Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: TOAW IV

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> RE: TOAW IV Page: <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: TOAW IV - 1/23/2017 6:48:10 AM   
juntoalmar

Hi,

Is there any aprox ETA available for this game?

Cheers,

(my humble blog about wargames, in spanish) http://cabezadepuente.blogspot.com.es/

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 301
RE: TOAW IV - 1/25/2017 10:51:29 AM   
TOAWxIVxMaster

Hi Juntoalmar,

about 2019/2020.

Best

(in reply to juntoalmar)
Post #: 302
RE: TOAW IV - 1/26/2017 5:48:29 AM   
FF_1079

Priority Code Red call for Larry Fulkerson!

Larry might be able to share how play testing has been going and where they are with the graphical update.

Fondly remembers SSI's "Clash of Steel"

(in reply to TOAWxIVxMaster)
Post #: 303
RE: TOAW IV - 1/26/2017 6:00:41 AM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

Priority Code Red call for Larry Fulkerson!

Larry might be able to share how play testing has been going and where they are with the graphical update.

<sound of music: mighty mouse> Here I come to save the dayyyyyyy.</sound of music: mighty mouse>
I've been writing entirely too much HTML lately.

So you want to know about how the testing is going and how far along the graphical updates are. Well, General Patton
( Brian ) took me under his wing and has been a steady PBEM opponent for close to 8 months now I guess, and he and
I have been going through several scenario's and right now we're playing The Third Reich and I'm the Axis and
Brian is the Allies and we just got started so we're only on T3 so far but it's exciting. The Axis forces have already
reached their zenith and now are on the defensive and the Soviets are doing a lot of pushing and shoving and I'm
considering sending part of my strategic reserve to the east front to beef it up. I'm mostly waiting for a breakthrough
to know where to send it.

The graphical updates: Um......Bob has taken up some of the coding duties and he's making changes to the dialogs and
info panels and adding checkboxes that do things and buttons that do other things. It's going to be a new game for you
guys. I've been using the newest version for about a week now and I love it. Each version coming out of the shop is
better than the last one. It's like christmas when we get a new version around here. Bob is worth his weight in gold.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

If we're all created in the image of god then why aren't we all invisible?

(in reply to FF_1079)
Post #: 304
RE: TOAW IV - 1/26/2017 8:32:48 PM   
Lobster

I'd rather have Bob's weight in gold.

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 305
RE: TOAW IV - 1/26/2017 8:40:32 PM   
Catch21

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lobster
I'd rather have Bob's weight in gold.
Is it available for immediate delivery?

Tactics are based on Weapons... Strategy on Movement... and Movement on Supply.
(J. F. C. Fuller 1878-1966)

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 306
RE: TOAW IV - 1/27/2017 4:56:06 AM   
FF_1079

Aside from Bob's weight in Gold - thank you for the update Larry!

(in reply to Catch21)
Post #: 307
RE: TOAW IV - 1/27/2017 2:24:15 PM   
Curtis Lemay

182 lbs x 16 oz/lb x $1186/oz = $3,453,632.

Sorry, but no, my net worth does not quite make it there. Maybe about 70% my weight in gold.

My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
Post #: 308
RE: TOAW IV - 1/27/2017 2:41:42 PM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

182 lbs

Hey, you've lost some weight. Good for you. Are you on that SEE Food diet?

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 309
RE: TOAW IV - 1/27/2017 3:21:50 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson

quote:

182 lbs

About half of that is brains, you understand.

My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

Post #: 310
RE: TOAW IV - 1/28/2017 2:56:11 AM   
Lobster

quote:

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay

quote:

quote:

182 lbs

About half of that is brains, you understand.

Attachment (1)

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 311
RE: TOAW IV - 2/17/2017 10:31:46 PM   
FF_1079

So - how are the latest builds looking Team TOAW IV?

Also, how is Naval combat update looking - is it a WEGO resolution after you plot out your patrol/strike paths?

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 312
RE: TOAW IV - 3/8/2017 1:08:44 AM   
FF_1079

BUMP!

Would love to know the answers from the previous post.

(in reply to FF_1079)
Post #: 313
RE: TOAW IV - 3/8/2017 1:17:38 AM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: FF_1079
So - how are the latest builds looking Team TOAW IV?

We've established a scenario depository on the FTP beta server wherein the beta testers can upload their new scenarios
and those they have modded. There's at least two dozen new ones uploaded but that count number is old. Brian and I
have started reviewing the various scenarios to find those that are broken by the changes. Those that have balancing
problems or events that don't work anymore for whatever reason, that kind of thing. It's kinda fun to let Elmer move the
units and zoom out and watch the little blue and red dots fight over the map. You'd be amazed at what I've learned from
watching Elmer move units. Almost nothing.

quote:

Also, how is Naval combat update looking - is it a WEGO resolution after you plot out your patrol/strike paths?

Sorry dude, it's still a IGO - UGO kind of game where the naval combat needs house rules to make it realistic. There's
various workarounds that can be employed. Most of the, well, not most but a lot, of the Naval Combat Rules changes
involving carriers in association with non-carriers can be tricky. Who moves first matters. I'm loving this game more
all the time.

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 3/8/2017 1:18:46 AM >

(in reply to FF_1079)
Post #: 314
RE: TOAW IV - 3/12/2017 3:03:40 AM   
FF_1079

I just want to say how happy I am that the play testers and two man team working on version 4 are not giving up, but cheerfully pushing forward towards releasing TOAW IV.

I had stopped playing wargames for quite a while do to raising 3 sons, and I could never find the quiet and uninterrupted time I needed to enjoy playing games such as TOAW or any of it's contemporaries. With my youngest now 15, I find a lot more time to get back to the hobbies of my youth, and by default - Matrix/Slitherine are the best publishers of those titles. I enjoyed Strategic Command 3 so much, it is the best attempt at rebuilding Clash of Steel I have seen ( no disrespect to SC1 or SC2 - but SQUARES ... REALLY? ). I bought three separate versions of this game, my wife actually destroyed two of them due to the amount of time I played ACOW! I bought TOAW III and was happy it was a digital download . I haven't even bothered to search out the old SN# for it because I figured I would just buy TOAWIV. While I am impatient like many other aficionados, I understand the respect that the people working on the development have for this game.

Good luck gentlemen, make it right, build it to last.

Post #: 315
RE: TOAW IV - 3/12/2017 3:17:40 AM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

I just want to say how happy I am that the play testers and two man team working on version 4 are not giving up, but cheerfully pushing forward towards releasing TOAW IV.

I had stopped playing wargames for quite a while do to raising 3 sons, and I could never find the quiet and uninterrupted time I needed to enjoy playing games such as TOAW or any of it's contemporaries. With my youngest now 15, I find a lot more time to get back to the hobbies of my youth, and by default - Matrix/Slitherine are the best publishers of those titles. I enjoyed Strategic Command 3 so much, it is the best attempt at rebuilding Clash of Steel I have seen ( no disrespect to SC1 or SC2 - but SQUARES ... REALLY? ). I bought three separate versions of this game, my wife actually destroyed two of them due to the amount of time I played ACOW! I bought TOAW III and was happy it was a digital download . I haven't even bothered to search out the old SN# for it because I figured I would just buy TOAWIV. While I am impatient like many other aficionados, I understand the respect that the people working on the development have for this game.

Good luck gentlemen, make it right, build it to last.

I think I can speak for all the beta team when I say that it's really a labor of love. Right now we're reviewing the new scenarios to be
released so that they can be as fine as we can make them. Lots of 'em. I've just discovered Soviet Union by Bob Cross and
I'm on T6 and cranking out the turns. I like it a lot. I think there's a new version in the works. Or already produced but not
released, maybe neither, I'm not sure. And don't quote me. There's been a lot of traffic on the development board here lately. Lots
of activity. It's enough to inspire a person.

(in reply to FF_1079)
Post #: 316
RE: TOAW IV - 3/14/2017 7:13:02 PM   
ncc1701e

quote:

There's been a lot of traffic on the development board here lately. Lots of activity. It's enough to inspire a person.

Great Larry, how about this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbZSe6N_BXs

Post #: 317
RE: TOAW IV - 3/31/2017 9:34:10 PM   
FF_1079

So stalwart testers and developers of TOAW IV, are we edging towards a possible summer release, or perhaps an open beta for the summer?

(in reply to ncc1701e)
Post #: 318
RE: TOAW IV - 4/4/2017 11:12:15 PM   
BigDuke66

Don't ask for the season of year, ask for the year.

(in reply to FF_1079)
Post #: 319
RE: TOAW IV - 4/5/2017 3:15:23 AM   
Jo van der Pluym

quote:

ORIGINAL: BigDuke66

Don't ask for the season of year, ask for the year.

Year? A mistype perhaps. I think that you mean Century.

Greetings from the Netherlands

Jo van der Pluym
CrazyDutch

(in reply to BigDuke66)
Post #: 320
RE: TOAW IV - 4/5/2017 5:50:40 AM   
sPzAbt653

quote:

I think that you mean Century.

C'mon now, be fair ... Decade.

(in reply to Jo van der Pluym)
Post #: 321
RE: TOAW IV - 4/5/2017 11:18:05 AM   
Jo van der Pluym

quote:

ORIGINAL: sPzAbt653

quote:

I think that you mean Century.

C'mon now, be fair ... Decade.

Which Decade?

Greetings from the Netherlands

Jo van der Pluym
CrazyDutch

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 322
RE: TOAW IV - 4/5/2017 2:15:44 PM   
sPzAbt653

Correct, which decade ?

(in reply to Jo van der Pluym)
Post #: 323
RE: TOAW IV - 4/5/2017 3:56:08 PM   
pz501

Or, which millennium?

Seriously, I really wish someone from Matrix would just give us an update every now and then about the state of affairs. It doesn't need to be very detailed, just something to let everyone know that the thing is still alive and making progress.

Given how 'open' the information flow has been in the past (how many years has it been now?) I doubt even that will happen.

We do get some info from Larry Fulkerson concerning playtests of different scenarios now and then, and while Larry's a really good guy, it's not the same as Matrix or even the designer saying something...I know, it's all due to the NDA. Given past performance I seriously doubt Matrix will even read this.

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 324
RE: TOAW IV - 4/6/2017 6:15:39 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

Gotta love it, 11 pages of the same question, yet still unanswered.

(in reply to pz501)
Post #: 325
RE: TOAW IV - 4/6/2017 9:20:10 PM   
ncc1701e

Perhaps because the answer is not known from anybody even the developers. Even if I am doing some little programming, I am sure I won't be able to do a game such as TOAW I. I don't even speak of TOAW IV. This needs time and, if for us this is long, I am sure devs are busy.

(in reply to HardLuckYetAgain)
Post #: 326
RE: TOAW IV - 4/6/2017 9:44:08 PM   
larryfulkerson

An Answer Finally
[Sort of]
Hey you guys: I've been playtesting Bob Cross's new scenario Pearl Harbor 1941 and I've rated it ready for
prime time. I think you'll like it. It's got individual ships for units for the Americans and individual squadrons for
the Japs ( plus individual ships ) and it's two fun-packed turns long. But you need all 10 rounds of each turn to
produce points or you won't win. Actually it's more of a solo-game type scenario in that the American player has
nothing to do except maybe flip the AAA units to three-dot settings. The attacking planes carry different weapons
for the target ships: torpedo, naval shells adopted for dropping, and so on. The Jap fighters don't have much to
do because the American planes don't fly during the whole thing ( not in a significant way at least ). I played it just
now and got a draw so I need more practice yet. Bob Cross designed this jewel to give the new Naval rules a
platform. There's a lot to learn about the anti-ship capabilities of the planes and the weapons they can carry.
In the scenario there's a difference between the "inner-row" of ships and the "outter-row" of ships. Torpedos don't
work on the "inner-row" because of the obstructions in it's terminal path. Regular bombs have a hard time
penetrating a BB's armour. Fighters are useless against the ships unless they go for the small harbor ships for
targets.

The scenario has an EQP file and an NQP file so that each ship is tailored to it's real life characteristics in terms of
maneuvorability, armour thickness, etc. so that the weapons effects are realistic to what really happened in real life.
I'm having a blast with it. This scenario is a keeper. It's planned to ship it with the next release. Don't ask me when
that will happen.....nobody I know has a clue. But I would remind you that summer is approaching. I'm just saying........

(in reply to ncc1701e)
Post #: 327
RE: TOAW IV - 4/7/2017 1:59:18 AM   
rhinobones

Ge’ez Larry. I know you love the game and have given your all to the community, but your last post is comes across as another rah rah post about how much fun you’re having play testing TOAW IV. I don’t want to shut you down or be overly critical, but you’re killing us Larry. We’ve meet, talked, shared dinner and talked about the war so we’re a bit like brothers and the last thing I want to do is dish you over your dedication to TOAW.

The point is, Matrix should be providing answers to the people’s questions. The community is frustrated by the policy Matrix has followed to cut the community off from any meaningful communication. We all love your stuff, but deep down inside we’re just pissed Matrix isn’t providing the same level of communication.

Semper Fi, Tucson Gunner Dude

RhinoBones

Colin Wright:
Comprehensive Wishlist Forum #467 . . . The Norm (blessed be His name, genuflect three times and accept all values in the program as revealed truth)

Pre Combat Air Strikes # 64 . . . I need have no concern about keeping it civil

Post #: 328
RE: TOAW IV - 4/7/2017 2:22:30 AM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: rhinobones

Ge’ez Larry. I know you love the game and have given your all to the community, but your last post is comes across as another rah rah post about how much fun you’re having play testing TOAW IV. I don’t want to shut you down or be overly critical, but you’re killing us Larry. We’ve meet, talked, shared dinner and talked about the war so we’re a bit like brothers and the last thing I want
to do is dish you over your dedication to TOAW.

The point is, Matrix should be providing answers to the people’s questions. The community is frustrated by the policy Matrix has followed to cut the community off from any meaningful communication. We all love your stuff, but deep down inside we’re just pissed Matrix isn’t providing the same level of communication.

Semper Fi, Tucson Gunner Dude
RhinoBones

I completely understand. And I feel your pain, kind of, and my post was what little I can do. And I felt like I ought to be doing
something. Maybe it's not Matrix that's at fault, maybe it's Slitherine, or who knows who else is involved. We need a way to get
management's attention. A couple of us beta testers tried and we got THE THREAT. So that's how that went. Not much else
*I* can do. Quit the team maybe. I'm not sure that would help anything though.

We've shared a bottle of wine a long time ago now and I still remember it. How I didn't know where I was going even though I live
here ( Tucson ). And we kept running into those dirt roads, those private dirt roads that lead who knows where. And finally,
somehow you found your way without any help from me and it worked itself out. I've learned about GPS since then.

Maybe we need to use the "contact us" link to get somebody to say something approaching news about TOAW in general
and / or TOAW IV in particular. Make some noise you guys. Get mad. Do something.

EDIT: The boss man over the beta testers is Tamas and he might entertain your emails. You can find him here:

tamask(at)slitherine(dot)co(dot)uk

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 4/7/2017 2:25:21 AM >

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 329
Page:   <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> RE: TOAW IV Page: <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI