Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: RHS Update 3.10 General Cleanup

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> RE: RHS Update 3.10 General Cleanup Page: <<   < prev  15 16 [17] 18 19   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: RHS Update 3.10 General Cleanup - 5/4/2018 5:02:47 AM   
el cid again

RHS Comprehensive Update 3.10

https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ap7XOIkiBuUwhPxFuII1ZkrVQefJBQ

This cleanup completes the late war pwhexe.dat files for Japan Enhanced Scenarios.

It includes a general review of Japanese air groups. In particular, even numbered
scenarios ("Simplified RHS") should not have training air units in them. All did.
A rebuild of lost files was not completed. So for the first time in a long time,
simplified does not have these units (for Japan) which should not be requiring
player management. [Simplified addresses training in a different, simplified way.]

There is a tiny bit of new map art to clarify certain points. There is one new
aircraft type - the H5Y2 - which is more or less a two engine companion for the Emily
using the same engines as the H8K1. This never was authorized for production, so it is
only in Japan Enhanced Scenarios 125 and 129.

The logic of JES scenarios - first proposed by Joe Wilkerson - is play balance. Mifune
literally spent years developing Scenario 129, inspired by the art for the AltWars project.
Essentially, it rationalizes the art assuming more standard ship design planning since 1931.
It also gives the "carrier mafia" control over IJN planning, so the Yamato class carriers
appear as repeat Shokaku class instead. Similar things happen to other ships - this is a
very carrier oriented scenario. Scenario 125 is closer to history - only permitting changes
made after the decision to mobilize in July, 1941. Both strive to give Japan a "better shot"
at an automatic victory. Both involve considerable Allied reaction to the modified Japanese
buildup, so they permit Allied ships not historically built to be funded. Both sides also
get alternate seasonal construction, featuring different plans than were implemented. For
example, in Australia, highways crossing the Continent are not built, but secondary railways
which were surveyed after 1939 are build instead. This is slightly faster, but results in
probably a lower logistical capability. In JES the Russians complete the BAM (Baikal Amur
Railway - most of the foundations of which were built in WW2 - and the Trans-Canada Alaska
Railroad to Nome is built (linking four existing railways). The extremely expensive CANOL
project is not built in the deep interior of Canada.

(in reply to el cid again)
Post #: 481
RE: RHS Update 3.02 (All Historical Files) - 5/4/2018 5:04:49 AM   
el cid again

Thanks

I will look at this and, probably, fold it into 3.11.

quote:

ORIGINAL: m10bob

Very minor OOB error..The U.S. P47D2 is listed with entry date of 1944...It should be 5/43...

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 482
RE: RHS Update 3.02 (All Historical Files) - 5/4/2018 3:32:33 PM   
el cid again

Data is confusing. There are many P-47 versions. I did shortchange the early ones and
will add a new category - P-57 B/C - which includes early P-47Ds (before the bubble canopy).
They are very similar - but in my view actually superior because of more range (less weight
on the same power). They are also more maneuverable than the later P-47D series. The
P-47B was not used in combat until well into the P-47C series run, and I think this is the
type entering service in 5/43. But most sources do not break things down for all sub-series
and they do contradict. The RHS standard reference - defined by Joe Wilkerson - is just
about the best on this - defining B and D pretty well. I had to go to British sources to
clear up some issues.

I will add this new type late today or tomorrow - with other cleanup.

How can I update air units to reflect data changes? D2 did change its loadout - but it isn't in
the units. I forget the procedure after years of non-use.

quote:

Very minor OOB error..The U.S. P47D2 is listed with entry date of 1944...It should be 5/43...

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 483
RE: RHS Update 3.11 Micro update (aircraft) - 5/4/2018 3:58:47 PM   
el cid again

RHS Comprehensive Update 3.15

This cleanup adds the early P-47 for the USA. It updates some
Japanese air groups and some aircraft data. That data is applied
to all air units needing it.

< Message edited by el cid again -- 5/13/2018 10:00:52 PM >

Post #: 484
RE: RHS Update 3.02 (All Historical Files) - 5/5/2018 5:27:06 PM   
m10bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: el cid again

Data is confusing. There are many P-47 versions. I did shortchange the early ones and
will add a new category - P-57 B/C - which includes early P-47Ds (before the bubble canopy).
They are very similar - but in my view actually superior because of more range (less weight
on the same power). They are also more maneuverable than the later P-47D series. The
P-47B was not used in combat until well into the P-47C series run, and I think this is the
type entering service in 5/43. But most sources do not break things down for all sub-series
and they do contradict. The RHS standard reference - defined by Joe Wilkerson - is just
about the best on this - defining B and D pretty well. I had to go to British sources to
clear up some issues.

I will add this new type late today or tomorrow - with other cleanup.

How can I update air units to reflect data changes? D2 did change its loadout - but it isn't in
the units. I forget the procedure after years of non-use.

quote:

Sid...You and I and Cobra worked on the aircraft years ago in CHS and early RHS..
For some reason those early P 47's were one of my favorite projects.

While the first were technically "C" models, they were eventually renamed "D2's to reflect changes made IN FIELD before going into combat..
They had a true fuel consumption problem, but this was cured by Ford of Australia who replicated P 38 tanks and mounted them permanently beneath the wings of the P-47..
Did not give them much greater range but it helped.
Those early models did not carry bombs in that theater, but later versions did.

There is an old tale that when the first P-47's landed in Australia...a local ground crewman saw one for the first time, noted it's huge size...and when the pilot climbed out, he asked when the rest of the crew was getting out?

http://www.airvectors.net/avp47.html

Here is one of the great sites where I first learned of the first Aussie bound P 47's getting the modified P 38 drop tanks.

https://www.ozatwar.com/usaaf/348thfg.htm

If you do not remember how to modify individual models of aircraft...I use the editor, find an earlier model of the same plane and copy/paste it to a blank slot..Then, I modify the pertinent areas..Please contact me if you need details...Bob

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by m10bob -- 5/6/2018 2:05:10 PM >

Post #: 485
RE: RHS Update 3.12 Micro update (air groups) - 5/9/2018 5:45:16 AM   
el cid again

RHS Comprehensive Update 3.12

This update is entirely restricted to scenario files and to
RHS documentation files. [New tools include IJA and IJN
spreadsheets permitting cross referencing the name of an
aircraft in alphanumeric order with its slot in the aircraft
files. At the same time, the number of planes which start
each scenario has begun to be indicated in them. This includes
calculating the number in 1945 just before Iwo Jima for scenario
126.]

A number of technical things are worked in: air unit size is
correctly defined; aircraft are associated with air units of the
proper date, and the replacement aircraft are in fact aircraft
of a suitable later date in time. Technical eratta were identified
and corrected. Rarely dates of availability or payload was fixed.

Post #: 486
RE: RHS Update 3.02 (All Historical Files) - 5/9/2018 5:52:25 AM   
el cid again

I figured it out within minutes and posted 3.11 immediately after that. Its all coming
back to me now.

It appears that both B and C models eventually were sent into combat. These were modified
to early D standards. The real dividing line IMHO is when they changed the narrow canopy
for the bubble canopy. Other differences are that earlier planes had less power and less
normal bomb-load. By splitting the early aircraft into two models we get there. My only
regret is I don't have a bubble canopy art for the later models. But the performance is
right.

The P-47 is amazing to fly in a simulator. It is pretty rugged and it really dishes it out.
You have firepower, durability, speed and climb - just not the most nimble of mounts.

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 487
RE: RHS Update 3.02 (All Historical Files) - 5/9/2018 3:10:39 PM   
m10bob

quote:

I figured it out within minutes and posted 3.11 immediately after that. Its all coming
back to me now.

It appears that both B and C models eventually were sent into combat. These were modified
to early D standards. The real dividing line IMHO is when they changed the narrow canopy
for the bubble canopy. Other differences are that earlier planes had less power and less
normal bomb-load. By splitting the early aircraft into two models we get there. My only
regret is I don't have a bubble canopy art for the later models. But the performance is
right.

The P-47 is amazing to fly in a simulator. It is pretty rugged and it really dishes it out.
You have firepower, durability, speed and climb - just not the most nimble of mounts.

In high school I read Robert S Johnson's exploits with his early P 47 (marking HV-P), and the earliest P 47's were hampered by a 3 bladed prop. The thing could not climb at all...but (IIRC) this changed when they went to the 4 bladed prop and he claimed to have out-climbed a Spitfire with it.

Johnson was a good writer, detailed personal flights indicated and his book was called THUNDERBOLT.
He served with "Hub" Zemke's 56th F.G. in England.

A tough plane?...He describes one flight in which his plane was shot to pieces and a Focke Wulf pilot emptied his entire ammo load into the plane and could not bring Johnson's plane down.
He was able to nurse it back to England.

Pic is John Wayne with P 47 ace Neel Kearby in New Guinea during the war.
Kearby was awarded the Medal of Honor with 22 kills in "the jug".

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by m10bob -- 5/9/2018 3:21:49 PM >

Post #: 488
RE: RHS Update 3.13 Micro update (straits, industry, er... - 5/10/2018 7:52:12 AM   
el cid again

RHS Comprehensive Update 3.15

This update only involves location, aircraft, air group, and pwhexe.dat files.

It better models straits where there also are organized means for troops to cross.
The only important case is the Tsugaru Strait - between Hokkaido and Honshu. It is
now navigable to deep water ships, as it should be. Only the early war files were
corrected - future updates will include later pwhexe.dat files adjusted to the new
standard.

Some land units changed their start location, or their names.

Some aircraft factories and engine factories were adjusted. Some inventories of
aircraft at start, or replacement production values were adjusted. [For an aircraft
built in numbers, generally 1% of production becomes available as "repairs" during
the active period of aircraft production. These are called "replacements" but represent
field repair depots. In a very few instances, major Allied repair depots appear as
aircraft factories with tiny production rates - usually 1 or so - at important locations -
for example at Bangalore and at Karachi.] As aircraft types get reviewed, often 1945
start of game inventories are calculated and added to scenario 126 (which is a long term
project not suitable for play except as a test bed). Numbers of factories in 126 were
updated for types and quantities in the February 1945 game (it starts at the beginning
of the Iwo Jima campaign - a few days before when we have good position data on units).

Some aircraft production dates were modified to facilitate more automatic production.

< Message edited by el cid again -- 5/13/2018 10:00:20 PM >

Post #: 489
RE: RHS Update 3.02 (All Historical Files) - 5/10/2018 7:57:13 AM   
el cid again

I actually prefer the earlier model - because it has more range and is slightly less maneuverable.
It is so tough it does not need the extra durability, and so effective it does not benefit much
from a bigger bomb, and the firepower remains the same. I prefer range and a bit more maneuverability
to payload and added ruggedness (which in RHS is a function of weight - Joe specified we would make
a major factor the empty weight of the aircraft - so as it gains in weight it gains in durability;
other factors in durability are number of engines, number of pilots, armor, and type of construction -
non-metal, composite with fabric covered surfaces, all-metal, geodesic).

quote:

quote:

back to me now.

right.

In high school I read Robert S Johnson's exploits with his early P 47 (marking HV-P), and the earliest P 47's were hampered by a 3 bladed prop. The thing could not climb at all...but (IIRC) this changed when they went to the 4 bladed prop and he claimed to have out-climbed a Spitfire with it.

Johnson was a good writer, detailed personal flights indicated and his book was called THUNDERBOLT.
He served with "Hub" Zemke's 56th F.G. in England.

A tough plane?...He describes one flight in which his plane was shot to pieces and a Focke Wulf pilot emptied his entire ammo load into the plane and could not bring Johnson's plane down.
He was able to nurse it back to England.

Pic is John Wayne with P 47 ace Neel Kearby in New Guinea during the war.
Kearby was awarded the Medal of Honor with 22 kills in "the jug".

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 490
RE: RHS Microupdate 3.14 (eratta) - 5/11/2018 11:51:37 PM   
el cid again

RHS Update 3.15

This update mainly concerns pwhexe.dat and scenario files
(aircraft, group and location).

The pwhexe.dat files are being updated to be consistent
in treatment of straits. Early war files are all done - but
more will be added daily until all 25 files are completed
for the 13 seasons of the war. [Winter 1941 has only one file,
all other seasons have two: a strictly historical one (for
121, 122, 123, 124 & someday 126) and
a "Japan Enhanced Scenario" one (for 125 and 129).

The aircraft files are updated mainly with respect to dates of
start and end of production, pointers to the the next type,
and eratta. There are similar changes to engines in the device
files.

The location files are updated mainly with respect to engine and
aircraft production, to make them work better in technical senses,
or to correct eratta.

The process of planning a demonstration/test game will continue and
will result in still more corrections. As well, mid and late war
pwhexe.dat files will be made consistent with respect to straits.

< Message edited by el cid again -- 5/13/2018 9:59:59 PM >

Post #: 491
RE: RHS Microupdate 3.15 (eratta) - 5/13/2018 8:47:16 PM   
el cid again

RHS Update 3.15

Working on setting up a demonstration tag team game
has forced microscopic examination of the game from
a player point of view. This reveals issues in the
data of various kinds.

This is a comprehensive update.

It includes two map art panels because of a trail
on the edge of panel boundaries which was missing
(in Australia). It includes more pwhexe.dat files
corrected with respect to straits - we are now into
1943. It includes updated documentation files. And
there is considerable work on scenario files: aircraft,
class, device, group, location and ship.

For the first time I played with the Ka-1 Autogyro.
This is a peculiar aircraft, the only rotary wing one in the
game, and the worlds first operational rotary wing military
aircraft. Since AE does not deal with observation planes
except insofar as they have other functions, we only use it
in its secondary role as a submarine hunter. I realized that
Francillon (Japanese Aircraft of the Pacific War) tells us
where these aircraft are used - at the Tsushima Strait - at
the Tsugaru Strait - and on the late war IJA air group of
Akitsu Maru. That permitted putting them into appropriate
units.

That work led to evaluation of the IJN run IJA amphibious ships,
which we call LSDs but which are actually not - there is no well
deck. To render these ships able to perform all their missions,
we permit conversion to AKV form. In Scenario 129, which because
of longer term war planning and not being bounded quite so much
by historical choices, we have two of these built before Pearl
Harbor. Both are assigned to Task Force 91 - the Singora Invasion.
But one is presented as an LSD and the other as an AKV. The
Japanese Army idea that it cold land aircraft fit for operations
is demonstrated in that scenario by the assignment of air units
to the AKV. Scenario 125 only has one ship - the LSD form. In that
form, it is optimized for landing troops, and has a reduced aircraft
capacity (the AKV has the landing craft deck devoted to aircraft).
So in 125 fewer aircraft are embarked and these are disassembled -
they are "damaged" when unloaded.

Working on those ships and air groups revealed other eratta. In 125
and 129, the Army "carriers" converted from fast tankers appear in
their original form, and so their air groups were deleted. [Fast
tankers appear sooner in time, not needing the time to rebuild as
carriers] Generally, those scenarios leave carriers to the Navy,
except for the Akitsu Maru and her sister Nigitsu Maru. But those
get the planned fighter squadron (a variation of the Ki-44) and
a rather better ASW squadron than was possible earlier with the rather
poor IJA aircraft (including the Ka-1 autogyro - which has only
two depth charges and almost no range). Not that these are very
good aircraft in ASW terms. The specialized IJA ships (which actually
had IJN crews) are an unusual case of effective cooperation. They
also represent early experiments in amphibious operations more or less
anticipating modern LHA type ship operations. [The landing craft
were stored loaded, mounted on wide railroad trucks running in rails on the
through deck. This was sloped at the stern, so they could roll off
the rear ramp, two at a time. Stored on four rows, they merged into
two at the stern. As well, a crane could lift the craft out of the bow,
fully laden, putting them in the water on either side. That is the "LSD"
form of the vessels. If they devote the through deck to aircraft, the
large landing craft are not carried in numbers, rendering the ships more
like logistic support vessels - but the aircraft can be carried with
the wings attached. Hence the AKV form.

In addition, some work was done on production. And some aircraft
were redefined in terms of availability dates and upgrade paths.
Scenario 126 (which is set in 1945) was finally purged of all types
too old - or whose development was abandoned by wartime decisions.
While this scenario is the most likely to permit late war aircraft
to be used, it has significantly fewer types to manage (now we got
rid of the rest). And their February 1945 start pools are being
defined. Many land units, and ships, and air groups, lost during the
war, are also being deleted from 126. It will be the first RHS
"mini-scenario" in that it only lasts from February 1945 through
November 1945. That is from the invasion of Iwo Jima (stand up)
to the end of Operation Olympic (the invasion of Kyushu). It is
a full map scenario which means forces in any theater may be managed,
if they can be. Late war bases, roads, railroads, etc are properly
defined. It is a massive project.

A different mini-game is being investigated. Called Strike North,
it would not begin in Winter, and would involve implementing the
Kwangtung Army's plan to invade the USSR. Whether or not Japan
decides to attack the USA or SRA is up to the Japanese. Whether or
not the Allies decide to attack Japan (because it is at war with
their ally) is up to the Allies. It is an impossible scenario for
Japan. But so is the entire Pacific War! And there is interest
in Russia - there are players in Novosibirsk who want a Russia
scenario. [They probably like killing Japanese and conquering its
territories, "correcting" the "wrongs" of history]. And I do want
to see if I am right that Japanese planning was inadequate to the
task? [General Togo, the Foreign Minister, often said "I go to
bed every night worried about the Russians. I wake up every morning
without an answer." I think he had a clue.]

< Message edited by el cid again -- 5/13/2018 9:59:32 PM >

Post #: 492
RE: RHS Microupdate 3.15 (eratta) - 5/16/2018 3:43:44 PM   
m10bob

In the AI scenario, Trincomalee was a Royal Navy base for warships, but it had no means to furnish torpedoes to the Hermes, (which did fight in the Indiana ocean early on during the war.

I gave the Trincomalee fort a device 196 (torpedo ordnance) which solved the reloads issue.

I then replaced the Swordfish AS planes on Hermes with the torpedo bearing planes.
(Hermes was assigned briefly to AS duties in September 1939 but by June 1940 was sending torpedo bombers against the French BB Richelieu, before proceeding to Ceylon, (where the ship was modernized.)
Normally Hermes carried 20 planes, but on her last mission, she had left her planes at Trincomalee and was located by the Japanese with no planes aboard.

When sunk, Hermes was part of the Eastern Fleet.

Post #: 493
RE: RHS Microupdate 3.16 (eratta) - 5/16/2018 9:12:33 PM   
el cid again

RHS Update 3.16

Working on setting up a demonstration tag team game
has forced microscopic examination of the game from
a player point of view. This reveals issues in the
data of various kinds.

This is a micro-update involving only scenario files
and pwhexe.dat files.

The correction of midwar pwhexe.dat files continues.
As well, some files were found not to have a military
road crossing Kamchatka, and it was added - and
earlier files checked to insure it existed. Late
war files need updating in this respect and will be
addressed forthwith. Some location and aircraft eratta
were found. This might be done (fingers crossed).
Setting up both sides in a demonstration game reveals
a great deal!

Post #: 494
RE: RHS Microupdate 3.15 (eratta) - 5/16/2018 9:18:28 PM   
el cid again

This differs from my information. My understanding is that the ASW Swordfish -
which were considered by Adm Coyningham to be a technical tactical advantage =-
were assigned at the start of the war. The idea was to make night attacks using
radar with very little risk of fighter opposition. I need to look into this -
it is covered in both British and US histories. I went to a lot of trouble to
make the ASW Swordfish with functional ASW weapons and radar. Few players
have tried to use it, as far as I am aware. One problem with the aircraft (
there is a land based torpedo version ) is that it CAN be reconfigured easily -
most planes can - but in game terms this is hard. I do have numbers of planes
you can "swap versions of" to help with this - but Swordfish isn't one. Maybe
I should add that feature. Will look at it.

quote:

In the AI scenario, Trincomalee was a Royal Navy base for warships, but it had no means to furnish torpedoes to the Hermes, (which did fight in the Indiana ocean early on during the war.

I gave the Trincomalee fort a device 196 (torpedo ordnance) which solved the reloads issue.

I then replaced the Swordfish AS planes on Hermes with the torpedo bearing planes.
(Hermes was assigned briefly to AS duties in September 1939 but by June 1940 was sending torpedo bombers against the French BB Richelieu, before proceeding to Ceylon, (where the ship was modernized.)
Normally Hermes carried 20 planes, but on her last mission, she had left her planes at Trincomalee and was located by the Japanese with no planes aboard.

When sunk, Hermes was part of the Eastern Fleet.

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 495
RE: RHS Microupdate 3.15 (eratta) - 5/17/2018 12:15:53 PM   
m10bob

Most of my aircraft data comes from COMBAT AIRCRAFT OF THE WORLD..by John W. R. Taylor, ISBN 0-399-50471-0.

I also use Aircraft of WWII by Stewart Wilson, ISBN 1-875671-35-8

They describe the Swordfish as having three main models, starting with the mark I in 1936, a carrier-borne torpedo/patrol/recon plane which overtime furnished31 FFA squadrons, and 2 RAF as well.
It outlasted it's intended replacement, (the Albacore) and was still active in 1945.

From the beginning, it could be operated from land based units, and even had special floats made to interchange with the wheels.

The info I provided was gleaned from wikipedia, (regarding Hermes' deployment in home waters and her anti-sub duties in 1939.
It also gave the dates I mentioned concerning her transfer to the Med and to Ceylon with the Swordfish back in torpedo missions.

Between these books and wikipedia, they describe the plane as the only Brit plane capable of hard landings from listing or sinking carriers, even when carrying loads.

While the Mark II did nor come out till 1943, the only real difference was the type of engine, and types of bomb shackles.

The Mark III could be equipped with ASV Mk X ASW Radar and ASW weapons.

From the very beginning, the plane could carry an 1800 lb torpedo, or the equivalent load in bombs.
Canada even produced a modified Mk II version with an enclosed canopy, like the Albacores.

Regarding the assignments of HMS Hermes itself, we might look at some info provided by this "WW2 Database, online).

https://ww2db.com/ship_spec.php?ship_id=160

Also regarding Hermes final days, I used the Belotes' TITANS OF THE SEAS.

BTW, I was surprised to learn the reason the HERMES was carrying 14-15 planes instead of her designed capacity of 20, was due to her second elevator being installed, robbing the hanger of the room.

FWIW, we both remember how easy subs were to kill in the original WITP, (and it's predecessor Uncommon Valor), and we both worked on ways to improve this.

In the end, it was corrected in AE, but now, air ASW efforts are left toothless, (IMHO), and just as it is easier for a grunt to hit a target from atop a hill, I feel it should be easier to locate and injure a sub from the air.

Blimps suffered NO losses of ships which they were protecting...according to stats, (while losing out to one German U-boat during Operation Drumbeat, IIRC.)

1 Sep 1939 12 Swordfish torpedo bombers of 814 Naval Air Squadron landed aboard HMS Hermes to join her air crew.
18 Sep 1939 Aircraft from HMS Hermes located a German submarine escorted by destroyers Isis and Imogen; the subsequent attack was ineffective.
7 Oct 1939 HMS Hermes made rendezvous with French battleship Strasbourg in the Atlantic Ocean.
16 Oct 1939 HMS Hermes arrived at Dakar, French West Africa.
25 Oct 1939 HMS Hermes departed Dakar, French West Africa as a part of Force X patrolling Atlantic waters for German raiders.
9 Jan 1940 HMS Hermes began a period of refitting in Britain.
10 Feb 1940 HMS Hermes completed a period of refitting in Britain.
25 May 1940 Captain Richard F. J. Onslow was named the commanding officer of HMS Hermes, relieving Captain F. E. P. Hutton.
29 Jun 1940 HMS Hermes received orders to set sail toward Dakar, French West Africa.
7 Jul 1940 After dark, a boat from HMS Hermes attempted to drop depth charges underneath French battleship Richelieu in Dakar, French West Africa; the attack was not successful.
10 Jul 1940 HMS Hermes collided with armed merchant cruiser HMS Corfu in the Atlantic Ocean in poor weather, injuring two and killing one aboard HMS Hermes.
5 Aug 1940 HMS Hermes joined a South Africa-bound convoy in the South Atlantic.
17 Aug 1940 HMS Hermes began receiving repairs at Simon's Town, South Africa for damage caused by the 10 Jul 1940 collision with armed merchant cruiser HMS Corfu.
2 Nov 1940 HMS Hermes completed her repairs at Simon's Town, South Africa.
29 Nov 1940 HMS Hermes arrived at Freetown, South Africa.
2 Dec 1940 HMS Hermes made rendezvous with light cruiser HMS Dragon in the South Atlantic.
31 Dec 1940 HMS Hermes set sail for Simon's Town, South Africa.
26 Jan 1941 HMS Hermes detected a French blockade runner in the Indian Ocean south of South Africa, but lost the ship in the pursuit.
4 Feb 1941 HMS Hermes set sail toward Kismayo, Somaliland, Italian East Africa.
12 Feb 1941 HMS Hermes captured an Italian merchant ship off Italian East Africa.
22 Feb 1941 HMS Hermes was ordered to search for German cruiser Admiral Scheer in the Indian Ocean; the search did not yield any results.
4 Mar 1941 HMS Hermes arrived at Colombo, Ceylon.
19 Nov 1941 HMS Hermes arrived at Simon's Town, South Africa for a refit.
31 Jan 1942 HMS Hermes completed her refit at Simon's Town, South Africa.
14 Feb 1942 HMS Hermes arrived at Colombo, Ceylon.
19 Feb 1942 HMS Hermes departed Colombo, Ceylon to receive Swordfish torpedo bombers of 814 Naval Air Squadron in the Indian Ocean.
25 Feb 1942 HMS Hermes arrived at Trincomalee, Ceylon and disembarked Swordfish torpedo bombers of 814 Naval Air Squadron.
9 Apr 1942 Japanese carrier aircraft attacked the harbor at Trincomalee, Ceylon at 0700 hours. Two hours later, empty British aircraft carrier HMS Hermes and Australian destroyer HMAS Vampire were detected 90 miles further south. At 1035 hours, Japanese carrier aircraft attacked and sank HMS Hermes (307 killed) and HMAS Vampire (9 killed); hospital ship Vita rescued survivors from both warships. At 1207 hours, 20 Japanese carrier dive bombers sank British oiler Athelstane (all aboard survived) and British corvette HMS Hollyhock (48 were killed, 17 survived) in the Indian Ocean

< Message edited by m10bob -- 5/17/2018 2:04:15 PM >

Post #: 496
RE: RHS Microupdate 3.15 (eratta) - 5/18/2018 1:01:22 PM   
m10bob

Checked another source, Osprey's book called THE BRITISH FLEET AIR ARM IN WWII...Brit squadrons aboard carriers were often mixed with 2 types of aircraft, and still assigned for the same mission.

For example, carrier squadrons often employed 18 planes...twelve being Swordfish and six being Sea Hurricanes.
On ASW missions, a flight would consist of 2 Swordfish for attacking subs, and one Hurricane for strafing the target sub and keeping their AA crew occupied.
The book indicates they had previously tried ASW missions with just one Swordfish, but using 2 per attack proved much more successful.

FWIW...Swordfish on pontoon floats were being tried out on battleships like the Barham as far back as the late thirties.

The book further stated the Swordfish was the most successful plane used by the Fleet Air Arm.
Interestingly, the title "Fleet Air Arm" was officially dropped in 1941 and it became the "Air Arm of the Royal navy", but internally, the service was still referred to by it's original FAA name.

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 497
RE: RHS Microupdate 3.17 (pwhexe) - 5/18/2018 3:00:16 PM   
el cid again

RHS Update 3.17

This is mainly pwhexe.dat files for midwar, making them
consistent re straits.

One air group is deleted from Scenarios 125 and 129 -
it was present by mistake.

One map panel is added showing the passenger Ferry symbol
between North and South Islands of New Zealand. That is
panel WPEN31.

Post #: 498
RE: RHS Microupdate 3.15 (eratta) - 5/18/2018 3:02:39 PM   
el cid again

Of course, we cannot easily operate two types in one squadron. But we can as two different squadrons
with similar names. Will look into this.

Dr Brian wants you to join an Allied tag team in a demonstration game. If we do that, we need two more players.
Dr Brian is Chair one. Chairs two and three are available. Look in RHS documentation for Chair 1, 2 and 3
player advice (and definitions).

quote:

Checked another source, Osprey's book called THE BRITISH FLEET AIR ARM IN WWII...Brit squadrons aboard carriers were often mixed with 2 types of aircraft, and still assigned for the same mission.

For example, carrier squadrons often employed 18 planes...twelve being Swordfish and six being Sea Hurricanes.
On ASW missions, a flight would consist of 2 Swordfish for attacking subs, and one Hurricane for strafing the target sub and keeping their AA crew occupied.
The book indicates they had previously tried ASW missions with just one Swordfish, but using 2 per attack proved much more successful.

FWIW...Swordfish on pontoon floats were being tried out on battleships like the Barham as far back as the late thirties.

The book further stated the Swordfish was the most successful plane used by the Fleet Air Arm.
Interestingly, the title "Fleet Air Arm" was officially dropped in 1941 and it became the "Air Arm of the Royal navy", but internally, the service was still referred to by it's original FAA name.

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 499
RE: RHS Microupdate 3.15 (eratta) - 5/18/2018 3:16:08 PM   
btd64

PM's have been sent....GP

Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton

Post #: 500
RE: RHS Microupdate 3.15 (eratta) - 5/19/2018 12:36:09 PM   
m10bob

very regretfully, I must decline the very kind offer as a bout with a Neuroendocrine carcinoma left me with a third of my lungs, and my reliability to maintain a presence is very iffy, over time.
It does not mean it is terminal, just difficult to predict steady input to the game.
Loving the game as I do...I am here in the forums as much as possible but feel my input to be far less than I would like...

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 501
RE: RHS Microupdate 3.15 (eratta) - 5/19/2018 1:59:40 PM   
btd64

Bob, most likely this would be a short test and you would only be responsible for about a 3rd of the Allied command. Turns are usually generated every 3 days or so. If that sounds like it might be light enough for you to handle, let me know....GP

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 502
RE: RHS Microupdate 3.15 (eratta) - 5/19/2018 3:49:56 PM   
m10bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: btd64

Bob, most likely this would be a short test and you would only be responsible for about a 3rd of the Allied command. Turns are usually generated every 3 days or so. If that sounds like it might be light enough for you to handle, let me know....GP

I'm in!...Please let me know what to do...

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 503
RE: RHS Microupdate 3.15 (eratta) - 5/19/2018 5:22:30 PM   
btd64

First, make sure you have the latest RHS installation. Then email me....GP

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 504
RE: RHS Microupdate 3.18 (map & plane art) - 5/19/2018 9:40:46 PM   
el cid again

RHS Update 3.18

While the pwhexe.dat files have (for some years) had the
road from Singora to Alor Star, I never modified the map
art to show this vital (two hex) road link. For that
reason, it might not be obvious to players who do not
turn on "reveal codes, roads" by pressing the R key.
I have now made a "primary road" in the map art for the
panel showing Northern Malaya.

As well, I discovered that the "Japanese PBY" (H5Y series)
was missing its side art. Mifune made a very nice side
art panel in 2013 (which I found under Old Axis Filmstrips).
For some reason I move the top and mask but not the side art
into the revised filmstrip made later. So we have a new
Japanese filmstrip showing this type. Note that I just added
the H5Y2 variant in the near past. It replaced the original
engine with the Kasai - solving the problems of it being
underpowered. Because of the success of the Emily, it was
not put into production. The result is very similar to the PBY-5.

There are a couple of trivial location eratta (I do not remember
what) and some enhanced RHS documentation files (which are not used
to play, just to document and explain for players edification).

There might be more pwhexe.dat files for late war, but I am not sure.
These would bring later seasons in sync with respect to strait features.

Post #: 505
RE: RHS Microupdate 3.15 (eratta) - 5/19/2018 9:46:31 PM   
el cid again

This is a demonstration game. It will not be allowed to fail. Whoever cannot participate will be
replaced. The turns (except the first one) are public and published - and the passwords are published.
Do not worry if something interrupts availability. We are testing features and demonstrating capabilities.
But it is likely to be a long test. Only that will permit later types and units to show up, and the
effects of strategies to be shown. For example, we are going to demonstrate a Northern campaign,
and a South Pacific Campaign, and maybe invasions of India or Ceylon or Australia (at least partial -
I don't believe in conquering all of India or Australia and we designed RHS to make that very difficult
to do - giving the Allies endless fall back positions).

Nice to see interest - Mifune and I intended to do this alone. But we always work with volunteers.

Mifune was unable to connect to the internet until yesterday. He is back in the loop (but only partly functional
for medical reasons).

We are demonstrating his scenario - 129. He never finished it, but I did, rationalizing most of the art from
the Alt Wars art projects.

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 506
RE: RHS Microupdate 3.15 (eratta) - 5/20/2018 2:44:19 PM   
m10bob

I had updated as of last night but now I am getting yet another file right now...No idea how long it will take?

Is it possible I might be able to speed this up by only downloading part of the files in Sid's latest link?

I do have everything else from his link of 2 days ago?

< Message edited by m10bob -- 5/20/2018 2:48:46 PM >

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 507
RE: RHS Microupdate 3.19 (pwhexe.dat) - 5/20/2018 8:56:19 PM   
el cid again

RHS Update 3.19

This update is (almost) purely confined to pwhexe.dat
files. This was required because of an obscure, half
hex of secondary road which matters on the first turn
in at least some of the pwhexe.dat files.

Hex 80,77 is called Infanta & Real, after the two villages
in it. It is the half land hex due East of Manila. There
are three trails running from it in all three landward
directions, NW, W and SW. But in the start of game file,
and a few other cases in Spring and Fall files, the Westward
trail was coded as Secondary Road (= Military Road). This
would make it too easy to land in the hex (as Japan early,
or as the Allies later) and march on Manila (hex 79/77).
It makes the march too fast and permits too much supply to
come down the trail.

For this reason I looked at every pwhexe.dat file from start
through the start of 1944. [Monsoon files have no jungle
trails and none had a miscoded secondary road. Because it
was in the start of game file, on which all other pwhexe.dat
files were built, some were not corrected before. But every
Monsoon file was correctly coded with zero trails, due to the
collapse of the foundation in the "wet."]

I also added two more pwhexe.dat files corrected for straits
in 1944.

All scenario and documentation files were updated for safety,
but I think the only change is adding documentation of the U.S.
"Invasion of Tonga." [Peculiar usage as Tonga was formally,
and functionally, an Allied nation and even a combatant]. But
it is an interesting bit of historical material almost unknown
to even Pacific War fans.

Post #: 508
RE: RHS Microupdate 3.15 (eratta) - 5/20/2018 9:00:30 PM   
el cid again

I am unclear what the issue here may be? But I can send you only the changed files if you prefer.
Send me your current email address by private mail.

There is a new update just now. All you really need is the start of game pwhexe.dat file, if you are
up to date with the other files. If you need the last update, you also need aircraft, group and location
files, the Japanese aircraft side art, and the Northern Malaya map panel. Advise me by PM or using my
email address - which has not changed in decades and you used to have it.

quote:

I had updated as of last night but now I am getting yet another file right now...No idea how long it will take?

Is it possible I might be able to speed this up by only downloading part of the files in Sid's latest link?

I do have everything else from his link of 2 days ago?

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 509
RE: RHS Microupdate 3.15 (eratta) - 5/20/2018 9:32:24 PM   
btd64

Sid, posting or emailing bob and I just the changed files, from this point on, would be a good idea....GP

< Message edited by btd64 -- 5/20/2018 9:34:00 PM >

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

Post #: 510
Page:   <<   < prev  15 16 [17] 18 19   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> RE: RHS Update 3.10 General Cleanup Page: <<   < prev  15 16 [17] 18 19   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI