Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G Page: <<   < prev  32 33 [34] 35 36   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 7/19/2017 2:34:05 PM   
Crackaces

quote:

The Bolsheviks open the pocket, and I promptly shut it again.

They might be lukewarm capitalist

(in reply to TunganNinja)
Post #: 991
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 7/19/2017 2:53:56 PM   
sillyflower

Welcome to the forum and to the AAR TunganNinja

Good question. It is better to capture than to rout at any stage in the war. It would have been more fun to put them in a secure pocket, but I routed them because otherwise they would just escape when Brian opened the pocket. I will be explaining my winter strategy soon.

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 7/19/2017 2:55:13 PM >

web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

Reply: They already know you're a gamer. What other shame can possibly compare?

Post #: 992
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 7/19/2017 3:14:00 PM   
STEF78

Waouh! A big fight 1276/1021 AFV. Rare to see both sides over 1000 AFV.

But always impressed with the recovery of the russians! Even badly beaten, they come back...

(in reply to sillyflower)
Post #: 993
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 7/21/2017 7:37:54 AM   
sillyflower

A massive Romanian-Hungarian joint offensive is launched in the far south sends the Brianites reeling back.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 7/21/2017 7:39:12 AM >

web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

(in reply to STEF78)
Post #: 994
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 7/22/2017 11:00:05 AM   
sillyflower

As promised, I set out my plan and the reasoning behind it.

Brian has 3 real shortages. In order of decreasing importance:

1 manpower
2 time
3 trucks

He also has 2 big problems;

1 A large but ineffective air force
2 A full strength Wehrmacht

My plan is therefore simple - make the shortages worse whilst trying to ensure that the 2 problems remain.

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 7/22/2017 12:30:49 PM >

web exchange

Post #: 995
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 7/22/2017 12:54:32 PM   
sillyflower

Manpower

It seems from looking at the Russian OOB that they currently get about 60K men per week. The m/power centre multiplier goes down in Jan '44 from 35 to 30: a drop of 14%. However, some of the men come from the disabled pool so an overall drop of 10% to 54K p/w seems reasonable. In my experience, a full on offensive results in weekly R losses of 80K+. The R OOB at end of T129 (Dec '43) is 6.16M so a net loss of 100K per month will not be sustainable.

The axis multipliers also go down in Jan - from 8 to 7 which a similar %age reduction. However, the axis currently has 600K men in the kitty and the axis forces do get a lot more reinforcements than the soviets.

To put the numbers above in context, in the last 4 turns (up to end G T129) during which fighting has been largely confined to the area SW of Penza, axis losses have been about 83K to 284K R. New axis manpower (excluding reinforcements) has been about 105K, R perhaps 240K and the current OOBs are G 4.32M (+ about 1.6M allies)and R 6.17M. I can keep this up forever. The current loss ratio of 1:3.4 will destroy the Brianite army. The Bolsheviks cannot even afford a loss ratio of even 2R to 1 axis given the reserve m/power numbers, and I've not seen that in any game except perhaps where the axis forces are being isolated and captured in large numbers.

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 7/22/2017 2:54:51 PM >

web exchange

Post #: 996
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 7/22/2017 1:29:10 PM   
sillyflower

Redundant

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 7/23/2017 2:36:51 PM >

web exchange

Post #: 997
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 7/22/2017 3:11:58 PM   
sillyflower

Time

Only 96 turns left, of which I think 22 will be mud which means only 74 'useful' ones. I think I have 274 or 275 VPs which means Brian needs to recapture 1 VP per non-mud turn to avoid a major defeat (to add to the auto-defeat in this VC260 game ). Hanging onto 200+ VPs is therefore now my target which means I have a reason for carrying on other than just because Brian wants to. Of course, I am assuming that Brian will want to carry on for that long but he's refused earlier offers to give up.

web exchange

Post #: 998
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 7/22/2017 3:30:47 PM   
sillyflower

Trucks

Clearly the least of Brian's shortages but not to be ignored. He seems to have quite a tank/mech heavy army, not least as a proportion of his forces. This makes perfect sense given that his factories will be churning out AFVs much faster than his baby factories produce fresh recruits. He was already bemoaning a shortage of trucks in another AAR or part of the forum when I think we were in mid '43. From memory of his screenshot he only had only 80 or 90K trucks in the pool and needed about 20% more, but I may be wrong. On the other hand,his army is only about 70% of normal size for this time, and hasn't done anything much in '43 so perhaps the problem isn't so bad at the moment.

In my experience the position only gets worse - particularly when the Russians go on the offensive which is what he's now starting to do, so he will have some mobility/supply problems going forward. If he does go forward anyway.

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 7/22/2017 5:34:13 PM >

web exchange

Post #: 999
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 7/22/2017 8:58:35 PM   
sillyflower

Brian's 2 problems

The first is the Wehrmacht. The Soviet army at end of T128 was 6.16M vs Wehrmacht of 4.31 - only 143% bigger. I think it was Chaos who wrote that it needed to be at least twice as big to get anywhere.

The performance of the Red a/f has been very poor. I think this is partly because of his policy of airbase bombing. It has never had any negative effect on the LW but has probably cost him thousands of a/c - to the detriment of the red a/f's morale and the opposite to the LW's. I have also been careful when using the LW offensively. I haven't used it to do defensive bombing missions for perhaps a year, and only sparingly offensively for ground support. I therefore still have bombers left and he didn't get a lot of easy wins. That said, for a couple of turns recently, I forgot to turn ground support off at the end of my turn..

All my day fighters are set for day and night work. They have been since his U2s started operating in numbers and they have made the most of their chances to shoot down such easy targets. The LW lives very close to the front line, and the other units a max of 2 hexes from the fighters in order to be covered by them. I don't max out ftr use during my turn so they are in good condition for defensive work. I also try to keep the bulk of the LW where the ground action is. The LW doesn't add much value in the backwaters, though I keep LW bases there to be ready to take transfers.

I know Glavka's LW has been/is being hammered by PJH. I can only assume that G has omitted at least 1 of my defensive measures, but maybe his LW has reached the point where it has lost the quality edge (morale + exp) over the red a/f which means my approach won't work.

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 7/22/2017 9:08:39 PM >

web exchange

Post #: 1000
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 7/22/2017 9:10:11 PM   
sillyflower

POST 1000

Unless someone responds to what I've written above whilst I type this. Many thanks to all those who have contributed to this by posting. I will try to make this one interesting.

As a mainly R player, I have concluded that almost all my G opponents attack either for too long in '42 and/or too much in later years. I suppose that it may makes sense if the G player expects to resign early, but it won't help anyone playing the long game. The key issue is how I define what is too much G offensive action. The answer is simple and is easy for any player to spot.

The decisive success factor in virtually every game is the loss ratio between the 2 sides. I know that capture of factories inc. baby factories matters as does relatives OOBs. However these are all very dependent on the loss ratios. Kill large enough numbers of baddies whilst keeping your losses down will give you the ability to do the other things. Don't kill enough Russians in the summer '41 and the R army will stay strong enough so you won't get the terrain and factories you need. Losing too many germans in the first winter is more likely if you lost too many before then. By end Nov '41 killing 2.5M R for the loss of 500K axis is better than killing 2.7M for losses of 700K. 3M to 600K is obviously much better because 5:1 is a great loss ratio if you are the '1'. Lose too much by spring '42 and you will struggle to get anywhere in '42 unless the Rs are particularly weak.

My distinction between loss ratios and OOBs may seem a bit artificial in the early stages because it is hard for the G player to wreck the Wehrmacht in the 1st few months. However, if you look at Brian's 1st winter O, you will see that the loss ratios were bad for him so that in the spring of '42 I was relatively much stronger than him.

I will have to finish this tomorrow.............

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 7/23/2017 10:19:45 AM >

web exchange

Post #: 1001
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 7/23/2017 1:07:31 AM   
TunganNinja

Looks like the Wehrmacht is in good hands this game. I find it fascinating that you have gotten to this level of stalemate with Brian. It is already Dec. 1943, and still it is anyone's game. I'm amazed at his recovery from his late '42 defeats, since he is still able to grind for land with his many armoured forces. Still, if you play a patient game, time is on your side. Wow, saying it outloud that's a really weird thing to say about G in WitE, heh.

Also thank you for the warm welcome. I've actually been following your game for at least a year, can't believe it has taken me this long to post. Hoping to see G in Penza this game. Maybe in '45. :P

Edit: When I say stalemate, I mean Brian can't get to Moscow, and when I say anyone's game, I mean you won this game by a landslide. Gotta give credit when it is due.

< Message edited by TunganNinja -- 7/23/2017 4:06:18 AM >

Post #: 1002
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 7/23/2017 11:08:15 AM   
sillyflower

I have just spent 40 mins typing this post only to be timed out , so am trying again with frequent saving, hoping that I can remember what I wrote....

loss ratios part 2

The hard part is knowing what a good loss ratio is. For G, 5:1 before the 1st blizzard is good, but that would be rubbish for the 1st 5 turns. My rule of thumb (which I have just invented for this post) is 4:1 is good for G in '42 and less than 3:1 is good for R. If your ratio is good, then obviously the higher actual totals the better, and the opposite applies if the ratio is poor. In '43, 2.5 to 1 is likely to be good for G. These numbers are roughly based on comparative replacement rates and should be seen only as a starting point. For example, for G, captives make HIWIs which add to G replacements which has the same effect as lowering G losses.

However, loss ratios are not everything even though they are usually the key to eventual victory. After all in chess (which is the game where the loss ratio probably matters more than in any other) the sacrifice of a piece may be the key to eventual victory.

The successful player then has to know when sacrificing the loss ratio will lead to greater benefits in this or subsequent turns. In my experience, players are much more likely to attack to much rather than too seldom so perhaps the trick is to understand better when not to attack.As a R player, there is nothing I like to see than G being too aggressive in '42 or '43 -or later but so few games get into '44. Attacking R inf, especially in forts, will produce almost always a v. poor loss ratio for G. Of itself, this just weakens the axis and makes my task of grinding my way to Berlin so much easier. Some may say there is a morale benefit for the G in doing this. I disagree. It helps my morale a lot, and the weakening of the axis makes it easier for me to attack successfully; thus it's the soviets who end up with the greater morale benefit.

So when is attacking after '41 any good?

1 When it will give a good loss ratio. That doesn't have to be every turn. The best pockets very often take 2 or 3 turns to create

2 when there is some other benefit such as gaining useful ground or lots of baby or other factories in the area. Not all ground is of use. Regaining ground to buy time may be sensible especially if time is tight for the Bolsheviks to get a win.

3 If you just like attacking and don't care that much about any long term downside. It's only a game so there's no point if you don't enjoy playing it.

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 7/23/2017 12:43:32 PM >

web exchange

Post #: 1003
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 7/23/2017 2:36:13 PM   
sillyflower

deleted

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 7/23/2017 2:37:45 PM >

web exchange

Post #: 1004
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 7/24/2017 1:47:25 PM   
sillyflower

So how do all of my ramblings of the last couple of days translate into a plan? Going back to Brian's 3 shortages (men,time and trucks) the plan is to

1. Try to ensure no pockets (especially of G units) with freeing them a priority whilst avoiding the trap of throwing good units after bad.

2. Focus on kicking his armour (which now sort of includes the cav xxx) whenever it sticks its nose out. Secure pockets will be almost impossible unless Brian gets very rash, so the focus has to be on routing them or at least to cause ZOC to ZOC retreats. These can of course lead to routs if over-stacking leads to retreats of more than 1 hex. I will only go after the inf xxx if necessary to cut off penetrations (most effective in blizzard when inf xxx move slowly) or to enable armour-whacking. This strategy should also make the R player more cautious, but who knows if Brian will be affected........

3 Keep a paranoid eye over loss ratios, but at the same time try to maximise R casualties.

4 Ignore my plan if a better option emerges at any point. It was Pitaman who told me about the frustrations of a Russian general trying to teach US army doctrine to soviet officers. The general said it was rather pointless because Americans don't follow their own doctrine, and nobody cares when they don't.

web exchange

Post #: 1005
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 7/24/2017 2:18:12 PM   
Stelteck

your position is really good currently. All you light are green.

You could of course probably secure a victory by conservative play, strong monitoring of looses and cautious actions, but maybe you will get bore of that.

Maybe you should think big and try an aggressive and ambitious plan to completely destroy the soviet army by all out offensive. Whatever it succeed or not it would be a great time for everyone (you, your opponent, and all the fans reading this AAR ).

Aim to the sky !!!

< Message edited by Stelteck -- 7/24/2017 2:21:15 PM >

Post #: 1006
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 7/24/2017 8:27:57 PM   
sillyflower

You write as a true Frenchman Stelteck, and I mean that in a good way: not suggesting that you want the Englishman to be defeated .

However, I am a mere Anglo-Saxon with only a very small amount of french ancestry. You will know from your history books that we prefer to win by fighting defensively.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 7/24/2017 8:40:44 PM >

web exchange

(in reply to Stelteck)
Post #: 1007
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 7/24/2017 9:27:46 PM   
Stelteck

Ha ha true !!!
Victory or defeat is not important, what is matter is to be superbe / magnificent

< Message edited by Stelteck -- 7/24/2017 9:34:00 PM >

Post #: 1008
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 7/25/2017 8:00:12 PM   
sillyflower

Ah yes, that famous Russian actor as he now is *, and I'm delighted to learn that your national sports teams and their supporters don't care if they win or not, as long as they look good.

* Editor's note: Mr Depardieu became a Russian citizen a few years ago to escape the French tax system. I dare not say more otherwise I risk falling foul of the 'no politics' rule.

web exchange

(in reply to Stelteck)
Post #: 1009
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 7/25/2017 8:04:03 PM   
sillyflower

Anyway, I carry on in my boring English way.

T127 con't. Still 1 inf xxx, 1 cav xxx and 1 mech x in the pocket (picture on previous page ) as I make another attempt to wipe them out. I meant to take screenshots of losses but forgot, but I think they were approx 26K to 85K; air 200 to 700 (I forgot to turn off ground support at the end of my previous turn). Over 2K AFVs destroyed and 2K trucks captured. Only other news: I spotted 2 rocket xx participating in an attack. I still haven't seen any regular arty divs, but that may be just inadequate study of Brian's attacks.

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 7/26/2017 6:06:05 AM >

web exchange

Post #: 1010
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 7/25/2017 9:17:56 PM   
Michael T

This game must surely go in to record books as one of the longest (in real time terms) in the history of WITE AAR's. I commend your resolve David.

Post #: 1011
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 7/26/2017 6:04:51 AM   
sillyflower

Thanks Michael but the real credit must go to Brian - and to the rule change giving the Russians virtually free unit returns which made it possible for him to survive. I think the game also has the most AAR posts ever - over 1800 so far so our readers must also have a lot of resolve

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 7/26/2017 6:09:23 AM >

web exchange

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 1012
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 7/27/2017 3:14:10 PM   
sillyflower

T128. A bit behind hand as Brian is doing his T131, but here goes

Groundhog day as the Brianites re-open the pocket and I re-close it as strongly as I can. Combat screen shows how expensive it can be even to do a soak-off. Nothing much if anything going on out of sight from this screenshot.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 7/27/2017 3:20:26 PM >

web exchange

Post #: 1013
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 7/27/2017 3:26:11 PM   
sillyflower

losses - sorry it looks slightly strange but I had saved in the wrong format initially

Very happy with these figures even if not quite as good as last turn in which I think the Bolsheviks lost over 2000 AFV types and had over 2K trucks captured. I don't know what the capture:loss ratio is for trucks but losing over 3K in 3 turns must hurt.

I just need to be able to keep it up but it will get harder as the combat losses show the Brianites are getting better equipment in greater numbers. The soviets lost about 3K+ AFVs etc in 3 weeks but I'm sure there are inexhaustible reserve pools. However, hammering the tanks will keep the combat power of those units down as they lose morale and experience.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 7/27/2017 3:41:34 PM >

web exchange

Post #: 1014
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 7/27/2017 3:36:38 PM   
Crackaces

I for one am very appreciative that this game continued. WitE has gone through multiple revisions -- especially to the combat system. This AAR documents "Unentschieden" (battle lines with limited breakout) with 1.11 software behavior.
Even if the "mildly capitalist" lose decisively .. there are lessons for the rest of us . and I bet Brian is enjoying the journey ..

Anyway thanks for keeping the AAR up.

< Message edited by Crackaces -- 7/27/2017 3:39:20 PM >

Post #: 1015
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 7/28/2017 12:59:32 PM   
sillyflower

air losses

Attachment (1)

web exchange

(in reply to Crackaces)
Post #: 1016
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 7/28/2017 1:00:38 PM   
sillyflower

T138 OOBs

Re manpower G are down 30K and R up by the same amount in the last 12 turns, but some of the G change is probably due to withdrawls.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 7/28/2017 1:12:49 PM >

web exchange

Post #: 1017
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 7/28/2017 2:04:05 PM   
Stelteck

365 T-34 destroyed in one normal week of battle

Post #: 1018
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 7/28/2017 7:44:29 PM   
sillyflower

That's nothing. It was 900+ on T137 when the baddies lost 2K AFVs

web exchange

(in reply to Stelteck)
Post #: 1019
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 7/29/2017 4:32:21 PM   
sillyflower

T129

As the Brianites managed to break the pocket again after countless attacks (something at which he excels), I am forced to rout the trapped units out otherwise they would just be rescued and free to walk out. The red air force paid a high price though.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 7/30/2017 4:38:51 PM >

web exchange

Post #: 1020
Page:   <<   < prev  32 33 [34] 35 36   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G Page: <<   < prev  32 33 [34] 35 36   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI