Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Newbie experience

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> Tech Support >> Newbie experience Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Newbie experience - 1/20/2016 10:25:11 AM   
Mantzikert

I've played a little bit of the board game. Bought this version 18 months ago. Just found some time to try it out. Solo seems OK.

Upgraded to version 2 for multiplayer. Here are the issues I had. I suspect most are user error, so advice would be welcome on those points.

1) Other player can't see odds
2) Two freezes at end of air combat. I suspect a message box getting lost.
3) Big detailed map occasionally dissappears during combat. Appears to happen when combat type chosen.
4) When I played on just my laptop there was a flyout. On three monitors is is no longer there?
5) Can't get my computer to beep when player changes. Yes, sound is working.
6) Tried clicking on the screen layout button. Lost the main control form. This was during a freeze outlined in number 2 above.

Cheers
Mantzikert
Post #: 1
RE: Newbie experience - 1/20/2016 5:05:43 PM   
paulderynck

1) They see them in the combat resolution form, but on screen I'm not sure. Even if its the other players attack, did you try clicking on the hex to be attacked at your end and seeing if they show in the Main Form? I can't say this will work, it has not been a concern for me when playing.
2) Likely so. I've found Alt-Tab a few times may work to get it back. If it is indeed gone then its a bug and for NetPlay both players save files are needed to be posted for trouble-shooting.
3) I have not seen this behavior.
4) Double-click a land hex to get fly-outs. Double-click a sea dot to get the Naval Review Details form. If you close the latter, fly-outs are still disabled until you double-click a land hex again. MWiF has an amazing number of choices for viewing units. You can also CTRL-Left-click on a port when selecting naval units there. There's also CTRL-H which brings up the Units in Hex form and CTRL-U which allows you to filter on literally hundreds of different parameters to see the units in the game. The more you play, the more you will find which tools perform best for your preferences.
5) I don't use sound for NetPlay - I use Skype and either talk or text with my opponent.
6) Probably one area of the manual that is really worth studying and features that are worth experimenting with - are Screen Layouts and Map Views. The interface here is difficult to get used to and use properly, but once you do, these two are extremely powerful. Especially when switching between say a laptop and a multi-screen desktop.

Paul

(in reply to Mantzikert)
Post #: 2
RE: Newbie experience - 1/28/2016 6:10:55 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

Thanks for the feedback. I'll see if I can reproduce any of these problems. In general, that's necessary for me to fix bugs.

EDIT: There should be a new public beta available for NetPlay next week (early February). That will make it easier for customers to collect a matched set of saved NetPlay games so I can debug NetPlay problems.

< Message edited by Shannon V. OKeets -- 1/28/2016 7:14:08 PM >

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to Mantzikert)
Post #: 3
RE: Newbie experience - 1/29/2016 5:45:53 AM   
nilssone85

I sometimes loose the message boxes when playing hot-seat as well.

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> Tech Support >> Newbie experience Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI