Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Burn baby burn

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Burn baby burn Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Burn baby burn - 3/10/2016 10:20:48 AM   
guytipton41

Hi Folks,

I had a Japanese DD get shot up off Balikpapan two weeks ago game time, and she limped back to Manado and disbanded. The next day the fires were down to 1. And two weeks later the fires are still 1. Is this just a long series of bad die rolls? I have a fair amount of naval support and two ADs at the port.

Cheers,
Guy

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: Burn baby burn - 3/10/2016 10:21:49 AM   
guytipton41

And this is the base.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to guytipton41)
Post #: 2
RE: Burn baby burn - 3/10/2016 1:25:15 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: guytipton41

And this is the base.

I've never seen this. Not for two weeks. Your System damage is not that bad either. Fourteen random rolls that maintain Fires 1 is highly suspicious. You might try to take her off the pier for a turn and see if you can un-stick it. Your flooding should be survivable for a day in a port.

If that doesn't work maybe Michael can tweak the save. Those Fires should be out.

The Moose

Post #: 3
RE: Burn baby burn - 3/10/2016 2:36:08 PM   
Fallschirmjager

With 85 flood damage, she is so low in the water that the water rushing over the deck should put the fire out

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 4
RE: Burn baby burn - 3/10/2016 3:34:18 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fallschirmjager

With 85 flood damage, she is so low in the water that the water rushing over the deck should put the fire out

It's very bad flooding, true, but system is low for that much flooding, and it's in a port. A pretty good chance she survives a day. I've moved ships short distances with flooding in the 90s. Once a CV with 98 flooding; she survived and was fully repaired.

The Moose

(in reply to Fallschirmjager)
Post #: 5
RE: Burn baby burn - 3/10/2016 4:15:54 PM   
Alfred

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: guytipton41

And this is the base.

I've never seen this. Not for two weeks. Your System damage is not that bad either. Fourteen random rolls that maintain Fires 1 is highly suspicious. You might try to take her off the pier for a turn and see if you can un-stick it. Your flooding should be survivable for a day in a port.

If that doesn't work maybe Michael can tweak the save. Those Fires should be out.

Not likely to be something michaelm can easily tweek. Even if assuming it is a bug which at best is probably only a 50/50 call.

Have a look at s.14 of my ship repair 101 guide. What is at play here looks very much to be the repair manager working on the bands.

That ship is not going to sink with 1 fire irrespective of how long it remains. But the flotation damage level, especially for a Japanese ship, is in sinking territory. Hence the Repair Manager is sending all the free resources to deal with the flotation damage.

Alfred

Post #: 6
RE: Burn baby burn - 3/10/2016 4:22:28 PM   
Admiral DadMan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alfred

Not likely to be something michaelm can easily tweek. Even if assuming it is a bug which at best is probably only a 50/50 call.

Have a look at s.14 of my ship repair 101 guide. What is at play here looks very much to be the repair manager working on the bands.

That ship is not going to sink with 1 fire irrespective of how long it remains. But the flotation damage level, especially for a Japanese ship, is in sinking territory. Hence the Repair Manager is sending all the free resources to deal with the flotation damage.

Alfred

I suppose then that the question is if any SYS/FLT/ENG damage has dropped during those turns. That would confirm what Alfred is positing.

Scenario 127: "Scraps of Paper"
(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 7
RE: Burn baby burn - 3/10/2016 4:28:59 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

Alfred

I thought Fires were outside the Repair Manager band passes. In their own realm as it were.

The Moose

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 8
RE: Burn baby burn - 3/10/2016 4:37:09 PM   
jwolf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

I thought Fires were outside the Repair Manager band passes. In their own realm as it were.

That was my understanding as well -- fire takes priority over everything else, and in fact no other repairs will even be attempted if there is any fire. Is this wrong?

Post #: 9
RE: Burn baby burn - 3/10/2016 4:39:34 PM   
Alfred

Yes but the resources used to douse a fire are also used to do ship repairs.  It is that dual usage which makes it a 50/50 call on it being a bug and why a tweek is not necessarily an easy task.

Alfred

Post #: 10
RE: Burn baby burn - 3/10/2016 4:39:45 PM   
Fallschirmjager

I thought damage was tackled as fires first and always.
In fact, I thought until fires were 0 that no other repair could take place.
Am I wrong about this?

< Message edited by Fallschirmjager -- 3/10/2016 4:50:48 PM >

Post #: 11
RE: Burn baby burn - 3/10/2016 4:43:35 PM   
Alfred

An 85 (70 major) flotation is a real threat.  A 1 fire is not.

Alfred

Post #: 12
RE: Burn baby burn - 3/10/2016 5:42:58 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

An 85 (70 major) flotation is a real threat.  A 1 fire is not.

Alfred

True. But what tweaked me was a fire of 1 for two weeks. It is still causing system damage as long as it burns. It was the duration that seemed weird.

The Moose

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 13
RE: Burn baby burn - 3/10/2016 6:28:09 PM   
Revthought

Maybe use her to roast marshmallows? Or a good old fashioned fire ship. Light her ablaze and ram her into something. ;)

Sorry, all I can offer you are bad jokes.

Post #: 14
RE: Burn baby burn - 3/11/2016 1:57:05 AM   
BBfanboy

Since a ship with a fire cannot dock and use base naval support to help with damage control, putting it into a TF (with another ship to help with the flooding) might allow the crew to deal with that smoldering fire in the toke room and then disband again.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Revthought)
Post #: 15
RE: Burn baby burn - 3/11/2016 4:23:40 AM   
PaxMondo

I've had this before and yes I had to fiddle with the ship in and out of TF's. Eventually I have saved the ships.

If JWE was still around here, he would (likely) label it a memory leak issue and it may well be. I do know that since he brought that up that I no longer run AE with Tracker and Reporter both open and I haven't had the issue since. Prior, I had seen it maybe 3 times(?).

Pax

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 16
RE: Burn baby burn - 3/11/2016 12:55:46 PM   
guytipton41

Hi Folks,

I'll try putting her in a TF with an AD and see if that shakes something loose. Thanx for all the info.

Cheers,
Guy

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 17
RE: Burn baby burn - 3/11/2016 6:11:27 PM   
Lowpe

I have seen this before, & I believe Pax is correct...

Post #: 18
RE: Burn baby burn - 3/11/2016 10:59:11 PM   
guytipton41

quote:

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo

I've had this before and yes I had to fiddle with the ship in and out of TF's. Eventually I have saved the ships.

If JWE was still around here, he would (likely) label it a memory leak issue and it may well be. I do know that since he brought that up that I no longer run AE with Tracker and Reporter both open and I haven't had the issue since. Prior, I had seen it maybe 3 times(?).

Hi Pax,

Not using Tracker or Reporter this game. It's a Dec 8 Grand Campaign with Millersan as the allies. And he's damned aggressive - and lucky. A DMS out of PH sunk two AOs on Dec 11 after they spent two days refueling each other (120 NM per day?) as best I can tell. He claims he was just looking for subs.

Cheers,
Guy

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 19
RE: Burn baby burn - 3/14/2016 12:16:00 PM   
John 3rd

quote:

ORIGINAL: Revthought

Maybe use her to roast marshmallows? Or a good old fashioned fire ship. Light her ablaze and ram her into something. ;)

Sorry, all I can offer you are bad jokes.

Bet is one of those smoldering mattress fires!

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to Revthought)
Post #: 20
RE: Burn baby burn - 3/14/2016 12:34:07 PM   
guytipton41

Hi Folks,

Thanx for all the replies, even the smart-axx ones. I put the DD into a TF disbanded it the next day and viola! Fire is out. Also knocked off the 11 points of non-major float damage. I'll never know if was 'kicking' the system or a better die roll.

Cheers,
Guy

Ps. Could it have been a display issue where the DD was actually being repaired but the "display record" wasn't?

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 21
RE: Burn baby burn - 3/14/2016 2:18:21 PM   
oaltinyay

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fallschirmjager

I thought damage was tackled as fires first and always.
In fact, I thought until fires were 0 that no other repair could take place.
Am I wrong about this?

no you are right

Post #: 22
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Burn baby burn Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI