the 2 weeks I had to take them. French meds are different so don't know what they will do to me yet.

As a man, I know that both these conditions are probably fatal, but with luck I should survive ....................

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 3/1/2016 11:39:39 AM >

web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

(in reply to M60A3TTS)
Post #: 306
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 3/1/2016 9:11:52 PM   
Michael T

I hope your back gets better soon, as for the other condition...

Post #: 307
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 3/1/2016 10:03:25 PM   
loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: sillyflower

This game and AAR going into hibernation for a short while. I've strained my back so sitting up at my desk is limited to a few minutes a day. Also my vestibulitis has returned. The meds I had in UK were brilliant 1st time round worked brilliantly but destroyed all powers of concentration and cognitive reasoning for the 2 weeks I had to take them. French meds are different so don't know what they will do to me yet.

hope you get better soon

Post #: 308
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 3/1/2016 11:11:54 PM   
charlie0311

Not too soon, :), no really hope you can fully recover.

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 309
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 3/2/2016 11:16:24 PM   
Peltonx

Heal up asap.

Beta Tester WitW & WitE

(in reply to charlie0311)
Post #: 310
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 3/7/2016 9:19:25 PM   
sillyflower

Thank you for your good wishes, which no doubt made the difference between life and death. Brian is still doing his 1st blizzard turn - v. busy RL at the moment.

Anyway, getting better now and the French meds have left my cognitive functioning intact. I think so anyway so here's T23 north

I upgraded to .08 before starting my turn. Brian did not until midway through his next turn. However, as the Russian logistics happen on my computer, I fear that he will get his dead units back at little or no cost. The combat featured is the fall of the last hex of L.grad. Killed the 2 div pocket (inc a cav xx ) about 10 hexes up from the bottom of the picture, but not much other activity beyond a small bit of line straightening.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 3/7/2016 9:25:44 PM >

web exchange

(in reply to Peltonx)
Post #: 311
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 3/7/2016 9:29:05 PM   
sillyflower

Moscow area

Again a bit of pocket clearing + line straightening but also a bit of whacking where that would result in routs due to retreating through ZOCs or over-stacking. I also jump on cav xx wherever I can to weaken them before they turn into cav xxx. I suspect Brian has a bad arms crunch (readers of his AAR may know) and cav squads cost x5 the cost of inf squads: 41 to 8 IIRC.

Otherwise just sorting out some defences for the big bad blizzard (actually the mild version). The 2 mtn divs do garrison duty in Rhzev and Kaluga, getting ready for to re-enter front line service.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 4/12/2017 4:48:29 PM >

web exchange

Post #: 312
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 3/7/2016 9:40:48 PM   
sillyflower

South

Voroshilov and the western bank of the Donets cleared of Stalinists. More good cav xx bashing.He has quite a lot in the front line. When playing Russian I try to pull then all out of the front line by now to let them rest and refit before the blizzard starts.

That's all for tonight folks - back still a bit sore.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 3/7/2016 9:46:20 PM >

web exchange

Post #: 313
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 3/8/2016 12:06:53 AM   
HITMAN202

60 year-old bodies heal slowly. Backs doubly so. In regards to reasoning ability, a slight recovery would be adequate for you. Not most.. In regards to French medications, your physician son could be pressured in his filial obligations and send appropriate contraband.

WITE is a good addiction with no cure.

Post #: 314
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 3/8/2016 2:55:14 AM   
Peltonx

quote:

Thank you for your good wishes, which no doubt made the difference between life and death..

NP any time you need your life saved just ask

< Message edited by Pelton -- 3/8/2016 2:56:18 AM >

Beta Tester WitW & WitE

Post #: 315
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 3/8/2016 11:15:26 AM   
sillyflower

T23 middle

Having cleared the Donets basin, I head north to deal with his mud advance.A pocket of 7 units is formed, but only weakly held because I attacked a couple of stacks in the wrong order.

This is my weak spot for the winter, but at least it is almost all in the middle zone (light green), not the north zone which is the light blueish colour.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 3/8/2016 11:22:03 AM >

web exchange

(in reply to Peltonx)
Post #: 316
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 3/8/2016 11:32:44 AM   
sillyflower

Thoughts on T23

Losses 6.1K to 105K, air 60 v 202.

Units destroyed: 12 inf xx, 2 cav xx , 1 arm x, 1 inf x and 3 arty regts. Not the AP crunch it would have been - at least I assume not as the Russian logistic phase seems to happen at the end of my turn before turn goes back to the server . Brian did not update until part way through his turn.

Russian OOB just under 4.5M so no sign of the mystery 500K men that someone thought Brian would have, and there are 4 inf xx, 1 gd cav xx and 3 inf x in the pocket in the middle of the map.

1 more turn to disrupt him before the blizzard hits, but it's clear that Brian's offensive capabilities will be well below average with a small army that has been smacked around a bit.

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 3/8/2016 12:37:42 PM >

web exchange

Post #: 317
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 3/9/2016 10:06:35 PM   
Peltonx

What are total loses to date?

Also like an up-date on OOB turn 25 if possible thanks

Beta Tester WitW & WitE

Post #: 318
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 3/9/2016 10:40:06 PM   
sillyflower

Will post all that data in the next day or 2.

They pale into insignificance compared to getting tickets today to see Bruce's The River tour in Paris on 13 July . 1 of my (as yet) unfulfilled ambitions

web exchange

(in reply to Peltonx)
Post #: 319
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 3/10/2016 12:17:40 AM   
Peltonx

quote:

Will post all that data in the next day or 2.

They pale into insignificance compared to getting tickets today to see Bruce's The River tour in Paris on 13 July . 1 of my (as yet) unfulfilled ambitions

quote:

Bruce's The River tour in Paris on 13 July

Grats

Beta Tester WitW & WitE

Post #: 320
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 3/10/2016 10:05:17 AM   
sillyflower

T24 -the last turn of reasonable weather

As you can see, Brian's attacks had v. little success. I didn't do much - just line straightening and going for routs where possible as part of plan 'b#@@*& up (sorry: I mean 'pre-empt') Brian's blizzard O' aka Operation BUBBO

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 3/10/2016 10:30:04 AM >

web exchange

(in reply to Peltonx)
Post #: 321
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 3/10/2016 10:09:59 AM   
sillyflower

moscow. Operation BUBBO continues

1 highlight: his partisans still have a lot to learn about which rail lines they need to focus on.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 3/10/2016 4:47:20 PM >

web exchange

Post #: 322
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 3/10/2016 10:21:16 AM   
sillyflower

Duplicate

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 3/10/2016 10:31:38 AM >

web exchange

Post #: 323
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 3/10/2016 10:22:21 AM   
sillyflower

middle

same old

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 3/10/2016 10:23:19 AM >

web exchange

Post #: 324
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 3/10/2016 10:24:31 AM   
sillyflower

south at last...........

The most fun part of BUBBO including clearing out the Donets bend again.

He actually broke the pocket in 2 places last turn, so I resealed properly though I had to let 2 inf xx rout out to achieve this. Not taking any chances because of blizzard next turn, but I could not allow a gd cav xx to escape my cooking pots.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 3/10/2016 10:38:10 AM >

web exchange

Post #: 325
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 3/10/2016 10:39:15 AM   
sillyflower

Thoughts on T24

Losses 8.6K to only 22K but 54 Russian units routed and 77 cav squads were killed - the equivalent of a whole div. Air 59 to 198.

Operation BUBBO was declared to be a great success. There were a lot of cav xx in the front lines and they were attacked wherever possible, and the routs will affect his attack capabilities in the most vulnerable area, for some time to come. 1 problem he will have is that his inf xx TOEs increase greatly with the 41c TOE which is introduced on the 1st blizzard turn. Unless Russian inf xx start the blizzard near 100% TOE, conversion to 41c means that their % TOE goes down to a level where a turn or 2 or combat + attrition can make them become unready ie useless for offensive purposes.

I did find a lot of cav xx everywhere, but no sign of any concentration or stacks refitting and getting ready to become xxx on T25. I can't believe he isn't doing this to some extent, but I like what I see so far.

I have largely ignored his push out of the Crimea so far, using Romanians a a screening force. His forces there are weak, and not easy to supply and reinforce, even if he can afford to. They are no threat to my rail lines and the further he comes out, the easier it will be for the rebuilt panzer forces to use them as target practice in early '42, in the same way that the Mongol Khans used to organise huge hunts to train their forces for mobile warfare. I shall continue to screen them but that's about it.

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 3/10/2016 4:51:49 PM >

web exchange

Post #: 326
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 3/10/2016 10:58:18 AM   
sillyflower

OOb end T24

I will do an analysis of the game so far inc. losses sometime soon so watch this space, or not as you prefer

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 3/10/2016 11:19:26 AM >

web exchange

Post #: 327
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 3/10/2016 11:17:02 AM   
loki100

quote:

1 highlight: his partisans still have a lot to learn about which rail lines the need to focus on.

they seem to have a fixation with that particular rail spur. Its the same in WiTW, the French partisans just love to blow up the rail link on the Swiss/French border.

A while back I read a very good doctoral thesis on the partisan war and it had some really interesting insights. Not just that the Soviet propaganda of an entire nation united against the invader was false but the amount of deal making between local partisan groups and local occupation forces.

In places, they would more or less agree that they would make an attack at 'Z', or have to do something (or their respective superiors would be suspicious). Equally they would warn each other if fresh formations (which would be more likely to fight) were being sent into the region.

Not to say the reality wasn't grim/awful/almost beyond understanding, but it was quite nuanced. So I'd put the fixation with blowing up a bridge at the far end of small branch line into that category

Post #: 328
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 3/10/2016 11:45:10 AM   
SigUp

quote:

ORIGINAL: loki100

Not just that the Soviet propaganda of an entire nation united against the invader was false but the amount of deal making between local partisan groups and local occupation forces.

So they did that in the East too? Didn't know that. Sounds awfully similar to some stories about the communist partisans in China and the Japanese occupation forces. There they sometimes made deals like ammunition-for-food in-between the hostilities.

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 329
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 3/10/2016 5:13:56 PM   
sillyflower

quote:

ORIGINAL: loki100

In places, they would more or less agree that they would make an attack at 'Z', or have to do something (or their respective superiors would be suspicious). Equally they would warn each other if fresh formations (which would be more likely to fight) were being sent into the region.

So I'd put the fixation with blowing up a bridge at the far end of small branch line into that category

I'm very sorry Loki, but this is an unacceptable post.

To belittle a major intelligence success of my security troops in this way is both misleading and defamatory. I suggest, nay insist, that you come to Berlin as my guest for appropriate re-education. The partisans were fooled into this attack by a brave agent who led them into an ambush at a real risk to himself. Fortunately, our man escaped in the confusion.

web exchange

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 330
Page:   <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G Page: <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI