Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Feature Request

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Tigers on the Hunt >> Feature Request Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Feature Request - 2/26/2016 11:54:55 AM   
Krasny

Can we have it so clicking on a hex selects all the units in that hex?

Thanks.

Post #: 1
RE: Feature Request - 2/26/2016 1:28:40 PM   
iPhoneAppz

First off, let me say that I'm already REALLY enjoying this game. You have a very good game here. I know that it's a good game because I woke up this morning and I couldn't wait to write this post of feature requests because I think that if you implement these things, you'll have an all-time classic game.

I'll echo the original poster...please let us select all units in a hex by default. Actually, it would be helpful to add a preference pane and make 'Select all units in a hex' a preference that the user could control.

Here are some other initial thoughts...I'll make more detailed notes the next time that I play (tonight!!! YAY!!!):
- When I select a unit/units in the movement phase, highlight all of the hexes that I can move to. Let me click once to move the stack to the destination hex. If I get interdicted, stop the movement, but still, don't make me click on 1 hex at a time with no idea how far I can actually move. Maybe even show a unit's movement points when I select the unit/stack. Also, show the movement cost of terrain when I mouse over it.
- Line of sight toggle: When I select a unit, highlight all of the hexes that I can see.
- Line of sight tool: Don't make me pick hexes from a dropdown list. Let me click on a hex and then click on a second hex to calculate the line of sight between the two. Better yet, let me click on one hex and then stretch a line that is green when I mouse over hexes that I can see from the first hex and red when I mouse over hexes that I cannot see. That may be computationally expensive. However, you could pretty easily calculate and store line of sight between all hexes when a map-maker saves the map. Then, it would be trivial to quickly look up line of sight between any two hexes.
- More details! I'd like to see more details of a unit when I select it. How many movement points does it have? What's its firing range? What is a leader's rally chance, etc. I'm a grognard, I like numbers...lots of numbers.
- Let me scroll the map with middle mouse drag. Don't make me go to the edges of the screen to scroll the map.
- Hotkeys! Don't make me click toolbar icons or have to go to the dropdown menus. Let me do everything with (preferably user customizable) hot keys.
- Manual...it needs editing. It just has a lot of typos in it.

Thanks for the awesome work that you've done on the game so far. I'm a software engineer with 25+ years experience so I know how hard it is to get a project done and delivered. Congratulations on the release and I'm looking forward to playing this game for a long time to come!

As an aside, as I mentioned, I'm an engineer. If you need help working on the game, feel free to reach out. Also, I've published 3 books, so I could take a critical pass at the manual for you if you'd like.

(in reply to Krasny)
Post #: 2
RE: Feature Request - 2/26/2016 1:45:47 PM   
Krasny

Also when we move over a hex, please can we see the units in the hex without having to right-click.

There is a ton of space under the hex display on the right of the screen.

< Message edited by Krasny -- 2/26/2016 1:47:47 PM >

(in reply to iPhoneAppz)
Post #: 3
RE: Feature Request - 2/26/2016 2:00:32 PM   
FroBodine

Double-click on a hex to select all units in the hex. This seems to be the standard in many games. This would be a good feature.
\

(in reply to Krasny)
Post #: 4
RE: Feature Request - 2/26/2016 2:05:29 PM   
kylania

quote:

ORIGINAL: Krasny

Also when we move over a hex, please can we see the units in the hex without having to right-click.

There is a ton of space under the hex display on the right of the screen.

There's also the problem with right click being both "Attack" and "View". I've accidentally fired at someone trying to see what units were in the hex instead.

(in reply to Krasny)
Post #: 5
RE: Feature Request - 2/26/2016 3:52:14 PM   
iPhoneAppz

Another request...hyperlinks. Whenever you show a name in the combat dialog, let me click on it to navigate the map to that unit. Also, hexes should be linked. If a message says hex (14,19) I should be able to click on it and the map should center on hex (14,19).

(in reply to kylania)
Post #: 6
RE: Feature Request - 2/26/2016 4:19:53 PM   
idjester

I posted this in another forum but I will repost it here because this applies to this discussion as well.

Guys I can forsee a problem with selecting the whole hex of unit by default.....

If it defaults to selecting everything you will have messages popping up all the time.. (i.e. when you select something that can't do what you are trying to do) And this
happens all the time because of the nature of the mechanics of the game.

Let's say I have a hex with 3 units and a leader and its the movement phase. 2 of those units are broken and 1 unit has alredy fired, and the leader is pinned.

When you select that hex you will get a warning message that says, .....broken units can not move....
Then you will get a warning message that says, ....... units that have already fired can not move....
Then you will get a warning message that says, ...... pinned units can not move...

It would be just to much of a hassle to deal with all of those messages popping up all the time. Selecting units isn't that hard and becomes second nature very quickly for you. I was hoping to get Peter to add in a select all button for times when you can select everything but the programming isn't ready for that just yet. Maybe sometime when he gets a chance to do it..

Hope that helps.

idjester

(in reply to iPhoneAppz)
Post #: 7
RE: Feature Request - 2/26/2016 4:24:54 PM   
iPhoneAppz

quote:

ORIGINAL: idjester

I posted this in another forum but I will repost it here because this applies to this discussion as well.

Guys I can forsee a problem with selecting the whole hex of unit by default.....

If it defaults to selecting everything you will have messages popping up all the time.. (i.e. when you select something that can't do what you are trying to do) And this
happens all the time because of the nature of the mechanics of the game.

Let's say I have a hex with 3 units and a leader and its the movement phase. 2 of those units are broken and 1 unit has alredy fired, and the leader is pinned.

When you select that hex you will get a warning message that says, .....broken units can not move....
Then you will get a warning message that says, ....... units that have already fired can not move....
Then you will get a warning message that says, ...... pinned units can not move...

It would be just to much of a hassle to deal with all of those messages popping up all the time. Selecting units isn't that hard and becomes second nature very quickly for you. I was hoping to get Peter to add in a select all button for times when you can select everything but the programming isn't ready for that just yet. Maybe sometime when he gets a chance to do it..

Hope that helps.

idjester

What if the default was just to select all units that could do the action. So, clicking on the hex that you mentioned would do nothing. But, if the leader wasn't pinned, it would just select him.

(in reply to idjester)
Post #: 8
RE: Feature Request - 2/26/2016 5:33:40 PM   
Gerry4321

This is what I was thinking last night. Then if there was one unit you didn't want to fire you could deselect it. With the small scenario I have played so far I can see this alone would save a ton of clicks.

quote:

ORIGINAL: jglazier

Double-click on a hex to select all units in the hex. This seems to be the standard in many games. This would be a good feature.
\

(in reply to FroBodine)
Post #: 9
RE: Feature Request - 2/26/2016 6:14:15 PM   
Suul

Hello all,

I was thinking about this for my style of play. I personally prefer using only the mouse. If possible could the leader, squad and weapon frame have a click on/click off style for each element. For example click the leader, he is selected, click the squad it is selected, and if I change my mind before the right click for the attack I could click the leader again to deselect him, maybe to use him in a different attack? I would like to play on a laptop, tablet and a TV screen. Clicking units on and clicking units off independently means I would not be repeatedly reaching for the control key on the keyboard. To make a group for moving or firing requires clicking the correct units, but is it really necessary to have to also hold down the control key?

(in reply to Gerry4321)
Post #: 10
RE: Feature Request - 2/26/2016 6:22:39 PM   
MikeMarchant_ssl

I prefer just mouse too. If I have a keyboard on my lap, where do I put the biscuit box?

Best Wishes

Mike

(in reply to Suul)
Post #: 11
RE: Feature Request - 2/26/2016 8:00:35 PM   
sage3

The click-heavy interface I saw in the videos is definitely a bit of a turn-off. At very least, I think that in any case where there's only a single unit in a hex, it shouldn't be necessary to then click a 2nd time in the lower left interface pane in order to "confirm" selection of the unit.

This is one of the things blocking my purchase currently.

(in reply to MikeMarchant_ssl)
Post #: 12
RE: Feature Request - 2/26/2016 8:05:18 PM   
Gerry4321

Great game but it is very click heavy. Would be better to have a double-click to select all units and deselect a few if necessary. Minimally clicking on a hex with one unit show select it auto.

(in reply to sage3)
Post #: 13
RE: Feature Request - 2/26/2016 10:19:37 PM   
Krasny

It is very click heavy. Having to click "go on" after every enemy action, even when there's nothing you can do, and having to reselect moving units after they are shot at, are major pains in the arse.

(in reply to Gerry4321)
Post #: 14
RE: Feature Request - 2/26/2016 10:42:41 PM   
Gerry4321

Other thing I notice is when the enemy defensive fires on you the game also unselects your unit at this time so you have to select it again?

(in reply to Krasny)
Post #: 15
RE: Feature Request - 2/27/2016 12:14:18 AM   
parusski

quote:

Thanks.

During beta testing I made the same request. Peter said double clicking to select all units was disallowed because all units might not be able to do the same thing.

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

(in reply to Krasny)
Post #: 16
RE: Feature Request - 2/27/2016 12:20:26 AM   
Gerry4321

I understand but a player could choose when to double-click, e.g. say 5 units in a hex: double-click and then deselect one unit. Versus left-click hex, and then selecting the five units. It would be very nice but I want multi-level buildings way more.

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 17
RE: Feature Request - 2/27/2016 3:52:58 AM   
kylania

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gerry

I understand but a player could choose when to double-click, e.g. say 5 units in a hex: double-click and then deselect one unit. Versus left-click hex, and then selecting the five units. It would be very nice but I want multi-level buildings way more.

Lets hope you don't accidentally left click on something while ctrl-clicking on things, because that'll select just that unit and unselect everything you'd done before. Or you get a 'can't do whatever' popup message which only visually unselects the unit so you keep getting the error popup till you time selecting and unselecting it just right.

Unit selection is a huge obstacle to this game. :(

(in reply to Gerry4321)
Post #: 18
RE: Feature Request - 2/27/2016 10:14:17 AM   
Krasny

quote:

ORIGINAL: parusski

quote:

Thanks.

During beta testing I made the same request. Peter said double clicking to select all units was disallowed because all units might not be able to do the same thing.

The UI is a huge mess, and Peter's reason to disallow stack selection is entirely specious. Also what's with having to click on a hex containing a single unit THEN having to move the mouse pointer to another part of the screen THEN clicking on bloody unit again to select it?

The UI renders this game borderline unplayable.

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 19
RE: Feature Request - 2/27/2016 2:00:51 PM   
keas66

I think you got the bit " in my opinion" right ? . Yes some enhancements would be nice but it is perfectly playable the way it is at the moment . Also there are plenty of play reasons why selecting the whole stack up front would be the right way to go . Since this is ASL like - I need to be careful about what units I am selecting in a stack to perform what action I want to carry out . Maybe I want to fire just that SW weapon . Maybe I want to individually assault move that half squad into the next hex as a sacrifice to draw fire . Maybe I want to add that leader and full squad into the firegroup using the LMG or maybe I don't want that . Individually selecting each counter in the stack lets me make those decisions in the simplest way .Your approach of selecting everything in the hex then means I need to start un-selecting counters if I don't want everyone pulled into whatever action I want to perform. Which way is better ? In "my opinion" I prefer the current method .

(in reply to Krasny)
Post #: 20
RE: Feature Request - 2/27/2016 2:03:22 PM   
MikeMarchant_ssl

The game is click-heavy and the UI does need work, but let's be patient here. This is the first version of the game and it's clear that a huge amount of work has gone into it. I can't even imagine embarking on a project of this scale and being able to get it to the stage it's at right now. Hopefully, in time, with patches and perhaps new versions (Tigers on the Hunt 2 - The Mauling) things will improve and improve and improve.

I think it's right that we point you things that we don't like or think don't work, but I'd like to do that in a calm and sympathetic way.

Best Wishes

Mike

(in reply to Krasny)
Post #: 21
RE: Feature Request - 2/27/2016 2:44:21 PM   
Krasny

quote:

ORIGINAL: keas66

I think you got the bit " in my opinion" right ? . Yes some enhancements would be nice but it is perfectly playable the way it is at the moment . Also there are plenty of play reasons why selecting the whole stack up front would be the right way to go . Since this is ASL like - I need to be careful about what units I am selecting in a stack to perform what action I want to carry out . Maybe I want to fire just that SW weapon . Maybe I want to individually assault move that half squad into the next hex as a sacrifice to draw fire . Maybe I want to add that leader and full squad into the firegroup using the LMG or maybe I don't want that . Individually selecting each counter in the stack lets me make those decisions in the simplest way .Your approach of selecting everything in the hex then means I need to start un-selecting counters if I don't want everyone pulled into whatever action I want to perform. Which way is better ? In "my opinion" I prefer the current method .

I was discourteous, and for that I apologise. More things are making me grind my teeth than the UI of this game, and I was in a rather poor mood this morning. However that this game has an inefficient UI is not my opinion, but a demonstratable fact. When playing the game it feels like I'm fighting the UI rather than the Germans.

UI aside though, it is a splendid game, especially when using the ASL mod.

I take it that the first scenario is deliberately easy to play as the Germans because I beat it without thinking and one of my Stugs becoming bogged because I foolishly drove it into a building.

< Message edited by Krasny -- 2/27/2016 2:46:59 PM >

(in reply to keas66)
Post #: 22
RE: Feature Request - 2/27/2016 2:58:11 PM   
keas66

I think there is a lot of room for optimization in the UI as well - I would like to be able to find a counter by clicking in it in the OOB for instance , or by clicking on a log message . I think selecting the whole stack is a 50/50 choice - it might speeds things up but it could also slow some things down . I guess I don't have a strong dislike for it yet as a selection method as I have been playing only smaller scenarios . Maybe it will show itself to be more unwieldy in the larger scenarios -I'll have to see .

(in reply to Krasny)
Post #: 23
RE: Feature Request - 2/27/2016 3:52:16 PM   
blackcloud6

I would like to see a "mouse-over" to call up the window that shows what is in a hex instead of having to right-click the mouse to do so. Right click the mouse is mainly for conducting the fire/move/advance action and also making it bring up the stack window feels counterintuitive.

(in reply to keas66)
Post #: 24
RE: Feature Request - 2/27/2016 4:50:14 PM   
Storm72

quote:

I take it that the first scenario is deliberately easy to play as the Germans because I beat it without thinking and one of my Stugs becoming bogged because I foolishly drove it into a building.

Good Morning;

Easy for you is not easy for me!

I am not very good at these types of games yet but I am learning - and I am having fun even though I get pummeled on occasion!

I barely beat this scenario on the Hard Level - down to the last close combat on turn 7. WHEW!!

1 of the greatest selling points to me were the varied difficulty levels AND The ability to quickly and easily modify the scenarios.

If a scenario is too hard - add an extra squad or AFV to the Home Team.
If a scenario is too easy - give the visitors a little something extra.

it took me 2 minutes to modify the Stugs scenario like so:
(Spoiler Alert!)

This one is now far from easy!

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Storm72 -- 2/27/2016 4:51:30 PM >

I spent half my money on Wargames - Women - Booze and Gambling. The other half I wasted.

(in reply to Krasny)
Post #: 25
RE: Feature Request - 2/27/2016 5:34:53 PM   
idjester

quote:

ORIGINAL: Storm72

quote:

Good Morning;

Easy for you is not easy for me!

I am not very good at these types of games yet but I am learning - and I am having fun even though I get pummeled on occasion!

I barely beat this scenario on the Hard Level - down to the last close combat on turn 7. WHEW!!

1 of the greatest selling points to me were the varied difficulty levels AND The ability to quickly and easily modify the scenarios.

If a scenario is too hard - add an extra squad or AFV to the Home Team.
If a scenario is too easy - give the visitors a little something extra.

it took me 2 minutes to modify the Stugs scenario like so:
(Spoiler Alert!)

This one is now far from easy!

I agree...You can edit the scenarios in like 3 minutes to add/delete/alter it anyways you want.
That is totally awesome. Find a scenario to easy or to hard just do like Storm72 did.

We are all playing the game with different skill levels in ASL and different knowledge of the gaming
system. Don't think that the game is not for you because its to hard or to easy because you can
make it just want you want with just a few minutes of time.

I.E. a pro tip for you guys out there that haven't watched my scenario creation videos. You can setup
different zones for the units to be placed in. (For example German Zone 1). In that zone you can choose
a bunch of hexes for those units to be placed in. This way the units are not static and in the same place.
This will allow the units to be places in different setup hexes every time the scenario is played and will
therefore it will play different each time you play the scenario.

Make 3 or 4 different zones for the computer to place his units and assign units to those different zones.
The computer will than random place those units in the setup zones and you have a totally different scenario
just by how you designed it.

Hope that helps.

idjester

(in reply to Storm72)
Post #: 26
RE: Feature Request - 2/27/2016 5:53:35 PM   
Missouri_Rebel

My question is this; is Peter even interested in providing any improvements to the current game?

He has said in several various posts that the reason he didn't implement things is because it is just a one man project 10 years in the making.

Does he consider it finished other than bug squashing? I'd like to purchase this but am a little leary that plausible UI features won't be tackled.

With most developers patches with improvements come out and are planned. Maybe someone could show me where I'm wrong but, it seems to me that this will not be the case with this system.

**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford

(in reply to idjester)
Post #: 27
RE: Feature Request - 2/27/2016 6:11:54 PM   
RobearGWJ

First off, I really enjoy this game. The UI is a bit click heavy, but then, moving stuff around and examining stacks and such on a board is even more labor intensive. I find I'm clicking through things intuitively now, with just a few scenarios tried.

However, that leads to a problem I've had a few times. It's easy to click to advance the phase, see nothing happen immediately, and click again, only to find that the phase advance occurred and now you've clicked through the *next* phase, skipping the first one entirely! I've lost entire Advance Fire phases that way... Not good.

Perhaps a way to "back up" a phase, as long as no actions have occurred, would be a good safeguard? I don't really want to have a pop up question "Are you sure?" each time. I just want to be able to back up if I accidentally skip my Advance Fire phase. :-)

(in reply to Missouri_Rebel)
Post #: 28
RE: Feature Request - 2/27/2016 6:16:23 PM   
idjester

I can tell you that Peter is very passionate about this project. I was working with him right up to the final release date so that he could provide everyone with the most update to date, bug free version he could. We were working on things that he wanted to look at just hours from release.

I can't release any information because its not my project and that is just for Peter to do but I know there are things he is already looking into. I'm sure he will announce this things when he is ready but rest assured that he is looking at many things.

If your afraid that things won't be updated, changed, fixed, altered, you are dead wrong.

(in reply to Missouri_Rebel)
Post #: 29
RE: Feature Request - 2/27/2016 6:30:24 PM   
Paullus

Great work Storm. Just what we wanted people to do.

For my part, I shall do my duty as a general; I shall see to it that you are given the chance of a successful action. /Lucius Aemilius Paullus

(in reply to Storm72)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Tigers on the Hunt >> Feature Request Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI