Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G Page: <<   < prev  18 19 [20] 21 22   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 7/8/2016 9:47:47 AM   
sillyflower

T50
mud so the only action was in the far south

Attachment (1)

web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

Reply: They already know you're a gamer. What other shame can possibly compare?

(in reply to sillyflower)
Post #: 571
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 7/8/2016 10:09:40 AM   
sillyflower

quote:

ORIGINAL: sillyflower

T50
mud so the only action was in the far south

Brian managed to get back adjacent to Rostov to mess with my supply line again , but his tank xxx ran away and he won't repeat his feat in he mud. In the mountains he failed to break my lock on the coastal rail and the tank xxx on the line decided that it was too dangerous to stay there (see combat screen). I shuffle south east a little in the clear zone but without any urgency as it's mud again next turn and I'm almost at the edge of the european weather zone. Mainly trying to get everyone fuelled and in their jump-off positions for T52.

I have 2 FBDs with my main advance towards Baku so I can convert 4 hexes per turn regardless of weather/terrain. 2 others in the south west to get N and K towns linked up to the supply net and the 5th is near Rostov. Nothing for them to convert anywhere else on the map.

web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

Post #: 572
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 7/11/2016 8:34:19 AM   
sillyflower

T 51

Not terribly exciting turn as the Wehrmacht creeps along keeping to the Europe weather zone where possible and creating a couple of small pockets: 1 secure, 1 not.

Losses were 1.7KG to 5.9K + air 81 to 102, with 2 Bolshevik inf brigades shattering. Novorossiysk becomes a functioning port connected to the rail network

No spoilers, but it really hots up next turn.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 7/11/2016 8:50:06 AM >

web exchange

Post #: 573
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 7/12/2016 1:41:08 AM   
Michael T

We are eager to see your riposte....

Post #: 574
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 7/12/2016 8:52:42 AM   
sillyflower

Riposte????? A grandiose word for mosquito-swatting.

Is Brian's AAR ahead of mine in terms of game turn? Would be helpful to know - tho' not about any of the content obviously.

web exchange

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 575
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 7/12/2016 9:15:56 AM   
STEF78

your are both turn 52 but aren't focused on the same areas...

He shown his victory near Moscow and his "counter attack" South of Rostov

If you do it well he will be in big trouble

Post #: 576
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 7/12/2016 9:21:05 AM   
sillyflower

I haven't reported T52 yet but will try to later today. We're off to Paris tomorrow to see Bruce Springsteen. See you there??????????

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 7/12/2016 9:24:07 AM >

web exchange

(in reply to STEF78)
Post #: 577
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 7/12/2016 10:45:22 AM   
STEF78

quote:

We're off to Paris tomorrow to see Bruce Springsteen. See you there??????????

Would be nice but too many time and money spent with Euro2016

Will drive near Loches in august, I send you a PM at this time in order to organize your Brexit

For all reader's: Sorry, it's off the AAR topic...

Post #: 578
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 7/12/2016 9:32:09 PM   
sillyflower

T52 Moscow

All that armour north of Moscow has to do something as I still have no spare rail capacity. The reinforcements either go straight down south or to the nort/centre to replace better qlity units which can the go south.

Kalinin wasn't on the cards so I thought that a lunge further west was more fun.I forgot to write down what's in the 2 pockets but I think it is 2 divs and 3 brigades or else vice versa. Pocket is very secure. Will have to wait until T54 (next clear turn) to eliminate them but then other opportunities to the north or northwest beckon unless he pumps more troops into the area which would also be good.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 7/12/2016 9:48:32 PM >

web exchange

(in reply to STEF78)
Post #: 579
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 7/12/2016 9:46:57 PM   
sillyflower

Rostov area

Focussing on avoiding another interruption of the rail link at Rostov, and setting up to retake Voroshilovograd, tho' this is of secondary importance at the moment.

In the (unpictured) centre just local attacks to hold the line

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 7/17/2016 9:09:22 AM >

web exchange

Post #: 580
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 7/12/2016 9:59:51 PM   
sillyflower

I've got to break free
God knows, God knows
I want to break free

So I did

Attachment (1)

web exchange

Post #: 581
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 7/14/2016 9:07:16 PM   
sillyflower

Bruce remains The Boss with 3.5 hours of rock perfection, so I can now add commentary. I started by taking out the surrounded cav xxx and inf xx to clear the way forward. Combined strength of only 14,111 men (56% of TOE) was a surprise but good for German morale to see such weakened opponents.Other defenders just routed away leaving the field clear for advances of up to 180 miles in the turn. The combats at the east end were attacks by unit that had already gone past the defenders as I wanted to squeeze him into the Gorky enclave. Not a pocket but the units in it are all 90+ MPs from supply so they won't bet getting much in the way of supplies.

Off the screen there appeared to be v. few ground combat units. I only found 2 near Makhhachkla and a solitary mtn div near Baku.Lets hope I can keep the Bolsheviks bottled up.

Krasnodar seems to be the new Mortain as 4 cav xxx and other troops seem keener to attack there to head back to Baku where they might be of more use.My mtn units storm another 100 square miles of mountains to plant themselves more in the way of enemy units which may try heading east.

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 4/13/2017 8:54:06 PM >

web exchange

Post #: 582
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 7/14/2016 9:42:27 PM   
sillyflower

Thoughts on T52

A long time in the planning, sending as much combat power down there as I could each turn, avoiding earlier overstretch or kicking off too early. Seems to have paid off rather better than expected.

losses on turn about 14K to 30K and air I forgot to look at. However in Brian's T51 air losses were 14G to 134 soviet, so the LW clearly does better without me. Mud next turn so the tip of the spear won't get much fuel though there is 1 pz xx there with lots.

I think freebie return of units is what's keeping Brian alive. However, from the weakness and fragility of Brian's units (2 more arty regts destroyed along with the 2 pocketed units) that we are seeing that his units are generally weak. In my other game as Russians only 2 turns ahead is that destroyed units are building up to full strength in a turn or 2 (my economy is very strong) but ending up with experience levels only in the low-mid teens so they won't be any use for a long time.I suspect the Brian's new units are weak in strength as well as quality which is keeping all his units below strength. I will be interested to find out how strong his pocketed units in the north are when I next have a clear turn to kill them in.

10/10 to Brian for tenacity.

web exchange

Post #: 583
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 7/17/2016 8:28:16 AM   
sillyflower

T53

OMG was my original thought on seeing Brian's T52. Actually, that's not quite true but I don't want to break forum rules by writing rude words.

No triumph is ever so great nor any disaster as bad as first appears, and it became clear that B had put everything in the shop window without a lot of follow-on forces.

I had quite a lot of troops in the area inc. 6 panzer/mot xx + allies, and more have arrived. Last mud turn so it was a question of creating a containment perimeter to stop further advances, whilst preparing forces on both flanks to be ready to c/attack next turn. With luck Rostov '42 will be the new Kharkov '42.

I was able to convert remaining rail hexes around Krasnodar so there will be an alternative supply route next turn, tho' it will be blocked by the 1-5 tank xxx adjacent to the Rumanian 1-6 inf xx guarding the crucial junction bottom of screen in the middle

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 7/17/2016 9:14:57 AM >

web exchange

Post #: 584
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 7/17/2016 8:47:46 AM   
sillyflower

Deep south

Despite little fuel,2 gd cav xx put into secure pockets adjacent to Vorosomething. Note the northern one that can be seen better in the earlier screenshot.

His units down here seem to be very weak (not that the ones further north have much more impressive DVs) and rout easily. Grozny liberated with its massive fuel supplies (anyone know how I can actually get my units to use them?) so I now have 246 VPs.Contact restored with the tip of the spear.

The elite lead infantry divs (inc 1 corps still led by Model) are not bothered by lack of petrol and will get to the front line next turn

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 7/17/2016 9:01:53 AM >

web exchange

Post #: 585
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 7/22/2016 7:58:19 AM   
sillyflower

quote:

Deep south

Grozny liberated with its massive fuel supplies (anyone know how I can actually get my units to use them?)

Anyone?

web exchange

Post #: 586
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 7/22/2016 8:05:09 AM   
Michael T

You can't. Unless you get isolated maybe. Not if this still is the case as it may have changed since I last tested it. But previously if you were cut off in a city with fuel you would get it. But not if a normal supply line is open. Weird hey.

Post #: 587
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 7/23/2016 8:32:38 AM   
sillyflower

Indeed weird. I put 1 Pz A HQ and 2 of its corps HQs in Grozny my last turn, so we shall see once I get the turn back...

web exchange

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 588
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 7/26/2016 8:25:55 AM   
sillyflower

T54

Russian c/attacks fail so I mop up the pockets and carry on for the moment.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 7/26/2016 8:31:12 AM >

web exchange

Post #: 589
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 7/26/2016 8:33:16 AM   
sillyflower

further down

The over-extended Bolsheviks respond well to being herded into holding pens. Rail line cleared and there are 3 FBDs in the area to repair all recaptured rail hexes next turn.

Above the screenshot Voroshilovograd is recaptured as per combat report.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 7/26/2016 8:41:25 AM >

web exchange

Post #: 590
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 7/26/2016 3:02:20 PM   
Manstein63

If only I was doing as well as you. Still its nice to see that Brian is not giving up which he probably would of had to before, because of the now defunked AP crunch.
Manstein63

< Message edited by Manstein63 -- 7/26/2016 3:06:39 PM >

'There is not, nor aught there be, nothing so exalted on the face of god's great earth, as that prince of foods. THE MUFFIN!!!'

Frank Zappa (Muffin Man)

Post #: 591
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 7/27/2016 9:15:25 PM   
sillyflower

Deep south

The case of the mysterious disappearing horses from last turn's pocket. The division shows up in the destroyed list. Came as a great surprise to the attacking Slovaks, who decided to shoot each other instead.

Morvael/Dennis - can either of you explain?

The untrustworthy Bolsheviks south of Krasnodar decided for the first time to advance after attacking aided by some lucky die rolls. The status quo has been restored.

3 FBDs get to the area S of Rostov with damaged rails + I try to herd him off the rail hexes as much as possible. I can now restore the lines next turn. The western line from Rostov via Krasnodar must remain intact for next turn!

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 7/27/2016 10:25:16 PM >

web exchange

(in reply to Manstein63)
Post #: 592
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 7/27/2016 9:25:55 PM   
sillyflower

The tip of the spear

Badly hampered by lack of petrol, we make a little progress. His units round here a clearly weak and enjoy routing as a preferred combat option. Pocket clearance and the surrender of an inf xx too far from a supply source help to reduce the enemy strength here.The 1 pz xx with lots of fuel clears out the defence line on the river north of Makhachkala by routing all its units.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 7/27/2016 9:35:05 PM >

web exchange

Post #: 593
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 7/27/2016 9:46:10 PM   
sillyflower

Thoughts on T54

The lack of petrol is becoming more than annoying. Despite that, the stats were good. Losses 10.8K to 67K (inc 50K prisoners). Air 96 to 196 partly due to some airbase overruns at the tip of the spear. Units destroyed:

2 tank xxx
2 gd cav xx
5 inf xx
2 inf x
2 regts and 3 bns of SUs.

Units pocketed this turn;

3 tank xxx
4 inf xx (inc 1 gd)
6 inf x

It is easy to think that the only thing keeping the Red Army going is all those free unit returns - assuming he's using all his AP each turn so he's running on empty. On the other hand, 60% TOE seems to be the going rate for his units with some with far fewer men than that, so the manpower and/or arms shortages are keeping Brian's strength down.

With the re-liberation of Voroshilovograd, I now have 247 VPs and there are another 7 in the Caucasus so I will then need 6 more from somewhere............

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 7/27/2016 9:52:40 PM >

web exchange

Post #: 594
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 7/27/2016 11:45:38 PM   
chaos45

I think he made a massive mistake not retreating by Krasnodor....esp with you right next to his rail line like that....it has got to burning up a ton of Soviet trucks to keep those guys supplied, not to mention his odds of keep the entire area supplied at all is looking very unlikely...

So that will be an entire Soviet army wiped out for no real reason---not to mention it looks to be a high quality Soviet army lots of Guards and Cav.

An the trucks---his logistics guys have to be crying over lost trucks move supplies up that one coastal road and into the mountains from a rail head over 100 miles away...in real life think that entire Soviet army would have already collapsed from lack of re-supply over the month or so the campaign has gone on there.

Post #: 595
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 7/28/2016 1:10:35 AM   
M60A3TTS

quote:

With the re-liberation of Voroshilovograd, I now have 247 VPs and there are another 7 in the Caucasus so I will then need 6 more from somewhere............

Head for Stalingrad. What could possibly go wrong?

Post #: 596
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 8/1/2016 8:57:48 AM   
sillyflower

T55

The swine cuts the eastern RR from Rostov but the sense of humour moment was a partisan attack cutting the other line. We make do and mend

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 8/1/2016 8:59:34 AM >

web exchange

(in reply to M60A3TTS)
Post #: 597
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 8/1/2016 9:02:27 AM   
sillyflower

North of Rostov

A strange lurch with 5 tank xxx. Probably looked good like a good idea but I had a little armour coming down from the north and Hungarian and Italian units on the way to the front. Most of the latter replaced better Romanians doing city garrison duty so the latter were able to walk to the frontline. The penetration was therefore isolated fairly easily. Contact will be restored easily, but I hope to do a more secure job next turn as the slow transfer of panzertruppen from the north continues.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 8/1/2016 9:11:17 AM >

web exchange

Post #: 598
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 8/1/2016 9:13:44 AM   
sillyflower

Moscow area

Note the French contribution to the successful attack.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 8/8/2016 9:40:54 AM >

web exchange

Post #: 599
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 8/1/2016 9:16:21 AM   
sillyflower

Tidying up and shortening the front -giving the panzers something useful to do before they can rail south.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 8/1/2016 9:17:09 AM >

web exchange

Post #: 600
Page:   <<   < prev  18 19 [20] 21 22   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G Page: <<   < prev  18 19 [20] 21 22   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI