Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G Page: <<   < prev  16 17 [18] 19 20   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 5/31/2016 9:39:31 PM   
sillyflower

The other half of the big picture someone asked for

Attachment (1)

web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

Reply: They already know you're a gamer. What other shame can possibly compare?

(in reply to sillyflower)
Post #: 511
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 5/31/2016 9:41:10 PM   
sillyflower

Tidying up the battlefield and in particular securing the river line N of Moscow.

And, much more fun, securing 2 over-bold cav xx at the bottom of the shot. Shame the shell unit comes back for little cost. Brian really should just lie back and accept his fate.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 5/31/2016 9:47:29 PM >

web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

Post #: 512
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 5/31/2016 9:46:40 PM   
sillyflower

south

Crimea almost all polished off despite reluctance of surrounded enemy units to surrender instead of retreating. S'pool and Kerch will have to wait until Spring for their liberation from the Soviet oppressor.

In the Kuban, despite our brave troops being heavily outnumbered,the southern objective of Tikhoretsk is taken but still 40 miles from Salsk, and next turn is the last turn of snow.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 5/31/2016 10:08:14 PM >

web exchange

Post #: 513
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 5/31/2016 10:03:42 PM   
sillyflower

Thoughts on T40

Losses 6.9K to 57K air 38 (17 Ju52s) to 107. 4inf xx, 1 cav xx, 1 mtn xx, 5 tank x and 2 inf x destroyed along with 2 regts of artillery.

I will not meet my objective of taking Salsk next turn without sending all the armour back there. This doesn't look tempting on either the strategic or operational level. I'm tempted to go all out to cross the R. Kuban at Kropotkin. Just taking K will cut off all rail inks to Krasnodar and the west, and crossing the river will give a superb jumping off point for when the weather clears. Depends on how hard Brian tries to stop me.

Elsewhere we are largely trading not very strong blows in the manner of WW1.

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 5/31/2016 10:20:14 PM >

web exchange

Post #: 514
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 6/2/2016 11:17:34 AM   
sillyflower

T41 - I lunge south

And clear out most of the rest of the Crimea as well.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 6/2/2016 11:22:33 AM >

web exchange

Post #: 515
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 6/2/2016 11:22:14 AM   
sillyflower

end of snow OOB

Russians still just under 1.5M more men than Germans, and outnumbered by Axis.Reckon Brian still has arms and possibly also manpower crunch as filling units with basic inf doesn't cost many arms points. By now, Russian arty numbers are still low compared to army size. I would expect 60K or so for an army of that size.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 6/2/2016 11:33:03 AM >

web exchange

Post #: 516
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 6/2/2016 11:45:57 AM   
sillyflower

Thoughts on T41

Very happy with the snow O. Railhead can be seen by position of the 18th Army div on their train. I have 2 FBDs in the Kuban at the moment, and the other 2 will join them after Crimea. Mud will give a chance to rail all I can into the Kuban. I don't see any point in leaving troops to try to capture S'pool come clear weather - the Romanians can make themselves useful by investing it.

Not much Brian can do without much of an army, though Stef's successful defence of the Caucasus will no doubt encourage him a bit. However, I will start a lot further forward than Bobo did and that is a huge advantage. Stef also had a much larger army than Brian.

web exchange

Post #: 517
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 6/4/2016 7:58:21 AM   
sillyflower

T42 was a little more exciting than I would have liked

Brian had cut off my spearhead with a lucky attack, but I was able to return the favour. I did have enough MPs for a 2nd attempt but it wasn't needed. The pocket would have survived the mud turns, especially as it did have an airfield in it, but it would have slowed me down. His other successful attack had enabled him to recapture 2 rail hexes which will impede my rail conversion.

I will endeavour to rescue the trapped inf div, and to give myself more wriggle room in the mud if his bear-hug units remain as weak as they look.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 6/4/2016 8:15:45 AM >

web exchange

Post #: 518
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 6/4/2016 8:15:06 AM   
sillyflower

for some reason I took a shot of the OOB, so here it is

Attachment (1)

web exchange

Post #: 519
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 6/4/2016 8:16:04 AM   
sillyflower

and the losses screen

Attachment (1)

web exchange

Post #: 520
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 6/5/2016 9:39:08 AM   
sillyflower

Continuing to catch up

T43 just rescued the isolated inf xx and widened the base of the 'finger. No screenshots.

web exchange

Post #: 521
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 6/5/2016 9:41:51 AM   
sillyflower

T44

The mud O continues to widen the base of the 'finger' as units from 1 Pz Army and 18th Army continue to arrive as quickly as the rail network allows. Soviet troops seem to prefer routing to holding their ground when attacked as I try to clear the rail lines so that they can be converted.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 6/5/2016 10:08:13 AM >

web exchange

Post #: 522
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 6/5/2016 11:20:39 AM   
STEF78

quote:

ORIGINAL: sillyflower

Thoughts on T41

Very happy with the snow O. Railhead can be seen by position of the 18th Army div on their train. I have 2 FBDs in the Kuban at the moment, and the other 2 will join them after Crimea. Mud will give a chance to rail all I can into the Kuban. I don't see any point in leaving troops to try to capture S'pool come clear weather - the Romanians can make themselves useful by investing it.

Not much Brian can do without much of an army, though Stef's successful defence of the Caucasus will no doubt encourage him a bit. However, I will start a lot further forward than Bobo did and that is a huge advantage. Stef also had a much larger army than Brian.

You did a very good job in Crimea (or maybe Brian was too ambitious there).

Mud will slow your advance in the South but Brian will have to take difficult décisions. Caucasus isn't lost yet but you are in much better position than Bobo was.

Great AAR! Impatiently waiting for the "killing" summer 1942 campaign.

Post #: 523
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 6/5/2016 1:03:09 PM   
sillyflower

Thanks Stef.

Mud is not too much of a problem at the moment. I had probably got as far as I could with the troops I had in the Kuban, as Brian's pocket showed. I'm pouring in new combat power far faster than he seems to be, including elite inf divs from other armies, and I'm either in or close to the parts that are in the European weather zone which will be clear of mud in May and June.

That said, like you, I was waiting impatiently for the clear weather and Brian is now having to do his first clear turn. No spoilers, but I am sure that I had more fun with T47 than he is right now .

Bobo did well in the Kuban in your game, but I think he made 2 big mistakes

1 He did the Hitler thing in going for a 2nd objective (Stalingrad) before the first (Baku) was secured, so he got neither.

2. What he did not do, but I shall not disclose that until I do it.

I will have an easier time than him because I'm ahead of his timetable but more importantly my Wehrmacht is stronger than his was, and Brian's a lot weaker than yours.

web exchange

(in reply to STEF78)
Post #: 524
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 6/5/2016 1:48:40 PM   
swkuh

Great AAR, KUDOS both gamers.

Appreciate your comment in re one vs. multiple objectives. Applies to many situations, even micro-plays.

Post #: 525
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 6/5/2016 5:03:29 PM   
821Bobo

quote:

Bobo did well in the Kuban in your game, but I think he made 2 big mistakes

1 He did the Hitler thing in going for a 2nd objective (Stalingrad) before the first (Baku) was secured, so he got neither.

1. With the +1 thing I had harder 41 and Blizzard and that kept me in worse position in 42.
2. The mistake I made was mismanaging fuel supplies in the drive toward Caucasus. Sending one more Pz Army would have been for no help because they would get stuck at Machackala with no fuel.

(in reply to swkuh)
Post #: 526
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 6/7/2016 4:29:09 PM   
sillyflower

T45

Rinse and repeat of T44.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 6/7/2016 4:33:49 PM >

web exchange

(in reply to 821Bobo)
Post #: 527
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 6/7/2016 10:54:22 PM   
Michael T

For someone who don't like playing the G's you ain't doin too bad

Post #: 528
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 6/8/2016 7:43:19 AM   
sillyflower

Admittedly, given the current position, being G is more fun than being R, but this was always planned to be my last G game, which is why I have been happy to give away all my secrets...........

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 6/8/2016 7:47:46 AM >

web exchange

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 529
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 6/8/2016 3:36:05 PM   
rainman2015

Newbie AAR related question. As i read more and more AARs, i wonder, how do yall write AARs while being in the middle of an actual game, without giving your plans and strategy away to your opponent? Do you simply wait one turn? Even doing that, you will still be saying things in an AAR that will give things away it seems.

Looking forward to seeing how the summer offensive goes! :)

Randy
:)

Post #: 530
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 6/8/2016 5:29:54 PM   
sillyflower

Several answers

1 AARs usually run a few turns behind the actual game. I normally post 2 turns behind in this AAR.

2 Most ban their opponent from viewing. OK, you can't stop them but it might be very embarrassing if someone saw that I was looking at Brian's AAR, and posted that on Brian's AAR. That has happened - with 2 different players I hasten to add.

3 Many AARs are little more than screenshots with comment at a tactical level, as opposed to giving away plans.

4 I'm not sure, for example, how much Brian could learn from reading my AAR. He knows as well as anyone where I'm going on my summer trip.

web exchange

(in reply to rainman2015)
Post #: 531
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 6/8/2016 6:10:17 PM   
chaos45

yep typically you keep the screen shots several turns behind where you. Also depends on the situation in the game how far behind. Basically in the one I did if I was building a rear defense line or preparing a major offensive would hold screens showing any prep work for them until either the new defense line was reached of my offensive in full swing. Just save them in a file with a turn number on them to go back and post on the forums when you get to a point that OPSEC isnt needed anymore lol

Post #: 532
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 6/9/2016 3:26:35 PM   
rainman2015

OK,

So, several turns delay and not giving away strategic plans, and not having the opponent read them, at least for awhile

However, if the opponent did read them, even if they are several turns delayed, you would still be able to see (as the Soviets in 41 for example) German armies or PzCorps on the move, for example, where 2nd army was headed in the early months of the war, or a shifting PzCorps that was hiding in its shift, but in the screenshot can't hide anymore. If the opponent was not watching, then no problem, if he was, then not a huge deal, but gives away more than wanted.

And part of the fun of an AAR would be to divulge your overall strategy plan and to see if you could follow it, but that would not work in case your opponent read the AAR.

I am still a fair newbie, have played the 41 campaign quite a bit but never into 42 yet, and playing against a Soviet (good friend) that we have played a bunch of scenarios together, but this is his first campaign against a human. Thought about doing an AAR (have the screenshots) but figure no one would be interested in seeing what two newbies like us are doing...

Randy

< Message edited by rainman2015 -- 6/9/2016 3:30:21 PM >

(in reply to chaos45)
Post #: 533
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 6/9/2016 3:55:29 PM   
Northern Star

You will have at least one reader
I await your screenshots, it will be interesting...

War in the East alpha tester

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPV9JWWtOQ0

Post #: 534
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 6/9/2016 4:21:06 PM   
EwaldvonKleist

I am a complete noob myself and i think an a bit experienced Axis player against a soviet noob is most historical :-)
You have at least two readers

(in reply to Northern Star)
Post #: 535
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 6/10/2016 3:26:49 PM   
rainman2015

Will likely do my first AAR then. I am getting pretty good at playing the game, so not a total newbie by any means, just haven't seen what to do in certain situations yet.

I choose to give my opponent no Lvov pocket (consider it gamey) and full blizzard to give him some advantages (which i have only played as the Germans once in the Typhoon scenario, should be interesting to see how full blizzard plays in a campaign, expecting it to be much nastier, have been reading a lot of forum threads of how to handle it). So, the blizzard will be interesting to see how it goes.

My one concern about doing an AAR is that the game could spin out of control for him as he is still learning what to do and not to do defending as the Soviets (he is learning fast that not having units with ZOCs in the rear leads to easy encirclements). We are committed to playing it thru unless a total disaster on one side, so will see.

Will stop hijacking this AAR now, thanks...

Randy

< Message edited by rainman2015 -- 6/10/2016 3:30:09 PM >

(in reply to EwaldvonKleist)
Post #: 536
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 6/11/2016 9:06:12 PM   
sillyflower

That wasn't hijacking rainman, or if it was it was constructive and worthwhile.I'm glad we've helped you to turn war correspondent

web exchange

Post #: 537
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 6/11/2016 9:08:47 PM   
sillyflower

T46 - last of the universal mud so lots of screenshots

No significant movement for ages, bu at least Finn-fans can see their whole army for the first time

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 6/11/2016 9:14:48 PM >

web exchange

Post #: 538
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 6/11/2016 9:11:06 PM   
sillyflower

centre

Again pretty static, but red army is now adjacent to Moscow - not that that will do them any good.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 6/11/2016 9:17:25 PM >

web exchange

Post #: 539
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 6/11/2016 9:17:17 PM   
sillyflower

south

Quite aggressive positioning attacks in the last turn as the units I was facing were very weak. As reinforcements continue to arrive, the tip of the spear has become the blade of the battleaxe. Note the SS cav xx sneaking westwards to try to be in a position to outflank Brian's west flank.as I want to try to take Krasnodar and Novorossiysk and to meet up with the elements of 18th Army massed to cross over from the Crimea. The FBD in the Crimea is getting ready to move to the Caucasus as the rail lines in the Crimea are converted to to the front lines at Kerch and S'pool.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 6/11/2016 9:37:43 PM >

web exchange

Post #: 540
Page:   <<   < prev  16 17 [18] 19 20   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G Page: <<   < prev  16 17 [18] 19 20   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI