Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 1/10/2016 4:04:58 PM   
chaos45

Your doing very well, and you still have quite a few clear turns left---as its not until mid october that the mud hits. So almost a full month and a half.

Even then you will get november to fix your lines and dig in due to snow.

Moscow most likely be a long shot but leningrad/Tula/Kharkov/stalino esp if you nail a bunch of factories is a good 1941.

(in reply to STEF78)
Post #: 151
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 1/10/2016 6:54:12 PM   
sillyflower

Thank you Stef and chaos for your kind comments

All German players curse the shortness of the first summer, and all Russians know that it is too long.

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 1/10/2016 7:54:36 PM >

web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

Reply: They already know you're a gamer. What other shame can possibly compare?

(in reply to chaos45)
Post #: 152
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 1/13/2016 4:50:33 PM   
sillyflower

We reach T12

Osinovets falls to 56 PzK so L'grad is finally isolated. Equally important, the main city of L with its 25 rail yards falls to massed infantry assaults after being bombed twice and attacked 3 times. Admittedly the 2nd attack was a mis-click involving 1 stack only. THe fight was costly. Losses were G: 2.6K men and and 46 a/c to 4.6k Russians and 90 a/c, but well worth it. I didn't see the point in waiting until the city was isolated because it would still be in supply (heavy urban hex) and 1 Corps is now on the rail line ready to head to Moscow next turn.

I'm not planning to take all of the city complex before the snow. Though I will take the easy stuff quickly next turn. I need the troops to take the Volkov river line and Volkov itself to force a Red withdrawl from the far north. I can't do both without leaving Model up there, especially as Manstein is already on his way to Moscow, which I do not want to do.

I hope this isn't too gamey. I would welcome the views of others.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 1/14/2016 8:43:49 AM >

web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

(in reply to sillyflower)
Post #: 153
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 1/13/2016 8:45:57 PM   
sillyflower

centre

Vyazma falls and the push For Moscow is on.

I decided against using PzG 2 for a push to Tula. Unlikely to reach it soon enough especially after the regaining of territory Brian achieved there in his turn. 1 of its Pz xxx moved back a few hexes ready for HQBU next turn.Just on screen, Bryansk was freed from Stalinist oppression.

The 2 Pz xxx from PzG 3 (yellow ones) fell just short of creating a pocket just west of Kaluga. I could have moved the Pz div at Medyn 1 more hex to close a very breakable pocket, but chose against. It would almost certainly be routed out if I moved it, but I don't mind ( not that much anyway) if Brian just retreats it as he is bound to do. Its corps is on the 1st turn after the HQBU so it will be wasted if routed away somewhere. The easternmost attack on the hex NE of Kaluga displaced STAVKA and an army HQ: an attack that could not be resisted. Let's hope I killed someone important !

Manstein's corps (- 1 pz regt) reaches the Dnepr towards the west edge of the screen. It could not get further without having to stay in rail mode and it uses all my rail capacity. The 2 new pz xxs I got this turn as reinforcement are having to walk as it is and keeping the xxx on rails this turn would prevent me from railing Model's 1 xxx next turn. The battle for Moscow is going to be a close one. I need Model here now (cue sounds of carpet-chewing)!

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 3/16/2016 11:01:48 PM >

web exchange

Post #: 154
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 1/14/2016 6:54:32 AM   
sillyflower

South

Z town cleared by follow-on forces, the communist swine had been more successful at cutting of my spearhead than I had expected . Nonetheless, they pay a price. The panzers sweep round the southern flank of the defences yet again. No fewer than 7 cavalry and 2 inf divisions are very carefully herded (it probably took me an hour to work out and implement the sequencing to minimise routs out whilst minimising the size of the pocket as some units had to be retreated 3 times: but I'm retired so have the time) into a slightly unwieldy but secure-looking pocket, turning the apparent set-back into a major defeat for the Soviets. Securing the pocket did mean allowing a couple of divs rout out, but that is better than having a pocket that would be easily broken in a location that would hamper my advance next turn.

A motorised div on HQBU managed to head east unopposed, entering Tagranog and destroying the arms, HI and Lagg 3 factories before they had a chance to evacuate. Rostov looked as if it might suffer the same fate. However calculations showed that any thrust there would fall 20 miles short before our brave troops had to stop to refuel. This was a real disappointment Rostov appeared to be totally unguarded [No sign of any defenders after I flew 10 recce missions over the hex]. Reluctantly, the division was ordered to pull back slightly in order to secure the east flank of the pocket. The ports along the north coast of the Black Sea and the Bay of Tagranog were all liberated in case the pocketed units tried to break out that way.

Slightly futher north, the good guys plant themselves firmly next to Kharkov, though sadly only 6 vehicles and the SU2 factories remain there.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 1/14/2016 9:21:50 AM >

web exchange

Post #: 155
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 1/14/2016 8:16:41 AM   
sillyflower

Thoughts on T12

The bad news is that Brian seems to have abandoned bombing my recce a/c bases. He hasn't done it for 3 turns now.

A happy turn otherwise. Losses were not good at 10.5K to 69.5K but total to date are 204K to 2.1M. A/c losses 104 v 393 for the turn and 1161 to 9171 in total. Between the south and Lgrad, there are 11 inf, 7 cav 1 tank and 1 mech div together with 1 naval inf x, 3 sec units and 1 fort and GM Vasily Gordov's 23 Army HQ in pockets so that will be 150K men or so. STAVKA and 3 army HQs were displaced this turn so hopefully Stalin will be busy going to some funerals of his senior commanders.

The loss of the L'grad railyards and 3 others this turn will reduce Soviet rail capacity by 14K to 117K, which I hope he will really notice.

In what will probably be an isolated incident, for the first time, some terrorists caused some minor damage to an unimportant railway spur line south of Minsk. The cowardly perpetrators were chased off with heavy losses and the damage repaired without any delay. Any more such cowardly actions will be dealt with even more severely as the Fuhrer declares a War on Sabotage.

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 1/14/2016 9:40:52 AM >

web exchange

Post #: 156
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 1/14/2016 4:41:02 PM   
charlie0311

[image][/image]The grateful peoples of the Ukraine wish to present the traditional welcome of bread and salt to the mighty Sillyflower.

Others, like me, who wish to emulate this courageous act may like to see the rail net, details of the hqbu, before and after, fuel/supply/ammo/mps. Distance to rail, leadership, everything.[image][/image]

Post #: 157
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 1/14/2016 8:42:41 PM   
sillyflower

Your homage is accepted Charlie

The northern rail line is next to the first cities of the L'grad complex, AGC's is next to Smolensk (you can see it). In the south just past Kiev heading east heading towards Kursk (I think) and 8 hexes from D town. All the construction units are in OKH or army groups back-filling the rail network. Single source rail lines are too vulnerable to terrorists for my liking

The other stuff (especially names and unit numbers) I can never remember and I'm not going to spend ages writing it down - the AAR is about 1 week in real time behind the game and takes me more than enough time to do anyway. I try to make sure when preparing to do HQBU that the HQ and divs will be within 20 MP of rail head. That produces really good results ito fuel levels. I do remember that I got the mythical 200% once but doubt I looked again at the start of a turn. Supply is not an issue and I don't pay any attention - at least not at this point in the war. I put my time and thinking into how to do pockets when that can be done or to ensure grinding gets the maximum no. of routs. That means putting a lot of thought into the sequencing of attacks as well as just counting MPs.

Part of my former job was to train the junior lawyers who worked for me. I would never tell them the answer to a problem or how to do something they could look up for themselves (unless time was too short) but always how to look at the issue or problem so they could would learn how work it out for themselves. It had the advantage that the brightest ones usually wanted to work for me and the less able did not - which suited me too!

If I'm trying to do anything with the AAR other than to amuse, it's the same sort of thing. I want to help the less experienced or confident player to think about how to do stuff rather than trying to suggest that they try to copy what I do. I can only do that by explaining how I approach issues, not by giving them reams of facts and statistics of the sort you suggest. If anyone wants to learn more about these, they need to play the game and find out for themselves.

web exchange

(in reply to charlie0311)
Post #: 158
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 1/14/2016 10:28:32 PM   
charlie0311

Thanks anyway I guess. You say 20 MP's from the railhead. OK, shouldn't be too much trouble to answer the following. 20 motorized or non-motorized, 20 from the completed rail head or where the rail head will be in the next logistics phase. See, that was easy. Maybe it's just 20 hexes, and mp's don't matter.

Post #: 159
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 1/15/2016 8:57:14 AM   
sillyflower

20 MPs from where the railhead will be next turn ie the turn the HQBU is done. I therefore usually park on a hex that is 22 or 23 MPs on the turn I move back, just to be on the safe side. The game gives the MPs from the supply source for every hex counting from the railhead to the unit. It's in motorised MP because that's what the supply system uses.

NB to avoid any doubt, your qu's were fine but I was just trying to explain why I wasn't going/able to answer them all. Anyone can ask me anything they like

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 1/15/2016 10:04:07 AM >

web exchange

(in reply to charlie0311)
Post #: 160
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 1/15/2016 9:42:28 AM   
loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: sillyflower

Part of my former job was to train the junior lawyers who worked for me. I would never tell them the answer to a problem or how to do something they could look up for themselves (unless time was too short) but always how to look at the issue or problem so they could would learn how work it out for themselves. It had the advantage that the brightest ones usually wanted to work for me and the less able did not - which suited me too!

If I'm trying to do anything with the AAR other than to amuse, it's the same sort of thing. I want to help the less experienced or confident player to think about how to do stuff rather than trying to suggest that they try to copy what I do. I can only do that by explaining how I approach issues, not by giving them reams of facts and statistics of the sort you suggest. If anyone wants to learn more about these, they need to play the game and find out for themselves.

I used to do that to junior statisticians ... some never grasped that since I probably both knew the answer and how to get there why I wouldn't simply tell them, or why I'd look at their initial answer and tell them it was wrong even without checking the details.

I for one really appreciate the way you are doing this, its a level of insight into the game from the axis side I've never really mastered. But, I have no desire to copy anyone, its always a case of looking for new understanding filtered through my own ideas so really think you have the balance right

(can I claim my cheque now? )

edit: about that last turn, you've managed to catch quite a lof of his cavalry divisions in the south - has to be good for minimising the impact of his winter counter-attack

< Message edited by loki100 -- 1/15/2016 10:44:32 AM >

Post #: 161
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 1/15/2016 11:39:45 AM   
Manstein63

I can only hope that my turn 12 will be as productive
Manstein63

'There is not, nor aught there be, nothing so exalted on the face of god's great earth, as that prince of foods. THE MUFFIN!!!'

Frank Zappa (Muffin Man)

Post #: 162
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 1/15/2016 11:40:56 AM   
sillyflower

quote:

ORIGINAL: loki100

edit: about that last turn, you've managed to catch quite a lof of his cavalry divisions in the south - has to be good for minimising the impact of his winter counter-attack

I'm hoping that it will also damage his defence for this summer too - it's a chunk of units lost. In reality the Russians don't have enough APs until '44 so the effect will last way beyond the winter. The AP crunch has started

As for the cheque, I will ask Hitman to send mine to you instead. Mind you, it's probably a week's earnings for him. I know he has had a very successful career and gets stellar quality ratings from his patients, but he lives in the middle of nowhere so probably gets paid largely in animal parts and moonshine instead of cash. Below is a picture of him after the successful opening of his new clinic. The first day's takings can be seen in the foreground.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 1/15/2016 1:02:05 PM >

web exchange

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 163
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 1/19/2016 1:50:53 PM   
sillyflower

T15 just sent back to Brian so here's T13 north

Just clearing out the isolated units, though GM Gordov decided that solidarity with the workers is not all it is cracked up to be, and fled with his key staff rather than sharing the privations of his troops.

I have left the 2 remaining cities. I will get back to them in the snow but my assault forces are needed elsewhere. Fans of the Finns will be pleased to see them start to come down to take up garrison and guard duties.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 1/19/2016 2:57:45 PM >

web exchange

Post #: 164
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 1/19/2016 4:32:20 PM   
sillyflower

Centre

I thought it was time to show the middle where not much is happening. He runs and I waddle after him.

The eagle-eyed will notice that there is a russian combat unit at the east end of the Pripyet marshes. It's not moving and I'm not wasting a unit going after it. I will leave it until the snow or possibly later ie when I have a rail line close enough. All the little grey blobs on the west side of the map are construction units busy converting railroads to narrow guage

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 1/19/2016 5:38:13 PM >

web exchange

Post #: 165
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 1/19/2016 4:48:37 PM   
timmyab

The combat unit in the marshes is a FZ I think.

(in reply to chaos45)
Post #: 166
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 1/19/2016 8:01:26 PM   
sillyflower

You must be right. How disappointing.

The push on Moscow continues with 4 inf xx pocketed (they aren't in the way there) and 14 other divs routed so are not going to be in good shape next week. The Northern part of the thrust is supported by Manstein's corps attacking straight off their march from Smolensk In the meantime a pz xxx from 2PzG SW of Kaluga gasses up to head for Tula or to aid the Moscow push. Probably to aid the latter schwerpunkt because they will have a clear path once he pocket is cleared, but it will depend on the strength of the enemy between me and Tula. Having options is always good but concentrating one's attack forces is usually best.

Going to be close race but it doesn't look as if Brian has any fortified defence line to fall back on. Model's corps is refitting en route expected at Vyazma by the end of next week. Model's HQ has just gone past Vitebsk because there were no trains for him. His troops are keen to replicate their success at Leningrad.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 1/19/2016 9:25:32 PM >

web exchange

(in reply to timmyab)
Post #: 167
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 1/19/2016 8:33:20 PM   
sillyflower

In post 7 above, I set a joke target of T14 for Rostov based on progress continuing as per the first couple of turns.

After having got so close last week, the same motorised division entered Rostov in triumph this week, although it took 4 or 5 attacks to dislodge the motorised division that had moved in to garrison it. Sadly this meant that there were no units left to chase down all those juicy HQs and airbases to the east and north east, or to cut the rail lines to Voroshilovograd. That would have been nice as it still has its factories. So, surprisingly did Rostov .

Makeeva also fell and Axis forces just walked into Kharkov. The light blue Pz xxx from 2PzG holds position W of Stalino and does an HQBU

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 1/19/2016 10:27:04 PM >

web exchange

Post #: 168
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 1/19/2016 8:51:41 PM   
loki100

really looking like Brian is in deep trouble. Perhaps paying the price for such an aggressive early game defence? Though your steady tempo of advance is putting him under a lot of pressure

Post #: 169
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 1/19/2016 9:49:05 PM   
Peltonx

Moscow is what matters as vs smokendave I did same.

If you don't take the crowned jewel its all for a draw, which is great.

The Horde from Mordor rebuilds very quickly.

Great game play on your part, not more then 6 or 7 good German players out their

Your one of the few, the very few.

1. NON RANDOM WEATHER X

They can have +1

< Message edited by Pelton -- 1/19/2016 10:52:05 PM >

Beta Tester WitW & WitE

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 170
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 1/20/2016 9:07:18 AM   
ericv

You are doing very well indeed, fighting against one of the best, if not the best, remaining SHC players. From what I can gather from Brian's AAR's he hasn't lost yet, but he seems to be in big trouble.

Would like to see you square off against Pelton one way or another, but neither one of you would want to play SHC I imagine.

On a sidenote, are server games protected from memory editing? I read that Pelton only plays Server based games and I reckon that is the reason.

(in reply to Peltonx)
Post #: 171
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 1/20/2016 10:12:31 AM   
sillyflower

Thank you both for your kind words

@ericv - Brian hasn't got an AAR for this game. At least, I can't see it: not that I could look at it anyway.

I'm not sure what memory editing is. I haven't got a clue in fact...............

web exchange

(in reply to ericv)
Post #: 172
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 1/20/2016 10:20:04 AM   
Manstein63

quote:

ORIGINAL: ericv

You are doing very well indeed, fighting against one of the best, if not the best, remaining SHC players. From what I can gather from Brian's AAR's he hasn't lost yet, but he seems to be in big trouble.

Would like to see you square off against Pelton one way or another, but neither one of you would want to play SHC I imagine.

Unfortunately I can attest that Monsieur Sillyflower is just as capable (if not better) as the Soviets than he appears to be as the Axis, as he has been repeatedly ruining my evenings for the past year or so. Still its nice to see that he is kicking someone else as it makes my pain a bit more bearable.
Manstein63

'There is not, nor aught there be, nothing so exalted on the face of god's great earth, as that prince of foods. THE MUFFIN!!!'

Frank Zappa (Muffin Man)

(in reply to ericv)
Post #: 173
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 1/20/2016 11:18:03 AM   
ericv

sillyflower: I was referring to AAR's in general, in which Brian is one of the players, Brian against Pelton, TDV, etc not of course his game against you. I probably phrased it incorrectly, but there you go. :-)
btw: If memory editing doesn't ring a bell, it's best kept that way.

Manstein63 : Not surprisingly, talent and able-ness usually is not restricted to just playing one side.

< Message edited by ericv -- 1/20/2016 12:34:11 PM >

Post #: 174
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 1/20/2016 3:30:52 PM   
sillyflower

I just thought you were saying that Brian had posted that he was in big trouble in our game. He isn't against Pelton.

web exchange

(in reply to ericv)
Post #: 175
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 1/20/2016 3:38:49 PM   
sillyflower

Thoughts on T13

losses much better at 7.9K to 142K largely thanks to taking the surrender of 15 divisions, 2 brigades + odds and ends. Soviet losses include nearly 1000 cav squads,mainly due to the destruction of 7 cav xx in the south. German and Rumanian troops of AGC celebrate with massive barbecues.

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 3/16/2016 11:17:04 PM >

web exchange

Post #: 176
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 1/20/2016 3:50:47 PM   
sillyflower

Thoughts on T13

losses much better at 7.9K to 142K but ar a poor 113 v 172, losses largely due to 25 destroyed units inc 7 cav, 6 inf, 1 tk and 1 mot xx + 2 brigades. Following the destruction of those cav xx in the south, German and Rumanian soldiers benefit from extra rations

Historical note: I'm not sure if the Germans and/or Rumanians ate horses except as last resort, but the French regt is not yet on the map. Horseflesh very plentiful around here much to the upset of the real Sillyflower

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 1/21/2016 7:48:59 AM >

web exchange

Post #: 177
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 1/20/2016 3:55:11 PM   
HITMAN202

But the point to be made is that Sillyflower (AKA David M.) is not only a good German player and possibly an even better Soviet one, but also a raconteur of the highest level as seen in his AAR's. So many of the best WITE are selfish with their skills. That is why I respect Pelton so much. He is not niggardly.

I'm surprised that Sillyflower has recognized both my German royalty (von) and American southern redneck ancestry. The best way to explain it is that I'm German above the neck and redneck elsewhere.

WITE is a good addiction with no cure.

(in reply to ericv)
Post #: 178
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 1/20/2016 4:30:55 PM   
sillyflower

You should not be surprised about my recognising both parts of your ancestry. Have you forgotten the redneck test you did on your AAR that is now, sadly, archived?

web exchange

(in reply to HITMAN202)
Post #: 179
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 1/20/2016 4:41:11 PM   
sillyflower

Back to T13

The fall of the 3 cities in the south netted another 16 rail yards, or 8K of soviet rail capacity. He should be down to 109K now which must hurt. He's also lost 48 arms and 36 HI to date. Brian seems to be favouring moving HI over arms. Another 16 arms are locked up in Stalino and Kaluga.

I don't think the loss of HI will hurt the Bolsheviks given the loss of other factories, but more arms would be nice.

Our forces came across the new style tank brigades for the first time. The only one that did not rout on first contact shattered instead. May many more of these appear in the front line.

I'm happy with things but I do not underestimate Brian. Moscow is now the crucial battle before the blizzard, as Pelton has noted. It's still got all its factories and there are 17 arms still in Tula I think.

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 1/20/2016 8:55:46 PM >

web exchange

Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI