Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Admiral Kamikaze (CSA) vs the Assistant Vice General (USA)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Civil War II >> After Action Report >> Admiral Kamikaze (CSA) vs the Assistant Vice General (USA) Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Admiral Kamikaze (CSA) vs the Assistant Vice General (USA) - 1/20/2016 11:36:54 AM   
topeverest

We just decided to sabre this game. As lifelong American Civil War enthusiasts who have played most products on the market and designed a few too
we are ready. I have absolutely no experience with this game and am expecting to be whacked. But hey that is half the fun.

Here are the specifics: I am UNION / the AVG - - - -

Version 1.06 / most recent

Scenario 4 (full 2 theater campaign starting in April ’61) as UNION Here are the files. Here we go!

For options, let’s go with:

Under Media tab

Regroup Armies – Off.

Battle Animation – Low

Turn Compression – On, since we will be PBEM and it creates a zip file version.

Pause After Battle – On, since you probably want to be able to view the combat results as they happen.

Tooltip Delay – None

Save replay – On.

Game Tab

Fog of war – On of course

Delayed Commitment – Small Delay

Foreign Entry – Easy

Historical Attrition – standard

Automated replacements – not automated.

Activation Rule –large movement and combat penalty,

Randomized generals – Off

Naval boxes handling – 75% rule

Extended Pool – Historical setting

Easy supply – On

Traffic penalty – None.

< Message edited by topeverest -- 1/20/2016 12:45:53 PM >

Andy M
Post #: 1
RE: Admiral Kamikaze (CSA) vs the Assistant Vice Genera... - 1/20/2016 11:38:08 AM   
topeverest

Here are the friendly hints from my esteemed opponent.

For the first several turns, there won’t be a whole lot to move. Most rebel states have not even seceded yet, and I only have two stacks that can even move.

Do you know how to most easily check which units can move? Go to the Strategic Map (under the book button in the upper left, then hit the Map tab). Click on the top right button to hide stacks made up of only fixed units. Then you will be left with units that can move. If you hover your mouse over the stack symbol, you can see what it is, and later on see if it has movement orders. You can even click on the strategic map and it will zoom in on that unit. But once you do that, you will have to get back to the map the way I first indicated.

You probably won’t be able to build much either these first few turns – probably just a couple militia units. You know the recruitment button is in the upper left, correct?

Andy M

(in reply to topeverest)
Post #: 2
Advice Please - 1/20/2016 11:40:22 AM   
topeverest

Did I say I have never played this game.

If I could last until the Spring of 62 I might be able to survive the game.

ALL ADVICE questions comments gladly accepted.

Please let me understand what I should be focused on tactically before we wind this up or as we start. Turns should start today.

Andy M

(in reply to topeverest)
Post #: 3
RE: Advice Please - 1/20/2016 8:48:53 PM   
Ostwindflak

It will be a fun time learning as you go. It really is a good game although if you have never played an AGEOD title before, (not implying you haven't just not sure what your experience is with their game engine) it will take a bit to learn it and get used to it.

As the Union at the start there isn't a whole lot you can do either. The main armies for both sides will be squared off from each other in the East, around the Potomac River. There will be other smaller forces you can move in the Mid-West and further West, but they don't amount to much at the start.

Typically I don't go crazy with recruiting new units at the start. Over the course of the year you will continuously get new units through events and such. However if you put a bit of manpower into your reinforcement pool each turn, that will help in filling out existing units with new elements.

My one piece of advice is don't go crazy with blockading the CSA early on, it will only raise the International Intervention to an unnecessary high level which could really hurt you in the long run. As for production of war materials I would take a couple of those decisions when you can just to get a small boost going into '62 when you will start to figure out what need to recruit and where.

Most Union Generals at the start are not good. Do not put them into unnecessary battles as the commanders of large stacks. Try and find the good Generals and give them some experience through smaller battles to get their seniority up so you can then put them in command of Corps and Armies later on when more become available to you. Hope some of that helps. I will read this AAR and be pulling for you!

Good luck!

(in reply to topeverest)
Post #: 4
RE: Advice Please - 1/21/2016 12:27:46 AM   
topeverest

Thanks for the advice.

Correct I have no experience with the game but decades of gaming experience in the genre. Typically I am a quick study.

Will try to read the manual as I go.

< Message edited by topeverest -- 1/21/2016 1:30:21 AM >

Andy M

(in reply to Ostwindflak)
Post #: 5
PBEM - 1/21/2016 12:29:26 AM   
topeverest

Keeping in mind I have played several dozen PBEM games over the years - this process has to be the worst of any game I have ever played.

WOW.

Notes from my esteemed opponent

1) Start the game and start Scenario 4 as the Union. This will create a folder for that Scenario in your save folder called “1861 April Campaign”. It will have a number after it, either “0” if you have not played this scenarios before, or some other number if you have played it before. Just look for the folder with today’s date.

2) Save the files I sent yesterday in that folder.

3) Issue your orders.

4) When done, execute the turn and watch the replay live.

5) After the replay, issue your next turn orders. Hit save when done – NOT “Proceed to Next Turn”!!!

6) Send the .hst and the USA.ord file back to me.

7) I will go back to step 2, hit “Resume Game” in the start menu, and do Steps 2-6 myself.

The player who does not get the replay will have to scroll through the movement and combat dialogs to re-construct what happened.

Andy M

(in reply to topeverest)
Post #: 6
First Turn - 1/21/2016 12:59:43 AM   
topeverest

Thank god there isn't too much to do. As far as I could tell all I could do is bring in some reinforcements.

Did all three tutorials but feel really naked out there. Know basically nothing about the game.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by topeverest -- 1/21/2016 2:00:51 AM >

Andy M

(in reply to topeverest)
Post #: 7
RE: First Turn - 1/21/2016 1:48:33 AM   
topeverest

dont understand why fort is stil in my hands. Is it?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by topeverest -- 1/21/2016 2:49:28 AM >

Andy M

(in reply to topeverest)
Post #: 8
Turn 2 - 1/21/2016 1:51:41 AM   
topeverest

All I could do is place commanders and move out the Norfolk squadron. Not much to do there.

here is where I need to learn something. I went through the F keys to try to understand. Even struggling with just putting a commander on rail.

I am so pitiful...

Andy M

(in reply to topeverest)
Post #: 9
RE: Turn 2 - 1/21/2016 4:24:24 PM   
Ostwindflak

In that screenshot, yes you still own Fort Sumter. The CSA Army is besieging it and it won't be long before it falls to them.

Like I said, it will take a little bit to get used to the mechanics. Don't beat yourself up over it.

(in reply to topeverest)
Post #: 10
RE: Turn 2 - 1/22/2016 5:12:41 PM   
topeverest

I don't get to game every day... real world gets in the way.

-------------

Too bad we cant just be friends. We wouldn't even need to play if those yellow belly rebel scum didn't succeed!

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by topeverest -- 1/22/2016 6:15:17 PM >

Andy M

Post #: 11
War Bonds - 1/22/2016 5:15:15 PM   
topeverest

Rebs already financing. Should I worry and how do I know when should issue bonds?

Andy M

(in reply to topeverest)
Post #: 12
Early May results - 1/22/2016 10:30:24 PM   
topeverest

No battles. I built a bunch of units but didn't burn my treasury. Moved force to protect / threaten Harpers Ferry.

Got Banks and McDowell
Moved divisions under MCDowell but went red. Will that be an issue when he is no longer fixed?
Banks to St Louis.

Question - and hints on money and conscript management?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by topeverest -- 1/22/2016 11:33:27 PM >

Andy M

(in reply to topeverest)
Post #: 13
RE: Late May Plot - 1/22/2016 10:49:32 PM   
topeverest

Not much to do. Trying my first combat...

Working to reinforce Fort Monroe not sure if I will get there in time. Enemy pulled out of Harpers Ferry. Working to get the rail hexes in WV

Will get turn back tonight probably

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by topeverest -- 1/22/2016 11:51:54 PM >

Andy M

(in reply to topeverest)
Post #: 14
RE: Late May Plot - 1/23/2016 3:41:56 PM   
Ostwindflak

If you hover your mouse over the red padlock in the top left corner of McDowell's portrait it will tell you how long he is locked for. I wouldn't worry about the CSA using financing. They are pretty much broke all the time so you will see that a lot.

You have a money and manpower advantage over the CSA. While it isn't good to run your resources dry every turn, using them the way you are isn't bad. I personally don't issue bonds until I really have to, which is mid way through the game typically.

Just don't forget to put some man power into your reinforcements pool to replace missing hits from either weather or battle.

(in reply to topeverest)
Post #: 15
Early June - 1/24/2016 12:11:10 AM   
topeverest

Combat didn't happen but everything else did.

Getting a bit better at managing basic movement and have read up to page 40 in the manual.

Question - why do some units pop up / show at beginning of turn and others do not?

Also curious if the command point deficit in the McDowell stack will ever abate?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by topeverest -- 1/24/2016 1:13:11 AM >

Andy M

Post #: 16
RE: Early June - 1/24/2016 10:46:35 PM   
Ostwindflak

No, the command point limit won't raise any higher with the leaders in that stack. You can try swapping some of the not so good leaders out with some better ones or reduce the size of the army by taking some units out of it to help bring that penalty down a bit.

I am not sure what you mean about units popping up/showing at the beginning of a turn.

(in reply to topeverest)
Post #: 17
RE: Early July - 1/25/2016 7:52:16 PM   
topeverest

Its time for Bull Run. Expect historical results with the limited command points.

How many new iron works should I build?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by topeverest -- 1/25/2016 8:54:35 PM >

Andy M

Post #: 18
RE: Early July - 1/26/2016 2:22:29 PM   
Ostwindflak

I always build a couple at the start of the game. They will be needed a bit more later on when you really start building cannons and ships. Don't build a bunch all at once though because you can only stockpile so much, the excess gets "sold" off by the A.I.

(in reply to topeverest)
Post #: 19
RE: Early July - 1/28/2016 11:17:16 PM   
topeverest

Cant play every day work gets in way. Here are the suggestions my experienced opponent offered

As the Union, the first half year is primarily a gathering of forces, with some minor offensive action. There are several elements that I usually do:

1) Build a large army near Washington. Goes without saying. I usually fight at least once in 61. I generally keep McDowell in command since he is marginally better than McClellan.

2) Build a small-medium force in the Cincinnati area that can be converted to an army once you have another 3-star (I usually use McClellan) and an HQ. Neither side can enter Kentucky yet, but you will want to advance through the state once you can.

3) Build a medium sized army in Cairo, Ill. I reserve this for Grant to use once he comes in. Grant starts as a 2-star and will not move to a 3-star unless promotable. He must fight and win combats to do that. So be aggressive with him and give him a good sized force, even though it won’t be an army until he gets promoted (unless you want to assign Banks, Fremont or Halleck). The Cincinnati army must aggressively threaten Nashville to occupy the rebel army. Assume AS Johnston will have an army in Tennessee that he can use against Grant. But the rebels will not have enough troops to make two armies in the west immediately.

4) Build a small army in St. Louis for use in Missouri. Driving overland into Arkansas is difficult because you need to build depots in towns as you go, which requires supply wagons (two I believe to create each depot). A depot can project supply up to three regions. For the Union, late 61 and early 62 will be spent securing Missouri (or trying anyway).

5) There are minor theaters like West Virginia and the Far West (New Mexico/west Texas) that you do need to pay a little attention to. Probably Texas/New Mexico a little more so. You get Kit Carson as a general out there, who is fairly decent.

6) Once 1-4 are well under way, I usually build a corps or small army for use amphibiously somewhere on the Atlantic coast. This is usually March/April 62. I find actually seizing ports is the best way to blockade.

7) Build up the navy. The naval blockade boxes only can suppress 25-35% until you start taking ports. You can also blockade sea zones next to ports, but you usually need at least 8 naval elements to do that. That gets expensive. I noticed you have ships off of North Carolina – if there are not 8 elements (ships) in those stacks, they aren’t doing anything of value, other than attacking random Confederate ships that may wander by (assuming you have them set to offensive mode). But rebel ships along the coast will not happen for a while.

You can take or leave this advice – this is just what I usually do. I also notice that you appear to have built a fairly large amount of militia? I usually do not other than to garrison. Militia are slower to march and do not fight well offensively. You can use them to secure cities if you wish, but I rather use regular infantry to secure Washington. You will get a scripted event that grants you like 6-8 brigades for the defense of Washington in spring 62 as well.

Andy M

Post #: 20
Battle Harpers ferry - 1/29/2016 12:09:15 AM   
topeverest

Cant really interpret beyond I lost. How close was it? I didn't get a replay

Got a message that Patterson was removed by Scott after battle. Is it possible he will come back - (hoping not)

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by topeverest -- 1/29/2016 1:28:16 AM >

Andy M

(in reply to topeverest)
Post #: 21
RE: Battle Harpers ferry - 1/29/2016 2:41:08 PM   
Ostwindflak

That battle was pretty much an even exchange. I would say the reason the CSA won was only due to better commanders, not because you got beat up badly.

Patterson should not be returning.

(in reply to topeverest)
Post #: 22
Update - 1/30/2016 2:10:23 PM   
topeverest

I hadn't realized that I hadn't posted the eventful months of August September.

1. Moving to consolidated Missouri and WV
2. Lyon wins two battles at Rolla reversing a rebel invasion. I guess he survives his personal Wilson Creek. Trick here is that the two enemy forces moved in. Lyon was set to attack. when the enemy moved in - he immediately attacked and sequentially beat two roughly equal foes. That was pretty impressive
3. Building an up in NYC for my first foray into naval invasion
4. Over two turns McDowell fought 5 battles at Manassas against a divided enemy (500 points and Johnston were still in Harpers ferry). On the first turn three battles occurred. McDowell actually won the first and drew the second two. He actually got a commendation from Scott. How about that. Then the next turn I plotted them to move back to Alexandria BUT I did not change both force posture choices. As a result McDowell fought two more useless battles. More importantly he fought with zest against an entrenched enemy - with predictable results. Losses were 2 - 1 against. Battle felt a lot like Fredericksburg in my mind. That force definitely needs to be replaced at this point
5. rebels have not acted aggressively elsewhere.

Upcoming turn is first turn that divisions can be built.

More to come.

Andy M

Post #: 23
Late Sept Result - 1/30/2016 3:37:04 PM   
topeverest

Lost a battle to take Charlsetown WV. I tried a quick dash and failed. but I did force the enemy to withdrawal out of another province and took the EW rail except for Harpers ferry

In other major action the enemy attacked the withdrawling McDowell force and was beaten. Hard to believe but below is the result.

Also national morale dropped to 86 last turn and got the event Union has to take the offensive event. Something to be worried about here?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by topeverest -- 1/30/2016 4:40:35 PM >

Andy M

(in reply to topeverest)
Post #: 24
WV campaign - 1/30/2016 3:44:48 PM   
topeverest

Here is that view of WV. Campaign almost complete. Note don't have Harpers ferry to the east. Or Charlestown

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by topeverest -- 1/30/2016 4:46:26 PM >

Andy M

(in reply to topeverest)
Post #: 25
National Morale random event - 1/30/2016 3:52:53 PM   
topeverest

So I was actually able to navigate to the random event that -10 national morale. I also gained 1 point for winning the McDowell battle - net -9.

That event said confederate congress to meet july 20 don't let it happen -10 points. COME ON! You would think the design team could customized random events by date and not make such cosmetic errors!

Anyway will I keep getting this event? I am not really in a position to do too much yet.

Open to thoughts on army sizes etc

Andy M

(in reply to topeverest)
Post #: 26
Contrabands - 1/30/2016 5:00:56 PM   
topeverest

That's new. Should I put them with an army - do they train up to another unit type? Can find anything in the rules.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by topeverest -- 1/30/2016 6:02:27 PM >

Andy M

(in reply to topeverest)
Post #: 27
replacements - 1/30/2016 5:28:35 PM   
topeverest

Here is a view of my current replacement queue. I am thinking I have under invested...

Does the RED mean the suggested amount?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by topeverest -- 1/30/2016 6:32:19 PM >

Andy M

(in reply to topeverest)
Post #: 28
RE: replacements - 1/31/2016 2:48:41 PM   
Ostwindflak

The freed slaves unit just repairs damaged rail roads. They do it pretty fast too. They will not train to be a different unit. Do not put them into combat. They are more of a rear echelon element.

The red numbers on your replacement card are showing you how many "hits" you are missing from your units. You should invest a bit more into replacement chits to bring those numbers down. AGEOD recommends investing at least 10% of your force strength as replacements. It is really personal preference though.

Also I am not sure if you have been doing this, but play some regional decisions too. They can help get you get VPs, money, military control, loyalty, etc.

< Message edited by Ostwindflak -- 1/31/2016 3:51:15 PM >

(in reply to topeverest)
Post #: 29
RE: Advice Please - 2/5/2016 3:58:52 AM   
heartfire

I am looking forward to your game commentary, I hope to learn more about the actual gameplay from your experiences, both good and bad.
Is your opponent also going to provide tales of how the war goes, from his point of view??????

(in reply to topeverest)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Civil War II >> After Action Report >> Admiral Kamikaze (CSA) vs the Assistant Vice General (USA) Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI