Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Can someone explain what the unit power number reflects?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa >> Can someone explain what the unit power number reflects? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Can someone explain what the unit power number reflects? - 11/30/2015 4:29:22 AM   
mantrain

Not sure this number is explained in the manual or I could not find it explained. This is the number you find in larger type setting directly underneath the Nato insignia. Interesting when you view a unit's relative factors, like supply, integrity etc, the power value is not found where all the other values are. I wonder if it is something like hit-points.
Post #: 1
RE: Can someone explain what the unit power number refl... - 11/30/2015 5:53:54 AM   
stonestriker

It indicates the size of the unit and have no relation to supply, equipment, morale, attack factors, etc. Of course it can be used as a pretty good indicator of the units ability to fight, as there is generally a correlation between size and combat prowess :)

DC3 Bug Spotters Gold Logie award

(in reply to mantrain)
Post #: 2
RE: Can someone explain what the unit power number refl... - 11/30/2015 7:40:32 AM   
gunnergoz

Historically, size of a unit does not always correlate to fighting power due to those same factors mentioned above, i.e. supply, equipment, morale - to which I'll add readiness, leadership, doctrine etc. It would be an improvement if we could show even a rough rounded combat value (just as we do the stacking value) for each unit and stack as one key stroke option along with the other display options.

"Things are getting better!
...Well, maybe not as good as they were yesterday, but much better than they will be tomorrow!"
-Old Russian saying

(in reply to stonestriker)
Post #: 3
RE: Can someone explain what the unit power number refl... - 11/30/2015 8:47:54 AM   
stonestriker

quote:

ORIGINAL: gunnergoz

Historically, size of a unit does not always correlate to fighting power due to those same factors mentioned above, i.e. supply, equipment, morale - to which I'll add readiness, leadership, doctrine etc. It would be an improvement if we could show even a rough rounded combat value (just as we do the stacking value) for each unit and stack as one key stroke option along with the other display options.

Hence, why I wrote generally. Combat effectiveness is highly specific to a given situation and the units involved in a combat, so a generic combat value would be hard to use effectively, as I see it. A dug-in infantry in a forest hex defending against tanks would be much more effective than when they are attacking in open plains against infantry.

But perhaps I am misunderstanding something about the concept of combat value?

< Message edited by stonestriker -- 11/30/2015 6:26:29 PM >

DC3 Bug Spotters Gold Logie award

(in reply to gunnergoz)
Post #: 4
RE: Can someone explain what the unit power number refl... - 11/30/2015 5:20:48 PM   
mekjak

It represents the number of elements in that particular unit. For example, infantry is divided into blocks of 200 and guns into blocks of 10, so a typical German infantry division is 50 infantry blocks (10000 men) plus 18 gun blocks (180 guns) and that gives you a power rating of 68. It's just a quick way to eyeball the rough size/power of a unit and doesn't necessarily indicate how well it will do in actual combat.

(in reply to stonestriker)
Post #: 5
RE: Can someone explain what the unit power number refl... - 11/30/2015 5:31:03 PM   
gunnergoz

That being the case, it is actually better referred to as a unit size description rather than a unit power description. It really says little about combat power. It is like saying "my car has a 400 HP engine and is very fast" ignoring (for example) that the car is up on blocks now so the HP delivered to the road is zero.

"Things are getting better!
...Well, maybe not as good as they were yesterday, but much better than they will be tomorrow!"
-Old Russian saying

(in reply to mekjak)
Post #: 6
RE: Can someone explain what the unit power number refl... - 11/30/2015 5:40:00 PM   
alex0809

- Wrong thread -

< Message edited by alex0809 -- 11/30/2015 6:40:33 PM >

(in reply to gunnergoz)
Post #: 7
RE: Can someone explain what the unit power number refl... - 11/30/2015 7:35:43 PM   
Templer_12

I'm also uncertain on this.
An unambiguous description by the designers would be helpfull.

(in reply to alex0809)
Post #: 8
RE: Can someone explain what the unit power number refl... - 11/30/2015 10:14:46 PM   
lancer

Hi,

The Power Rating is a consolidated combat value that adjust straight combat power by readiness, experience and morale.

It allows you to compare units on a roughly equivalent basis.

Before initiating combat it's sometimes a good idea to press '1' to show the power ratings and check what you're up against. Press '2' to return to normal.

You can see it displayed in the Unit Info Display (bottom) under the 'Unit Details' tab at the top of the 'Stats' section.

Cheers,
Cameron

(in reply to Templer_12)
Post #: 9
RE: Can someone explain what the unit power number refl... - 12/1/2015 5:46:39 AM   
mekjak

quote:

ORIGINAL: lancer

Hi,

The Power Rating is a consolidated combat value that adjust straight combat power by readiness, experience and morale.

It allows you to compare units on a roughly equivalent basis.

Before initiating combat it's sometimes a good idea to press '1' to show the power ratings and check what you're up against. Press '2' to return to normal.

You can see it displayed in the Unit Info Display (bottom) under the 'Unit Details' tab at the top of the 'Stats' section.

Cheers,
Cameron

It's a straight count of how many elements are in the unit, the same as it's always been in the Decisive Campaigns series. It does not take into account any other factors such as readiness or experience. I went into the game and calculated a bunch of the power ratings myself just to be sure.

(in reply to lancer)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa >> Can someone explain what the unit power number reflects? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI