Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Make a Repair station.?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Make a Repair station.? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Make a Repair station.? - 12/22/2015 12:47:24 AM   
Blabsawaw22

Hey guys,

I want to make a Starbase that can repair my damaged fleets.. What components absolutely need to be on the repair star base??

I know that sometimes they use the docking bays.. and sometimes they use the construction yards.. so which do I put more of??

also Do they need to have plants at all?? I'm not making ships, just repairing them...

thanks
Post #: 1
RE: Make a Repair station.? - 12/22/2015 3:21:55 AM   
tppytel

My understanding is that you need plants for the repairs, though I haven't tested it. One plant of each type will be enough for quite a few construction yards, almost certainly more than you need for a repair star base. I'm pretty sure all repairs use Construction Yards, but I haven't tested. Docking Bays are only for cargo transfer and refueling.

You might also consider putting the repair components on a Resupply Ship so that you're not locked into a single location. The repair AI/interface is a little funky, though. I've gotten Resupply Ships to successfully repair minor damage on ships' armor. But if the damage is severe enough for the AI to kick in and force it to a shipyard, you won't get the "Repair at..." option with a Resupply Ship. There may be a way to force it to happen anyway, but I haven't tried it myself.

(in reply to Blabsawaw22)
Post #: 2
RE: Make a Repair station.? - 12/22/2015 5:22:25 AM   
Aeson

quote:

I've gotten Resupply Ships to successfully repair minor damage on ships' armor. But if the damage is severe enough for the AI to kick in and force it to a shipyard, you won't get the "Repair at..." option with a Resupply Ship. There may be a way to force it to happen anyway, but I haven't tried it myself.

The way to 'force' it is to order the Resupply Ship to repair the damaged vessel rather than trying to order the damaged vessel to repair at the Resupply Ship. Same way you'd do it with a standard Construction Ship.

(in reply to tppytel)
Post #: 3
RE: Make a Repair station.? - 12/22/2015 9:12:42 AM   
tppytel

As it happens, I had a chance to try this out just now... this time, I got the "Repair at..." option just fine with the damaged ship selected. It works whether or not the Resupply Ship is deployed. But I think this didn't work for me in some earlier game? I don't remember for sure.

edit: And it worked even though the damage was severe enough for the "return to base" repair AI to kick in. However, it was only armor that was damaged. Perhaps if actual functional components are damaged, the AI/interface behaves differently?

< Message edited by tppytel -- 12/22/2015 10:14:31 AM >

(in reply to Aeson)
Post #: 4
RE: Make a Repair station.? - 12/22/2015 12:40:44 PM   
Bingeling

quote:

ORIGINAL: Blabsawaw22

Hey guys,

I want to make a Starbase that can repair my damaged fleets.. What components absolutely need to be on the repair star base??

I know that sometimes they use the docking bays.. and sometimes they use the construction yards.. so which do I put more of??

also Do they need to have plants at all?? I'm not making ships, just repairing them...

thanks

You should need:

1: Construction yards. This is where they repair ships, one ship at a time. More yards, more can be repaired at once.
2: Plants, one of each. They create components, components that has to be created to replace the broken ones.

3: Docking bays and cargo space. Repairs should require resources. I am not totally positive that it does, though.

4: Possibly, you may need a commerce center for freighters to deliver stuff.

When that is said, I would never, ever create a star base (not at colony) with a construction yard. For me it smells of "eternal resource shortage" and ships stuck in repair queue. Don't pay attention and see ships being ordered there by civilians or the AI in general.

Post #: 5
RE: Make a Repair station.? - 12/22/2015 2:06:25 PM   
HerpInYourDerp

I don't think repairs require resources. I've never seen conships make a pick-up at space ports prior to repairing a derelict ship when ordered for example.

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 6
RE: Make a Repair station.? - 12/22/2015 3:25:06 PM   
Bingeling

You may be right. It could be that construction ships cheat in that way, but for the patient it is easy enough to set up a repair situation with a spaceport that allows for any reservation made to be noticed.

The real danger is it being used for retrofits and new builds.

(in reply to HerpInYourDerp)
Post #: 7
RE: Make a Repair station.? - 12/22/2015 8:50:11 PM   
Blabsawaw22

Well I'll try it out and report...

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 8
RE: Make a Repair station.? - 12/22/2015 9:24:05 PM   
tppytel

Resupply Ships don't require resources for repairs either - mine definitely doesn't have anything in its cargo bays other than fuel, and there were no freighters transporting goods to the ship either. But as noted, it could be that bases operate differently than ships.

Post #: 9
RE: Make a Repair station.? - 12/26/2015 2:03:29 PM   
HerpInYourDerp

More likely that repairs simply do not require resources. I don't see it being any different for a ship or base, seeing as it's the conyard component that does the repairing.

(in reply to tppytel)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Make a Repair station.? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI