Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Out of Gas Forever?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa >> Out of Gas Forever? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Out of Gas Forever? - 3/18/2016 5:46:48 PM   
wadortch

Hello
PG 1 has now received no fuel for 4 turns. Screenshot of the train situation attached. Note that the PG needs 7 trains to deliver what it needs, as seen in the screenshot the "chokepoint" eats up this number of trains. My relationship with Gerke is Terrible. So is this his doing and is the only way to get fuel flowing back to PG 1 (other than air delivery) to make him happy again?

If so, I suggest that future beta patches should consider a firing squad type card for the Germans!

Attachment (1)

Walt
Post #: 1
RE: Out of Gas Forever? - 3/19/2016 12:46:03 AM   
Gunnulf

Fuel for AGS is almost always going to be the tightest. You have 50% further to go to Rostov in comparison to the other objectives, and even if you convert rail at a good pace its still going to stretch your rail effort. As far as I'm aware aside from early on when you can rest and motorise your workers every other event will slow down the conversion rate, and once its lost, its gone (which seems a shame that as chief you are powerless to inject resources). With care it is possible to get 1 PzGp to Rostov and beyond, however I would never (again...) allow extra artillery ammo for AGS. Thats a massive -8 (or -4) to your capacity (which you can't reverse - which again seems strange). Without that you would be just in balance right now, and with further conversion reducing your rail effort you would improve slightly further. But with a -8 deficit it will take ages before the fuel flows, if at all. You might be able to shift your FSB back west if you are lucky and reduce the rail effort, but usually not.
Luckily (from experience of being stuck like this...) it is perfectly possible to grind to Rostov with infantry alone, but the Panzers are going nowhere fast anytime soon.
AGC you can usually get away with some extra artillery ammo for a -4 modifier, and AGN can cope with a -4 or -8 for extra artillery, but I usually chicken out and keep to -4.

(in reply to wadortch)
Post #: 2
RE: Out of Gas Forever? - 3/19/2016 2:32:38 AM   
wadortch

Thanks Gunnulf for the response.

Great insight re the ammo increase and its effects and agree, there should be opportunities to undo these kinds of things.
Will press on with the infantry who are not doing too badly.

More generally, here's to hoping that Vic and Cameron are considering some additions to the command side of the game to deal with situations like this!

Walt

(in reply to Gunnulf)
Post #: 3
RE: Out of Gas Forever? - 3/21/2016 10:38:05 AM   
lancer

Hi Wardortch,

The trains lost to the 'Chokepoint' are a result of not having full German gauge rail through to your FSB. The entire cargo has to be offloaded at the chokepoint (typically in less than ideal conditions) and reloaded onto Soviet gauge locos' and rolling stock.

It's not a given and has a % probability attached to it.

Back on the day it was, at times, a major drama and there was one instance of a choke point in AGN being so bad, and for such an extended period, that the Führer was notified about it.

The rail conversion battalions were in critical short supply from the start of the campaign and for the duration of '41 (they made serious efforts to do something about it past this point). There were no spares in the cupboard although it's on my list to provide that option if you run dry.

Cheers,
Cameron

(in reply to wadortch)
Post #: 4
RE: Out of Gas Forever? - 3/21/2016 5:59:43 PM   
wadortch

Hi Cameron and thanks for the reply.

Going on 6 turns now, relationship with Gerke now at -64 which I see produces a +15% chance the chokepoint will stay choked.

I expect Runstedt would have ordered Gerke taken out (or played a I will make you famous if you fix this card) and/or called Adolf directly at this point!

Walt

(in reply to lancer)
Post #: 5
RE: Out of Gas Forever? - 3/22/2016 1:11:28 AM   
lancer

Hi Wadortch,

Von Runstedt probably didn't have the authority to remove Gercke as he had official positions in both OKH and OKW.

It's another one of the fault lines built into the German Command Structure (splitting control over logistics between two people/organisations instead of one) that cost them dearly.

Cheers,
Cameron

(in reply to wadortch)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa >> Out of Gas Forever? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI