Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Is this WAD?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> RE: Is this WAD? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Is this WAD? - 2/29/2016 5:15:37 AM   
Harrybanana

quote:

ORIGINAL: Helpless

quote:

Well in this case I am pretty sure there was no one left because I believe the regiment in question only has a maximum strength of about 2500 and that is how many casualties I inflicted

How do you get the 2500 number? How do you know that all of them were pure kills, i.e. ready elements destroyed?

quote:

What I am trying to show is that it is possible to inflict an impossibly high number of causalities on a fortified unit in a mountain hex in poor weather. IMHO this is a flaw in the game program. I am not saying that the game is not WAD; what I am saying is that the design is wrong.

I don't see "impossibly high number", nor I see "bad" weather (rain is just some probability of clouds). With low alt bombing it has diminishing effect. Forts and mountain is indeed something which should provide some protection in such a case, which is seen by very low interdiction numbers. On opposite side I see huge amount of planes allocated against well reconed front line unit. It would be good to look at the saves in such a case.

quote:

Oh yeah, I tried an almost identical attack on another mountain regiment in Italy and only inflicted about 600 casulties. So maybe this was just a fluke. I don't know.

Or something else which might be not so obvious. In any case, rolls can shift results.

I didn't say the 2500 were kills, I said they were casualties. I got the number by adding 483+507+571+644+375=2580. I am not sure how accurate the Air Directive Summary and Battle Reports are; but I note that when I play both sides I get the same numbers. In other words even the German Reports would show 2580 Casualties.

I didn't say bad weather I said poor weather; which is the definition the game itself gives for rain. I didn't air recon the hex at all. I think pretty much all front line units obtain a detection level of 10 against adjacent enemy units after one turn. I didn't use a huge amount of planes, less than 400. But because they were close to the Front they were each able to fly 2 sorties per day. In any event, all the casualties were caused by the first the first 1800 sorties; so I could have got the same result with 150 aircraft flying 2 missions per day. I guess we will have to agree to disagree as to whether or not such a result was historically possible. This is not that big a deal, just something I personally think needs to be addressed in future versions of the game.

Helpless, despite our disagreements from time to time I just want to say how impressed I am with the way you promptly respond to almost every post. I know you probably have more important things to do and it is appreciated. You are obviously very dedicated to your job. You and everyone else involved should be very proud of this game, it is by far the best WW2 game I have ever played, computer or board.

(in reply to Helpless)
Post #: 31
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> RE: Is this WAD? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI