Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: AE PDF Manual Revision Part Two

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: AE PDF Manual Revision Part Two Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: AE PDF Manual Revision Part Two - 12/29/2015 5:25:41 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ranger5355

Will the manual be term searchable?

It already is - just use the search box in your PDF viewer.

The problem has been that the manual was written before the long history of the player forum, and many of the terms we use are not the same ones in the manual. Hopefully that is part of what Alfred is changing.

(in reply to LeeChard)
Post #: 31
RE: AE PDF Manual Revision Part Two - 12/30/2015 2:22:26 AM   
Alfred

quote:

ORIGINAL: Anachro

I would advise you to try to write it according to the structure and graphical style of the current manual....

Why

Alfred

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 32
RE: AE PDF Manual Revision Part Two - 12/30/2015 2:25:55 AM   
Alfred

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ranger5355

Will the manual be term searchable?

It already is - just use the search box in your PDF viewer.

The problem has been that the manual was written before the long history of the player forum, and many of the terms we use are not the same ones in the manual. Hopefully that is part of what Alfred is changing.

Correct.

That is the intention (see my recent update re comment on standardising term concepts) although not to base it on forum terminology. The glossary will include forum terminology. The manual itself more a case of consistency and precision, in some cases new terminology is being introduced where it captures the concept better.

Alfred

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 33
RE: AE PDF Manual Revision Part Two - 12/31/2015 3:48:15 PM   
Rommel76

Good afternoon Alfred, in this fórum is available the second part of your manual , I wonder if there is also a link to the first part.

Thank you for your effort.

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 34
RE: AE PDF Manual Revision Part Two - 1/2/2016 8:30:51 AM   
PaxMondo

Alfred accepted my recent offer to read his manual drafts as I am traveling overseas with all of the extensive travel that entails and a plethora of dead time. I've gotten through 2 of the 4 chapters that he has thus far sent to me. Great to this point, incorporating all the changes through the latest official patch and stuffed with hyper-links to specific forum discussions on the topics. Even though the first two chapters are a bit 'dry' in terms of content, there have been a number of crucial updates/changes/fixes since the manual was first printed. I think this will be a big help to all the newbies in getting started.

Pax

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 35
RE: AE PDF Manual Revision Part Two - 1/3/2016 10:36:41 PM   
CaptBeefheart

This is great. Thanks a lot, Alfred. You are a good part of what makes this the best forum in gaming. Also, kudos to those providing assistance such as PaxMondo.

Cheers,
CC

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 36
RE: AE PDF Manual Revision Part Two - 1/4/2016 6:29:00 AM   
Schlussel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Commander Cody

This is great. Thanks a lot, Alfred. You are a good part of what makes this the best forum in gaming. Also, kudos to those providing assistance such as PaxMondo.

Cheers,
CC

+1

You say we're surrounded?
Excellent!
That means we can attack in any direction.

(in reply to CaptBeefheart)
Post #: 37
RE: AE PDF Manual Revision Part Two - 1/4/2016 7:46:16 PM   
pws1225

And hats off to Pax as well for his proofing Alfred's drafts.

(in reply to Schlussel)
Post #: 38
RE: AE PDF Manual Revision Part Two - 1/5/2016 1:59:22 AM   
zuluhour

If I had a printing company, I would buy you all leather bound editions, except "the Capt'n", maybe the abridged version.

(in reply to pws1225)
Post #: 39
RE: AE PDF Manual Revision Part Two - 1/10/2016 6:00:06 AM   
Dante Fierro

Looking forward to the completion of this manual and am even willing to donate good money for it!

Perhaps the biggest drawback for me with AE has been numerous questions that go unanswered in the currently available manual (including all
the additions of the modifications to the game over the years)- requiring repetitive searching via the forums here and collating
information to find answers that you still aren't always sure are correct or not ...

And the simple black box of algorithms running the game making it difficult to realistically assess your tactical and strategic options...

(in reply to zuluhour)
Post #: 40
RE: AE PDF Manual Revision Part Two - 1/10/2016 7:08:54 AM   
Alfred

There is a core group of players whose posts are generally reliable.  You just have to realise there are reliable and unreliable posters and distinguish between the two.  the former is a much smaller group than the latter.

A quick word on the project seeing I'm in here anyway.

There was a setback.  When I started drafting chapter 5 I quickly realised the test bed I had used for screenshots in the earlier chapters was insufficient.  I've had to create a second test bed and play it to 7 Jan 1942 to get the "bespoke" screenshots.  I strongly suspect both test beds will need to be further advanced for later chapters.

Chapter 5 is progressing with use of both test beds.  Means I have to redo screenshots and accompanying text for the earlier chapters once chapter 5 is finished.

Alfred

(in reply to Dante Fierro)
Post #: 41
RE: AE PDF Manual Revision Part Two - 1/10/2016 6:16:20 PM   
floyd17

Appreciate all the work and time you are putting into the project. Makes me want to start the game again. Wife's medical problems have held me back. Will try and start a new game sometime this week. Also I appreciate the hints and helps that you have posted. Thanks

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 42
RE: AE PDF Manual Revision Part Two - 1/25/2016 7:41:01 PM   
Alfred

Further to the update given in post #41.

Chapter 5 is almost finished.  But it has grown and grown.  To give an idea, what is covered on page 73 of the printed manual has been expanded to 22 pages in my draft revision.  If this rate continues I doubt the devs/Matrix will consider it economical to produce a hard copy.  There is also the strong possibility that they may consider too much information is being provided.

I should get the draft of chapter 5 finished in 1-2 days.  Then a case of printing out hard copy of all 5 chapters to see how they link and revise accordingly.  Probably middle of next week before they are sent over to the devs for their feedback/approval.

The more I get into this revision, the more I am convinced that Tracker is totally unnecessary.  All the information/tools are already present within the game.  People are put off by the manual's layout from using the inhouse game tools.

Alfred

(in reply to floyd17)
Post #: 43
RE: AE PDF Manual Revision Part Two - 1/25/2016 10:37:51 PM   
mind_messing

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alfred

The more I get into this revision, the more I am convinced that Tracker is totally unnecessary.  All the information/tools are already present within the game.  People are put off by the manual's layout from using the inhouse game tools.

Alfred

Ergonomics.

What takes six clicks to do in-game can be done in tracker in three.

Over a game that can run over 1000 turns, that's a lot of time and effort.

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 44
RE: AE PDF Manual Revision Part Two - 1/25/2016 11:38:36 PM   
BillBrown

I'm not worried about a printed version, I use 2 monitors with windowed mode, and I can view the manual while doing a turn. However, that does not preclude me from purchasing the PDF and/or the printed manual version 2.

While I agree that Tracker is not necessary, I find it useful. Along with Combat Reporter and Intel Monkey. None of
these tools are required to play, I just find that they are useful to me.

< Message edited by BillBrown -- 1/26/2016 12:40:24 AM >

(in reply to mind_messing)
Post #: 45
RE: AE PDF Manual Revision Part Two - 1/26/2016 4:29:49 PM   
Alfred

Chapter 5 finished.  This is the current structure of it.

5.0 Information Screens

5.1 Intelligence Display Screen
5.1.1 Air Activity in the Previous Turn and in Aggregate
5.1.2 Victory Score, Political Points and Soviet participation status summary
5.1.3 Breakdown of current Victory Points Score
5.1.4 Menu Buttons on Intelligence Display Screen
5.1.4.1 Aircraft Losses Screen (Hotkey 1)
5.1.4.1.1 Destroyed Air Unit Screen
5.1.4.2 Group Reinforcement Schedule Screen (Hotkey 2)
5.1.4.3 Group Withdrawal Schedule Screen (Hotkey A)
5.1.4.4 Aircraft Replacement Pool Screen (Hotkey 3)
5.1.4.4.1 Allied Aircraft Replacement Pool
5.1.4.4.2 Japanese Aircraft Replacement Pool
5.1.4.5 List Top Pilots Screen (Hotkey 4)
5.1.4.6 Pilot Replacements Screen (Hotkey 5)
5.1.4.6.1 Pilot Reserve Pools
5.1.4.7 Ships Sunk Screen (Hotkey 6)
5.1.4.8 Ship Availability Screen (Hotkey 7)
5.1.4.8.1 Allied Ship Availability Screen
5.1.4.8.2 Japanese Ship Availability Screen
5.1.4.9 Ship Withdrawal Screen (Hotkey W) (Allied Player Only)
5.1.4.10 Ground Reinforcement Schedule Screen (Hotkey 8)
5.1.4.11 Ground Withdrawal Screen (Hotkey G)
5.1.4.12 Ground Units Destroyed Screen (Hotkey K)
5.1.4.13 Industry/Resource Availability Screen (Hotkey 9)
5.1.4.13.1 Allied Industry/Resource Availability Screen
5.1.4.13.2 Japanese Industry/Resource Availability Screen
5.1.4.14 Industry/Troops/Resources Pool Screen (Hotkey 0)
5.1.4.15 Aircraft/Engine Production Pool Screen (Hotkey E)

5.2 List all bases, units, task forces
5.2.1 List all Bases (Hotkey B)
5.2.2 List all Land Based Air Units (Hotkey A)
5.2.3 List all Naval Based Air Units (Hotkey N)
5.2.4 List all Ground Units (Hotkey G)
5.2.5 List all Active Ships (Hotkey S)
5.2.6 List all Task Forces (Hotkey T)

5.3 Industry Management (Hotkey D)

5.4 Database Screens
5.4.1 Aircraft and Ground Devices Database (Hotkey D)
5.4.1.1 Aircraft Database
5.4.1.1.1 Aircraft Model Data Screen
5.4.1.2 Aircraft Weapons Database
5.4.1.3 Anti-Aircraft Weapons Database
5.4.1.4 Artillery Database
5.4.1.5 Vehicles Database
5.4.1.6 Infantry Database
5.4.1.7 Electronics Database
5.4.2 Naval Database (Hotkey V)
5.4.2.1 Ship Classes Database
5.4.2.1.1 Ship Class Data Screen
5.4.2.2 Electronics Database
5.4.2.3 Anti-Aircraft Guns Database
5.4.2.4 Dual Purpose Guns Database
5.4.2.5 Naval Guns Database
5.4.2.6 ASW Weapons Database
5.4.2.7 Torpedoes Database
5.4.2.8 Mines Database

5.5 Sigint Reports Screen (Hotkey L)

5.6 Operational Report Screen (Hotkey O)

5.7 Auto-convoy System Screen (Hotkey H)

5.8 Combat Reports (Hotkey C)
5.8.1 Combat Reports - Naval Combat
5.8.2 Combat Reports - Air Combat
5.8.3 Combat Reports - Ground Combat

There is on average a screenshot per subsection.  Each filter set and data field is explained.  Want to know what "Endurance " means, look up the aircraft or ship class database as appropriate.  Want to know what that * next to aircraft altitude on a combat report means, look up s.5.8.2.  Want to know what durability on a ship does, look up the ship classes database to see durability for ship affects rearming costs, operational points, construction program for Japanese ships etc.

Current timetable is to revise the drafts of chapters 1-5 and send them to the devs no later than 9 Feb.  No point in proceeding beyond that point until one knows the devs approve the direction I am taking, agree that the additional information disclosed does not break their NDA, and they have the time to check nothing is actually incorrect.  One of the things which does take time is me searching the forum for accurate dev answers.

It is also important to discover Matrix's intended role in this project.  So far this is just a private endeavour of mine (with some input from a couple of forum regulars).  If Matrix want to make it official they will want to set certain parameters.  The answers to that will be sometime after 9 Feb.

Alfred

(in reply to BillBrown)
Post #: 46
RE: AE PDF Manual Revision Part Two - 1/26/2016 4:53:02 PM   
Trugrit

Bravo Zulu

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 47
RE: AE PDF Manual Revision Part Two - 1/26/2016 5:35:52 PM   
Alfred

Sneak preview of what one of the sub sections in chapter 5 looks like. subject to further revisions before it gets sent off to the devs.

5.4.2.1 Ship Class Database

Two ship databases provide in tabular format, summary performance and weapon details on all ship classes. Additional information is provided on each listed ship class by clicking on the yellow ship class name (see 5.4.2.1.1).

Clicking on the yellow column headers resorts the column. From left to right these columns provide the following summary information.

Type – ship type class (see s.xxx for the different ship types)

Ship – name of ship class. The ship class name incorporates the month/year of a scheduled upgrade. Hovering the curser over the ship class name generates a pop over which indicates the type of ship class it belongs to. Click on the yellow ship class name to access additional information on the ship class data screen (see s.5.4.2.1.1)

Speed – maximum speed in knots. This can be translated into hexes travelled per phase at the rate of (speed x 12 /40). See s.xxx for more detail

Cruise – cruise speed in knots. This can be translated into hexes travelled per phase at the rate of (speed x 12 /40). See s.xxx for more detail

Endure – ship endurance. This is the number of nautical miles at cruise speed ships of this class can travel with full bunkers. This can be translated into hexes at the rate (endurance/40). See s.xxx for more detail

Fuel – amount of fuel points held in the bunkers when they are full

Mvr – manoeuvre rating of the ship class. The higher the value the greater the ability to dodge enemy bombs and torpedoes

Durab – durability rating of the ship class. The durability rating is used in several areas:

• For all vessels it is an overall measure of the vessels seaworthiness
• For submarines it is also the maximum diving depth in feet, determined by (durability x 10)
• Victory Points awarded for a sunk vessel is partly determined on the durability rating
• It is factored into the Japanese ship building program

Belt – thickness in millimetres of the hull armor at and below the waterline

Deck – thickness in millimetres of the deck armor

Tower – thickness in millimetres of the conning tower armor

Capacity – for combat ship classes, represents the number of aircraft which can operate from the ship. For non combat ship classes, represents the aggregated troop, cargo and bulk liquid carrying capacity

Click on the bottom red Exit button to return to the Main Map Display.

Edit: first attempt didn't upload as I wanted. Now OK.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Alfred -- 1/26/2016 6:40:20 PM >

(in reply to Trugrit)
Post #: 48
RE: AE PDF Manual Revision Part Two - 1/26/2016 5:54:01 PM   
stretch

"• For submarines it is also the maximum diving depth in feet, determined by (durability x 10) "

I have already learned something. I really really want this to succeed.

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 49
RE: AE PDF Manual Revision Part Two - 1/26/2016 6:46:32 PM   
Anachro

Alfred, I have no idea how you keep all this information in the receptacle that is your mind. It's like the fabled bottomless bag, but a bag of knowledge.

(in reply to stretch)
Post #: 50
RE: AE PDF Manual Revision Part Two - 1/26/2016 7:30:00 PM   
Yaab

I hope the durability of the revised manual will be high. We need an in-depth manual. To war!

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 51
RE: AE PDF Manual Revision Part Two - 1/26/2016 7:53:56 PM   
witpqs

Ahem.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 52
RE: AE PDF Manual Revision Part Two - 1/26/2016 7:58:00 PM   
Yaab

Ahh, Alfred waiting for the Soviet activation.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 53
RE: AE PDF Manual Revision Part Two - 1/27/2016 5:33:53 AM   
Alfred

quote:

ORIGINAL: Anachro

Alfred, I have no idea how you keep all this information in the receptacle that is your mind. It's like the fabled bottomless bag, but a bag of knowledge.

All experienced players already know what I put in the sneak preview I posted.

Yes, because it is intended for a manual, and it is my praxis anyway, I double checked things and did not rely on memory. So in that sub-section I posted, I double checked by:

1. Clicking on the yellow headers to confirm these all resort. Not all do in all screens. One of those many graphic glitches which I don't bother pestering michaelm with.

2. Checked pages 91 and 105 of the manual for speed and endurance conversion to hexes.

3. Looked up the editor PDF manual to confirm armor is measured in millimetres. (and several other fields)

4. Clicked on the ship name to confirm it does bring up the ship data screen.

5. Looked up the wording used in page 86 of the current manual for describing armor.

6. On durability checked on page 236 for ship construction, plus chapter 17 for VPs etc

7. Added up the carrying capacities of several merchantmen to confirm it is the aggregated capacity displayed on that screen.

8. Did some forum searching to back up the above.

9. Hover the mouse to confirm this screen doesn't generate pop overs.

For other subsections I've had to check both the Allied and Japanese screens to note down any differences between them. Also look up the Interface Addendum. Do a lot of forum searching to validate my terminology and peeks under the hood. Modify as appropriate the existing manual. And so on. Really nothing which couldn't be done by others.

Alfred

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 54
RE: AE PDF Manual Revision Part Two - 2/6/2016 9:17:20 PM   
Alfred

Update.

Chapters 1 -5 were sent to jwilkerson 10 minutes ago.

I have no idea how long before there is feedback.  Three scenarios are possible.

1.  The devs/Matrixgames are not impressed with what I  have produced and I get a " don't call us, we'll call you " reply.  Obviously means the project dies.

2.  They like what I have produced.  I continue independently to draft the revised manual with ad hoc assistance as required. The Matrixgame professionals come in to polish the appearance of the finalised manuscript.

3.  They consider I should be added to a manual working team as a necessary condition to maintaining quality control.  Presumably this will "bureaucratise" the project and require a NDA.

Until I receive feedback, the project will be suspended at my end.

I can confirm that there is interest from the devs for a revised manual to be produced.  But it is one thing to like the idea and another to look at the details involved.

Alfred

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 55
RE: AE PDF Manual Revision Part Two - 2/8/2016 9:15:01 PM   
rustysi

This is a huge undertaking. No matter what happens Alfred know that your efforts are greatly appreciated.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 56
RE: AE PDF Manual Revision Part Two - 2/9/2016 6:59:39 AM   
Lawless1

Alfred,

As a newbie I want to thank you for you dedication to the game, and the knowledge you freely share.

I am aware of your work on this projects, and was surprise and grateful that you took the time to respond to my first post.

For the folks at Matrix if they read this, I for one would pay good money for a new in depth manual in a larger print.

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 57
RE: AE PDF Manual Revision Part Two - 2/9/2016 7:38:57 AM   
Alfred

Quick update.

Preliminary feedback from the devs is positive.  Don't know position of Matrixgames though.

The AE Team Leader is going to round up a posse (my words, not his) to check on my output.  This could take some effort as the original team of devs has very much gone their separate ways for various reasons, leaving only wdolson closely involved still with AE and to a much lesser extent michaelm too.  I'm not certain too many of the former AE devs will be overjoyed at the prospect of being lassoed away from their current activities.  Considering how so many of them were treated by the forum it will be quite a generous act of their's to donate any time to checking my output.

As to the current project status.  I have begun work on chapter 6.  My preliminary view is to move several of the tables in the current chapter 6 out to the appendices section.  Prime candidates for the move, but not the only ones, are the tables on pages 114-117 and 118-122.  There is also some internal chapter reorganisation I am considering.

Formatting is going to be a very big issue.  Apparently a considerable amount of effort in writing the original manual 6 years ago was spent in complying with Matrixgames formatting requirements.  What the current requirements are for this revision project remains unknown.

I don't anticipate providing any more updates in the near future as it will probably be some time before anything significant/for public consumption occurs.  Don't however presume that silence means no work is being done on the project.  From this point on assume the work will be largely "under the hood".

In summary,
  • the devs do want to have a revised manual produced
  • the work done to date is good enough to build upon
  • no official timeline currently exists for completion

Alfred 

(in reply to Lawless1)
Post #: 58
RE: AE PDF Manual Revision Part Two - 2/9/2016 12:30:28 PM   
Leandros

Looks promising.........seems a congratulation is called for....

Fred

River Wide, Ocean Deep - a book on Operation Sea Lion - www.fredleander.com
Saving MacArthur - a book series on how The Philippines were saved - in 1942! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D34QCWQ/?ie=UTF8&redirect=true&ref=series_rw_dp_labf

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 59
RE: AE PDF Manual Revision Part Two - 2/9/2016 12:38:49 PM   
Yaab

Alfred's Edition.

< Message edited by Yaab -- 2/9/2016 2:01:41 PM >

(in reply to Leandros)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: AE PDF Manual Revision Part Two Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI