Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: RHS Level II Comprehensive Update 1.431 (pwhexe, air art)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> RE: RHS Level II Comprehensive Update 1.431 (pwhexe, air art) Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: RHS Level II Comprehensive Update 1.431 (pwhexe, ai... - 3/25/2016 9:06:16 PM   
el cid again

I did not realize you were using 102. Turns out, all even numbered scenarios, in both level I and II,
have problems with AIF. In simplified, all the sub units are supposed to be gone - but the PARENTS
should appear. I will address this in today's work.

quote:

ORIGINAL: TulliusDetritus

Hello Sid,

well, all I can tell is what I'm saying is indeed true, unless I am missing something See:

(in reply to TulliusDetritus)
Post #: 31
RE: RHS Level II Comprehensive Update 1.44 (pwhexe, era... - 3/27/2016 1:24:12 AM   
el cid again

Level II Update Link 2.72
https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ap7XOIkiBuUwhYgdhnbHRnhTAFX2OQ

While this update includes all out year Fall pwhexe.dat files - it also includes every
other pwhexe.dat file reworked! This is the complete set of pwhexe.dat files for standard RHS (strictly historical) scenarios.

It also includes a major review of location files because of problems reported with
units not appearing in Scenarios 102, 104 and 106. These are "simplified RHS" scenarios and some sub units do not appear. But if the sub unit had a pointer at a parent, the parent also could never form. It turns out a small number of units on both sides in all scenarios were affected, although mainly it was even numbered ones. It affected Aussie 7th and 8th Divisions, the ROC First Marine Regiment, and about three IJN Combined SNLFs.

In addition to the above, about three Soviet Outpost base forces, and one location,
were added. We now can see how aircraft could fly from Alaska to the middle of the USSR? These bases may matter if Russia is drawn into a war in the Far East. The last one turns out to be on the Road of Bones and probably explains why it was built (when numbers of other projects were suspended). Except for map related developments - some units will change bases when we are sure the three new off map locations and the one new entry zone to be added all work - file development is complete except for correcting eratta. From now on work is going to focus on the map: linking locations and zones (some new combinations) and creating interim map art to better show the new material.

< Message edited by el cid again -- 1/14/2017 4:51:00 AM >

(in reply to el cid again)
Post #: 32
RE: RHS Level II Comprehensive Update 1.44 (pwhexe, era... - 3/28/2016 3:23:47 PM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

ORIGINAL: el cid again

Level II update link 1.44
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=30E506228938D79E!33899&authkey=!AEms6pC46mkIZq4&ithint=file%2cmsi

Hello again Sid,

You fixed the Aussie divisions problem

Many thanks for your patience and effort

a nu cheeki breeki iv damke

Post #: 33
RE: RHS Level II Comprehensive Update 1.45 (aircraft de... - 3/31/2016 3:44:38 AM   
el cid again

Be SURE to put the pwhexe.dat file in the top level AE folder - it is NEW a
and IMPORTANT.

Level II Update Link 2.52
https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ap7XOIkiBuUwhN0ESrPbLJB7u3ZwXQ

I forgot I needed to review aircraft devices, particularly for late war aircraft which are virtually never tested in games. In particular, I was worried about atomic bombs (RHS has its own devices) and missiles.

I found numbers of issues, large and small, affecting devices, aircraft, groups, and leaders. In the process I reworked RHS atomic bomb devices, aircraft and groups - and leaders for them - extensively. In particular, I assigned about 8-10 command pilots to the 393rd Bomb Squadron. This "unit" is presented as four sub units which may NOT combine. Three are one plane detachments which may either fly with B-29 Silverplate PB (pumpkin bombers) or (eventually) with either B-29 Silverplate IB (implosion bombers for Fat Man type implosion bombs) or B-29 Slverplate UB (uranium bombers for Little Boy gun type bombs). These units now all appear at Tinian (or, if it is not Allied controlled, San Francisco) on 30 May, 1945 - the date they really arrived. NO atomic bomb armed aircraft are available. Instead, all four units have the B-29 Silverplate PB - a gigantic conventional bomb the same size as an atom bomb. This was done to permit training of crews in operational conditions. The detachments that bombed Hiroshima and Nagasaki have their historical commanders. Since the squadron commander was also the Hiroshima command pilot, the XO is the commander of the "main body" of the squadron. The Ops officer and other pilots who flew the primary or secondary aircraft on each historical mission, or who where scheduled to fly but could not due to illness, are also included.

The atomic bomb devices had to be moved to different slots, and altered somewhat, to both display and work. RHS uses a combination of 24 different bomb devices for each atom bomb, statistically modeled to result in the UB (gun type uranium fueld bomb) being slightly more reliable, with a realistic potential variation in yield, and with different weight for the different bomb types. While a "dud" bomb is possible, it is very unlikely, and still will cause damage. Much more likely is a variation in yield, with only about a 20% chance of a larger than expected explosion (as actually occurred at Nagasaki). It hardly matters: even dud events are nasty, big bombs, and there will be between 20 and 24 non-dud sub-bomb devices per attack.

Alarmingly, not one missile (Allied or Axis) appeared at all! But that turned out to be because of a code glitch and I found a workaround. They both appear and work, somewhat to my surprise. [I was prepared to simulate missiles with other devices, but missile code appears to work fine.] A similar problem existed for "smart" (i.e. guided) bombs - but again it was a weird glitch in code preventing them from appearing - and one can defeat it by setting them to a game start date and letting the availability of the aircraft determine when you can use them?

There were problems with integration of devices and aircraft in terms of dates. I reworked the blimps as well, permitting 18 cancelled M type (longer range) to appear in addition to the 4 completed in Japan Enhanced Scenarios. Note that RHS blimps are NOT stock AE blimps. Although they only have base forces on the West Coast (all three historical ones), they can probably work with ships or other groups capable of being assigned ASW aircraft. USN experimented with support by ships, and one such ship (with its gigantic mast) is in the game. There are four "classes" of blimps, essentially differing in the quality of their radar and their depth bombs over time.

There was a problem with the only operational AAM used operationally during WW2. This is a German product only found in Japan Enhanced Scenarios on a Ju-88 variant late in the war. It too didn't want to appear - for the same reason as atomic bomb and missile devices which were previously invisible. This glitch only seems to matter for devices appearing in 1945 (or, if there were any, almost certainly in 1946), and only for aircraft weapons - not sensors or non aircraft devices. The "fix" is to lie about date - which does not matter if the aircraft do not appear before 1945.

It is possible there is some location file eratta worked in - I am not clear if any have occurred since the last update.

Supplimental:

I failed to mention there is a new set of Axis air art filmstrips.

Discovering a source with dozens of potentially useful images, I surprisingly
rejected all of them because none was better than we have already. But I
became inspired and reworked two sets of are images (there are three
elements for every aircraft).

I decided to get rid of the Ku-7 large glider in the side art for the Ku-8. This side
art was created by Cobra in WITP days, and apparently he got the numbers mixed
up. I took a Ku-7 black and white photograph, colored it, and reduced it - putting
it into the image for the "combination" behind the tug. This is more like the Allied CG-4 combination - which also was created by Cobra long ago. At the same time, I reworked the top and alpha slightly. These are not really glider art at all, but modified transport art, and if the removal of the engines worked, the front end had the wrong shape. It is slightly better now.

I also decided to make the Ku-1 art similar to the other gliders (three variations of the CG-4, the Ku-7 and Ku-8) - showing the combination rather than just one glider. That side is not very great to begin with - based on a drawing with little detail. It looks better if reduced anyway. So I reduced it and put it on top of the former Ku-7 in the single glider and tug combination art I made a few days ago. I then took a Ki-51 side and replaced the tug in that same art. Now we have proper combination art for the Ku-1 - and it looks better I think - as well as being more consistent with how we present other combinations.

< Message edited by el cid again -- 11/3/2016 5:03:48 AM >

Post #: 34
RE: RHS Level II New Pwlink.dat file - 4/6/2016 3:26:19 AM   
el cid again

RHS Level II Update Link 2.20
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=30E506228938D79E!33899&authkey=!AEms6pC46mkIZq4&ithint=file%2cmsi

This is a copy of email sent to the RHS distribution list. It lacks
attachments - but the critical new product has a link here below.

In my study of the pwlink.dat and pwzone.dat files has led to some
new products.

Ranges between off map ports were generally incorrect. This file
ONLY fixes that issue for EXTENDED MAP SYSTEM games.

My review of the original files produced for the extended map system
discovered a number of range eratta. For that reason I have
created a new version of the pwlink.dat file, which is here attached
with the prefix RANGEMODIFIED. This is also tested and works well.
Changes are fully documented in the attached spreadsheet.

This new pwlink.dat file is IDENTICAL to Andrew's EXCEPT for the range between ports. These ranges are now derived from the Distance Between Ports navigation
publication.

There are 28 pairs of entries. Each pair was and remains complimentary -
the distance one way = the distance the opposite way between any pair of ports.
Four pairs had perfect ranges (to the nearest hex). 12 pairs over stated the
ranges (up to 13.3%). 12 pairs understated the ranges, up to 65.2% - with
a couple of other huge errors.

This new file is suitable for use with ANY scenario designed to use Andrew Brown's Extended Map System. At this time, that INCLUDES RHS Level II. It DOES NOT
include RHS Level I - which uses the stock map system.

My next product - today or tomorrow - will be the same file for the standard map system.

AFTER that I will modify the extended map system to become the RHS Extended Map System. Essentially it will be an expanded version of Andrew's original.

The effect of using this file is that it will correct ship transit times for Allied task forces using off map movement.

A link to the new pwlink.dat file is here below

Revised link

Full Update link

< Message edited by el cid again -- 5/22/2016 3:03:16 AM >

Post #: 35
RE: RHS Level II New Pwlink.dat file - 4/6/2016 3:31:43 PM   
m10bob

Hello Sid..Still very interested in RHS. I was able to download one of the links you provided, allowing me to create one RHS game, but when trying to obtain updated files, I get an error message stating I cannot get further updates as I already have a file with same name.(?).
I suspect it will allow me to upload your most recent links only if I delete the entire prior files, (which is not how you did things with the original RHS, (which I helped you on, along with Peter...aka CobraAus).

I am not able to get any e mails to you...all marked undeliverable.

I use AOL for e mail.

None of my comments were answered on your other topics...and I recall you are a busy person.

NOTE: In the main WITP AE forum...I just started a new quiz asking folks to identify a plane.
Here is the Chinese version of that plane.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by m10bob -- 4/6/2016 3:45:48 PM >

Post #: 36
RE: RHS Level II New Pwlink.dat file - 4/6/2016 5:27:52 PM   
el cid again

Aol had some problems in the last 48 hours - and again this morning. I had to reset my AOL altogether.
I am sending you my email address. [Correction - the problem was local. My ISP had a fibre optic cable
cut! Couldn't get to or from AOL.]

Normally old files should overwrite new ones using the Advanced Installer.

Your plane appears to be one of the Lockheed transports - maybe an L-18.
It is just a bit larger than an L-14.

quote:

ORIGINAL: m10bob

Hello Sid..Still very interested in RHS. I was able to download one of the links you provided, allowing me to create one RHS game, but when trying to obtain updated files, I get an error message stating I cannot get further updates as I already have a file with same name.(?).
I suspect it will allow me to upload your most recent links only if I delete the entire prior files, (which is not how you did things with the original RHS, (which I helped you on, along with Peter...aka CobraAus).

I am not able to get any e mails to you...all marked undeliverable.

I use AOL for e mail.

None of my comments were answered on your other topics...and I recall you are a busy person.

NOTE: In the main WITP AE forum...I just started a new quiz asking folks to identify a plane.
Here is the Chinese version of that plane.

< Message edited by el cid again -- 4/9/2016 7:08:21 PM >

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 37
RE: RHS Level II New Pwlink.dat file - 4/6/2016 6:03:19 PM   
m10bob

This is a Boeing 247...very common passenger plane in CONUS in the thirties and early forties.
The USAAF took over approx 30 examples and of course China had a few, one flown by the Generalissimo's son.
USAAF called it the C-73

Does this newest file allow the off map ports to work?..Really like the Gulf of Mexico port idea, especially since all the theater LST's and P 47's came from Evansville on the Ohio.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by m10bob -- 4/6/2016 6:06:47 PM >

Post #: 38
RE: RHS Level II New Pwzone file - 4/9/2016 7:06:28 PM   
el cid again

Most of the emails came back rejected. So here is a link instead.

generic pwzone.dat file for all extended map mods
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=30E506228938D79E!33142&authkey=!AI74QkoRZU6o_jA&ithint=file%2cdat

This file is another building block toward getting new off map locations to work.
In fact, just as the pwhexe.dat files and location files must define them, so
must the pwzone.dat file. Now to get a matching pwlink file to compliment
them.

This development required a new editor be written - in fact it was rewritten twice.
Similar new pwzone.dat and pwhexe.dat editors will be written soon - now we have
clearly established that the new pwzone.dat editor works on the new, wider monitors
and laptops of this era. These new editors only are for wide screen displays -
they work fine on high resolution and less wide displays already.

In fact, there already are new pwzlink.dat files for both standard and extended map systems. These correct range errors between off map ports. Now I will add links to specifically RHS off map ports, which are defined in this file for the first time.

< Message edited by el cid again -- 4/12/2016 8:23:24 PM >

Post #: 39
RE: RHS Level II New Pwlink.dat file - 4/9/2016 7:08:35 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Hello again Sid,

well, in scenario # 122 ie Level II AI oriented scenario, the Russians are active. The sneaky and treacherous Japanese hordes attacked targets on Russian soil the 7 december itself - the poor things. Plenty of Soviet ships arrived on the next turn -supposed to arrive historically by august 1945. The Red Army is at the ready that is. I mean, this should not be happening. The Japanese should not be attacking the Russian bear (Hitler is happy though, that might stop the Moscow Counteroffensive initiated the 5 december)

Regards

a nu cheeki breeki iv damke

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 40
RE: RHS Level II New Pwlink.dat file - 4/9/2016 7:11:25 PM   
el cid again

The Boeing 247 site indicates there was but one in China. We don't normally do single planes.
I will look at it for the US.

Republic of China Private owner operated one aircraft.

end quote

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 41
RE: RHS Level II Comprehensive Update 1.461 - 4/12/2016 8:21:19 PM   
el cid again

This update corresponds to 1.461 of Level I, but with additional
work done, including a new (not yet completed) pwzlink.dat file.
As well, it has the new pwzone.dat file. This goes a long way toward
making the new off map locations work - but still more work is needed.
As well, it relocates ships to test polynya - areas in the ice where the
water never freezes - two of which permit winter navigation - something
not present in Level I.

The new allied Boeing 247 is in odd numbered scenarios. In 125
(and the future 129) - Japan Enhanced Scenarios - Canada puts its
planes in the West (they really served in the East) - in the form of 141
Squadron - which isn't in other scenarios. It can upgrade to Beechcraft,
Dakota or other transports when/if available.

Remarks below generally apply as well. You have new air art, new scenario
files, new pwzlink.dat and pwzone.dat files, and many updated documentation
files. Three off map locations don't yet work - but probably will even in ongoing
games - if I get the pwlink.dat file fully configured. And I am getting technical
support from Matrix, so that is likely. One editor has been rewritten and two more
will be to facilitate this work.

This unplanned update was made for several reasons.

There is a change to the aircraft art and we keep Level I in sync with Level II
in that respect rather than have two standards. As well, there are new aircraft,
which, since we were reworking the Level I files, we added. The most interesting
of these is the Ki-105 (formerly Ku-7 II) twin engine, ultra long range transport -
a glider upgraded with engines. Here, I actually made the top art and alpha myself,
which is unusual, by modifying the Ku-7 I images done by Cobra AUS long ago.
Working on that, I figured out that the Ku-8 I, which was developed in the first part
of 1942, was never put into production. An improved version, already added, the Ku-8 II, was mass produced in 1944 (700 examples). So I changed the way RHS treats
them - the Ku-8 I exists but is not in production, although a player may produce it.
The Ku-8 II gets a much higher rate of production than it had before - in strictly historical scenarios. Neither type is in production in Japan Enhanced Scenarios,
but may be put into production (because I think glider production may be a mistake
in terms of resource allocation - JES scenarios have no glider regiments - substituting more transport regiments. Both glider plane units and troop units are replaced by regular air transports and light parachute regiments.

The Boeing 247, the first modern airliner, was added to art - but not to Level I aircraft files. It is present for use by Level II. Level II 1.46 will release tomorrow.

There is at least one new device. An airborne Type 3 Special tankette was added, but it only appears in JES scenarios because it was not put into production. It is essentially a machine gun tank (there were three versions, but it is the practical one),
and it is small enough to move on Ku-8 II. A type 95 light tank can be moved by a Ku-7 I (but not II). This means the single airborne "armor" company can be airlifted by gliders or by heavy regular transports, if either is produced - in 1944.

There is some eratta of all types which, when significant, was backfitted and held against this day, when a release would happen. Most of this will update into old games. All of it will make new games run better in some sense.

There is no present plan to update again, but it is likely there will be occasional releases similar to this one.

< Message edited by el cid again -- 5/22/2016 3:03:41 AM >

Post #: 42
RE: RHS Level II Comprehensive Update 1.461 - 4/13/2016 2:19:55 PM   
m10bob

From the past I know you have been very thorough in your researches, and very open in "kicking the can" and sharing info.

I like the inclusion of many of the new planes in your OOB's and am curious.

I suspect you maintained the stock plane slots (art wise) and then put new art in different numbered slots.
If so, (in theory), I should be able to slide your plane art into my custom AI game, and the editor would allow me to add your planes to MY AI game without interfering with the planes I already use?

In other words...when the computer is told to have slot #25 look at artwork #25, it should see a Mustang(for example), and if I tell the computer to look at slide# 2466 it would know to be looking at a Convair B 36, (for example), even though they are from two separate artside sheets?

Am I just not getting the concept right?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by m10bob -- 4/13/2016 2:28:27 PM >

Post #: 43
RE: RHS Level II New pwhexe.dat editor and update plan - 4/21/2016 9:28:19 PM   
el cid again

Although it is five years old, I did not have the last version (so far) of the
pwhexe.dat editor. I didn't notice as long as I worked on map: version
0.5 worked fine for that. But I failed to permit changing critical bytes for
off map hexes. Once this was sorted out, Dave Bradley sent me version
0.7. The link to it apparently has "disappeared" on the Matrix site, so here
it is again.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=30E506228938D79E!45944&authkey=!ABxw2i_E9Rhm0D4&ithint=file%2cexe

This won't last very long. This editor, in common with three others, does not
work properly on new, wide displays. There is already a new pwzone.dat
editor which fixes that problem. This editor (and others) will get new versions
soon. There also is likely to be new, better documentation to support it,
again according to Dave, who thinks the original needs improvement.

This editor will permit fixing a few eratta in stock and extended map pwhexe.dat
files - for other mods (not RHS). And it will permit me to generate proper pwhexe.dat
files for RHS Level II. Unfortunately, I must redo all the existing standard files, and then do a set for Japan Enhanced Scenarios. RHS Level I files don't need to be
redone (except with respect to two on map hexes which wrongly have nation codes,
but I won't fix that unless working on something else, since they are not used and do
not matter). So Level I pwhexe.dat files will remain AS IS. But all Level II pwhexe.dat files will be changed. This is the final step to make the new off map hexes work properly. At the same time I do them I will issue a special, new Level II pwzlink.dat file - to link the new locations with the old ones - and an explanation of how the new locations work (which is in some respects different for technical reasons).

Post #: 44
RE: RHS Level II Comprehensive Update 1.461 - 4/21/2016 9:37:23 PM   
el cid again

Basically you are on the right track.

But perfection is elusive. For technical reasons, this isn't quite true.

FIRST: RHS is based on stock, so stock slots (in the aircraft file) as well
as bitmap numbers (for art pointers) are identical with stock, but not quite
always.

SECOND: RHS adopted the standard aircraft art used by both stock and all major
AE mods. So, at one point both slots and bitmap numbers were also similar to
those. This, however, has evolved somewhat.

THIRD: RHS did so many plane types, it was running out of both slots and bitmaps.
As well, we adopted "alien" art - and began to make our own art. First, Mifune
both made new art and cleaned up other art a lot. Second, I began to make art,
mainly modifying existing art, but sometimes to get new art. To make room for
more planes, some "duplicated" art (both actual image duplicates and near duplicates,
say of the Frank or Zero) were changed. Originally there were large numbers of
bitmaps devoted to these. And MANY bitmaps are either modified or changed from
the stock and common art schemes - mainly to make them better - or to show new planes.
Some got new national markings, gained or lost turrets, etc. Others were make
"cleaner." And a few new ones have been added. Some "new" art isn't even art,
but rather photographs, although I have begun to replace them with art when it
becomes available.

FYI both RHS Level I and Level II use the SAME filmstrips at this time.
Not all bitmaps are used by any given scenario, and not all are used in Level I.
I will continue to substitute new art on the "best available" principle over time.

Precisely what slot and bitmap is used is specified in a series of documentation
files found under RHS Documentation. There are national lists, service lists,
and overall total lists. All these are up to date for Level I and most are for Level II
(except a few national lists).

quote:

From the past I know you have been very thorough in your researches, and very open in "kicking the can" and sharing info.

I suspect you maintained the stock plane slots (art wise) and then put new art in different numbered slots.
If so, (in theory), I should be able to slide your plane art into my custom AI game, and the editor would allow me to add your planes to MY AI game without interfering with the planes I already use?

In other words...when the computer is told to have slot #25 look at artwork #25, it should see a Mustang(for example), and if I tell the computer to look at slide# 2466 it would know to be looking at a Convair B 36, (for example), even though they are from two separate artside sheets?

< Message edited by el cid again -- 4/21/2016 9:39:38 PM >

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 45
RE: RHS Level II Comprehensive Update 1.461 - 4/22/2016 2:00:13 PM   
m10bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: el cid again

Basically you are on the right track.

But perfection is elusive. For technical reasons, this isn't quite true.

FIRST: RHS is based on stock, so stock slots (in the aircraft file) as well
as bitmap numbers (for art pointers) are identical with stock, but not quite
always.

SECOND: RHS adopted the standard aircraft art used by both stock and all major
AE mods. So, at one point both slots and bitmap numbers were also similar to
those. This, however, has evolved somewhat.

THIRD: RHS did so many plane types, it was running out of both slots and bitmaps.
As well, we adopted "alien" art - and began to make our own art. First, Mifune
both made new art and cleaned up other art a lot. Second, I began to make art,
mainly modifying existing art, but sometimes to get new art. To make room for
more planes, some "duplicated" art (both actual image duplicates and near duplicates,
say of the Frank or Zero) were changed. Originally there were large numbers of
bitmaps devoted to these. And MANY bitmaps are either modified or changed from
the stock and common art schemes - mainly to make them better - or to show new planes.
Some got new national markings, gained or lost turrets, etc. Others were make
"cleaner." And a few new ones have been added. Some "new" art isn't even art,
but rather photographs, although I have begun to replace them with art when it
becomes available.

FYI both RHS Level I and Level II use the SAME filmstrips at this time.
Not all bitmaps are used by any given scenario, and not all are used in Level I.
I will continue to substitute new art on the "best available" principle over time.

Precisely what slot and bitmap is used is specified in a series of documentation
files found under RHS Documentation. There are national lists, service lists,
and overall total lists. All these are up to date for Level I and most are for Level II
(except a few national lists).

quote:

Thank you!..I will report back on my experimentation...

Post #: 46
RE: RHS Level II New pwzlink.dat file scheme - 4/23/2016 10:57:24 AM   
el cid again

Rewritten to clarify that Spring (Ice Breakup Season) is not navigable
in the North, just as Winter (Ice Frozen Season) is not.

In a message dated 4/23/2016 1:57:46 A.M. Alaskan Daylight Time, Trevethans@aol.com writes:
RHS Level II will have a somewhat more developed pwzlink.dat file system.
This differs from the Andrew Brown Extended Map System file in the following
basic respects:

1) Ranges between ports are corrected to match the standard publication defining
these used by maritime navigators; [A version with ONLY this change has been issued for ALL mods using the extended map scheme].

2) Two new off map ports are linked to other off map ports. These are Gulf USA [New Orleans] and Murmansk [USSR].

3) One new [Tiksi USSR] and one existing [Krasnoyarsk USSR] ports are linked to other off map ports.

4) One off map port [Mombasa, Kenya] is linked to Aden, because it is possible to move between these ports without out entering the map.

Because Krasnyoarsk and Tiksi are only seasonably navigable, links to both only permit movement starting at the beginning of MONSOON, every year. For this reason, there will be five pwzlink.dat files, all issued for the Winter season, one each for 1941, 1942, 1943, 1944 and 1945. These will work for the entire year, not permitting the links to work in Winter AND SPRING. The files will be named 41WINTER, 42WINTER, 43WINTER, 44WINTER and 45WINTER followed by pwzlink.dat. 41WINTER is the start of game file except for (unfinished) Scenario 126, which will use 44WINTER at start. Note also that Tiksi is accessible on map from the Bering Sea but only in the Fall Season. Krasnoyarsk is on the largest river flowing into the Arctic Ocean and a vital if seasonal waterway.

Access to Murmansk is year around, but only from Western Europe (Liverpool), Eastern Canada (Halafax) and Eastern USA (Norfolk) - all places which did run convoys to Murmansk. These links assume the passage is South of Iceland, which is open all year around.

Due to limitations in the size of the basic pwzlink.dat file, all theoretical possibilities were not used. Instead, with two exceptions, North Atlantic ports generally do not connect to South Atlantic ports and vice versa. Instead, ALL connect to Recife (Brazil). So players generally must send task forces to Recife. Once they are there they may be told to move to a destination in the other Ocean. Exceptions: Western Europe (Liverpool), and Aden (after Suez opens) may sail directly to Capetown, and vice versa. Not having to cross the Atlantic West to East and East to West does make these route significantly shorter.

I will now proceed to make the base (Winter 1941) pwhexe.dat file to work with these new locations and a few other things. After that I need to modify some scenario files. In particular, ships will change where and when they appear. For example, many US ships were built in the Midwest and Gulf Coast areas (as far North as Wisconsin) - and these need to appear at New Orleans. Also, some Russian vessels will change where and when they appear. As well, I may solve the problem that many river ports in Siberia, Alaska and Canada force ships to "teleport" when Winter sets in: if so, more such ports will get the vessels they should have.

AFTER RHS Level II is completed it is possible an RHS Level II might be done. This would replace the SW map panel with the existing Magadascar map panel. This MIGHT also use the larger pwzone.dat and pwzlink.dat files which are possible under modified AE software, but ONLY IF some additional off map ports are needed. It requires some work on scenario files to add units, but the research was done for the original War in the Pacific (for which the map was made - it has since been resized for AE - both versions by Mifune).

< Message edited by el cid again -- 4/23/2016 9:37:22 PM >

Post #: 47
RE: RHS Level II Comprehensive Update 1.461 - 4/23/2016 5:50:37 PM   
m10bob

Follow up report...using your much needed help, I saved the original planeside art files to a separate file on my desktop..I then replaced them with the RHS planeside art BMP sheets into the WITP-AE art file and tried them.
(It will ask if you wish to replace the existing file, and since I already copy/pasted the originals, I responded affirmative).

All works perfect and it has added a plethora of new aircraft types to my collection.

I have been opening 2 separate editor windows on my desktop and have been copying info from RHS into the AE "stock" side for 2 weeks, cross referencing with my books when needed and have found how involved you have been research wise.
Very impressed and the notes you added explaining the changes made a lot of sense.

Thank you..

IMHO the planeside for the Japanese "Claude" you chose is nicer, because it was the scheme used by Sakai early in his career, in China.
Very much like the B-23 Dragon and the C 97 a lot.
(Used to see several of the latter parked at Rhein Main back in the day.)

Looks like you have also added a bunch of gunboats so I will be "safe and off the streets" for some time.

Thank you and love this forum.

< Message edited by m10bob -- 4/23/2016 5:55:56 PM >

Post #: 48
RE: RHS Level II RHS Carrier Air Groups Query and Answer - 4/23/2016 9:29:23 PM   
el cid again

Question from Dr Brian:

Is there a reason why the USN CV's have there aircraft capacities reduced and not the IJN CV's? From what I have read both in the past and present indicates that most large CV's in the USN could carry 96 aircraft and still function. Althought normally only between 70 and 92 aircraft were carried.

Also, do you have any idea when your extended map version of 105 will be ready. I'm thinking about doing a PBEM with someone?

Reply:

RHS uses a common standard for both sides. But IRL USN used a DIFFERENT
standard from RN and IJN, at least after the first part of the war, when USN didn't
yet have enough planes to operate oversize air groups. The difference is the concept of a 'deck park.' We do NOT permit the deck park (something dating from WITP days RHS) because there is no risk of loss of planes in bad weather, so players will not be forced to make unpleasant choices real world commanders had to make.
These included (a) lose the planes on deck; (b) run for shelter in a good anchorage or port; (c) evade the weather at sea by NOT moving where operational considerations would otherwise dictate.

Related to air group size is aircraft size. Over time the SAME carrier has a DIFFERENT capacity. Older IJN carriers have much larger air groups than RHS uses - because when they were built - planes were smaller. Later USN carriers could have operated much larger air groups if earlier planes, which were smaller, were carried (e.g. F4Fs instead of Corsairs for example). RHS rates carriers either for
their capacity in late 1941, for aircraft of that era, or for the date the first ship is operational, if later in the war.

Note code DOES permit players to "fudge" the air group size. That is, air groups will operate up to 7/6th of the rated capacity. Thus a carrier rated for 72 aircraft may, in fact, operate up to 84. And it can carry still more, just not conduct flight operations with more. In a sense, players may operate more planes than the hanger capacity of the carriers, but only in small numbers.

Note also that the Midway class carriers actually could NOT operate their full air groups! Their capacity exceeded their capacity to carry machines. So in that special case, capacity is limited to the number they could actually operate, in that age before the angled flight deck was invented. So the Midway class is limited to 96 (which means it can operate 112, very close to the historical practical limit which was found to be 110) instead of the 135 it nominally could carry. The similar sized Shinano class is rated at only 43 planes IF built to the design historically used (which itself was an increase from the first design with something like 26), OR 96 planes if the modified "full hanger" option is built. But in fact, Shinano might have carried 120 machines and Midway 135, if one ignores practical operational limits.

Note, as well, the precise number that could be carried varies somewhat with the precise mix chosen: the idea of dedicated carriers with specialized air groups was under study when the war ended. If implemented, there would have been "fighter carriers" with larger groups of fighters and night fighters, "dive bomber carriers" with dive bombers and escort fighters only, "torpedo bomber carriers" with torpedo bombers, recon planes and escort fighters only, as well as "ASW carriers" - an idea actually implemented during the war - with specialized ASW bombers and cheaper, smaller fighters than used by "attack carriers." But we are limited to defining air groups for mixed groups, one size fits all carriers of the same class. Typically, I assume operates four squadrons of 18 planes, but IJN operates only 3 - two of 27 and one of 18 - when the war begins. Later in the war, this changes, and both sides operate more complicated air groups, sometimes with small flights of recon planes and/or night fighters, and with somewhat different sizes and mixes of types - it varies with typical practice. Over time the fighter compliment increases, as does the specialist aircraft compliment, while torpedo squadrons get smaller. A late war Unryu class CV carries 24 fighters, 18 dive bombers, 9 torpedo bombers and 6 specialized recon planes = 57 aircraft, its theoretical ideal air group.

Post #: 49
RE: RHS Level II RHS Carrier Air Groups Query and Answer - 4/24/2016 3:05:17 PM   
m10bob

Research on a couple of the new planes in RHS...The Boeing 314 and 314a, there were actually 12 made in 2 series of six each, the first being brought up to 314a standards in 1941.
Three of them were transferred to BOAC Europe and one was used by Churchill.
These three were later returned to the USN.
Originally, all were to be used by Pan Am, and they did eventually get them back.
One of the planes had to be scuttled after a forced landing when one of the rescuing ships rammed it, and the plane was so tough it took over 1300 20mm rounds to sink it!.

The original martin Mars was being used by the USN as early as December 1943 in a cargo carrying capacity,(the original turrets were removed).
Another twenty were ordered to be built in January 1945 as it excelled at great cargo capacity at long ranges, (20,000 pounds roundtrip from west CONUS to Hawaii had become routine).

Source: Flying Boats and Seaplanes...Kenneth Munson...Blandford Press.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by m10bob -- 4/24/2016 3:09:20 PM >

Post #: 50
RE: RHS Level II RHS Carrier Air Groups Query and Answer - 4/25/2016 10:46:14 AM   
el cid again

I am something of a fan of both the 314 and of the Mars. It is considered probable that a 314 was in fact
captured by Japan and re-engineered to become the Emily! For details of this (the Hawaii Clipper) and other
wartime clipper tales, see China Clipper. Another, caught by the outbreak of war in the Far
East, flew the long way around the world (see Escape of the Pacific Clipper). The Pan Am version of all the
Clippers, old and new, is in Wings to the Orient. RHS features the Boeing 314 clippers which entered service (still
operated by PanAm crews) after the war begin. A few older Martin Clippers are also shown on their route to Alaska.
Those which for various reasons were not available for PTO operations are not included.

As for the Mars, we offer both versions. Strictly historical scenarios have the JRM-1 transport variant as built,
as converted. These begin arriving only in June, 1945, and continue at a rate of 1 per month for the duration.
The PBM-1 Mars is featured in Japan Enhanced Scenarios, both Empire of the Sun and the not yet completed Total
War Option (created by Mifune and under conversion). These begin production in late 1944 and continue, 1 per
month, until the game ends. It is assumed that production continues for the duration. They are amazing aircraft,
and set many records. They ended their service life as water bombers, until all WW2 aircraft were withdrawn from
such duty because of several bomber crashes a few years ago.

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 51
RE: RHS Level II RHS Carrier Air Groups Query and Answer - 4/25/2016 12:16:52 PM   
wdolson

The game represents many planes that were not organized into units and operated independently as abstractions. That's how pilots get from the reserve pool to your unit within a few days.

And how exactly would the Japanese capture a Boeing 314 before Pearl Harbor without the Americans noticing? The Emily's first flight was in January 1941 and the plane was well into development when the war in Europe broke out.

The Hawaii Clipper and China Clipper were Martin M-130 flying boats in Pan Am servie. The Hawaii Clipper did disappear in 1938 flying between Guam and Manila. I think it likely the Emily was a native Japanese design. The Pacific Clipper is the Boeing 314 that flew the long way around the world when the war in the Pacific started.

If you're going to represent all these planes that weren't in units, you need to add scads of Grumman Ducks, Goslings, and Geese. They were all over the Pacific as liaison hacks.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

Post #: 52
RE: RHS Level II RHS Carrier Air Groups Query and Answer - 4/25/2016 1:15:18 PM   
Yaab

Wdolson, thanks for the info re pilot movement. Pilot movement has always been breaking the immersion for me, but I have never thought of it in terms of abstracted "taxi" aircraft. I have always thought all aircraft are present either on map or queue and pilots are just "teleporting" randomly with some time delay. Makes more sense now.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 53
RE: RHS Level II RHS Carrier Air Groups Query and Answer - 4/25/2016 3:54:23 PM   
m10bob

Hello Sid..In your nice RHS artsheet you are using the images for the Japanese Birch on both it and the Japanese Pine trainers.

Here is the Pine:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 54
RE: RHS Level II RHS Carrier Air Groups Query and Answer - 4/25/2016 3:55:24 PM   
m10bob

...and here is a color side:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 55
RE: RHS Level II RHS Carrier Air Groups Query and Answer - 4/26/2016 2:56:45 PM   
m10bob

Just a good site for those Boeing 314's..

http://1000aircraftphotos.com/Contributions/FisherJack/11217.htm

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 56
RE: RHS Level II fully functional pwhexe.dat now completed - 4/28/2016 7:40:37 PM   
el cid again

RHS Level II Version 2.0 will issue when I move some ships to places like
Recife and the US Gulf Coast. Today.

This is the missing link - the pwhexe.dat file that makes off map ports and links
between them and entry/exit zones work.

Remember - most of the time going from the North Atlantic to the South Atlantic
(and vice versa) requires, repeat requires you go to Recife (Brazil). The exceptions are that one may move from Western Europe (Liverpool) to Capetown and (once the Suez Canal is open) from Aden to Capetown (and vice versa in both cases) without crossing the Atlantic to Recife.

Post #: 57
The loss of the Clipper - 4/28/2016 7:42:41 PM   
el cid again

You got it right - the Hawaii Clipper was not only lost at sea, it was lost DURING a routine
radio communication with Manila! It was subject to a search in good weather, but no trace
was found. There is a great deal of circumstantial evidence, including Japanese agents on
a Clipper in California, and the way the Clippers spent the night on Guam (no one on board,
everyone at the Pan Am Hotel). I have yet to meet a historian who does not regard the theory
in China Clipper as "probably correct."

There are a handful of planes in RHS which are not in units - only in pools - which a player
may "upgrade" to in appropriate national/service cases. However, most actually do have units.
For example, the Boeing 314s (in PTO) are in a military unit (with civil crews). That models
actually two units (USAAF and USN) which eventually combined into one (USN). Another civil
'group' has 4 Martin Clippers which served Alaska from Seattle. The Ju-52s of a peculiar
Aussie airline are present - they hold the world airlift record pre WW2 - actually lifting
something like 85% of global air cargo on a few planes. There are different treatments for
different cases - mostly modeled on stock units - and some of these have light planes upgrading
to real military types when available. The Goose and Duck have two problems - or maybe three
(now we are virtually out of slots): lack of art (including top and alpha) and lack of actual
service in specialized units (military or civil). I looked at them both several times but never
got past the problems. Some types are composites - representing several similar types. That
in particular applies to light aircraft used for search and recon, or even transport, early in the
war. We do not try to include every type. Instead, we try to include every type which had some
kind of important role, even if local and temporary, anywhere in the theater.

As for Japanese flying boats, it is the industry SOP to copy a US flying boat. This was done long
before WWII with an early one, and long afterward with one of the last military flying boats ever
designed (only China has a newer one, which is less impressive). Details of the design make it appear
Emily is an up-engine version which had, after the prototype, its step moved slightly for better stability.
Its performance was due to adequate power (unusual for any Japanese aircraft).

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

The game represents many planes that were not organized into units and operated independently as abstractions. That's how pilots get from the reserve pool to your unit within a few days.

And how exactly would the Japanese capture a Boeing 314 before Pearl Harbor without the Americans noticing? The Emily's first flight was in January 1941 and the plane was well into development when the war in Europe broke out.

The Hawaii Clipper and China Clipper were Martin M-130 flying boats in Pan Am servie. The Hawaii Clipper did disappear in 1938 flying between Guam and Manila. I think it likely the Emily was a native Japanese design. The Pacific Clipper is the Boeing 314 that flew the long way around the world when the war in the Pacific started.

If you're going to represent all these planes that weren't in units, you need to add scads of Grumman Ducks, Goslings, and Geese. They were all over the Pacific as liaison hacks.

Bill

< Message edited by el cid again -- 4/28/2016 7:57:08 PM >

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 58
RE: RHS Level II First Fully Functional Update 2.00 - 4/29/2016 3:01:46 AM   
el cid again

This is the first release of RHS Level II 2.0 with fully functional off map ports and
the revised RHS links between off map ports and entry/exit zones. It also contains
a number of eratta discovered in the review and update of Level I 2.0 and a few things not possible in the pre-releases of Level II.

The main addition is ships which appear at Gulf Coast USA (New Orleans). These
include about 21 submarines, and the first batch of LSTs (by number - 3 go to Europe and return for Pacific duty late in the war). While all the submarines were done, most of the LSTs remain to be done - because most were built in Pennsylvania and moved down the Ohio River and then the Mississippi to New Orleans.

Surprise here: we learned a lot about the delivery process down the rivers, and although I added New Orleans so the Allies could have subs and LSTs in particular 'sooner' - in fact all are later than the data used before - as well as appearing farther from theater by about 9 days sailing time. What we got was more accurate data
and they really are sooner than they should be in Level I - we just have not modified
Level I data to be what we now know is correct.

There is a new map panel - in the NE you see a rail/road corridor between Midwestern Canada and the Eastern USA. There also are new corridors between
Midwest USA and the main map, and between it and Gulf Coast USA as well - but
these are not yet present in map art. To see them, turn on hexside details and press either road (R) or railroad (Y) keys. Yep - Gulf Coast USA now connects by land as well as by sea.

The primary user change is that Allied task forces moving from the North Atlantic to the South Atlantic (or vice versa) MUST repeat MUST go to Recife - with one exception in 1941: You may move directly from Western Europe (Liverpool) to
Capetown and vice versa. After the Suez Canal opens, you also can move from Aden to Capetown directly - this route is via the Med and is modeled on stock - and vice versa.

There have always been issues with ships in the Arctic in Winter (and Spring) seasons. Some of them want to "teleport" to the national default port. What differs here is that many will not do that any more, for two different reasons. Some only appear at the beginning of Monsoon. Others appear in ports modified so we hope they can 'winter over.' Numbers of these ports ARE working properly. These include ports on two 'polynya' - open water in winter areas surrounded by ice. So near the tip of Siberia and the top of the Sea of Othosk, a tiny bit of shipping may move all winter long!

Numbers of ships need to be modified to appear at Recife - that has not yet been done. And only the start of war pwhexe.dat file is correct for Level II. All the other seasons WILL work for most game purposes ON MAP, but NONE will work for all OFF MAP locations. I will spend weeks of time to make the new files and redefine all the ships (which is a slow process). So successive updates will address both eratta and also update the later pwhexe.dat files and redefine some ships (generally making them available sooner) to appear at Recife (more correctly modeling where they were when assigned to PTO).

Please report any problems. https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=30E506228938D79E!33899&authkey=!AEms6pC46mkIZq4&ithint=file%2cmsi

< Message edited by el cid again -- 5/22/2016 3:04:25 AM >

Post #: 59
RE: RHS Level II First Fully Functional Update 2.00 - 4/29/2016 9:39:33 PM   
btd64

Sid, The level 1 and level 2 installer pages both indicate Level 1 downloads. Not sure if this is a problem or not....GP

Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> RE: RHS Level II Comprehensive Update 1.431 (pwhexe, air art) Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI